Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,713 members, 7,831,231 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies (7826 Views)

Buhari Apologies To Nigerians Over Fuel Scarcity, Pump Price To Remain At N87 / APC To Sue Fani-kayode Over Tinubu/Osinbajo Oath-Taking Claim / Sammie Okposo Apologies To Buhari For Saying He Should Be Flogged For Forgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by itumama: 10:32am On Jul 01, 2009
Absolute rubbish.
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by jorem(m): 11:30am On Jul 01, 2009
This is nothing but undiluted rubbish, I wonder how they managed to get the Picture. we need deliverance in this country from Bad leaders. Those are the People we call leaders, representatives. Bull shit!
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by Bolarge(m): 12:47pm On Jul 01, 2009
[size=15pt]Five billion blistering barnacles!!!!! [/size] shocked shocked shocked
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by sirt1(m): 1:52pm On Jul 01, 2009
@ All,

Honestly, this is very disgusting!!! I'm ashamed of myself, being an Ogun indegene.

To Wale Alausa:

You are a disgrace to Yoruba race and Ijebu pple in particular. You refered to urself as a principled man. Please call another press conference and reverse that statement. You are the most foolish Ijebu man av ever seen in my life., principle man my foot!!!!!!

If what u claimed was correct ( I mean pressure from ur Father and Oba sikiru Adetona), on them, I reserve my comment.They should be disgraced publicly and be removed from any tittle they are holding on behalf of the good people of Ijebu Land.

Still on you (Wale Alausa), Let me ask you some questions,

1) How old are you? I guess u should be at least 40yrs Old
2) Guessed you are married, How did u control your home?
3) Did your father and Kabiyesi dictate hw to run your home for you?
4) If your father and the Oba persuaded you to take poison on that day for peace to reign in Ogun State,will you agree?

Honourable Wale, you are a bloody lier, who should not be called honourable, bt a blatant lier. I'm very sure you took the oath because of your selfish interest and those of the so called Elders. Once again. all of you are disgrace to the Ijebus.

I will not say much on Gbenga Daniel. Why, some people may asked? He is a disguised criminal who thought he can do anything he likes in our dear state. One advise I have for him is that he should take look at those that had wronged masses in the past and learn lesson from them. If masses can not do anything to him, I know, for sure, that posteriy will not forgive him

On final note, Wale Alausa should resign his post, likewise his father and the third criminal.
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by touchmeder: 1:57pm On Jul 01, 2009
When i hear and see things like this and some peeps at home keep telling me dont come back home, dont bother i get so worried. Why is my country like this? cry He will now apologize and still remain in power and not resign with dignity. chei
This is so shameful the pictures were the icing on the cake. Nigeria
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by LeMoor(m): 2:54pm On Jul 01, 2009
As someone here already mentioned, when a lawmaker quickly admits and apologises for such, then there is a lot more at stake that they are hoping the apology will help sweep away.

The authorities should step in and confirm if 'cow blood' is indeed 'cow blood'. I am sort of skeptical that they would be taking oaths and using their 1st Born's as pledges using 'cow blood'.

I am more inclined to believe something more sinister is at play here and he is quickly apologising so as not to get exposed.
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by oloyeagba1: 3:06pm On Jul 01, 2009
The Honorable is naked

Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by LeMoor(m): 3:33pm On Jul 01, 2009
Why is he still being referred to as honorable?
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by Nezan(m): 4:14pm On Jul 01, 2009
Nezan:

Goes to prove wat a friend told me, dat every power on earth comes from de devil, be it president, governor e.t.c.
Or else, why will the devil promise to make Jesus king on earth if He bowed down to him? scary, aint it? angry
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by deb(m): 4:51pm On Jul 01, 2009
A thought just came to my mind while reading this.

It appears that blood oath taking is more powerful and put this politician in check. Why don't we just introduce BLOOD OATH TAKING and SANGO(IRON) SWEARING into our constitution.

The blood oath should start by saying that I, so so so and so swear a bload oath or swear by sango that IF I WERE TO STEAL OR EMBEZEL PUBLIC MONIES to die of coughing blood to death immediately or if swearing is by iron to die by thunder striking to death.

Beleive me, we will have politicians that will sit tight and stop stealing this country resources.

And knowing Nigerian politicians, they will immediately invent fake blood oath or fake iron from china or remedy after taking the oath. It is always difficult to stop a determined thief from being a thief.

