Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,745 members, 7,827,752 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education (3455 Views)

NASS Leadership: Again, Tinubu Blasts Buhari, Atiku, Says They Are Disloyal / Any State Govt That Ignores Igbos Does So At The Risk Of Its Economy - Suswan / Atiku Says Violence May Be Inevitable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by congoshine(m): 7:13pm On Jun 28, 2009
Imagine this semi-literate man calling out other people on education sad sad

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar said on Saturday in Zaria that successive Nigerian governments since 1970 have not given education the attention it deserves.
The former vice president, who spoke at a re-union ceremony and launch of a publication, “Who’s Who in the Faculty,” organised by the Faculty of Law, Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria, said Nigeria needs governments “that understand the role of education” to be able to correct the negative consequences of the serial neglect of the critical sector.
He said, “In the 1970s, our expansionary government took on more and more of the responsibility of providing education at all three levels. But as government revenues declined it became increasingly difficult for government alone to meet those obligations. And education has not always been given the priority that it deserves by succeeding governments.
“The result is that today, we have decaying infrastructure in our public schools, increasingly inadequate qualified teachers and school administrators, low morale among teachers and students, the menace of cultism and other vices, and increasingly low regard by organisations and agencies here and abroad for the certificates awarded by our public schools.”
According to Atiku, “In order to rectify these, we need governments that understand the role of education in national development and have the skills and political will to prioritise education and make the necessary investments in that sector.
“We also need a principled reversal to the era of shared responsibility for education. Clearly, government cannot and need not do it alone, even when education is given the topmost priority. Partnerships with private individuals and organisations are critical. And people need choice and the healthy competition inherent in a mixed system.”

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=147269
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by walakolobo: 7:17pm On Jun 28, 2009
The years wey im dey there, wetin him do? Thick neck drogba.
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by dean2725: 7:37pm On Jun 28, 2009
I dont blame these guys seriously. We always forget history so easily in Nigeria that people like Atiku are still allowed to be talking in Nigeria. Was Atiku not the VP for a good 8yrs??, . i laugh grin
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by MrCrackles(m): 7:38pm On Jun 28, 2009
ATIKU is a bastard!
What did he do about it when he was in power? angry
Bloody vagabond. . . . . .
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by Tudor6(f): 7:53pm On Jun 28, 2009
He's an idiot! When he was V.P did he value education?
When ASUU were striking then all he cared about was how to topple his boss OBJ. What a hypocrite!
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by Gekko(m): 8:34pm On Jun 28, 2009
I don't care much for Atiku, but he did found a University in Yola state, http://www.abti-american.edu.ng/index.htm

I think he would've done a heck a lot better than Yaradua.
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by kaypumpin2(m): 8:52pm On Jun 28, 2009
You were the de facto President from 1999-2002,what were your contribution 
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by multebrain(m): 9:14pm On Jun 28, 2009
DONT BLAME ATIKU HE WANT TO GO BACK TO ASO ROCK AS PRESIDENT ASO ROCK NA HIN PAPA HOUSE GO WILL SAVE US FROM ALL THIS PEOPLE OBJ ATIKU IBB YARDUA AND OTHERS [i][/i][flash=200,200][/flash][color=#000099][/color]
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by kufreabasi(m): 1:02pm On Jun 29, 2009
congoshine:

Imagine this semi-literate man calling out other people on education sad sad

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar said on Saturday in Zaria that successive Nigerian governments since 1970 have not given education the attention it deserves.
The former vice president, who spoke at a re-union ceremony and launch of a publication, “Who’s Who in the Faculty,” organised by the Faculty of Law, Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria, said Nigeria needs governments “that understand the role of education” to be able to correct the negative consequences of the serial neglect of the critical sector.
He said, “In the 1970s, our expansionary government took on more and more of the responsibility of providing education at all three levels. But as government revenues declined it became increasingly difficult for government alone to meet those obligations. And education has not always been given the priority that it deserves by succeeding governments.
“The result is that today, we have decaying infrastructure in our public schools, increasingly inadequate qualified teachers and school administrators, low morale among teachers and students, the menace of cultism and other vices, and increasingly low regard by organisations and agencies here and abroad for the certificates awarded by our public schools.”
According to Atiku, “In order to rectify these, we need governments that understand the role of education in national development and have the skills and political will to prioritise education and make the necessary investments in that sector.
“We also need a principled reversal to the era of shared responsibility for education. Clearly, government cannot and need not do it alone, even when education is given the topmost priority. Partnerships with private individuals and organisations are critical. And people need choice and the healthy competition inherent in a mixed system.”

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=147269

Atiku? these are the kind of peoples that bring shame to this our country with their nonesence political tonque
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by ak21(m): 1:09pm On Jun 29, 2009
Its a great chagrin that persons like Atiku could talk about delapidated infrastructure in the educational sector. If i may ask, where was he when ASUU embarked on what today is known as the longest strike in Nigeria. I don't care if he built a havard university in his home town. The truth is that he hard his opportunity as the number 2 man in Nigerian government and he made no impact. So, why is he blabbing now?
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by abhosts(m): 1:12pm On Jun 29, 2009
It is only in Nigeria that politicians can talk like this, because they know that Nigerians have a very short memory.
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by MUZBO(m): 1:19pm On Jun 29, 2009
kay_pumpin:

You were the de facto President from 1999-2002,what were your contribution 
Abi o! It is God that will punish him and his allies of that period.
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by kufreabasi(m): 1:23pm On Jun 29, 2009
when a vulture wants disgrace, it goes to where they are selling creyfish.
Atiku has mouth to talk. He must surely get what he's looking for in nairaland
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by philip0906(m): 1:29pm On Jun 29, 2009
Gekko:

I don't care much for Atiku, but he did found a University in Yola state, http://www.abti-american.edu.ng/index.htm

I think he would've done a heck a lot better than Yaradua.
which university? how many nigerians can afford it?abeg he should shut up nd go nd rest. angry
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by Epiphany(m): 1:54pm On Jun 29, 2009
In Atiku's defense, you can probably say that he started a University in Yola, ABTI because he understands the value of a good education. Otherwise, we are bound to ask him what he did when he was the VP of Nigeria for a whole 8 years.

