Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,703 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna (149827 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Burn A Man's Farm In Ekiti After Being Warned (Photos) / My Little Ginger Sack Farm In The South East / Sack Farming : Diary Of My Mix Crop Sack Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by dayum212: 6:13pm On Jan 29, 2016
so nice. i heard agriculture is now very profitable.Even read this really informative piece of biz in agric you can start with little funds http://manly.ng/want-to-start-a-business-in-agriculture-consider-these-great-15-ideas/

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Analysiscorner: 6:13pm On Jan 29, 2016
vanpeele:
Hello everyone,

I recently began a sack farming project to see how possible it was to grow cucumbers in sacks. I'll like to announce that it was a successful endeavour. For those who don't have land to farm on, you all have no more excuse. It's as easy as just putting soil (which is free) in a sack and that's it. I thank all the agric, vegetables and cucumber lords of this forum. Una don try and una still dey try. Please enjoy the pics...they speak better.

Please feel free to ask any questions... grin
Very lovely . Thank you so much op. I have never seen a cucumber plant before now . Please narratethe processes for us.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by ramdris(m): 6:14pm On Jan 29, 2016
I know the Ladies are imagining thingz by mere looking at that cucumber standing erect!

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by jasper7(m): 6:17pm On Jan 29, 2016
vanpeele:
Hello everyone,

I recently began a sack farming project to see how possible it was to grow cucumbers in sacks. I'll like to announce that it was a successful endeavour. For those who don't have land to farm on, you all have no more excuse. It's as easy as just putting soil (which is free) in a sack and that's it. I thank all the agric, vegetables and cucumber lords of this forum. Una don try and una still dey try. Please enjoy the pics...they speak better.

Weldone sir... You are doing a great job. But if I may ask. Is there a particular reason you decided to use sack?

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by kobonaire(m): 6:18pm On Jan 29, 2016
Excellent efforts by the OP (@Vanpeele). Nigeria's potential for an economy that is also supported by agriculture starts with initiatives like this.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 6:18pm On Jan 29, 2016
@Agathabishen Thanks
@lalasticlala LOL...yes but the vegetable tongue
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by piagetskinner(m): 6:23pm On Jan 29, 2016
Wow! Thumbs up

B like say farming na the way now o... This one wey oil no make sense again. Where's my hoe?

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 29, 2016
I think that one that has same height with coca cola sprite bottle will be a good MACHINE for dem ladies.

And to you ladies, let there be peace for cucumbers in this country. Stop alluring our jobs to cucumbers. Nothing is gone wrong with our diccks.

2 Likes

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 6:26pm On Jan 29, 2016
Don @jasper7 Yes.

1. Water is an issue in our farm. The sack retains water better in the dry season.
2. I planted 1200 seeds in a very small space (4 plants per sack...yes it's too much) to show you don't need a lot of acreage to farm.
3. Manure and fertilizer stay in the sack

6 Likes

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Chartey(m): 6:27pm On Jan 29, 2016
Vanpeele i don't understand something. Why take the trouble when you'll still put the sacks on the ground? Why not just farm on the land you put the sacks on?
Please explain.

2 Likes

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Ndifreke12(m): 6:27pm On Jan 29, 2016
vanpeele:
@Austin234 I have 300 sacks. The sacks cost me nothing cos I approached a block maker for the cement bags but in Kaduna you can get them for 50 naira for a dozen, 5 or 10 naira for one. The soil is free.

Bought 5 bags of cow manure @ 200 per size 6 sack, so that's 1k.
Pesticide (fighter 35ec 500ml) for 1k, Murano F1 for 4900 naira at the time (the price is now 6500 due to dollar) and the other varieties for free grin. In total that's 6900 naira.

Didn't sell my first harvest. Shared it for blessing sake but my second harvest (this Wednesday), I harvested two bags from three rows. Market price was 1500 per bag. Sold mine at 2500 grin. Cucumbers on the other rows are still growing in size so I hope I have more next week. I hope this helps.
what's the maturity period?
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Kx: 6:29pm On Jan 29, 2016
@op,

Can it be cultivated in the south ie,lagos and east or is it only the northern weather conditions and climate that supports cucumber cultivation?

If yes, where can one access the seed to plant in lagos?