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin so so funny!
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by deb(m): 5:07pm On Jul 01, 2009
Na true say Animals dey wear agbada 4 naija o. Fela una welldone
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by rafcrown(m): 8:07pm On Jul 01, 2009
When are we going to see the pictures of the Governor himself performing his own rites.
A Nigerian professional who has lived in the UK for donkey years ,mnade good ,cool money
Decided to return home to contest
He spent and spent and spent hard-earned money in Nigeria and he gained supporters
Then came the final Stage
The oath taking stage.The ritual stageShow your Logo stage
He failed woefully being a professional,God fearing,True Christian,abroad based etc
The man had to return back to base
He lost his money,The wife too based abroad was sending him money to support
He was about to lose the wife too
Do we use Juju to prevent GOOD PEOPLE from contesting
I pray for Almighty God to expose Demons in the Night,Honourable in day light people
I sincerely fear all these political office holders -Bloody and Nude Politicians.Ready to kill
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by ziga: 9:47pm On Jul 01, 2009
This is shameful! What kind of leaders do we have? And i know this kind of thing is going on at all levels. Greedy evil people so desperate to stay in power.

As a principle, i never forward chain mails. But if i was to get this picture, i will forward it to anybody who cares to see. The shameful picture should be seen by all. Maybe that will keep him and his disgraced family hiding for the rest of his shameful life.

These kind of things might be good for our democracy, people falling out with their godfathers(thief fighting thief until they all kill themselves). I know other "honorables" will now think twice before posing nude before some orisha all in the name of being in power.
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by parislomo(f): 7:12am On Jul 02, 2009
This is sad. Really sad.
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by slimshay(m): 7:58am On Jul 02, 2009
to all of you, gbenga, house members, gbogbo yin, e ni da ri dede yin, we ni rana gbe gba, is this what you have decided to turn ogun state into. we have now become the laughing stock of a comic nation. talk about the fool in a gathering of fools. haaa, ko ni da fun gbogbo yin. i saw the press conference and the idiot sitting bside alausa was talking about how they couldnt get him because he does not bath naked, and thats his secret. look at the nincompoops at the helm of affairs of my state. May God punish all of you and everything you set your hand upon. Haaaa, we ni ri se o, ohun gidi ni sunmo dede yin.
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by rasputinn(m): 8:05am On Jul 02, 2009
I see he was actually pictured STARK NAKED,I suggest spread the pictures the more to discourage any other gullible and useless office seeker/office holder from doing such outrageous things in the name of whatever
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by sley4life(m): 8:17am On Jul 02, 2009
when will 9ja change to the positive
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by kalmebad(f): 9:46am On Jul 02, 2009
Naija a country where money and power rules the citizenry

Showdown of shame, , What pple can do for power,

Where has our dignity gone to?? we throw every caution to the wind all for quest of power and money

And when all these things are gone, what legacy are we leaving behind us? Can we be remembered by our good did?, What history are we making for ourselves and our generations?

Must we all be in power? and must we all be rich? only in a country where the two matters. people get extremist to get what they want

Let them take a cue from House of commons where Ministers resign their appointment honourably, to them good name is better than gold nor silver.

Gbenga Daniel and Alausa should go and die in shame
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by Nezan(m): 9:50am On Jul 02, 2009
rasputinn:

I see he was actually pictured STARK NAKED,I suggest spread the pictures the more to discourage any other gullible and useless office seeker/office holder from doing such outrageous things in the name of whatever
I agree
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by sonety2k(m): 9:55am On Jul 02, 2009
http://www.compassnews.net/news/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21475:blood-oath-scandal-ogun-lawmaker-gives-alausa-48-hr-ultimatum&catid=43:news&Itemid=63

RE-Blood oath scandal: Ogun lawmaker gives Alausa 48-hr ultimatum  
Thursday, 02 July 2009 00:00  
Femi Shodunke (Deputy News Editor), Peter Fowoyo & Sola Adeyemo, Ibadan

THE embattled Ogun State lawmaker, Wale Alausa, has only 48 hours to retract a statement in which he indicted other lawmakers in the state of, taking blood oath.

One of his colleagues in the House of Assembly, Mr. Omosanya Solaja, who gave the ultimatum yesterday, said should Alausa refuse to retract the statement, he would sue him for libel.

