Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,156 members, 7,811,318 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:13 AM

What Are Athiest Ideology? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Are Athiest Ideology? (957 Views)

Why Do Athiest Belief There Is No GOD? / Athiest Claim: If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace? / Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Athiest Ideology? by 3kings: 7:45pm On Jun 29, 2009
Ideology
1. system of social beliefs: a closely organized system of beliefs, values, and ideas forming the basis of a social, economic, or political philosophy or program

2. meaningful belief system: a set of beliefs, values, and opinions that shapes the way a person or a group such as a social class thinks, acts, and understands the world

Microsoft® Encarta® 2008. © 1993-2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

What are atheistic ideology?

u see a lot have been stated about christian ideology, and i was pricked to ask "what is the ideology of an average athiest" pls dont start by condemning the question but nail the question accordingly.

thanks
Re: What Are Athiest Ideology? by 3kings: 11:30am On Jun 30, 2009
hi
thanks to all that viewed this thread.

now i may wish to summaries the Christian Ideology (thoughts) with a link to noetic "why i am a christian" as christian ideology becasue it gives some basic understanding on christian ideology.

click on this link https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-281109.0.html

Now after reading the post on that link, what are the ideology of athiest.

thanks.
Re: What Are Athiest Ideology? by bindex(m): 1:39pm On Jun 30, 2009
I don't speak for all atheist but as an atheist I do not believe in the existence of any of the gods because they were all created by men(mostly primitive men) that were living in tribal societies when the world was not as developed and as integrated as it is now. Religion was created by men to create order, it has helped man kind all through the dark ages and in the 21st century I believe that reason not unverifiable myths that were written mostly by men who thought that god lived in a mansion above the sky and did not want people to have a look at him should be our driving force. All religious text can be used to justify anything as far as you can pick and chose what ever you want out of it. Some of what the wrote is very good I must say and we can relate to it but so many of what they have written promotes division, sexism. Most religions have this problem since they originate from the violent stone age when the probability of a man dying in the hands of another man was very high.

I have visited Turkey, Italy, Cyprus and Greece and from their building you could get an Idea of how they lived their lives. They built mighty wall round their cities and there was little contact with people that lived out side those walls. They mostly lived in an enclosed environment. Slavery was generally accepted and promoted at that time, religious wars were the order of the day. Morality was far lower than what it is now. So do we really want to live our lives under the guidance of the words that these very tribal and violent men wrote? Men that have absolutely no knowledge of science and how the scientific process operates? Men that thought the earth was created before the sun, the centre of the universe and men who also believed that evil spirits cause diseases.

As some one said on another thread Religion relies mainly on guilt, fear,outlandish and completely unverifiable promises that have no evidence to gain obedience. People generally rely on facts and evidence in every human endeavour except when it comes to god because the god hypothesis relies and depends only on fear. There is no need believing in the unsubstantiated claims of men who thought that the world moves from place to place or who wrote so many falsehoods. We do not know these men and we do not know their mental condition/state when they wrote any of the things they wrote, some were for political gain while some were for subjugation and domination.

The world is a closed system and this life is the only one we have so we should LOVE it. This world is the only one we have and we should love it too not hate it because some ancient men that thought it was going to end in their life time say that there is another life which has no evidence at all. The closest thing that suggest that there is life after death is the Near death experience and it DISPROVES all religions.

Reason and logic is what should lead the way in the 21st century not reliance on ancient text and myths that have continued to bring so much pain and suffering to the world in one way or the other through division and assertions they no body has ever provided any evidence for. My god is better than your god yet no body is yet to prove that his/her god exist. No evidence to show that any god exist only the scriptures that are full of historic and scientific errors and internally contradiction.

Life should be treasured and valued to the max. We are own our own and it is up to us to make the world a better place. The nature of human beings is such that we are capable of moral behaviour, Moral behaviour depends upon social conditions, moral education, etc. Under these conditions, it is possible to develop a sense of empathy for other human beings. Morality is basic to the human condition. Religious texts are too outdated to be useful in deciding contemporary ethical problems humans need to use their intelligence to identify common moral principles according to which ethical dilemmas can be resolved not based on the writing of ancient men who thought that it is right to stone disobedient children to death or sacrifice other people to their god/gods.

Science is the only thing that can save man kind not god or gods, no god has ever done anything for this world but science has done and is continuing to do more than enough for mankind and it should be embraced not rejected because it antagonizes the writings of ancient men who believed that thunder is a direct wrath of their god. When small pox killed over 400 million people science was what saved man kind by providing drugs, vaccine and eventually eradicating it not jesus, allah, mohammed or vishnu. science has improved the life expectancy of man, given man a better understanding of life the earth and the universe in general, science has taken man to the moon(higher than the tower of babel), improved man's morality and brought people together who would have never had any contact with each other at all. No god has ever done anything for humanity. Science is trying to better understand the forces of nature and prevent natural disasters like hurricanes, mudslides etc.

