Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,487 members, 7,819,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million (6574 Views)

Check Out The Phone That Costs $250 Million / Are You Using Swiftkey Keyboard? Come In Lets Have Fun!!! / Swiftkey Might Have Displayed Your Email Address And Phone Numbers To Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by Nsonaso(m): 4:35am On Feb 06, 2016
martineinstein:
they want to incorporate it with their wordflow keyboard...imagine swiftkey➕ wordflow➕ arc keyboard will bring to the table
Incorporate indeed.... Same way they incorporated Nokia by ruining Nokia. I will never forgive them for that.

Same way they wanted to ruin Xiaomi with their plague mobile OS and I guess that's what is causing hate between them and Google, (if at all there's any) maybe they've asked Google to incorporate Android with their plague Windows Mobile and Google refused.

God punish Microsoft Windows Mobile division...
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by Nsonaso(m): 4:51am On Feb 06, 2016
martineinstein:
Microsoft have released all its core apps to Android, which makes the platform enterprise friendly. Google refusal to release her apps to windowsphone is the main reason why windows phone is not growing... Microsoft is gradually fighting back by gradually deposing Apple and Google in tablet space..a surface phone will surely dent Android devices. The world is gradually shifting from smartphones to vr and ar; Facebook and Microsoft are far ahead, while Apple and Google are yet to get themselves together
Bro which Google Apps are you referring to? Chrome, Map, Google Now etc.
I don't know though you can enlighten me.

But seriously if those apps are what you mean bro even if Google should release 50 of each of those apps to Windows Mobile it wouldn't make Windows Mobile a success.... That OS is a plague and if you have your way with them, tell 'em to close down Windows Mobile OS division and chanel the effort to Windows PC and believe me if they do, in 2 years Windows PC OS is going to be taken to a whole new level.

And about surface phone denting Android devices, it's a future we pray for that never come to pass.

And about Microsoft and Facebook being ahead of Apple and Google, I don't see it in a near future possibly it will be for our Children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children
Note: each of this children is of different generation also an of spring of the other children. So it might probably take a decade for this future to come and by then, me and you will be gone. So why not we enjoy the one at our disposal now which is Android and iOS

1 Like

Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by martineinstein(m): 6:06am On Feb 06, 2016
Nsonaso:

Bro which Google Apps are you referring to? Chrome, Map, Google Now etc.
I don't know though you can enlighten me.

But seriously if those apps are what you mean bro even if Google should release 50 of each of those apps to Windows Mobile it wouldn't make Windows Mobile a success.... That OS is a plague and if you have your way with them, tell 'em to close down Windows Mobile OS division and chanel the effort to Windows PC and believe me if they do, in 2 years Windows PC OS is going to be taken to a whole new level.

And about surface phone denting Android devices, it's a future we pray for that never come to pass.

And about Microsoft and Facebook being ahead of Apple and Google, I don't see it in a near future possibly it will be for our Children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children children
Note: each of this children is of different generation also an of spring of the other children. So it might probably take a decade for this future to come and by then, me and you will be gone. So why not we enjoy the one at our disposal now which is Android and iOS
and u think Microsoft will give up easily on mobile? Go and check their history and see if they give up easily.. Same way people wrote them off in the tablet sector. They even predicted the 'post pc era', but what is happening in tablet sector?apple and google are battling to compete with Microsoft for the future of tablet, which Microsoft is currently dictating. Android tablets and ipads have been plummeting for more than two years, only for Microsoft to launch surface tablets, which has become a reference point for Apple and Google. Android OEMs have given up on high end tablets(a good example of Samsung,who threw off the towel on high end Android tablets in order to focus on windows hybrid tablets).Apple's iPad and MacBook future are in great jeopardy due to the success of hybrid computers.

smartphone sales have plateaued. The lack of innovations and poor upgrade cycle have helped in slow growth of the industry. Analysts have predicted that introduction of pocket PC a là surface phone will seriously dent smartphones' image, just like what surface tablet did to the tablet sector. Poor ROI on Android phones; fall out between Android OEMs and Google, and fall in Apple shares are making smartphones producers look for alternative, hence augmented reality and virtual reality, which Facebook and Microsoft are far ahead.