Alausa had confirmed his involvement in a blood oath as exclusively published by the Nigerian Compass on Monday.

In defending his action, he said all elected officials of Ogun State, including members of the House, swore on oath as a condition for their tickets ahead of the 2007 elections.

But Solaja warned him yesterday, saying that the statement, aimed at tarnishing his and others’ image, should be withdrawn within 48 hours.

Alausa represents Ijebu-Ode State Constituency in the House.

Solaja, a member of G11, who was illegally suspended along with the former Speaker, Titi Shodunke-Oseni, by the Tunji Egbetokun-led G15 in the House, said there was no iota of truth in Alausa’s allegation and vowed to clear his name through legal means.

The lawmaker, who represents Ikenne State Constituency, said Alausa had damaged his reputation built over the years, and that he has been in pain over the barrage of inquiries directed at him from family members, relations, friends and political associates since the scandal was reported.

Also yesterday, Alausa’s father, Chief Agboola Alausa, denied the involvement of the revered Awujale and paramount ruler of Ijebuland, Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona, earlier fingered by the lawmaker, in the oath-taking scandal.

Oba Adetona had, on Tuesday, denied any knowledge of the scandal where Alausa was photographed naked, swearing on oath in an Ijebu-Igbo shrine.

Alausa had claimed that Oba Adetona prevailed on his father, who is the Otun Balogun of Ijebuland, to take the oath in the Sagamu home of Governor Gbenga Daniel.

Solaja, in an interview with the Nigerian Compass, said since Alausa’s allegation, he had been faced with embarrassment from the people of his constituency and the Methodist Church (Nigeria), where he is a Lay Preacher since 1976.

Said Solaja: “My people in Ikenne State Constituency are really embarrassed; they have been on my neck since the scandal broke. But I have assured them that I will pursue the matter to ensure that Alausa is brought to book.

“Also in my church, I have been under pressure. For instance, my presbyter has taken it (oath-taking) up with me and I have told him that steps shall be taken to clear my name. At no time did I get involved in oath-taking as claimed by Alausa.”

“I am a Lay Preacher in the Methodist Church since 1976 and I am a barrister of 30 years experience at the Bar. So, the allegation made by Alausa is very damaging against my character. I am giving him 48 hours to retract the statement, failing which I will initiate a libel suit against him for character assassination.

“I am taking this step because I never subscribed to any oath and there was no need for me to do that. That (oath) is not correct, it is unfortunate. They said I have been suspended and I have been on my own since and that is why I am suing him on my own and I am expecting my fellow members in G11 to do the same.

“They need to clear their names to prove that none of them was involved in the oath-taking as claimed by Alausa, as doing so will clear their names of this fetish act.”

Besides exonerating the Awujale of any blames, the lawmaker’s father in a statement yesterday blamed the media for misquoting his son at a press conference he (lawmaker) addressed in Lagos on Tuesday in which he spoke extensively of Oba Adetona’s involvement in the oath-taking.

The statement said: “I am surprised by the report in the press that the Awujale asked me to prevail on my son (Wale) to swear to an oath and that the Kabiyesi was present during the oath-taking.

“My son never said such a thing to the press. It is totally false and reckless.”

But the lawmaker ran his statement as advertorial in many newspapers yesterday during which he confirmed all he said at the press conference, as reported by the media.

Meanwhile, barely 78 hours after the story and photographs were published, the life of the man, who supplied the items, is now in danger.

It was learnt that a meeting was held in a popular hotel on Allen Avenue, Ikeja, Lagos, where a popular politician from Ijebu-Ode was fingered as the suppliers of the oath-taking photographs.

Present at the meeting were some of the principal players in the Assembly crisis and a popular Isolo, Lagos-based fuji musician, who is close to the Action Congress (AC).

The source said the hotel is the second home of the musician as “he practically lives there.”

The meeting was held for about four hours before they moved to a location in Magodo, Lagos.

It was at the Magodo meeting that the decision was taken that the Ijebu-Ode politician “must be dropped” (assassinated) for giving the Nigerian Compass the photographs.

It was further learnt that the politician was tipped off by one of the aides of the musician, who told him pointedly: “Your life is in danger.”

It is believed that some of the G15 members had also called the politician to threaten him.

Reacting to the scandal, a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Oyo State, Dr. Dejo Raimi, appealed to the G15 lawmakers to sheath their swords.