Even the self appointed men of god who believe god tells them what to tell others and believe in magic still rely on science. Pat Robinson for example believes that Jesus speaks to him daily and tells him to lay hands on sick people for healing depended on man made medical procedure to cure him of his prostrate cancer not jesus or the bible. When pastor Chris Oyakilome's(The self acclaimed magician) wife was sick she was taken to the hospital to be cured, drugs healed her not the imaginary holy spirit.

As an atheist I believe that we are on our own and we have only one life to live hence we should make the best of it an make sure we enjoy it to the max. We should take very good care of our selves be open minded and take very good care of our environment for future generations. Reason and logic should be what drives our future not belief in imaginary gods that have done nothing for the world and humanity.
Re: What Are Athiest Ideology? by JeSoul(f): 4:22pm On Jun 30, 2009
Pilot Sir,
   erm I mean Bindex, how body?  kiss  This is the first really mad long post I've ever seen from you. And I am in the replying mood today  cheesy so . . .

bindex:

I don't speak for all atheist but as an atheist I do not believe in the existence of any of the gods because they were all created by men(mostly primitive men) that were living in tribal societies when the world was not as developed and as integrated as it is now. Religion was created by men to create order, it has helped man kind all through the dark ages and in the 21st century I believe that reason not unverifiable myths that were written mostly by men who thought that god lived in a mansion above the sky and did not want people to have a look at him should be our driving force. All religious text can be used to justify anything as far as you can pick and chose what ever you want out of it. 

I'm going to take a page out of the atheist playbook and ask you to "prove" all these beliefs that to you hold and attest to be truth. But I already know the existence or non-existence of God cannot be proven.

So isn't it the same thing? We both believe in things we cannot scientificially prove?

I have visited Turkey, Italy, Cyprus and Greece and from their building you could get an Idea of how they lived their lives.
I'm jealous but I digress . . .
They built mighty wall round their cities and there was little contact with people that lived out side those walls. They mostly lived in an enclosed environment. Slavery was generally accepted and promoted at that time, religious wars were the order of the day. Morality was far lower than what it is now. So do we really want to live our lives under the guidance of the words that these very tribal and violent men wrote? Men that have absolutely no knowledge of science and how the scientific process operates? Men that thought the earth was created before the sun, the centre of the universe and men who also believed that evil spirits cause diseases.

These same primitive men that built the pyramids that almighty science and technology has still not been able to figure out how? Just cos the earlier generations were not nearly as developed as we are does not mean we dismiss them as completely irrelevant. They did some pretty fascinating and impressive things with their "limited" knowledge.

As some one said on another thread Religion relies mainly on guilt, fear,outlandish and completely unverifiable promises that have no evidence to gain obedience.
  And this someone must be God for the rest of us to accept his opinion as the gospel truth right? It's his/her opinion. I know personally my faith is not driven or founded or rooted in guilt but moreso in love and sacrifice.

The world is a closed system and this life is the only one we have so we should LOVE it. This world is the only one we have and we should love it too not hate it because some ancient men that thought it was going to end in their life time say that there is another life which has no evidence at all. The closest thing that suggest that there is life after death is the Near death experience and it DISPROVES all religions.
  What?  I'm not even sure where to begin on this statement, so I'll give you the chance to retract it  smiley

Reason and logic is what should lead the way in the 21st century not reliance on ancient text and myths[b] that have continued to bring so much pain and suffering to the world in one way or the other through division and assertions they no body has ever provided any evidence for[/b]. My god is better than your god yet no body is yet to prove that his/her god exist. No evidence to show that any god exist only the scriptures that are full of historic and scientific errors and internally contradiction.
News flash brother, just cos some people abuse and misuse something good to their own evil end does not automatically make that good thing bad.

Life should be treasured and valued to the max. We are own our own and it is up to us to make the world a better place. The nature of human beings is such that we are capable of moral behaviour, Moral behaviour depends upon social conditions, moral education, etc. Under these conditions, it is possible to develop a sense of empathy for other human beings. Morality is basic to the human condition. Religious texts are too outdated to be useful in deciding contemporary ethical problems humans need to use their intelligence to identify common moral principles according to which ethical dilemmas can be resolved not based on the writing of ancient men who thought that it is right to stone disobedient children to death or sacrifice other people to their god/gods.
   I'm glad you used the word capable, yet we see everyday that men would rather embrace sin and wrong than do the right thing. Basic human morals are inherent in each of us, but human depravity is also just as basic to us.