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Asiri1991: 6:30pm On Jan 29, 2016
See untouched hecters of land and people are building ten storeys in Lagos an all the states in the east.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by volo112: 6:30pm On Jan 29, 2016
while others are wasting their time with politics, op is doing some thing great which i subscribe to. it is not all about crude oil. if we all try to use our hands to productive ventures like this, nigeria will be a better place. instead of waiting for the govt to help diversify our economy, we ourselves can start in a little way like this. iam getting tired of all the stories of baby mamas, mr a or mrs b wore this outfit, this celebrity has exposed cleavage through this outfit. the mods should be placing good threads like this on front page

8 Likes

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by fkj950ax(m): 6:31pm On Jan 29, 2016
@vanpeele
Great Job. Am inspired and must do this before Q2 ends.

Can we talk?

1. Will cucumber grow in SW Nigeria? Ogun State
2. Where did you buy your 4 varieties planted?
3. How long from planting to first harvest?

Ple so we get to the root of the matter for us.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 6:32pm On Jan 29, 2016
@Chartey To show everyone that you can farm on tile, tar or concrete. Even on your roof sef

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 6:38pm On Jan 29, 2016
@Kx you can do it any where and it musn't be cucumber. I have a friend with a pepper plant in sack and it's about 4 years old. I won't advice sack farming during the raining season. if your weather is cool, plant cool weather crops and if it's warm plant warm weather crops...
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by HRich(m): 6:41pm On Jan 29, 2016
vanpeele:
Hello everyone,

You stated those who don't have Lands'' there's no excuses not to farm abi and that's why yours is been farmed inside a sack?

How come, most of them are being kept on the Land and not in a sack being kept inside a Compound?

It's really a good job and a good effort. Keep it up.

I have some empty lands in kaduna that i can lane you incase you need more.

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jan 29, 2016
vanpeele:
Hello everyone,

So it's a root crop
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by justiz5(m): 6:54pm On Jan 29, 2016
vanpeele:
@DICON2

I planted 4 varieties
Murano
General Lee
Olympian
Nagano

Murano was the best (obviously). Nagano is the second biggest but it doesn't do well in the harmattan AT ALL. The most common up here are super marketer, marketer, poinsett, poinsett 76 and darina mix hybrid.
I love cucumber, can you give us some to eat

No picture Pishure or I don't.......gringrin
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Sadim007(m): 6:54pm On Jan 29, 2016
Moral of this achievement... Land is expensive, Soil is free. You almost defied the laws of economics #originality #doneinnaija more grease to your elbow bro

2 Likes

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Donvitalis(m): 6:58pm On Jan 29, 2016
Can it grow in any soil? I'd like to try it

Meanwhile, I must commend your ingenuity.

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by banmee(m): 6:58pm On Jan 29, 2016
Destined2win:
Good one.

When I become President, I will prioritize giving people like you big loans to invest in Agriculture.

I doubt that. You are a Nigerian aren't you?
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Pataricatering(f): 7:02pm On Jan 29, 2016
You can even save more space if you erect something like wooden shelves and stack the sacks up vertically. Just a thought.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:07pm On Jan 29, 2016
vanpeele:
Hello everyone,

OP pls are they Plucking or uprooting cucumber? I mean hw is it bin harvest
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 7:07pm On Jan 29, 2016
@ndifreke12 Between 40-70 days but depends on the variety, nutrients in the soil and weather conditions.

2 Likes

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by minnato: 7:10pm On Jan 29, 2016
nzeobi:
Good one there OP.
Imagine if all the graduates have something like this to showcase. We won't be talking of unemployment.
My passion will take me there soon.

Hahaha grin if all the graduates had this, they would still be talking of unemployment.. because there would be more sellers than buyers.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Dminister(m): 7:11pm On Jan 29, 2016
vanpeele:
@DICON2

I planted 4 varieties
Murano
General Lee
Olympian
Nagano

Murano was the best (obviously). Nagano is the second biggest but it doesn't do well in the harmattan AT ALL. The most common up here are super marketer, marketer, poinsett, poinsett 76 and darina mix hybrid.

Yes Murano always the choice for ladies who cucumbate... Please plant more of Murano you will have plenty of customers here on nairaland.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 7:12pm On Jan 29, 2016
@HRich well it's the context. when you speak with an average Nigerian about farming he/she would say no "farm" land or capital. The point of all this is that any space or land (not land for bush) can be farmed on. Good question though.

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by macklef(m): 7:15pm On Jan 29, 2016
For those that dont have land to farm on according to d OP
U have no excuse.

So, where will d sack be placed? In mid heaven?

I like cocumbers tho. Welldone OP
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by AsanwaKC(f): 7:16pm On Jan 29, 2016
omo that cucumber at the last pic can do wonders...kudos to op..

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria / Acres Of farmland For Sale At N60,000 Per Acre / How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.