Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,239 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today (48680 Views)

Cleaner's Son Gets Employed At Her Workplace (Photo) / An Office Cleaner Needed Urgently in Ikeja / Urgent Vacancy - Office Cleaner In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Slimszy: 8:34am On Jan 30, 2016
monacobull:
Let me start off by saying at this point i believe Nigerian graduates have a lot of work to do. Its taking a lot of effort for me to contain the level of disappointment im currently feeling towards our university leavers. I work in a multinational company and i have had the chance to partake in the interview process of some roles the company advertised. Most of the time im usually appalled at the errors and goofs i see on CV's. So let me get to the main story.

Six graduates came into the office this morning to interview for an internship position. Which was going to pay a basic salary and also some nice commissions. All the interviewees were very disappointing despite the very easy questions which was for a very simple role. In fact none of them showed enough quality to half consider them for the job. undecided

After the last person left, I and my colleague had already given up and hoped

OP... Get something right pls... Experience remains the mother of all teachers.... That cleaner has more experience than those graduates pls... That helped him in the course of interview... Irregardless of ones level of educational qualification(s)... I believe being educated is about knowledge
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by jaez(m): 11:35am On Jan 30, 2016
stonecoldcafe:

What sort of questions did you ask the graduates? What did they say wrong? Don't just lambaste, add your 2cent (helpful tips) for others.
I totally agree wit dis...@least odas can learn frm it and nt repeat d same mistake...dat will b more useful dan all dis drama jare....abeg enlighten d ones wey won know...am tired of all dis attack and counterattack joor..:\

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by jashar(f): 2:01pm On Jan 30, 2016
@ monacobull, no vex ooo. You conducted the interview based on referral, a.k.a 'man know man' abi?
You didn't have a large enough sample to base your conclusion on about Nigerian graduates. Some people like the cleaner are just waiting for the right opportunity to show what they've got.

And I seriously don't see the need for all the bashing. undecided

The frustration is real grin
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Cutehector(m): 2:52pm On Jan 30, 2016
monacobull:
Let me start off by saying at this point i believe Nigerian graduates have a lot of work to do. Its taking a lot of effort for me to contain the level of disappointment im currently feeling towards our university leavers. I work in a multinational company and i have had the chance to partake in the interview process of some roles the company advertised. Most of the time im usually appalled at the errors and goofs i see on CV's. So let me get to the main story.

Six graduates came into the office this morning to interview for an internship position. Which was going to pay a basic salary and also some nice commissions. All the interviewees were very disappointing despite the very easy questions which was for a very simple role. In fact none of them showed enough quality to half consider them for the job. undecided

After the last person left, I and my colleague had already given up and hoped to do a fresh advert for the role. But 1 other person that was present at the interview was a senior staff from our foreign headquarters. And he suddenly suggested that we give the office cleaner a chance. At first i thought he was saying it out of frustration but this guy was damn serious. Long story short, we called the cleaner in and he handled our questions well and even scaled through 80% of the objection statements we threw at him! Whats more is that this guy isn't exactly educated and he even stammers! WTF !!!! Agreed he might have had better answers because he knows some more about the company having worked with us for a while, but still on still!...to outshine 6 graduates!...ah. shocked

Finally finally we have decided to take him on a trial role and give him the required training. Im still shocked beyond belief.

Naija graduates, please get your shit together. angry angry angry

oga, next time your company needs staff, please include graduates with pass as well.. OK! U will also be amazed cool
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by gmacnoms(m): 3:13pm On Jan 30, 2016
lagosrd:

I think you need to say this loud to our graduates. What most know how to do best is post trash and insultive statements online coupled with arguments that HAS no impact on their life.
I know one of them will quote me and insult me. Oonpenki cleaner to gbase yin tan. " the cleaners will take over the available jobs because they are serious minded.
undecided
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by obiageligraced(f): 5:16pm On Jan 30, 2016
OP........I'm sure ure company will be needing a new cleaner........pls text me d name of d company, make I come apply..........maybe in a year time, I will be fully employed...................
2016 .....Making it by hook or crook.........
undecidedOP.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by H2Ossss(m): 12:11pm On Jan 31, 2016
monacobull:
Let me make a few things clear.

1. This is NOT gnld or whatever you call it company.
2. I will assume those of you asking for the company name simply want to try and apply, that's fine, but i do not entertain rudeness so i wont mention the name.
3. We have enough resources for proper advertisement including via linkedin but it wasn't used in this case. Everyone interviewed was based on just referrals. It just an internship role so why spend so much on linkedin.
4. 80% of comments i see make me quite saddened as to the mentality of today's youths.

exactly what I was about asking.... the part when you mentioned referrals... at least you would have placed a vacancy notice on nairaland and see lots of good heads apply... by the term referrals am sure you mean man know man... Lol... so we wey no know anybody faa? ... its all good... plz let me know when another vacancy comes up in your coy... esp. if its in d engineering line. thanks in anticipation.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by okitz4(m): 3:21pm On Jan 31, 2016
zheroes:
You Guys are funny . Years back I wrote a bank test, out of 470 candidates only about 68 passed, I was invited for interview only to be told am above the desired age. Since then I have been working hard enough to be on my own and make good money where no one will use my age or qualification to discriminate. One thing is certain if its not your company, you will eventually be subjected to: 1. Resignation 2. Retrenchment or 3. Retirement.

A word is enough for the wise...

GNLD pple.....na una d cuz all dis Wahala
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by ferociouz(m): 5:47pm On Jan 31, 2016
PubLlcEnemy:

Maybe you need to read ur post again. I wonder how you expect someone who has no experience to answer questions about a company better than a cleaner who has been working and observing activities of that company for years.
So what happened to reading up on a company and digging up as much information as you can get on the organization before going for the interview? What even made you think the questions asked were about the company?
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by PubLlcEnemy(m): 6:41pm On Jan 31, 2016
ferociouz:
So what happened to reading up on a company and digging up as much information as you can get on the organization before going for the interview? What even made you think the questions asked were about the company?

read the post
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by mumu9gerian: 10:34pm On Feb 03, 2016
twoondei:
but the kind of evil people spew here amazes me.

for sharing his experience, op got this serious bashing.

you guys are the bomb. continue, pwc will employ you through nairaland
OP na liar jor

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Third-class Graduate Now Turning Down Job Offers From Multinationals / 5000 Nigerians To Be Employed As TSTV Launches October 1st / Top 10 "Menial Jobs" In Nigeria That Surprisingly Pay Well

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.