Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country (37643 Views)

EFCC Refers To ICPC As "Introvert" When It Comes To Fighting Corruption - Reacti / Magu Refers To Duro Faseyi As ‘Fayose’ / BBC Refers To Kenyan Minister As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by Khez: 4:20pm On Jan 30, 2016
Shared wickedness

Poor research and

Stupid journalism!!!
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by ZUBY77(m): 5:48pm On Jan 30, 2016
Henovy:

Ah ah. Just to justify the mistake of CNN abi. I grow up in the early sixties to know Nigeria to be a West African country. Africa has always been divided geographically into North, South, East, West and Central Africa.

Of course Nigeria is in West Africa. No doubt. It was a mistake from the reporter.
I was just widening the catch.
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by ZUBY77(m): 5:56pm On Jan 30, 2016
Kennydoc:

There is nothing irrelevant there.
Can you say Benue state is in Southern Nigeria because it's south of River Benue, or can you say Cross River state is in the South East, and your head won't go for it?
Why not also say that Ethiopia and Central African Republic are in North Africa, since they are north of the Equator?
You don't attempt to distort the geopolitical structure of a region and say it's no big deal.
Google is free to access, so CNN should always verify their news before giving them out. They have a reputation to protect.

First of all, Nigeria is in West Africa. No doubt. It could simply be a mistake by the CNN reporter.
However, as a human being, I could chose to divide Africa into two depending on whatever context I was using.
Nigeria would either be in the southern part or northern part of Africa.
Guess where it is...

And using your Benue and Cross River examples means nothing, we are not in a geography class here.
If we are to go by just NORTH, SOUTH, EAST AND WEST, where would you place a country like Central Africa Republic?
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by Mologi(m): 6:23pm On Jan 30, 2016
canDy4eva:
must u display ur level of stupi.dity on NL
what i do miss stu.pidity?its seems ur own level of madness is just updated..,,if u cant find humour in what i said,cnt u just take ur fualty brain to the normal place...

Bia kpachala ayan gi ooo
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by Kennydoc(m): 6:25pm On Jan 30, 2016
ZUBY77:

First of all, Nigeria is in West Africa. No doubt. It could simply be a mistake by the CNN reporter.
However, as a human being, I could chose to divide Africa into two depending on whatever context I was using.
Nigeria would either be in the southern part or northern part of Africa.
Guess where it is...

And using your Benue and Cross River examples means nothing, we are not in a geography class here.
If we are to go by just NORTH, SOUTH, EAST AND WEST, where would you place a country like Central Africa Republic?

The term North Africa is a defined region, and isn't subject to individual interpretations. If you want to refer to countries in the northern half of Africa, then it must be aptly specified. A term like "north of the equator" will do.

I mentioned Benue and Cross River to let you realise that your point about drawing an imaginary line in any geopolitical region makes no sense. It is absolutely meaningless. Cross River is typically in the south eastern end of Nigeria, but it can't be described as a south eastern state geopolitically.

Central African Republic is in the Central African Region, alongside countries like Equatorial Guinea, Congo, Congo DR, Chad etc.
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by ZUBY77(m): 6:46pm On Jan 30, 2016
Kennydoc:

The term North Africa is a defined region, and isn't subject to individual interpretations. If you want to refer to countries in the northern half of Africa, then it must be aptly specified. A term like "north of the equator" will do.

I mentioned Benue and Cross River to let you realise that your point about drawing an imaginary line in any geopolitical region makes no sense. It is absolutely meaningless. Cross River is typically in the south eastern end of Nigeria, but it can't be described as a south eastern state geopolitically.

Central African Republic is in the Central African Region, alongside countries like Equatorial Guinea, Congo, Congo DR, Chad etc.

I see your point. However, let's stretch this a little more.
Before Nigeria adopted the divide and rules tactics after the war which gave birth to 12 State and eventually ended with SS, SE, SW, NE, NC and NW, we only had Western Region, Eastern Region, Northern Region and middle belt.. do you agree with me? it was that simple.

From Sokoto at the extreme North West to Borno at the extreme North East were all defined as northern region. Right?

So why couldn't Lagos and Cross River be in the same region? I believe driving from Sokoto to Borno in the north axis was and still is longer in distance when compared to Lagos to Cross River in the South axis. Right?

Can you now understand that the Tribal context was at work here. So my point is that human beings divide this things, sometimes based on context.

When I was studying about North, South, East and West, I never knew Central was part of the four.
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by Mixty: 7:40pm On Jan 30, 2016
You are spitting rubbish for the sake of it.
Kennydoc is right. Case closed.
ZUBY77:

I see your point. However, let's stretch this a little more.
Before Nigeria adopted the divide and rules tactics after the war which gave birth to 12 State and eventually ended with SS, SE, SW, NE, NC and NW, we only had Western Region, Eastern Region, Northern Region and middle belt.. do you agree with me? it was that simple.

