Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,927 members, 7,814,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic (2081 Views)

Lagos Hustle!!! Look At How These Guys Washed A Moving Car In Lagos Traffic. / Rav4 2004 Oil Pressure Indicator Flickers When Engine Is Hot, Pls Help!!! / Car Is Difficult To Start When Engine Is HOT, Very Ok When Engine Is...SOLVED (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by funlover1(m): 5:21am On Feb 02, 2016
I drive a toyota highlander 2003 and I have been having some issues with it recently.

-When i start the car in the morning (or even in the evening at close of work) and the engine is still cold, the car hesitates and i practically have to apply some effort to the accelerator before the car moves especially if its on a rough or uneven surface; the car doesnt move well until I have driven for some time then it picks speed

- I notice that when this hesitation happens, when the car responds; it suddenly surges forward

- When at top speed the car moves excellently well

- When in traffic and it requires that apply the brake and accelerator intermittently, the car "groans' as the car moves forward. This however does not happen when i am moving at top speed and i do not need to stop or apply the brake

-I have done a scan of the car and the error codes are :P0155,P0135,P0302,P0304,P0306,P0010,P0020,C0205,C0210,C0215,C1241,C0278.
-I was advised to change the plugs, tune up the nozzles and change three defective ignition coils; all these had been done but the situation has not improved

Could someone please advise on possible cause of this and solution?

Thanks a million in advance
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by iamSi(m): 5:36am On Feb 02, 2016
Could you run a scan on the gear? Just saying
funlover1:
I drive a toyota highlander 2003 and I have been having some issues with it recently.

-When i start the car in the morning (or even in the evening at close of work) and the engine is still cold, the car hesitates and i practically have to apply some effort to the accelerator before the car moves especially if its on a rough or uneven surface; the car doesnt move well until I have driven for some time then it picks speed

- I notice that when this hesitation happens, when the car responds; it suddenly surges forward

- When in traffic and it requires that apply the brake and accelerator intermittently, the car "groans' as the car moves forward. This however does not happen when i am moving at top speed and i do not need to stop or apply the brake

-I have done a scan of the car and the error codes are :P0155,P0135,P0302,P0304,P0306,P0010,P0020,C0205,C0210,C0215,C1241,C0278.
-I was advised to change the plugs, tune up the nozzles and change three defective ignition coils; all these had been done but the situation has not improved

Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by funlover1(m): 5:47am On Feb 02, 2016
thanks.

Is there a separate scan for gears? I thought the scan will bring out all the issues on the the gear, engine and other parts?

Where can i run such in lagos?
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by iyimide(m): 6:19am On Feb 02, 2016
Go straight and change d fuel pump with its filter..if there is no improvement, come and slap me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by funlover1(m): 6:34am On Feb 02, 2016
iyimide:
Go straight and change d fuel pump with its filter..if there is no improvement, come and slap me.
Lol..

2 Likes

Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by honmusa(m): 6:34am On Feb 02, 2016
There is a need for a comprehensive diagnosis and analysis performed on your car powertrain which goes beyond use of ordinary scan tool and throwing parts at problems .
If you are in Lagos ,contact autologic @ 08061166316 .
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by funlover1(m): 6:52am On Feb 02, 2016
OK...just called, call wasn't picked...will do so again
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by mayor2013: 6:56am On Feb 02, 2016
funlover1:

These codes are many. Clear them all and see which comes back after a complete drive cycle
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by funlover1(m): 7:15am On Feb 02, 2016
OK boss
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by mayor2013: 7:20am On Feb 02, 2016
funlover1:
OK boss

If you are in lagos call multiautolab on 08165520837 0r 08156087872, they would get a solution to the problem
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:29am On Feb 02, 2016
iyimide:

you might have to present your face for the slap very soon

4 Likes

Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by mayor2013: 7:34am On Feb 02, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

you might have to present your face for the slap very soon

grin

1 Like

Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by funlover1(m): 9:42am On Feb 02, 2016
mayor2013:

grin

OMG !

