Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? (2445 Views)

This Government Is A Government Of Sadists - FFK / I Know What I’m Doing, Buhari Tells Critic, Dele Momodu / My Discussion With A Government Contractor Who Wants GEJ Out - Agabai23 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by slybase(m): 4:49pm On Nov 08, 2005
I have often wondered why everybody seem to criticise every government. imagine my shock on sunday when a pastor said all the governors are theives. does that mean there is no room for good leadership?
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by Jakumo(m): 6:52pm On Nov 08, 2005
An old Chinese proverb states that the spectators always see clearly what the participants grope for in vain.  In other words, it is easier to criticize those in power than it is to be in power.  All told, a healthy questioning of authority figures, either by the press or by the public, will help discourage those in government from abusing their positions of public trust, generally speaking and with notable exceptions on the African continent.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by elphem(m): 1:01pm On Nov 09, 2005
I wrote an article on this topic recently and i have it in imbibed that sentimentalism in criticism is what make it bad. Everybody criticize  but to impact personal interest  na the wahala.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by mckaycee(m): 2:11pm On Nov 09, 2005
If your leadership style is bad, you are boud to have critics. Your critics must out-number your supporters.

The masses are suffering and they are not showing concern over anything.

God only wil save us....Amen
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by ababoy1(m): 2:35pm On Nov 09, 2005
Why is everybody a critic?
Because its what we are good at... Give us some credit...
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by mckaycee(m): 4:49pm On Nov 10, 2005
I don't understand, how many of us criticise Akunyili and NAFDAC, tell me.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by boos0: 5:42pm On Nov 10, 2005
Yes..
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by elphem(m): 9:52am On Nov 11, 2005
Yes, i really do. What about Baba. (OBJ).
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by mowapa(m): 3:13pm On Mar 01, 2007
My criticism is born out of love for Nigeria. Anyone in position of leadership should be ready to face healthy criticism, that I believe is the way to move the country forward.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by CrudeOil2(m): 5:03pm On Mar 01, 2007
No light,No roads,No water,Poverty striking my neighbours,hunger killing friends.

Why wont i criticise the government.

Tell me

Nigeria makes over 150 million dollars everyday,still no basic amenities.

OBJ is Killing us

And he would die angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by ladebiXL: 6:08pm On Mar 01, 2007
Then why not critize him for bringing Akunyili on board his government or you were the ones that voted her into power.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by azorjiu(m): 7:09pm On Mar 01, 2007
Nigerians are the biggest problem of nigeria.

A swedish friend once told me that going by the way nigerians sell their country, nobody would patronise them.

It is a shame that we only see the negative aspects of our government. We always hope for the worst and when our wishes come true we start screaming.

We even go beyond the boundaries of criticism to the point of blackmail.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by CrudeOil2(m): 7:43pm On Mar 01, 2007
Nigerians are not selling their country in any way.
Let me tell you something.If OBJ had given us at least electricity when he came into power,I would love him with all my heart.But the bastard is so numb and foolish.thats why people re dying everyday.the swedish people have electricity,so they dont have to complain about anything.
Our rulers make us to hate Nigeria,because they embezzle the money meant for the welfare of the masses.Thats why Nigerians hate Nigeria.The swedish people have leaders who are educated and they can think and they were also voted by the citizens.But here selfish kingmakers install tyrants into power.

Nigerians are not the problem of Nigeria,but the rulers are.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by Jaybaba(m): 8:08pm On Mar 01, 2007
To tell you the truth most Nigerians on the street are even indifferent i.e they are not really concerned the moment they are out of the problem spot. Only a few Nigerians e.g the ones in Nairaland political forum are concerned and a few others.

But we must be concerned and make criticisms (constructive though) wherever possible. Nigeria is not working as it is today and we must say it.

We neeed CHANGE AND we are going to bring it to happen.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by azorjiu(m): 8:18pm On Mar 01, 2007
Read the swedish history. The hardship they underwent surpasses what we are going through in nigeria today. They didn't get to where they are today by heaping loads of blames on their government.