He told them to allow the developmental plans of the governor.

Raimi, also a member of the Yoruba Council of Elders (YCE), expressed disgust at the revelations from the camp of the feuding lawmakers over the blood oath.

The former secretary to the Oyo State Government said it was apparent that there was something “diabolical, spiritual and maybe monetary behind the crisis, if all the interventions from traditional rulers, elders committee and even the PDP at state and national levels could not save the situation.”

He added: “More astonishing was the move to cripple developmental projects in Ogun through their so-called Resolution 167, seeking to stop bond from the open market. Since about three months that the crisis has been going on, I don’t think they have passed any law which should be for the benefits of the people of the state.

“So, I am appealing to them to allow peace to reign. We cannot continue to watch while a part of Yorubaland is being set on fire.”

According to him, it was alleged that the G15 lawmakers might have been involved in some bank loans which they wanted the governor to offset on their behalf, but which he declined.

Raimi stated that even if any monetary issue was involved, the warring lawmakers and the governor could find a better way out, rather than degrading the Yoruba race through fetish means.

His words: “If truly they borrowed money from banks and they wanted Gbenga Daniel to help them, they could have approached him, and maybe he might be deducting it from their monthly pay or any other means, instead of taking it to the ridiculous extent of the type of pictures we saw in Nigerian Compass.

“As for the YCE, one of our most respected Yoruba governors is Gbenga Daniel, so we cannot leave him alone while his state is burning. After all, none of the two groups has the required number of lawmakers to impeach the governor. So, why don’t they jaw-jaw and allow peace to reign?”

Yesterday, Lagos lawyer and human rights activist, Bamidele Aturu, condemned the Resolution 167 by the Assembly barring the state government from raising the N50 billion development bond.

He described it as “reckless, illegal, null and void and of no effect whatsoever.”

Declaring that the lawmakers have no such powers, Aturu said: “The House of Assembly in purporting to pass such a resolution has clearly gone beyond its own jurisdiction. It has exceeded its power. What it has done is ultra vires, because the House of Assembly of Ogun State is created by the constitution, and it follows that anything that it wants to do, it must be able to find a justification or a warrant in that constitution.

“Specifically, the House of Assembly of Ogun State, like any other House of Assembly, is created by Section 90 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. And that section defines the powers of the House of Assembly to make laws for the good order and stability of Ogun State.

“Now, Section 100 of the constitution regulates the mood by which the House of Assembly of Ogun State, or any state in Nigeria for that matter, can pass laws. This is through bills. All these bills are passed, the governor assents to them (bills), then they become laws for the state.

“Now, there is another power that is given to the House of Assembly. That power is to be found in Sections 128 and 129 of the constitution. It is the power that relates to what I call the investigative jurisdiction of the House of Assembly, and it is a limited jurisdiction because the constitution makes it clear that the House of Assembly cannot exceed the power conferred on it under that section. It is for them to make a law and to also expose waste or corruption. So, apart from making laws; apart from doing a public investigation for the purpose of making laws or for exposing corruption, the House of Assembly of Ogun State or any state has no other power over the public fund of any state and of Ogun State in particular.

“That is why I am shocked that the House of Assembly is going beyond its constitutional power.

“They may claim that they have a right under Section 125 of the constitution regarding the public account of a state. It is the Auditor-General of the state that can audit the public account of Ogun State, and once that has been done that, then of course, then of course it can be submitted to the House of Assembly of the state concerned.”

Aturu said the resolution of the House in question was not based on Section 125 but on the audit of the Auditor-General, which makes it “incurably illegal.”

He said even if it was based on the report of the Auditor-General under Section 125, they (legislators) have no power to compel or prevent legal institutes such as banks or even state governments from either entering into loan transactions “because that section does not give them that power.”

“The point I am making, which I want to make very accurately and very succinctly, is that where a legislature (whether of the state or the federation) exceeds its powers, whatever it does in respect of that power would be regarded as a nullity, unconstitutional and of no effect whatsoever.”

Aturu added that there is nothing in the constitution that even indicates that a mere resolution of a House is binding on anybody, including the governor and banks, as it is only an advisory opinion.