As of virtual reality and augmented reality, the resolution about to be initiated. Facebook is about to launch it's 'oculus rift ' next month; Microsoft hololens gearing for its launch sometimes this year. The connivance between Facebook and Microsoft in unseating Apple and Google's duopoly through VR and AR is perfectly in shape. Google and Apple doesn't have a viable competitor to vr and ar.

Sorry for the poor grammar and spellings, typing while am half awake

Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by Nsonaso(m): 7:08am On Feb 06, 2016
martineinstein:
and u think Microsoft will give up easily on mobile? Go and check their history and see if they give up easily.. Same way people wrote them off in the tablet sector. They even predicted the 'post pc era', but what is happening in tablet sector?apple and google are battling to compete with Microsoft for the future of tablet, which Microsoft is currently dictating. Android tablets and ipads have been plummeting for more than two years, only for Microsoft to launch surface tablets, which has become a reference point for Apple and Google. Android OEMs have given up on high end tablets(a good example of Samsung,who threw off the towel on high end Android tablets in order to focus on windows hybrid tablets).Apple's iPad and MacBook future are in great jeopardy due to the success of hybrid computers.

smartphone sales have plateaued. The lack of innovations and poor upgrade cycle have helped in slow growth of the industry. Analysts have predicted that introduction of pocket PC a là surface phone will seriously dent smartphones' image, just like what surface tablet did to the tablet sector. Poor ROI on Android phones; fall out between Android OEMs and Google, and fall in Apple shares are making smartphones producers look for alternative, hence augmented reality and virtual reality, which Facebook and Microsoft are far ahead.

As of virtual reality and augmented reality, the resolution about to be initiated. Facebook is about to launch it's 'oculus rift ' next month; Microsoft hololens gearing for its launch sometimes this year. The connivance between Facebook and Microsoft in unseating Apple and Google's duopoly through VR and AR is perfectly in shape. Google and Apple doesn't have a viable competitor to vr and ar.

I know when you say Microsoft wins in the line of Tablet you're referring to Microsoft Surface Pro series ( which include Pro 3 and 4 respectively)

Yes Microsoft wins because people don't actually know what they want as a tablet,

Tablet as I know it runs on Mobile operating systems and mobile processor (you can check Wikipedia)

The Surface Pro packs a full PC processor Intel Core i5 and i7 and runs a full flagged windows PC OS
Surface Pro has heat sink, 2 or more USB 3.0 ports etc

So the Microsoft Surface Pro isn't a Tablet but a FULL FLAGGED COMPLETE PC (aka Ultrabook) in a compact size or in a Tablet shape and you know an Ultrabook is even powerful than an average PC. And this take me to my earlier comments that Microsoft will do better with Windows PC OS than mobile OS (You can also check the success of Microsoft Tablet when it runs on Windows RT it's was a plague as well)

Still waiting when those will be cramped in 5.5 Phablet surface phone to make surface phone dent Android (maybe in the future pray for that may never come)

Even Microsoft themselves will tell you they've move from Tablet to a complete PC (check the picture below)

And believe me people who still wants a Tablet and a PC will still buy Android or iOS Tablet + The Surface Pro because there are lots that are missing in Full flagged Windows PC OS

........ And about VR just good for watching movies maybe play games and too expensive and Chinese this days are making smartphone to be very very cheap, which will make smartphone to last as long as this our generation.

Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by martineinstein(m): 7:53am On Feb 06, 2016
Nsonaso:

I know when you say Microsoft wins in the line of Tablet you're referring to Microsoft Surface Pro series ( which include Pro 3 and 4 respectively)

Yes Microsoft wins because people don't actually know what they want as a tablet,

Tablet as I know it runs on Mobile operating systems and mobile processor (you can check Wikipedia)

The Surface Pro packs a full PC processor Intel Core i5 and i7 and runs a full flagged windows PC OS
Surface Pro has heat sink, 2 or more USB 3.0 ports etc

So the Microsoft Surface Pro isn't a Tablet but a FULL FLAGGED COMPLETE PC (aka Ultrabook) in a compact size or in a Tablet shape and you know an Ultrabook is even powerful than an average PC. And this take me to my earlier comments that Microsoft will do better with Windows PC OS than mobile OS (You can also check the success of Microsoft Tablet when it runs on Windows RT it's was a plague as well)

Still waiting when those will be cramped in 5.5 Phablet surface phone to make surface phone dent Android (maybe in the future pray for that may never come)

Even Microsoft themselves will tell you they've move from Tablet to a complete PC (check the picture below)

And believe me people who still wants a Tablet and a PC will still buy Android or iOS Tablet + The Surface Pro because there are lots that are missing in Full flagged Windows PC OS

........ And about VR just good for watching movies maybe play games and too expensive and Chinese this days are making smartphone to be very very cheap, which will make smartphone to last as long as this our generation.
people don't know what they want?. Dats an expensive joke... The major reason why people opted for hybrid is because of the question,'y should I buy a tablet when I have a phablet?' Or' y should I buy a tablet when my phone can do better?' Or ' y should I buy a tablet when it's meant for consumption rather than for productive user usage? Or better still' y should I buy a tablet and I will still need a computer. y not buy a hybrid tablet that have the power of a computer in tablet form in order to save cost?'... Those are the main reasons y tablets sales plummet.

Tablet is not defined by its operating system,but by its form factor.it can come with mobile OS or full Os. Surface pros are not ultrabook, they are hybrid tablets or 2-in1 computers. Get your fact right.

Waiting for when surface phone will dent smartphones sale? That was what Apple fans said before the advent of surface pros and surface book... Go to Apple-related sites and see how they ditched their beloved iPads and MacBook for surface book/surface pros and how they yearn for surface phone with continuum feature. The surface brand is the only brand that have successfully matched Apple 's prestigious iPad and MacBook brand in both pricing and quality. In fact, it's even more pricy than Apple 's devices

Surface rt, iPad and Android tablets are in the same category of mobile os. They are all falling. Surface pros are called 2-in-1 because they incorporate tablet,laptop and desktop functionalities.imagine a tablet a là surface pro 4 that come with 16gb ram, integrate iris gpu, core i7 and 1TB of storage,y would u need a laptop and about tablet?

Vr is not meant for watching movies or playing games; it has a lot of functions... With it, the future of television is in jeopardy.vr and ar along side with driverless cars,IOT and cloud computing after the future of technology
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by Nsonaso(m): 9:24am On Feb 06, 2016
martineinstein:
people don't know what they want?. Dats an expensive joke... The major reason why people opted for hybrid is because of the question,'y should I buy a tablet when I have a phablet?' Or' y should I buy a tablet when my phone can do better?' Or ' y should I buy a tablet when it's meant for consumption rather than for productive user usage? Or better still' y should I buy a tablet and I will still need a computer. y not buy a hybrid tablet that have the power of a computer in tablet form in order to save cost?'... Those are the main reasons y tablets sales plummet.

Tablet is not defined by its operating system,but by its form factor.it can come with mobile OS or full Os. Surface pros are not ultrabook, they are hybrid tablets or 2-in1 computers. Get your fact right.

Waiting for when surface phone will dent smartphones sale? That was what Apple fans said before the advent of surface pros and surface book... Go to Apple-related sites and see how they ditched their beloved iPads and MacBook for surface book/surface pros and how they yearn for surface phone with continuum feature. The surface brand is the only brand that have successfully matched Apple 's prestigious iPad and MacBook brand in both pricing and quality. In fact, it's even more pricy than Apple 's devices

Surface rt, iPad and Android tablets are in the same category of mobile os. They are all falling. Surface pros are called 2-in-1 because they incorporate tablet,laptop and desktop functionalities.imagine a tablet a là surface pro 4 that come with 16gb ram, integrate iris gpu, core i7 and 1TB of storage,y would u need a laptop and about tablet?

