Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,073 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

71-year Old Man Sentenced To 150 Years In Prison! Is This A Joke? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 71-year Old Man Sentenced To 150 Years In Prison! Is This A Joke? (808 Views)

How To Bring Dollar Down To 150 Asap! My Prognosis. / World's "Ugliest Woman" Buried In Mexico 150 Years After Her Death / Kidnapped Micheal Osagiede Freed After 6 Years In The Jungle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

71-year Old Man Sentenced To 150 Years In Prison! Is This A Joke? by petres007(m): 7:55pm On Jun 29, 2009
Here's the link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090629/ap_on_bi_ge/us_madoff_scandal

Of course, I'm not against the man getting punishment he deserves for duping people but please, 150 years A 71 year old man 
Re: 71-year Old Man Sentenced To 150 Years In Prison! Is This A Joke? by 9ijaprince(m): 10:15pm On Jun 29, 2009
Law has no sentiment.he should pay for his crime.
Re: 71-year Old Man Sentenced To 150 Years In Prison! Is This A Joke? by petres007(m): 10:23am On Jun 30, 2009
@9ijaprince,

Of course he should pay for his crime. Thats not my point. I'm just appaled at the unbelivable lenght of his jail term - 150 years! shocked

Even a day old infant sentenced to jail for that long willnever make it out alive - thats for sure! Why didn;t they just call it a "life-sentence"?  undecided
Re: 71-year Old Man Sentenced To 150 Years In Prison! Is This A Joke? by dnex(m): 11:08am On Jun 30, 2009
There must have been multiple counts of the same crime. So if each count carries a sentence that should run consecutively with the others, then the judge has no personal choice than to add up the terms and the result must have been 150 years. I don't know if there's any country that has a life sentence for fraudulent practices so when the offence is so grievous, the only way to make the criminal pay adequately is by adding up the sentences.
Re: 71-year Old Man Sentenced To 150 Years In Prison! Is This A Joke? by Nobody: 11:59am On Jun 30, 2009
;d
Re: 71-year Old Man Sentenced To 150 Years In Prison! Is This A Joke? by petres007(m): 12:20pm On Jun 30, 2009
dnex:

There must have been multiple counts of the same crime. So if each count carries a sentence that should run consecutively with the others, then the judge has no personal choice than to add up the terms and the result must have been 150 years. I don't know if there's any country that has a life sentence for fraudulent practices so when the offence is so grievous, the only way to make the criminal pay adequately is by adding up the sentences.

@dnex,

thanks a bunch!

I guess that explains why/how it got up to 150 years. I fear o! grin grin grin
Re: 71-year Old Man Sentenced To 150 Years In Prison! Is This A Joke? by tboyjnr(m): 2:17pm On Jun 30, 2009
Madoff's sentence was not the longest for a white-collar criminal. New York businessman Sholam Weiss, 55, was sentenced in February 2000 to 845 years in prison for his role in a plot that skimmed $400 million from an insurance company, costing many of its 25,000 customers their life savings. The government lists his release date as Nov. 23, 2754.

lol

The actual loss so far has been put at $13.2 billion. But the judge said that was a conservative estimate and noted that even Madoff told his sons in December it was a $50 billion fraud.

What type of greed is this,
I always find it funny when some American idiot is complaining about how fraudulent Nigeria is, I know this country is bad, but i think only Nigerians should complain about Nigeria
Re: 71-year Old Man Sentenced To 150 Years In Prison! Is This A Joke? by petres007(m): 7:56pm On Jun 30, 2009
tboyjnr:

What type of greed is this,
I always find it funny when some American idiot is complaining about how fraudulent Nigeria is, I know this country is bad, but i think only Nigerians should complain about Nigeria

True talk undecided

(1) (Reply)

tboy1 ure needed-->Cert I9++ Phone / Unusual Movement: Are We Expecting A War / We Will Seize Mobile Phones In The Streets, Dora Akunyili

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.