He said in a constitutional democracy, like Nigeria, it is wrong for a branch of government to give the impression that it is using “military jack boot methodology” to force its decisions on the state government.
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by sonety2k(m): 10:01am On Jul 02, 2009
http://www.compassnews.net/news/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21487:g15-has-murdered-sleep-and-theyll-sleep-no-more-say-ogun-elders&catid=36:poilitics&Itemid=58

G15 has murdered sleep and they’ll sleep no more, say Ogun Elders
Thursday, 02 July 2009 00:00

[b]The Chairman of Ogun East Council of Elders of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Kolapo Ogunjobi, was an unhappy man on Monday. His mood , is understandable. The photograph of the embattled Ogun State lawmaker, Wale Alausa, in a blood oath-taking exclusively published by the Nigerian Compass on that day was what gave him and other party members who had gathered at his country home in Ode-Remo, over the matter a headache. Alausa, who is the lawmaker representing Ijebu -Ode Constituency in the state Assembly, comes from the senatorial district. When BIMBO OGUNNAIKE met him, Ogunjobi spoke on Alausa and the opposition G15 group, saying they have murdered sleep by standing in the way of the governor,Otunba Gbenga Daniel, and the people of the state.

What is your reaction to the photograph of Ogun lawmaker, Wale Alausa enmeshed in blood oath taking exclusively published by Nigerian Compass on Monday?

I was shocked to the marrow when I saw the pictures, especially when I discovered that it is the picture of one of the members of the House of Assembly in Ogun State. The man in that picture, Wale Alausa, I wouldn’t call him Honourable Wale Alausa because he is a dishonourable person. He is a member of the notorious gang called G15 in the House of Assembly.

Now, let me go quickly to history a little bit. When this trouble started with the impeachment of Honourable Speaker Titi Oseni,I was in South Africa and it was John Obafemi, Chairman Remo North Local Government who phoned me to intimate me of what was going on in Ogun State. He even told me that the governor was not around, but that the governor would be arriving that night, the night he phoned me. That was when the trouble started. That was the genesis of the problem.

Did the party put things in place to nip this problem before it became festered?

I want to quickly tell you that there is nothing or there was nothing the governor did not do, there was nothing the elders of the party did not do, there was nothing the leaders of the party did not do, the local government chairmen throughout the state; there was nothing they did not do, there was nothing the royal fathers in the state did not do to placate them.

Eminent personalities across the state, name it, there was nothing they did not do to placate this group of 15 lawmakers but all fell on deaf ears until we saw the picture and saw the reason why they have been so lackadaisical, why they have been so recalcitrant, why they did not listen to the voice of reason, including our Papa, Awujale of Ijebuland, Akarigbo of Remoland, Alake of Egbaland and Elders Forum led by Prince Bola Ajibola and assisted by General Alani Akinrinade and host of others. I read in your newspaper that they swore by their first children.

What do you think of the attitude of the G15 members who swore by their first children?

To me, they have behaved like the people who never went to school, half baked ,and these are not the kind of people that you expect to be in the House of Assembly. In particular, we are disappointed by Wale Alausa because his father is supposed to be one of the chieftains of this party, as a matter of fact chairman of this senatorial district. I am therefore advising him, through the press, that he should resign and that his father should disown him because it is a disgrace to their family. I can’t see any educated person who would descend to that level, to the level of going to the shrine to swear by their children. They are even wicked.

We learnt that some of the members of the G15 are from this senatorial district. What are the elders doing to curb their activities?

During the time we were using conciliatory approach, calling upon them to see reason, we have talked about punitive measures, we have talked about recall process, we have talked about everything, name it. But we didn’t want to rock the boat and most of these punitive measures we shelved. It is very easy for us to recall any one of them. There is a particular one from this local government called Boye Olusola, we would have recalled him a long time.

We have the weapon, the constitutional weapon to use against them, but the fact is that the governor is a man of peace, he wouldn’t want us to apply big stick that we have. It won’t take the leaders of the party in the district one week to recall any of these recalcitrant lawmakers,so, we waited up till this time. But now let me tell you that they have now finished themselves. I don’t think they can go back to the assembly from what you have published and people have seen, I cannot see how they can go back. So we did not recall them, they have rather recalled themselves.

Are you saying you are not going to recall them but leave them to withdraw their membership of the House?

What I said was that we are in a position to recall them, we have put all the processes in place but because the governor is a peace loving person, well bred, good in birth and noble in hereditary, he wants peace and this is the reason why we have not recalled them, we would have recalled them a long time ago. So the issue of whether we are going to leave them now or not is a forgone conclusion, you can see what has happened.