Vr is not meant for watching movies or playing games; it has a lot of functions... With it, the future of television is in jeopardy.vr and ar along side with driverless cars,IOT and cloud computing after the future of technology
Ultrabook is a specification and trademarked brand by Intel for a class of high-end subnotebooks designed to feature reduced bulk without compromising battery life. They use low-power Intel Core processors, solid-state drives, and unibody chassis to help meet these criteria. Due to their limited size, Ultrabooks typically omit common laptop features such as optical disc drives and Ethernet ports.Ultrabook is a portmanteau of words ultraportable and notebook.

Are you still saying Surface Pro 3 and 4 is not an Ultrabook?

Compare the specifications of Surface Pro 4 with other Ultrabooks and tell me the difference based on the above definition of Ultrabook.
So for the fact that it's not called an Ultrabook doesn't mean it's not.

For instance: Man is class of human being [/b]with some distinct characteristics that makes them different from [b]woman.
And you have those characteristics of a Man but you're called John instead of Man. Does that make you not a Man?

Like I said those who want a Tablet will still buy a Android Tablet or iPad as their Tablet and Surface Pro 3 or 4 as their PC.

Surface 3 or 4 is too big plus wight, can't be carried around like a conversational 9.7 to 10.1 inches Android Tablet or iPad, and also there are consumer apps like you said that ain't available for Windows PC but available for Android OS or iPad.

Majority of people who buys Surface Pro use it for productivity while those who buys Android iOS Tablet use it for consumption....

For me I own a A Windows laptop, Android Tablet, Phablet and a phone. And all of them serve a different purposes.

Imagine holding a Surface Pro 4 playing a racing game with accelerometer sensor, you gonna grow some muscle within days etc...

Smartphone or Phablet are too small to do some stuffs so it can't replace a Tablet

Then about VR, I don't really know much but I use to think is something like Nintendo Wii Game or something like the picture below.... And believe me if it's that thing on the picture, then it really has a long way to go to be able to make it to the generation of children children let alone our own generation (As in Taking over Smartphone)...

Imagine your old mom wearing those before he could be able to communicate with you on a phone

Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by martineinstein(m): 10:03am On Feb 06, 2016
Nsonaso:

Ultrabook is a specification and trademarked brand by Intel for a class of high-end subnotebooks designed to feature reduced bulk without compromising battery life. They use low-power Intel Core processors, solid-state drives, and unibody chassis to help meet these criteria. Due to their limited size, Ultrabooks typically omit common laptop features such as optical disc drives and Ethernet ports.Ultrabook is a portmanteau of words ultraportable and notebook.

Compare the specifications of Surface Pro 4 with other Ultrabooks and tell me the difference based on the above definition of Ultrabook.

For instance: Man is class of human being [/b]with some distinct characteristics that makes them different from [b]woman.
And you have those characteristics of a Man but you're called John instead of Man. Does that make you not a Man?

Like I said those who want a Tablet will still buy a Android Tablet or iPad as their Tablet and Surface Pro 3 or 4 as their PC.

Surface 3 or 4 is too big plus wight, can't be carried around like a conversational 9.7 to 10.1 inches Android Tablet or iPad, and also there are consumer apps like you said that ain't available for Windows PC but available for Android OS or iPad.

Majority of people who buys Surface Pro use it for productivity while those who buys Android iOS Tablet use it for consumption....

For me I own a A Windows laptop, Android Tablet, Phablet and a phone. And all of them serve a different purposes.

Imagine holding a Surface Pro 4 playing a racing game with accelerometer sensor, you gonna grow some muscle within days etc...

Smartphone or Phablet are too small to do some stuffs so it can't replace a Tablet
ultrabook is aforn factor and not necessary a spec factor...they are potable laptops like MacBook,MacBook air,elitebooks,ideapads etc. They are very thin and light and uses UlTRA LOW VOLTAGE processors.... Surface pro 3 and 4 are hybrid tablets that are called LAPLETS(TABLET ➕ LAPTOP), WHILE ultrabooks are extremely light laptops. They both uses ULTRA LOW VOLTAGE (ULV) processors.