Science is the only thing that can save man kind not god or gods, no god has ever done anything for this world but science has done and is continuing to do more than enough for mankind and it should be embraced not rejected because it antagonizes the writings of ancient men who believed that thunder is a direct wrath of their god. When small pox killed over 400 million people science was what saved man kind by providing drugs, vaccine and eventually eradicating it not jesus, allah, mohammed or vishnu. science has improved the life expectancy of man, given man a better understanding of life the earth and the universe in general, science has taken man to the moon(higher than the tower of babel), improved man's morality and brought people together who would have never had any contact with each other at all. No god has ever done anything for humanity. Science is trying to better understand the forces of nature and prevent natural disasters like hurricanes, mudslides etc.
  One thing that always bewilders me is how do atheists arrive at the false conclusion that science and religion are opposing forces and are at war each other? 

On NL alone there are several of us christians who are heavily in science. To me science grants us better insight and gives us a deeper understanding of what God has created and done - it does not oppose it by any stretch of the imagination. Men would have us believe that it does, but it doesn't.

Even the self appointed men of god who believe god tells them what to tell others and believe in magic still rely on science. Pat Robinson for example believes that Jesus speaks to him daily and tells him to lay hands on sick people for healing depended on man made medical procedure to cure him of his prostrate cancer not jesus or the bible. When pastor Chris Oyakilome's(The self acclaimed magician) wife was sick she was taken to the hospital to be cured, drugs healed her not the imaginary holy spirit.
  I'm glad again you used the key word of "self-appointed" . . . if I appoint myself the queen of Nigeria does this make me so?

As an atheist I believe  that we are on our own and we have only one life to live hence we should make the best of it an make sure we enjoy it to the max. We should take very good care of our selves be open minded and take very good care of our environment for future generations. Reason and logic should be what drives our future not belief in imaginary gods that have done nothing for the world and humanity.
  A belief I repeat that you cannot prove. So why speak with absolute assurance of that which you cannot substantiate?
Re: What Are Athiest Ideology? by bindex(m): 3:36am On Jul 01, 2009
JeSoul:

Pilot Sir,
   erm I mean Bindex, how body?  kiss  This is the first really mad long post I've ever seen from you. And I am in the replying mood today  cheesy so . . .

Body dey bam bam. Our trip to the Caribbean still dey oh. Once I get the CPL I will take you there.

I'm going to take a page out of the atheist playbook and ask you to "prove" all these beliefs that to you hold and attest to be truth. But I already know the existence or non-existence of God cannot be proven.

So isn't it the same thing? We both believe in things we cannot scientificially prove?

People wrote all the stories about god and said he told them to do so. No god has ever shown himself to tell to all of humanity at any point in humans history and told people who he is. All we have are people writing down their imaginations and fantasies. Jesus who people claim that he is the word of god who came to as god to live with humans did not write any part of the bible despite people claiming that he is the word of god. Its very funny that the word of god did not even write any part of the word of god(bible). Allah sent an angel to mohammed to recite the koran to him. Allah did not write any part of the koran but over a billion people believe that the koran is the word of allah. I wonder why allah allowed his words to be written on leaves and tress. Why are we relying on the words of men that wrote on sticks and stones or passed stories through oral tradition from one generation to another for the move we have to make or take in life?

I'm jealous but I digress . . . 

We will visit all these places once I get the CPL.

These same primitive men that built the pyramids that almighty science and technology has still not been able to figure out how? Just cos the earlier generations were not nearly as developed as we are does not mean we dismiss them as completely irrelevant. They did some pretty fascinating and impressive things with their "limited" knowledge.

How have the pyramid they built affected the life of humans? Did they pyramids help us to understand how disease affect humans? did the pyramids help us better understand the forces of nature that are behind the formation of lighting and thunder? I don't think we should accept the and rely on the words of people that believed that stars can interfere in human battles or people that believe that evil spirits cause diseases or that women should not speak in public if we really want to forge ahead and better understand each other.

And this someone must be God for the rest of us to accept his opinion as the gospel truth right? It's his/her opinion. I know personally my faith is not driven or founded or rooted in guilt but moreso in love and sacrifice.

Nice to know. There are so many places where the biblegod tells people to be very afraid of him. How can you love something and be afraid of it at the same time?