From Sokoto at the extreme North West to Borno at the extreme North East were all defined as northern region. Right?

So why couldn't Lagos and Cross River be in the same region? I believe driving from Sokoto to Borno in the north axis was and still is longer in distance when compared to Lagos to Cross River in the South axis. Right?

Can you now understand that the Tribal context was at work here. So my point is that human beings divide this things, sometimes based on context.

When I was studying about North, South, East and West, I never knew Central was part of the four.

Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by ZUBY77(m): 7:47pm On Jan 30, 2016
Mixty:
You are spitting rubbish for the sake of it.
Kennydoc is right. Case closed.

And I am supposed to agree to your judgement because you are? God or his son.. Which one?

You can just come up with superior argument because I am sure I know geography better than you.
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by Mixty: 7:50pm On Jan 30, 2016
ZUBY77:

And I am supposed to agree to your judgement because you are? God or his son.. Which one?

You can just come up with superior argument because I am sure I know geography better than you.
Because your argument is flawed and nonsensical.
QED cool
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by ZUBY77(m): 7:51pm On Jan 30, 2016
Mixty:

Because your argument is flawed and nonsensical.
QED cool

LOL.

Well I hope I have the right to disagree with you also.
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by Mixty: 7:53pm On Jan 30, 2016
Kennydoc:

The term North Africa is a defined region, and isn't subject to individual interpretations. If you want to refer to countries in the northern half of Africa, then it must be aptly specified.
Zuby77....this is clear enough. Did you go to school at all? Did you do a little Geography. If you did, then your geography teacher needs to give you a refund of part of your fees for being such a failure in passing across knowledge.
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jan 30, 2016
Why won't they when bubu the president does not even know where his country is
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by ZUBY77(m): 7:57pm On Jan 30, 2016
Mixty:

Zuby77....this is clear enough. Did you go to school at all? Did you do a little Geography. If you did, then your geography teacher needs to give you a refund of part of your fees for being such a failure in passing across knowledge.

Alright... So if it was specified, would that have put Nigeria in North Africa?

I asked this question because I know Nigeria is still in West Africa.

Secondly, I want you to broaden your mind to interpret things whenever you can because the reason why we are still at the back of everything is that we only believe what we were told..

Like Jesus walking on water, I am sure you believe that too.

BTW who said it's not subject to individual Interpretations?
God or you?
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by Mixty: 8:08pm On Jan 30, 2016
ZUBY77:

Alright... So if it was specified, would that have put Nigeria in North Africa?

I asked this question because I know Nigeria is still in West Africa.

Secondly, I want you to broaden your mind to interpret things whenever you can because the reason why we are still at the back of everything is that we only believe what we were told..

Like Jesus walking on water, I am sure you believe that too.
Nah....
When you read an article or comprehension, you read from perspective of defined and standard meanings acceptable by all. Regional locations are defined. They are never subject to personalized interpretations.
Anybody then can argue that Lagos is in northern Nigeria, or Kogi is in southern Nigeria based on their own subjective interpretations.
Articles are subject to individual interpretations as a whole but not on standard terminologies. By your same standards , you may argue that some Nigerians are white just because they are very fair in complexion or they are albinos. Does that make sense to you also?
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by canDy4eva(f): 8:13pm On Jan 30, 2016
Mologi:
what i do miss stu.pidity?its seems ur own level of madness is just updated..,,if u cant find humour in what i said,cnt u just take ur fualty brain to the normal place...

Bia kpachala ayan gi ooo
ok sir...
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by ZUBY77(m): 8:24pm On Jan 30, 2016
Mixty:

Nah....
When you read an article or comprehension, you read from perspective of defined and standard meanings acceptable by all. Regional locations are defined. They are never subject to personalized interpretations.
Anybody then can argue that Lagos is in northern Nigeria, or Kogi is in southern Nigeria based on their own subjective interpretations.
Articles are subject to individual interpretations as a whole but not on standard terminologies. By your same standards , you may argue that some Nigerians are white just because they are very fair in complexion or they are albinos. Does that make sense to you also?

Well, it's good that you brought this up.

North, South, East and West are the geographical measurement tools here.. Right?
So you can't just come up with Lagos as an example because no mater how you divide Nigeria Horizontally or vertically, Lagos would never be in the northern part. Agreed? And Katsina would never be in the southern part unless of course you decided to turn the map upside down, which is still a valid context depending on what you want to achieve. Open your mind bro.. Nothing is all that absolute.