Our problem is that instead of proffering solutions, we are quick to criticize and condemn.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by gbadex1(m): 8:56pm On Mar 01, 2007
True story aziorju. . . The average Nigerians love to bitch about anything as far as it is bitchable but when it comes to solving what's on ground, that becomes a problem.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by abdkabir(m): 9:23pm On Mar 01, 2007
Thats because we love Naija.

Really sha , I guess we should do more. smiley
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by mowapa(m): 10:01pm On Mar 01, 2007
@ azorjiu

I don't know the story of Sweden yet, but would bring myself up to date on that. A proactive and listening gov is what has continuously eluded Nigeria, I'm sure Swedish are culturally homogeneous people unlike here where there are competing Intrest. If the people of Niger Delta decide to remain non-militant in pushing their demand successive government will continue to side line them. We are just unfortunate in Nigeria and by extension Africa to have political leaders who only pay attention to the most noisy person.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by dayokanu(m): 9:19am On Mar 02, 2007
You think the criticism are unnecessary then you have to see the reality on ground beyond the praise singer and sychophant who would tell you that the country is improving; political assasination all around, No Electricity, no water, no employment, Niger Delta unrest worsening, roads and other amenities and almost non existent and corruption is everywhere then what is there to celebrate about the govt.
People praise Akunyili and Donald Duke that means Nigerians are not unnecesarily critical.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by McKren(m): 9:59am On Mar 02, 2007
If you were in UK or US I would have advised you to visit Naija and see why people are mad with the Government but if you are typing from Ibadan then I have nothing to say. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by Afam(m): 10:41am On Mar 02, 2007
Criticisms based on reality and facts are good but those based on lies and misinformation are bad.

Generally speaking though, a lot of Nigerians like to criticize the government because it is easier to criticize than to make any impact even if within our own immediate environment.

Let us also not forget the criminals, fraudsters and corrupt Nigerians that have been displaced by some of the governments policies that see nothing good about the government.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by donnymikky(m): 12:55pm On Mar 02, 2007
We criticise them because we are at the recieving end. They all have their children study abroad because our educational system is zero; they go for medical check up abroad because there are no hospitals in Nigeria but clinics; they have free MTN, GLOBACOM, VMOBILE, STARCOMS, etc line with free units but we have to pay through our noses to make use of these services; they fly in government and private jets while we have to go through the menace of pothole ridden roads coupled with long ques at fuel stations; they sleep well in their various houses with full security while we keep vigils at night against the possible attacks by armed robbers; worse of all they are protected by immunity which Yorubas reffer to as I M U N I T I but the law has no provissin for our safety, Many reasons to criticise these bunch of gold suckers.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by dblock(m): 1:05pm On Mar 02, 2007
But why do Nigerians criticize everything, even developments and new initiatives, it seems to me that there are a lot of Nigerians that criticize anything, wether it appears good or bad.

Eg.
New Hotel-----------The money should have been spent on better things
As opposed to------Good development, this will mean better lodging for Nigerians and tourists alike
New Powerplant-------probably just another fruitless project
as opposed to-------We have had dissapointing projects in the past, but this one seems promissing

Get My Drift, If you have no faith whatsoever in Nigeria, then fly out to UK/US etc. and if you can't afford it, then jump the fence to Benin, Niger or Cameroon, who is stopping you
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by ono(m): 1:51pm On Mar 02, 2007
donnymikky:

We criticise them because we are at the recieving end. They all have their children study abroad because our educational system is zero; they go for medical check up abroad because there are no hospitals in Nigeria but clinics; they have free MTN, GLOBACOM, VMOBILE, STARCOMS, etc line with free units but we have to pay through our noses to make use of these services; they fly in government and private jets while we have to go through the menace of pothole ridden roads coupled with long ques at fuel stations; they sleep well in their various houses with full security while we keep vigils at night against the possible attacks by armed robbers; worse of all they are protected by immunity which Yorubas reffer to as I M U N I T I but the law has no provissin for our safety, Many reasons to criticise these bunch of gold suckers.

