Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,059 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? (11002 Views)

Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft / 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by LeonesVee: 10:48pm On Jan 31, 2016
Can anyone help? A friend just asked me and I, uncharacteristically, couldn't say anything of note.

CC: Lalasticlala, Ishilove.
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jan 31, 2016
Disdainful expression Or belittling expression

2 Likes

Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by adewaletb3(m): 11:51pm On Jan 31, 2016
mctifey:
Disdainful expression Or belittling expression
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by spinna: 12:06am On Feb 01, 2016
sneer.. derisive look/ expression.. mocking look/expression

1 Like

Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by matrix199(m): 4:08am On Feb 01, 2016
LeonesVee:
Can anyone help? A friend just asked me and I, uncharacteristically, couldn't say anything of note.

"Snout" is an appropriate word.

1 Like

Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by SporaD8: 7:50am On Feb 01, 2016
jeer
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by SporaD8: 7:55am On Feb 01, 2016
matrix199:

"Snout" is an appropriate word.
"Snout" is too literal. "Jeer" actually qualifies the intention.
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by ggrin(f): 8:34am On Feb 01, 2016
Yinmu - yim or yims sad

2 Likes

Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by ademasta(m): 9:14am On Feb 01, 2016
Yinmu=Twistnose

6 Likes

Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by Oluwadare: 9:51am On Feb 01, 2016
You all tried. However, the qualified verb for it is GRIMACE.
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by matrix199(m): 10:20am On Feb 01, 2016
SporaD8:
"Snout" is too literal. "Jeer" actually qualifies the intention.

Do u know what literal means?

Have you seen a pig before? The nose of a pig is called a snout. Go observe a pig and see how it 'yinmus' with its snout.

So snout(verb) is the most appropriate term for 'yinmu'.

1 Like

Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by matrix199(m): 10:29am On Feb 01, 2016
Oluwadare:

Grimace applies to the general facial expression. Grimace lasts longer than 3secs. Yinmu literally means 'move the nose scornfully'. Yinmu is a quick tingle of the nose. So snout(verb) is a more qualified term because it involves the movement of the nose only.
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by rattlesnake(m): 12:18pm On Feb 01, 2016
Yinmu nose rotary
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by ShakurM(m): 12:42pm On Feb 01, 2016
Winks nose grin
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by engrhorla(m): 1:07pm On Feb 01, 2016
Yinmu = nose wrinkle grin cheesy
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by DrDxtrz: 1:13pm On Feb 01, 2016
Oluwadare:
Grimace isn't a verb, rather a noun, I stand corrected.
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 01, 2016
LeonesVee:

You mean ?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by daxon001(m): 2:10pm On Feb 01, 2016
To YIMICK som1 lol
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by daxon001(m): 2:10pm On Feb 01, 2016
To YIMICK som1 or To YIMUCK som1 lol
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by DharmyYinks: 2:11pm On Feb 01, 2016
Yinmu = Stanky nose grin
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by Oluwadare: 2:17pm On Feb 01, 2016
matrix199:

Grimace applies to the general facial expression. Grimace lasts longer than 3secs. Yinmu literally means 'move the nose scornfully'. Yinmu is a quick tingle of the nose. So snout(verb) is a more qualified term because it involves the movement of the nose only.
I seriously disagreed with you. Reason being, snout comes about like a noun, you might have a point in grimace longer in performing but considering the fact that yimu is one of those Yoruba words that has no certain word in English Language, grimace remains the most qualified word for it.
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by matrix199(m): 3:02pm On Feb 01, 2016
Oluwadare:
I seriously disagreed with you. Reason being, snout comes about like a noun, you might have a point in grimace longer in performing but considering the fact that yimu is one of those Yoruba words that has no certain word in English Language, grimace remains the most qualified word for it.

If this argument was 2.95 odd, I'll place all my properties on 'Snout'. Snout means nose(noun). But it can also be used as a verb to mean 'move the nose, which in yoruba yinmu means 'raise the nose to scorn someone. Grimace is a facial expression that indicates a mental or emotional state. It doesn't indicate a scorn.

1 Like

Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by gemale(m): 4:38pm On Feb 01, 2016
What abt "sneer"?
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by SporaD8: 4:43pm On Feb 01, 2016
matrix199:

Do u know what literal means?

Have you seen a pig before? The nose of a pig is called a snout. Go observe a pig and see how it 'yinmus' with its snout.

So snout(verb) is the most appropriate term for 'yinmu'.
I know exactly what I mean when I say literally.
Why do people yinmu?
To look like a Pig, or to make mockery of you?
Someone just corrected my "Jeer" to "sneer"!
"Sneer" is the exact word that combine the intention with the expression! Thank you
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by matrix199(m): 5:25pm On Feb 01, 2016
SporaD8:
I know exactly what I mean when I say literally.
Why do people yinmu?
To look like a Pig, or to make mockery of you?
Someone just corrected my "Jeer" to "sneer"!
"Sneer" is the exact word that combine the intention with the expression! Thank you

Sneer it is. I agree with sneer. But grimace, nah!

So it's settled then. We've all learnt one or two words. No one is too big to learn.
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by prahcetomi(m): 6:16pm On Feb 01, 2016
Shakes nose with osmotic pressure.

1 Like

Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by LeonesVee: 9:15pm On Feb 01, 2016
What can I say? Thanks to y'all that commented. I learnt a deal and laughed at the funny comments too. Thanks.
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Feb 01, 2016
Flaring of the Alae Nasi
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by seunny4lif(m): 11:31am On Feb 02, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by mozele(m): 12:17pm On Feb 02, 2016
matrix199:

Lolz wetin man no go see. Good explanation although it doesn't mean the movement of the nose alone.

It will be nice if you guys show the OP a practical example, or make hin better go learn Yoruba 121
Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by spinna: 9:13pm On Feb 04, 2016
So i won cos i said sneer 1st . Whats the prize op? grimace is an expression of pain or discomfort, snout is an animal's elongated mouth and nose. Feels good 2 b a winner lolz

1 Like

Re: What Is The English Language Equivalent Of "Yinmu"? by scholes0(m): 2:17pm On Feb 07, 2016
People should realize that not every Yoruba or Nigerian expression has an English equivalent, cos we have completely different cultures.
When has anyone here ever seen a white person yinmu?

Yinmu is not expressed in western culture.... It isn't even the same as sneering.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

YABATECH Departmental Cut-Off Marks 2017/2018 / Top 20 Universities In Africa -only One University From Nigeria?? / Traits In You That Inevitably Leads To Failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.