When I said you should broaden your mind, I meant that since the four points happened to be the tool for location measurement, I could simply decide to use two out of the four depending on the message I want to pass.
If I use West and East, Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia will be in the east. Right...

Senegal, Ghana Mali and Guinea will be in the western part of Africa. Right or wrong..
You can't just come up with any example.

However like I said in my second post here, Nigeria is in West Africa. There is no doubt about that. We all know that from childhood.
But if for some reasons or any reason, someone decided to use two points (North and South) out of the four, that would definitely put Nigeria some where..

And judging by the rules of equality, Nigeria should be in the northern part of the divide..

BTW, why would everything be made easy for you?
The only reason why Africans fail international exams so much is simply because we focus too much on what the teacher said.
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by Mixty: 8:29pm On Jan 30, 2016
I wont waste a second to read all the poo you wrote below. I leave you to your folly trying to rationalize the mistake of CNN. Remain psychologically oppressed to the white man!

[s]
ZUBY77:

Well, it's good that you brought this up.

North, South, East and West are the geographical measurement tools here.. Right?
So you can't just come up with Lagos as an example because no mater how you divide Nigeria Horizontally or vertically, Lagos would never be in the northern part. Agreed? And Katsina would never be in the southern part unless of course you decided to turn the map upside down, which is still a valid context depending on what you want to achieve. Open your mind bro.. Nothing is all that absolute.

When I said you should broaden your mind, I meant that since the four points happened to be the tool for location measurement, I could simply decide to use two out of the four depending on the message I want to pass.
If I use West and East, Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia will be in the east. Right...

Senegal, Ghana Mali and Guinea will be in the western part of Africa. Right or wrong..
You can't just come up with any example.

However like I said in my second post here, Nigeria is in West Africa. There is no doubt about that. We all know that from childhood.
But if for some reasons or any reason, someone decided to use two points (North and South) out of the four, that would definitely put Nigeria some where..

And judging by the rules of equality, Nigeria should be in the northern part of the divide..

BTW, why would everything be made easy for you?
The only reason why Africans fail international exams so much is simply because we focus too much on what the teacher said.
[/s]
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by ZUBY77(m): 8:34pm On Jan 30, 2016
Mixty:
I wont waste a second to read all the poo you wrote below. I leave you to your folly trying to rationalize the mistake of CNN. Remain psychologically oppressed to the white man!

[s][/s]

You see what I mean. Because you are mentally lazy, you just want a conclusion so that you will return to your bed and pillow, afraid to think or ask questions.

Yep, it was a mistake from the CNN reporter.. Now go and Assasinate him or her.. You see, there is nothing you can do even if the reporter comes out to say it was a mistake. But that gave us an opportunity to discuss about this matter.

Read my third post here again, I already said it was a mistake from the CNN reporter.
I thought we were just exploiting open possibilities here.
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by Mologi(m): 8:45pm On Jan 30, 2016
canDy4eva:
ok sir...
thanks fir understanding madam!
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 30, 2016
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by canDy4eva(f): 9:23pm On Jan 30, 2016
Mologi:
thanks fir understanding madam!
uw sir...
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by AmeLonRo(m): 11:14pm On Jan 30, 2016
There is North, South, East, West and Central Africa. Based on that classification which is what we all accept, Nigeria is in West Africa. grin Clap for me and yourself grin

Now take a closer look at the map of Africa. Leave out west or east and you are left with north or south. Now, is Nigeria in the North or South? I feel the writer viewed it from the second angle. Lets think out of the box and not make trouble out of what is not wahala grin

Thank me leter grin
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by grandstar(m): 4:53am On Jan 31, 2016
ZUBY77:

This is what i wanted to say... Divide Africa into 2 and Nigeria goes to Northern Africa.
But then, our people usually grab irrelevant issues.
That is not what CNN mearnt. Those guys goofed!
Re: CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country by Zurielistic: 11:12pm On Feb 13, 2016
Mixty:

You are speaking utter rubbish. What does climate change has to do with geographical location of Nigeria?
You better go and demand for a refund of your fees in school as your education obviously was of inferior quality.

Obviously, you are a clueless punk. If you're not apprised of the connection/relationship between geography and the weather, then I feel extremely sorry for your smelly ass-hole. In that case, you are the one who will need to go get a refund of your fees back. You shit-eating, moronic, poverty-engulfed illiterate

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See Moment Obasanjo Arrived And Spoke At The PDP Rally In Ogun (VIDEO/PHOTOS) / Thanksgiving Service Organised For The Released Chibok Girls / Oby Ezekwesili Reacts To Omoyele Sowore’s Arrest By DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.