HOWEVER, knowing the kind of person OBJ is, even if Atiku had good intentions for our educational sector, do you think OBJ would have listened to his advice? If OBJ had other plans, will he not have thrown Atiku's suggestions away? Furthermore, we all know that the VP position is only a 'figurehead' position - that of a spare tyre. Atiku could not have done ANYTHING, even if he wished to do something.

I am not an Atiku apologist, neither am i canvassing for him. As far as i am concerned, i think he and all other politicians are crooks and opportunists. However, forget the man but agree with his statement. He is basically confessing what we all know, pray and hope for.

Even though the devil is the devil, he still knows and confesses that God is God. Even though Atiku did nothing for education, he still knows its value!

Silly Man grin
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by philip0906(m): 2:12pm On Jun 29, 2009
@Epiphany
long story u just narrated there.dat was y i asked in my earlier post,
which university? how many nigerians can afford it?
Even though the devil is the devil, he still knows and confesses that God is God. Even though Atiku did nothing for education, he still knows its value!
B'cos he opened a 1milloin naira a year university,means he knows the value of education?(after all Obj cried during the burial of his wife.but will i say cos he shed tears he knows the value of life?) shocked shocked
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by Nezan(m): 2:32pm On Jun 29, 2009
Tudór:

He's an idiot! When he was V.P did he value education?
When ASUU were striking then all he cared about was how to topple his boss OBJ. What a hypocrite!
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by Fhemmmy: 2:38pm On Jun 29, 2009
I think he needs the education more than everyone else.
Cos education btw the walls is not all that is needed, but education of the mind and conscience, useless he-goat
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by ozenyen(m): 2:43pm On Jun 29, 2009
He is a dull man with poor memory.
They bastardize our educational system and set up their private univeristies with our resources.
surely very soon God's vegeance will come on them all .
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by slimes(m): 2:46pm On Jun 29, 2009
Atiku thinks Nigerians are gullible; he wants to gradually get into government and still more money. His plans have failed because we know how people like him end up.
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by itumama: 2:58pm On Jun 29, 2009
It easy said than done.He said it so let him act first en we wil thank him for a job well done.Afterall he has nigeria momey in posession for good eight years.
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by Fhemmmy: 2:59pm On Jun 29, 2009
slimes:

Atiku thinks Nigerians are gullible; he wants to gradually get into government and still more money. His plans have failed because we know how people like him end up.

he is playing the game cos he knows Nigerians will allow him.
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by Tudor6(f): 3:06pm On Jun 29, 2009
It won't happen again!
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by PurestBoy(m): 3:08pm On Jun 29, 2009
Can somebody pls give me Atiku's phone number? I want to talk to him directly because he may not know if Nairaland exists or not
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by Kobojunkie: 3:23pm On Jun 29, 2009
As much as I hate to say it, the man is right. I remember engaging some of our "enlightened heads on Nairaland" a couple of months ago on the state of education in Nigeria. Since then, things have decayed even further with no resolution in sight. We need to, as soon as possible, do something about education in that country. It is definitely in the worst state ever.
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by asha2: 3:34pm On Jun 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

As much as I hate to say it, the man is right. I remember engaging some of our "enlightened heads on Nairaland" a couple of months ago on the state of education in Nigeria. Since then, things have decayed even further with no resolution in sight. We need to, as soon as possible, do something about education in that country. It is definitely in the worst state ever.

Nothing can be done until we realise that nigeria as a country in reality is non existent.
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by gkay: 4:11pm On Jun 29, 2009
he's a muderf***. What a contradiction, he was vice-president for years that had a series of ASU strike actions, now he wants to use the strike as a period to discredit d present govt, which is no way beta, things are bad but we are not fools! angry
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by Fhemmmy: 4:14pm On Jun 29, 2009
Tudór:

It won't happen again!

Nice thinking.
Nigerians will sell their future for bowls of rice and all these people knows the password to Nigerians' loyalty
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by neeyee(m): 4:30pm On Jun 29, 2009

Who is right? What was his own contribution to education when he was there? Atiku is out of his mind!!!
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by Kobojunkie: 4:33pm On Jun 29, 2009
Is he wrong in saying that the state of Education is APPALLING in Nigeria? Regardless of what you claim he did or did not know, that proclaimation is factual.
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by philip0906(m): 4:39pm On Jun 29, 2009
Is he wrong in saying that the state of Education is APPALLING in Nigeria? Regardless of what you claim he did or did not know, that proclaimation is factual.
story! we don't need him 2 tell us about the problems he was a part of.we r not blind.all we r saying is ATIKU shut up! sad
Re: Atiku Says We Need Govt That Values Education by Kobojunkie: 4:50pm On Jun 29, 2009
LoL . . . . grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fashola Inaugurates Okota-itire Bridge / GEJ Travels To France To Meet With Investors / 'the Dark Side Of Nelson Mandela' By Andrew Bolt • Herald Sun • December 9, 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.