And let us wait for the next few days to see how events would unfold. It is not for me at this stage as the chairman of the Elders’ Council in Ogun East Senatorial District to tell you whether we are going to leave them or not because we in this district are not going to act in isolation of the other senatorial districts. It is what is going to happen here that will happen in the Central, the same thing that will happen in the West. So, I am representing Ogun East as chairman of the Elders Council and I cannot tell you now whether we are going to leave them alone or not,or we are going to drive them away from the assembly. I am not going to say that, I am not going to venture to say that. It is going to be the collective and joint action of the three senatorial districts.

What is your advise to the party members in this zone on this latest development?

The party members have watched the scenarios happening in the state in more than one year now and everybody, including me here, have learnt our lessons. We have discovered that you cannot swim against the tide and you cannot antagonise your leader. The leader in this case is the Otunba Gbenga Daniel. He is the leader of the party in Ogun State. And all of us, from the senatorial district level, to the local government level, to the ward levels have realised that there is no way we can oppose the leaders of the party, not to talk of Otunba Gbenga Daniel being governor of Ogun State, the first citizen of this state. So we have all learnt our lessons.

Those who have not learnt, have learnt now that you cannot swim against the tide. And I am sure that the rest of the G15, apart from Wale Alausa, would now be scampering for safety. And of course long before now, they have murdered sleep and they would sleep no more like Macbeth’s wife
.[/b]

Six out of the G15 members are from your zone, people of this zone elected them into the office on the platform of the party. What are you going to do to guide against lawmakers from the zone going against the party leaders and the party in future?

Thank you very much. There is a common saying that prevention is better than cure. There is no question of what we are going to do to prevent it. What we are to do is that we are not going to send such people again to the House of Assembly, never from this zone. And of course, we have not just disowned lawmakers from this senatorial district, we have disowned all the members of G15, all of them without exception across the state
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by Tasma: 10:06am On Jul 02, 2009
It's becoming clearer to everyone why the country is in the state it's in. The fellows in positions to change things around are too busy running around naked in babalawo shrines. As a nation we are extremely immature and self centred. What possible agenda to make his state or constituency better can a man have when he's prepared to swear a blood oath for position.

Lastly for those who say we should not be offended that Nigerians are using our own cultural or traditional means you seem to miss the point completely. The question is what is he swearing the oath for? A legislator swearing an oath that he will never oppose the Governor of the state!? How exactly is he supposed to do his work properly?
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by sonety2k(m): 10:16am On Jul 02, 2009
Tasma:

It's becoming clearer to everyone why the country is in the state it's in. The fellows in positions to change things around are too busy running around naked in babalawo shrines. As a nation we are extremely immature and self centred. What possible agenda to make his state or constituency better can a man have when he's prepared to swear a blood oath for position.

Lastly for those who say we should not be offended that Nigerians are using our own cultural or traditional means you seem to miss the point completely. The question is what is he swearing the oath for? A legislator swearing an oath that he will never oppose the Governor of the state!? How exactly is he supposed to do his work properly?

True talk , , my person ,

how can they the legislator opposed THE GOVERNOR OF THE STATE AFTER SWEARING To OATH?
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by sonety2k(m): 10:20am On Jul 02, 2009
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/policy_politics/article01//indexn2_html?pdate=020709&ptitle=Ogun%20Crisis:%20How%20it%20all%20started

[b]Ogun Crisis: How it all started[/b]By Bayo Ohu

The ongoing political crisis in Ogun State that has virtually put leaders of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and Governor Gbenga Daniel at loggerheads started after the 2007 general elections when the governor was alleged to have perfected strategies to take over the party allegedly to manipulate it to further his political interest ahead of the governorship election in 2011. In fact, the crisis has been centered around the politics of 2011 and which of the three Senatorial zones will produce the governor.

Indeed, the protracted crisis has polarized the State House of Assembly along two major groups of a group of fifteen members, now popularly being called G 15 and another group of eleven members in G 11. The G 15 is being led by the present Speaker of the House, Hon. Tunji Egbetokun and its primary objective was to antagonize the governor. It was alleged that there were plans by the group to initiate impeachment move against governor Gbenga Daniel. The G11 is comprised of legislators who are sympathetic to the governor.