Surface pros are laplets
Surface book are ultrabook with tablet functions

Notice that most ultrabooks have 'book' as their surfix
MacBook,elitebook, surfacebook etc.

If surface pro are too big and weighty,then iPad pro which is bigger, galaxy note pro and google pixel c,which are surface pro wannabes are too big also..
Tell me what a normal tablet can do and surface can't?

If surface pro 3 @and 4 are too big, then get a surface 3, which is a 10' version.... There after tablets apps in Windows store. In short they have more than 300k apps in their store. Your statement on Windows laptop doesn't have app store shows that you are still using Windows 7... IPad and windows are the only oses with tablet Apps;Android has no tablet app, but uses phone apps as tablet app

U don't need to hold surface while paying games.. Game pads are available.
I wonder how phone ➕ phablet➕ tablet➕ laptop are being used for different purposes when phablet/phones ➕ laptop are enough?... Am sure your tablet is underspecced compared to your phablet.

If phones are too small to use compared to tablets l, how come phablets are sending tablets to their graves. ?....iPhone 6 plus and surface pro are the major factors while iPad stop growing in sales
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by martineinstein(m): 10:22am On Feb 06, 2016
Nsonaso:

Then about VR, I don't really know much but I use to think is something like Nintendo Wii Game or something like the picture below.... And believe me if it's that thing on the picture, then it really has a long way to go to be able to make it to the generation of children children let alone our own generation (As in Taking over Smartphone)...

Imagine your old mom wearing those before he could be able to communicate with you on a phone
this vr is a watered-down vr, made by Samsung and owned by Facebook.. The main vr are about to be launched next month.. Sony PlayStation vr, Facebook oculus and HTC vive after set to be launched next month, while Microsoft hololens( which is an AR) is to be unveiled in April

Below are pics of Microsoft Hololens

Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by Nobody: 10:30am On Feb 06, 2016
martineinstein:
Microsoft have released all its core apps to Android, which makes the platform enterprise friendly. Google refusal to release her apps to windowsphone is the main reason why windows phone is not growing... Microsoft is gradually fighting back by gradually deposing Apple and Google in tablet space..a surface phone will surely dent Android devices. The world is gradually shifting from smartphones to vr and ar; Facebook and Microsoft are far ahead, while Apple and Google are yet to get themselves together

Since you hate Google cos they didnt release their core apps, what ahout Apple? VR and AR are the future but the question is , are they the present??
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by martineinstein(m): 11:16am On Feb 06, 2016
ollah1:

Since you hate Google cos they didnt release their core apps, what ahout Apple? VR and AR are the future but the question is , are they the present??
the future is now.y did u think Google overtook apple as the biggest company in the world by stock?y do u think Facebook is now the fourth largest company in the world? Because stockbrokers doesn't see iPhones(Apple main source of revenue) as the future. Investors still see Google as a viable company. Google and Facebook are major rivals in advertising. Anything that will make Facebook and Microsoft lead the vr and ar revolution and monopolize it, Google stock will fall.. That y Tim cook and alphabet(Google) are seriously looking vr
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by Flashh: 11:41am On Feb 06, 2016
Nsonaso:

Incorporate indeed.... Same way they incorporated Nokia by ruining Nokia. I will never forgive them for that.

Same way they wanted to ruin Xiaomi with their plague mobile OS and I guess that's what is causing hate between them and Google, (if at all there's any) maybe they've asked Google to incorporate Android with their plague Windows Mobile and Google refused.

God punish Microsoft Windows Mobile division...

Guy, you dey vex ooo!

Before they could catch up with Android, a lot of work needs to be done. And while putting in work, Android is moving as fast as Flash.
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by Nsonaso(m): 8:19am On Feb 08, 2016
Flashh:

Guy, you dey vex ooo!