What?  I'm not even sure where to begin on this statement, so I'll give you the chance to retract it  smiley

Scientific established NDE have shown that people regardless of their religious beliefs all have about the same stories. The experience they share are usually that they (people experiencing the NDE) seeing bright light and meeting up with their relatives that have passed away. Not in heaven or hell but just seeing them and talking together with them. Some see bright lights and hear voices, No god satan, angels or demons. I am talking about the NDE that are being scientifically studied not the lalala tales that that fraudsters sell all around who have said they went to heaven and hell and saw either allah, jesus , bible and koran. I wonder which type of bible they say is it the one with the 66 books or the one with the 74 books and what language was the bible written in?

News flash brother, just cos some people abuse and misuse something good to their own evil end does not automatically make that good thing bad.
   I'm glad you used the word capable, yet we see everyday that men would rather embrace sin and wrong than do the right thing. Basic human morals are inherent in each of us, but human depravity is also just as basic to us.

I don't believe in sin, I just believe in doing right and wrong. Human morality has evolved and is constantly evolving. Back in the days when you invade a land you take away all they had(women, animals etc) Now we have such things as war treaties and war crimes. Slavery used to be an accepted way of life now its not. Morality is always evolving. People are more moral now than during the time of jesus when you are more likely to be killed by another man. despite all our evil rulers and neucler weapons we have better relationship with one another than during the days of Moses or mohammed.

One thing that always bewilders me is how do atheists arrive at the false conclusion that science and religion are opposing forces and are at war each other? 

Science continues to expose the false assertions of religion. God "inspired" men to write that the sun moves from place to place till science showed that it is not true.

On NL alone there are several of us christians who are heavily in science. To me science grants us better insight and gives us a deeper understanding of what God has created and done - it does not oppose it by any stretch of the imagination. Men would have us believe that it does, but it doesn't.

Are you sure?  grin

I'm glad again you used the key word of "self-appointed" . . . if I appoint myself the queen of Nigeria does this make me so?
  A belief I repeat that you cannot prove. So why speak with absolute assurance of that which you cannot substantiate?

There are are a lot of evidence to support my beliefs that humans are own their own. Example where was the all loving god that loves humans when small pox killed over 400 million people? Where was he when flu killed close to 100 million people in 1918?  Where was god when the 1980 famine in Karamoja, Uganda killed 21% of the population, including 60% of the infants? Someone once said that if god can stop evil but is not willing, he's malevolent and if he's willing but not able, he's not omnipotent. If he is able and unwilling then why call him god? This universe and the world we live in surely does not look like a universe and a world that has a watch man that loves humans looking after it like the most religious hypothesis claim. There is too much chaos in the world and the universe. A universe without a loving and caring watch maker like the one we see around is what we should expect if non exist. All we hear are people telling us that there is a god who told them to tell us that he loves humans but people are are yet to see any sign that he loves any body. He is not even able to protect those that believe in him more than those that do not believe in him. There is no evidence to show that christians are better protected from harm than atheist. We all suffer the same harm(diseases, natural disasters, ill luck, personal tragedy etc).
Re: What Are Athiest Ideology? by Lita(f): 4:58pm On Jul 03, 2009
i am not an atheist, but an agnostic that leans towards atheism. by this i believe that one cannot prove or disprove the existence of God, but that I veer towards believing that their is no god, or at least not in the form that major religions believe god to exist. i do take issue with the ideas that religion and science are opposing forces, or that it takes a 'primitive' mind to create god.

many, many great thinkers now and in past have been believers in god, and have used god as inspiration for their greatest works. also, primitivism is a bit of a myth. as somebody mentioned, the ancient world contains works that are a mystery to modern minds, and some assert that the key to phenomena such as electricity is found in ancient works. rather contradictorily, we are always developing new knowledges, and to suggest that we know best, and they knew less is a bit counter-intuitive if you consider the things that the future will bring, and the ideas that the future will quash.
Re: What Are Athiest Ideology? by 3kings: 9:58pm On Jul 05, 2009
hi bindex

thanks for taking the time to reply. however, reading thru the link i gave u, u notice noetic gave a line by line on the christian ideology.

what u gave up there is a grammar and long "turanci", kindly state it line by line for eample

1. We dont agree with each other
2. i dont (u of cos cos i -3kings- believe there is God) in God,
3. etc

becos all u gave was a long story, kindly give a concise ideology of the athiest.

thank to the other posters. so bindex over to u,
Re: What Are Athiest Ideology? by mamag3: 6:57pm On Aug 04, 2009
The ideas of an atheist.

(1) (Reply)

Five Reasons Why Jesus Is Not Merely A Prophet / T.B. Joshua: The Man Who Saw Tomorrow? / Dec. 21, 2012 APOCALYPSE?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.