The crisis and battle for supremacy at the House has led to impeachment of the former Speaker Titi Oseni who is a pro-Gbenga Daniel lawmaker. The G 15 had instigated her removal and installed Egbetokun who has since been championing anti-Gbenga Daniel activities. At a time, the legislative work at the House was paralysed as members from the two camps engaged in open and physical assaults during which some of them were critically injured. The State Police Command, which has also since been accused of partisanship was forced to shut down the House of Assembly complex, which led to a prolonged halt to legislative duties.

Fundamentally, prominent politicians in the state have been drawn into the fray. Specifically, former President Olusegun Obasanjo, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole, Senator Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello, Dr. Doyin Okupe and other eminent citizens of the state, especially those from Ogun Central Senatorial zone and the Egbas generally were believed to be at war with Governor Gbenga Daniel over his alleged plan to assist the Yewas/Awori people of Ogun East Senatorial zone to produce the next governor in 2011.

The story has been that the Egbas have always been determined to continue to dominate the political affairs of the state by producing the next governor after Gbenga Daniel in 2011. Along this political thinking, Senator Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello from Owu is believed to be very keen in becoming the governor. Speaker Dimeji Bankole too was rumoured to be eyeing the governorship. But his close aides and associates have denied this claim. According to them, Dimeji Bankole, as the number four citizen in the country today is occupying a position that is more important in political ranking than the governorship.

Dimeji Bankole, according to one of his aides is satisfied with his present political pre-eminence over a governor of a state. Bankole, he added has the entire Country as his constituency and he even control a bigger budget and have a wider political influence far more than what any governor can dream of having. He said: " Bankole should be left out of the crisis in Ogun State as he has no hand in whatever is happening there presently. What Bankole has been doing and will continue to do is to ensure that the House of Representatives work assiduously towards ensuring good governance and enhancing quality lives for the people of Nigeria through legislations".

In all this, Gbenga Daniel was seen to be scheming to ensure that somebody from the Ogun West Senatorial zone emerges the governor in 2011. But his close aides have denied that the PDP governorship ticket has been reserved for any particular zone.

According to Chief Niyi Adegbenro, Special Adviser on Political matters to governor Gbenga Daniel, there was no truth in the insinuations that Daniel has preference for a particular zone or candidate. He said what the governor believes in and has been saying is that there will be justice and fair play in the process that will lead to the emergence of the next governor. "So, a level playing ground would be provided for whoever decides to contest the governorship in 2011", he added.

However, the crisis has defied all efforts to resolve it. Prominent traditional rulers in the State, including the Alake of Egbaland, the Awujale of Ijebuland and others have intervened to settle the rift but failed. The leadership of the ruling PDP has waded in to reconcile the warring factions of the party but with little success.

Although at a meeting called by the party in Abuja to reconcile governor Daniel and the other faction led by Senator Jubril Martins Kuye, the two sides promised to end the rift and work together in the interest of the party, there has not been any positive development to suggest that all is well.

Adegbenro frowned at the way and manner members of the State House of Assembly are causing tensions in the state, saying that if the legislators have anything incriminating against the governor, they should send their petition to the Chief Judge who will set up a panel to investigate all the allegations and if the governor was found guilty of any offence, then let them impeach him.
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by back2back(f): 10:21am On Jul 02, 2009
Daniel got it wrong and he should resign.

If he is honest and want progress why should he request BLOOD oath from anyone; did voters request BLOOD oath from him?

It shows his criminal and evil mind.

Wale Alausa on his part  took BLOOD oath to get his aim, many of you on this board will do much worse.

Key Questions are:

1. what BLOOD oath did Daniel took to be come Governor

2. what BLOOD oath did Yaradua took to be come President.

For me sha, it is time to run far far away from this country called Nigeria; nothing good will come out of it.

Abegi, who go help me.
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by sonety2k(m): 10:24am On Jul 02, 2009
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/july/02/national-02-07-2009-01.htm

Blood oath mess: Count me out – Awujale By MOSHOOD ADEBAYO, Abeokuta
Thursday, July 2, 2009

Governor Gbenga Daniel.
Photo: The Sun Publishing
More Stories on This Section

[b]The paramount ruler of Ijebuland, Oba Sikiru Adetona, whose name was mentioned by Hon. Wale Alausa as a key dramatis personnae in the raging oath-taking mess in Ogun State, has exonerated himself from the shameful act.