Before they could catch up with Android, a lot of work needs to be done. And while putting in work, Android is moving as fast as Flash.
Exactly my brother.... I don't know how people think, that Google will fold her hands and be watching Microsoft to got past them. Na winch?
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by Nsonaso(m): 8:50am On Feb 08, 2016
martineinstein:
this vr is a watered-down vr, made by Samsung and owned by Facebook.. The main vr are about to be launched next month.. Sony PlayStation vr, Facebook oculus and HTC vive after set to be launched next month, while Microsoft hololens( which is an AR) is to be unveiled in April

Well bro... Like I said earlier I don't know much about VR and AR but I did mention something about VR being used mostly for Games and Watching Videos something like Nintendo Wii....

And from your picture, what I see is someone playing games and the other watching Football or playing Football I don't know etc.

But the amazing part of all, is that there all used inside a room (indoors), and you say those gonna take over the smartphone and there are the future?
Then the future will be very bad cos when it gets to a point that you can only calls or do all those smartphone things inside a room, then we're domed

Imagine you're outside the house and your family is inside, and fire is burning the house and you need to call them out, so you will need to enter the same house that is burning to connect your VR to make the call

Or you had an accident on the road and you need to make calls for help, you will start looking shade...

To be frank bro... I don't see the future of smartphone going down soon instead I see it being improved, Same as Android OS
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by Nobody: 9:03am On Feb 08, 2016
martineinstein:

With the way things are going with Microsoft, I don't see them even getting close to android or iOS even in th4 next 6 years. Android and iOS are growing stronger while windows is regressing. Bro have u seen Microsoft's latest flagship phone? The lumia 950xl. Go to YouTube and check reviews, that phone is rubbish. Windows 10 mobile is plagued with lots of bugs. Apps fail to update, error codes, inconsistency everywhere, oh and don't forget the big icons. If Microsoft really meant business then they wouldn't release a half baked software and sell as a consumer product.

In the tablet section, they are not doing too well either. The surface pro is expensive, though very powerful tablet, but how many people can actually afford it. The good thing is some Chinese companies like teclast and cube are making tablet PC's with same specs as the surface pro at half the price. It might have a dent on android tablets, but I don't see it affecting the sale of iPads. People that use iPads use it mainly for media consumption. That is watch movies, play games, send and receive emails, face time, social network and browsing the internet. Nobody is interested in using the iPad for PowerPoint or excel or serious work, that is why most people that own an iPad also own a Mac or windows PC for the serious work. Tablets won't replace our computers, at least not yet. An iPad is a lot more lighter than a surface pro and that is why people pereger to carry it around for simple tasks, the surface pro is a full fledged pc, it is heavy and not practical to carry around. So if I'm going on a vacation and I need a tablet to watch movies with my family, do some social network and play games, take some random pictures and do face time with my son in school, I would rather pick an iPad than a chunky surface pro. But if I'm going for a bsuienss conference where I need to use my computer for some serious work, then I'll pick a surface pro. They both have their different target market.
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 08, 2016
martineinstein:

Umm.. This Google cardboard I'm holding in my hand is made by Google, and u say Google have no plans for vr? Actually the reason lots of people know about vr today is because of Google. Every other company were making vr exclusive, imagine Samsung selling the first gear vr for above $200, and oculus vr taking too long to be released. And then Google released their cardboard for $15 so everyone can have a feel of vr before they invest in some expensive headset. I for once wouldn't spend 40k on Samsung gear vr if I didn't first test the experience with the Google cardboard.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by martineinstein(m): 9:40am On Feb 08, 2016
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by martineinstein(m): 9:47am On Feb 08, 2016
Nsonaso:

Well bro... Like I said earlier I don't know much about VR and AR but I did mention something about VR being used mostly for Games and Watching Videos something like Nintendo Wii....

And from your picture, what I see is someone playing games and the other watching Football or playing Football I don't know etc.

But the amazing part of all, is that there all used inside a room (indoors), and you say those gonna take over the smartphone and there are the future?
Then the future will be very bad cos when it gets to a point that you can only calls or do all those smartphone things inside a room, then we're domed

Imagine you're outside the house and your family is inside, and fire is burning the house and you need to call them out, so you will need to enter the same house that is burning to connect your VR to make the call

Or you had an accident on the road and you need to make calls for help, you will start looking shade...

