Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,786 members, 7,831,543 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers (2064 Views)

Opinion: Imminent Internet Outage For Infected Computers on 9th July / Help My Yahoo Account Is Generating Emails And Sending / How To Send Unlimited Emails And Not Get Banned. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers by saintboye(m): 7:04pm On Nov 08, 2005
Hello All,

We maintain many cafes, but they always complain of worms. Please is there a way to know the trojan infected mails? How can one detect a trojan infected email without opening it?

How can one stop the spammers as well?
Re: Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers by layi(m): 9:30pm On Nov 08, 2005
As for trojan. AUpdate ur antivirus softwares. Anti-virus detects worms. Also u can check the file extension b4 opning it. Most hackers use a binder software to attach the worm to the decoy-file. It would then have extension such as 'doc.exe' , 'jpeg.exe' , 'wav.exe' etc. Such file contains a trojan horse prog. just delete. But the best bet is to maintain the latest antivirus software (and disable downloads in cafe). Admin must be contacted b4 anyone should be allowed to download.

As regards the spamming, u cant do anything about that except ur mail server has got a spam guard to detect bulk-mailings. Yahoo has got spam guard.
Re: Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers by tomcat: 10:57pm On Nov 08, 2005
If you want to avoid the costs of paying licence fees for antivirus...AVG antivirus...is a good and free antivirus...and it updates itself quite regularly...

http://www.grisoft.com

I used it in my pc...and is working just fine....

it is also used in a lot of commercial servers....
Re: Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers by polo(m): 10:15pm On Nov 13, 2005
Hi, the best ways to get raid of trojan infected mails is getting a good anti virus, which should be updated regularly.you can configure your anti virus to scan all mail automatically before opening them(this setting depends on your anti virus.i know u can do that with avg anti virus and symantec)
Secondly you have to have a good anti spyware and adware. you can download one from the microsoft site. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
Get it and make it scan ur system for spywares and trojan worms at all time.
I hope you find this useful.
Cheers wink
Re: Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers by larger20(m): 3:11am On Nov 14, 2005
Some e-mail providers will not even allow u to open them......advice ur customers to use trust worthy e-mail service from yahoo and hotmail. also to make the matter best..U can configure ur system to not download anything from the web. That is a strick restriction that should be adhered to.

You can do this in the administrator setting which can only be opened by the cafe administrator. During computer update, use the admin setting to download important software then go back to square one.

So sad am not in nigeria to help u yah but i am sure some people i nigeria do this cos when my friends come online to chat with me, they still use old yahoo and hotmail chat program becasue the cafe center cannot let them download anything.......keep it on the down low
Re: Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers by c0dec(m): 5:05am On Nov 14, 2005
saintboye:

Hello All,

We maintain many cafes, but they always complain of worms. Please is there a way to know the trojan infected mails? How can one detect a trojan infected email without opening it?

How can one stop the spammers as well?

use linux! cool
Re: Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers by goodguy(m): 9:29am On Nov 15, 2005
Linux?? It's not so common in Nigeria.

Anywayz, I think you should follow Layi's advice. I think AVG is also a very good antivirus. Get the CD or download it from their site. www.grisoft.com
Re: Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers by showlankie(m): 4:38pm On Nov 18, 2005
i will advice as pol had earlier done, the microsoft anti spyware is good enuf against spywares and all, with a norton antivirus for systems with a strong config PIV 2.0Ghz and above. AVG is recomended for systems with lesser resources
Re: Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers by Seun(m): 6:13pm On Nov 18, 2005
I recommend AVG antivirus for all systems, as long as they run Windows. It's [b]free [/b]for individual use and it's good.
Re: Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers by Komputa(m): 4:00pm On Nov 26, 2005
I used AVG but it is not effective in deleting Trojans.....it detects but to delete is a problem.
Re: Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers by larger20(m): 6:37pm On Nov 26, 2005
The best way to deal with virus is first use programs like adware personal from lavasoft then also use norton antivirus..after doing this..restart ur computer in safe mode. Then open the file where the computer is located and delete it.....

For very difficult viruses, I recommend hijackthis but this program should be used by people who really understand their system very well becasue it not only takes out the virus but can fish out suspicious looking files which could be a system file..so u might as well delete something that ur computer uses to run in the process of gettining it to work...

The best of its best is to use the reformatting Cd that came with your computer to wipe out everything so that ur computer will be like new however u will loose ur file......if u have two drives..u can just move important files into one of the drives then reformat only one...

Reformatting of CD for people with only one drive will require that the user should an external drive before he does reformatting or else the user will loose all his or her files..
Re: Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers by layi(m): 11:44am On Nov 27, 2005
...note that files should be scanned before moving to an external storage device else you would only waste your time reformatting.
Re: Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers by goodguy(m): 7:16pm On Nov 27, 2005
But how can u scan them when the system is already infected?
Re: Dealing With Trojan Infected Emails and Spammers by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:38pm On Feb 12, 2010
@ poster, u know not to sound "non compliant" with the general view, i really think cafe owners should explore the linux option. u know, get some one to set them up for u it usually has no maintenance issues!

I SAY THIS BECAUSE WELL CAFE PCS ARE FOR SURFING ONLY RIGHT? ehn so if u can get someone to set it up for u, look, u have absolutely no worries, the yahoo boys will free you cos most of their funny progs are for windows, any file downloaded is just that a file, its when the person takes it to his own system that he will hear the musikoko! a linux install wont fragment or damage ur hard drive, and they perform better the longer they are on sef!

the obvious downside is that cafe timing wares are light on the linux side. if u can pay for it there are solutions. i personally know of two free ones, there was a guy who started a thread on that a few months back but i dunno wat became of him! he never came back! so i dont know if he actually used it.

the bottomline is it would reduce ur hassles on the user side wise! but then thats half the issue anyway, what with server, service provider etc issues.

ur main issue will be getting someone to set it up for u, if u do that, then ur good!

thats a great biz idea anyway! setting up linux cafes, maybe i shld think of taking it up!! hmmmnnnnnnn grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

4 Steps To Set Up Your Home Wireless Network (router) / Kaspersky 2013 ,windows 8,norton 2013,ESET ,office 2010 Official Activation Code / Buy A Used Laptop HP G62, Very Very Neat!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.