The monarch, whose name has also been dropped by Governor Gbenga Daniel, as one of those who laboured to mediate in the face-off between the executive and the legislative arm in the Gateway State denied knowing anything about the oath, which fallout was the nude publication of Hon. Alausa on Monday by a national daily.
Speaking through his Secretary, Mrs. Fisayo Akudu on Wednesday, Awujale said: “It is all lies and in any event there is no coherence and logic in his claim. It is all lies, I knew nothing about blood oath taking; I was not involved. I am a well respected Oba and my name should not be dragged into this.”

Meanwhile, palpable fears have gripped many political office holders in Ogun State following revelation by the Speaker of the state House of Assembly, Hon. Tunji Egbetokun and Hon. Alausa, that most of them took oath at the instance of Governor Gbenga Daniel before they secured their tickets for their different political offices.

The PDP office holders are afraid that their pictures might be published in any newspaper because they were not sure that they were not photographed when they were taking the oaths.
Both Egbetokun and Alausa at different press conferences in Lagos and Abeokuta last Tuesday confessed that most of the serving political office holders, as well as chairmen of local government councils were under oaths with Governor Daniel.

Egbetokun, who addressed journalists at the Assembly’s Committee Room, Abeokuta shortly after he returned from Lagos where Alausa addressed similar conference, also stated that 80 percent of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state are spiritualists.

On his own, Alausa while giving an account of his nude photographs published by the Compass Newspaper stated: “Long before then, especially before the 2007 elections, shortly after the party primaries, Otunba Gbenga Daniel had ensured that most, if not all, of those seeking elective offices, including some serving members of the National Assembly, took the oath of allegiance to him.”

Continuing, the son of Otun Balogun of Ijebuland, Chief Agboola Alausa said: “You can ask your colleagues in the Ogun State House of Assembly, if they are honest, they will also tell you that there is no council chairman that did not take the oath before their elections.”

Egbetokun said: “I took such an oath right in the governor’s private residence in Sagamu in the presence of some former public office holders in the state, but I was not naked.”
Describing Governor Daniel’s publication of Alausa’s picture in his newspaper, (The Compass Newspaper) as a breach of trust, confidence and loyalty, the speaker said the nude pictures saga had not really brought any ridicule to the House.

His words: “We have not seen it as bringing ridicule to the Assembly because the issue is more political than governance and we are to legislate. We will investigate and take proper action.”
Meanwhile, concerned Ogun people, both within and outside, have been speaking on the publication of the nude picture of Alausa as not only ‘shameful but betrayal of trust’.

Those who spoke, which included serving political office holders and politicians, wondered why such a thing made in absolute confidence was made a public issue.

“It is very unfortunate. When the oath-taking saga first came out, I did not believe it. But the confession of the lawmaker that he actually took it at the instance of Governor Gbenga Daniel made the whole thing worse.
“This people have brought shame, ridicule and even have succeeded in smearing the good name of the state which our late illustrious sons and daughters struggled to build.”

He also lamented the alleged involvement of some prominent traditional rulers in the saga. “I cover my face as a chief from this state. What do our traditional rulers want in politics? They have lost their respect as our fathers who could be used and manipulated by politicians at the slightest opportunity. This is a disgraceful act.”[/
b]
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by debetmx(m): 11:20am On Jul 02, 2009
Wonders they say shall never cease. What is Nollywood waiting for, what a perfect script. The man can still call the name of Allah. He will go to the mosque and call us who drink beer and smoke hypocrites
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by Tylenol: 9:26am On Jul 03, 2009
There is a difference between this oath and those taken at official swearing-in ceremonies.

The dude can swear an oath by whatever deity he likes - it's his right as a Nigerian. However, he swore an oath to never take part in impeachment proceedings against the Governor even if his actions justify such an action. Therein lies the difference!
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by Nezan(m): 11:01am On Jul 03, 2009
debetmx:

Wonders they say shall never cease. What is Nollywood waiting for, what a perfect script. The man can still call the name of Allah. He will go to the mosque and call us who drink beer and smoke hypocrites
grin grin grin
Re: Oath-taking Lawmaker Apologies by daragrams(m): 1:19am On Jul 04, 2009
what a shame on ogun state

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Court Jails Six MASSOB Members In Asaba / BREAKING : Senate President Saraki Finally Steps Down / BREAKING: APC postpones governorship campaign in Kwara over insecurity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.