But it's not a funny matter o
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by funlover1(m): 2:34pm On Feb 02, 2016
cry
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by funlover1(m): 7:44pm On Feb 02, 2016
angry
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by iyimide(m): 12:49pm On Feb 03, 2016
I drive a 03 highlander too.. Same troubles and same codes.. Do as I said.. And if it does not work.. Again come and slap me..
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by honmusa(m): 10:06pm On Feb 03, 2016
iyimide:
I drive a 03 highlander too.. Same troubles and same codes.. Do as I said.. And if it does not work.. Again come and slap me..
yes and no it might be fuel pressure related but not fuel pump !!
If there is restriction along the fuel line ,is it fuel pump that you are going to change?
That you have experienced similar symptom doesn't automatically translate to same cause .
Always take the effort to diagnose the root of issue before u come up with the fix cos it is more cheaper and lasting .
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by oxygenera8(m): 3:06pm On Feb 04, 2016
iyimide:

Did this work @OP..?
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by funlover1(m): 2:51pm On Feb 08, 2016
I have not tried it yet
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by ebrahym(m): 7:34pm On Apr 23, 2016
Op...were you able to fix your car? What did you do?
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by funlover1(m): 2:51pm On Apr 25, 2016
Yes..kind of...my mechanic did some "servicing" on the fuel pump and there was considerable improvement some months ago. He also told me i will need to change the fuel pump as time goes on.

I guess i will be doing that soon as the symptom seems to be coming on again

1 Like

Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by Nobody: 3:31pm On Apr 25, 2016
@iyimide was right then. I hereby disperse the queue of e-slappers on this thread. grin

1 Like

Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by ebrahym(m): 7:46pm On Apr 25, 2016
funlover1:
Yes..kind of...my mechanic did some "servicing" on the fuel pump and there was considerable improvement some months ago. He also told me i will need to change the fuel pump as time goes on.

I guess i will be doing that soon as the symptom seems to be coming on again

Thanks for the response, I have the same issue and my mechanic just serviced the fuel filter today, we drove the car and there was improvement but it still hesitates once in a while, the best solution from him is to change the pump cos it's weak. He said the pump alone is 7k but if we want to change the whole components...it's 32k...another mechanic said the whole component is 15k...I am so confused..how much did your mechanic called it? Can u flash me on 08028162220...thanks
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by lincolnola: 11:39pm On Apr 25, 2016
@ funlover,

Don't be too hasty to spend unneccessary money or fall victim of scammers.
I had these same problem on my 2003 highlander.after much trial by error methods,nothing seemed working until I checked the 02 sensors.found out that the below oxygen sensor (the attached to exhaust pipe under the car) was bad after testing with multimeter.
After changing it,all the stalling,hesitations stopped and no more CEL.
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by speed001: 8:36am On Apr 26, 2016
lincolnola:
@ funlover,

Don't be too hasty to spend unneccessary money or fall victim of scammers.
I had these same problem on my 2003 highlander.after much trial by error methods,nothing seemed working until I checked the 02 sensors.found out that the below oxygen sensor (the attached to exhaust pipe under the car) was bad after testing with multimeter.
After changing it,all the stalling,hesitations stopped and no more CEL.

Pls how do u use multimeter to test oxygen sensors? Have taken my car virtually to all mechanics in Benin but dey seem to be lost as to what air fuel sensor is. Even the almighty mechanic workshops some are useless still.
Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by OgaTheTop2: 9:20am On Apr 26, 2016
0rex:
@iyimide was right then. I hereby disperse the queue of e-slappers on this thread. grin
Many funny people on nairaland. . Lol

1 Like

Re: Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic by lincolnola: 11:27am On Apr 26, 2016
speed001:

Pls how do u use multimeter to test oxygen sensors? Have taken my car virtually to all mechanics in Benin but dey seem to be lost as to what air fuel sensor is. Even the almighty mechanic workshops some are useless still.

You test for the resistance.If your O2 sensor have four wires,usually blue,white,and 2 black wire.Set the multimeter in ohms and test against the 2 black wires.If no reading or bad response,then change the sensor.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Is A Complete Set Of Tokumbo Shock Absorber For Toyota Camry 2004 Model / Highlander 2006 Model, Gear Not Changing After Changing Shaft / Neat Toyota Sienna 02

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.