Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,899 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

LG Fixed A Bug In G3 That Left 10 Million Phones Vulnerable To Attack - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / LG Fixed A Bug In G3 That Left 10 Million Phones Vulnerable To Attack (364 Views)

Android Bug Affects 900 Million Phones / My Gionee Phone Is In Guest Mode. How Do I Remove It? (FIXED) / How Can I Update My LG G3 That Is On T-mobile network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

LG Fixed A Bug In G3 That Left 10 Million Phones Vulnerable To Attack by timigate(m): 7:17am On Jan 29, 2016
Last Thursday, Cynet in collaboration with BugSec, discovered a serious vulnerability issue affecting LG G3 smartphones. They informed LG about the issue prior to going public with it, and the company jumped into action quickly. A patch is now available that closes the data-theft hole, and LG is encouraging all G3 owners to to get the latest update for their devices ASAP.

The bug is found in a particular app called Smart Notice that comes pre-installed on LG G3 smartphones. The notification platform serves to convey a variety of relevant information to users, but what it failed to do was analyze data thoroughly before presenting it. Researchers discovered it was possible to manipulate data in such a way that malicious code could be executed remotely.
“The vulnerability can easily lead to authentic phishing attacks and to a full denial of service (DOS) on the device,” wrote Cynet. Since the app comes pre-installed, the number of affected devices is estimated to be a whooping 10 million worldwide.
If you are interested in knowing the workings of this exploit , Ars Technica has a more comprehensive write-up detailing the two ways researchers were able to compromise devices through the bug. In the meantime, if you’ve got a G3 or know someone who does, better get that device updated before it “updates” you.
source http://www.timigate.com/2016/01/lg-fixed-bug-in-g3-that-left-10-million.html#more

Re: LG Fixed A Bug In G3 That Left 10 Million Phones Vulnerable To Attack by joey150(m): 8:50am On Jan 29, 2016
Cheap attempt in forcing us to update the damn phone.
Aint updating mine. Let em hack it.

Sick lg wont even release marshmallow ota update

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help On The Best Tariff Plan For My New Glo Sim Card / Import Phones / Clean UK Used Q10 For Grab@ Ijebu Ode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.