True words.

But a bunch of suckers feel otherwise. They think we should be proferring solutions, when in reality the solutions to our problems stare us all (including the bunch of misinformed, misguided, opportunistic, never-do-well, gold diggers, and idiots at Abuja) in the face. Do I need to advise some Minister of works to put the East-West road in order before he needs to do so? What about the Benin-Lagos expressway that has been a source of concern for everyone. The list goes on.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by gbadex1(m): 4:54pm On Mar 02, 2007
And that's it? <mimicking> please repair blah blah West Road. . .

Typical Nigerian mindset, bitch all day long but offer no possible detailed solutions to problems at hand.

It's far more than all that bullshit talk and mindset that anything that has the semblance of a government in Nigeria is evil.

Frag it, there are good as well bad policies. But the normal Nigerian penchant is to condemn whatever policy as far as it comes from the government.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by donnymikky(m): 10:13am On Mar 03, 2007
And that's it? <mimicking> please repair blah blah West Road. . .

Typical Nigerian mindset, bitch all day long but offer no possible detailed solutions to problems at hand.

It's far more than all that bullshit talk and mindset that anything that has the semblance of a government in Nigeria is evil.

Frag it, there are good as well bad policies. But the normal Nigerian penchant is to condemn whatever policy as far as it comes from the government.

If the government expect citizens to proffer solutions to what ever problem facing the country I think then they are not suppose to be in position of power. A good leader must be versatile and proactive, always ready to offer the best to their citizens. By the way, of what good is it to offer solutions to problem when we dont have the means to apply the solutions?
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by alabiyemmy(m): 11:46am On Mar 11, 2007
all Nigerians are critics with no solution to offer. empty barrels making the loudest noise.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by mowapa(m): 2:57pm On Mar 11, 2007
all Nigerians are critics with no solution to offer. empty barrels making the loudest noise.

What solution have you proffered
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by alabiyemmy(m): 2:58pm On Mar 11, 2007
mo wapa:

What solution have you proffered

I am not a foolish critic. I dont criticise the government or anyone as I dont take myself to know better than them.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by Nijababe: 3:52pm On Mar 11, 2007
I really think we have critiqued long enough and obviously our criticism are falling on deaf ears, i think it\s time we take our nation into our hands and get our leadres to be accountable, we might not have access to aso rock but i believe we all have a local govt chairman around us, maybe if we start asking them to explain why things are not working at the local level the leaders will wake up and realize that it's no longer business as usual,
If we look at the so called govt. their number compared to the whole nation is minimal I'm not sure if the whole leadership of this country is up too 40,000 and they are holding a whole 140million to ransome, i think it's time for us to stand up and say No more nonesense. and if there is a way to get some of these leaders to read what people think of them here on nairaland maybe that would help, embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by mowapa(m): 4:16pm On Mar 11, 2007
I am not a foolish critic. I don't criticise the government or anyone as I don't take myself to know better than them.

I guess Gani Fawehinm is

I guess Awolowo was

I guess Wole soyinka is

Maybe you want to call or assume that Achebe is lipsrsealed

What we lack is a proactive government and as a result, the people are constantly complaining. From the police who has no petrol in their vehicle to the gov office worker claiming lack of photocopying machine to make a document available.

The only option made available to most of us is to be vocal to get their attention and V-O-C-A-L will I remain USELESS GOVT.
Re: Why is Every Nigerian a Government Critic? by chidichris(m): 5:01pm On Mar 11, 2007
because it is only in nigeria that an administration starts and ends with politics.
the only realistic project that our government has is to hand over to their own person(s).
unfortunately, bcs nothing is working and only the politicians that are actives so everyone turns to be a politician.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta / The Pdp Has Won In Kwara State's Governorship Election / Forex Reserves Hit Four-month High At $34.67bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.