To be frank bro... I don't see the future of smartphone going down soon instead I see it being improved, Same as Android OS
smartphone is not the future. The industry is no longer growing; iPhone sales have plateaued, Android OEMs are losing money and sales are falling day after day.. Apple predicted the fall of iPhone sales next quarter....a full PC phone is the future
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by martineinstein(m): 10:21am On Feb 08, 2016
greenhulk:

With the way things are going with Microsoft, I don't see them even getting close to android or iOS even in th4 next 6 years. Android and iOS are growing stronger while windows is regressing. Bro have u seen Microsoft's latest flagship phone? The lumia 950xl. Go to YouTube and check reviews, that phone is rubbish. Windows 10 mobile is plagued with lots of bugs. Apps fail to update, error codes, inconsistency everywhere, oh and don't forget the big icons. If Microsoft really meant business then they wouldn't release a half baked software and sell as a consumer product.

In the tablet section, they are not doing too well either. The surface pro is expensive, though very powerful tablet, but how many people can actually afford it. The good thing is some Chinese companies like teclast and cube are making tablet PC's with same specs as the surface pro at half the price. It might have a dent on android tablets, but I don't see it affecting the sale of iPads. People that use iPads use it mainly for media consumption. That is watch movies, play games, send and receive emails, face time, social network and browsing the internet. Nobody is interested in using the iPad for PowerPoint or excel or serious work, that is why most people that own an iPad also own a Mac or windows PC for the serious work. Tablets won't replace our computers, at least not yet. An iPad is a lot more lighter than a surface pro and that is why people pereger to carry it around for simple tasks, the surface pro is a full fledged pc, it is heavy and not practical to carry around. So if I'm going on a vacation and I need a tablet to watch movies with my family, do some social network and play games, take some random pictures and do face time with my son in school, I would rather pick an iPad than a chunky surface pro. But if I'm going for a bsuienss conference where I need to use my computer for some serious work, then I'll pick a surface pro. They both have their different target market.
how is windows regressing? Windows 10 have. Over 200 million installations in 5 months.... Ipads and Android tablets sale and usage have fallen, while windows tablets grew. The world is returning to hybrid PC, which Google and Apple copied with their pixel c and iPad pro release. Samsung have dumped their high end Android tablet, galaxy note pro, to launch windows tablet.... The strategy Microsoft used have really affected the iPad and Android tablet growth. They realized that the tablet sector wasn't growing anymore and people no longer use their tablet, they then decided to release the surface tablets... The progress of surface stalled iPad and Android tablet progress. Windows tablets moved from 4 % to 10% in 2015. While Android fell from 60% to 52%. Samsung, Lenovo,dell,hp, etc just released their surface-like tablets.

Chinese tablets spec are no where near surface spec. They use atom processor, while surface uses core I series. Some of them come with 16 GB storage and 1 or 2 GB ram. Surface pros come with 4-16 GB ram and 128gb-1TB storage

Surface tablets, just like the MacBook and iPhones target the wealthy users.... Surface pro 3&4 are quite heavy, but the surface 3 is same size and weight with iPad.

as for the phone sector, Microsoft have already dumbed the Lumia brand to focus on surface phone
. The surface brand have matched MacBook and iPad brand. They are even more expensive than what Apple offers... Surface phone is rumored to come with full PC OS. The main target is to attack high end phones like iPhones and the galaxies.

Have u noticed that Apple devices now come with high specs unlike before?.... The competition from Microsoft is heating up

1 Like

Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by Nobody: 11:16am On Feb 08, 2016
martineinstein:
how is windows regressing? Windows 10 have. Over 200 million installations in 5 months.... Ipads and Android tablets sale and usage have fallen, while windows tablets grew. The world is returning to hybrid PC, which Google and Apple copied with their pixel c and iPad pro release. Samsung have dumped their high end Android tablet, galaxy note pro, to launch windows tablet.... The strategy Microsoft used have really affected the iPad and Android tablet growth. They realized that the tablet sector wasn't growing anymore and people no longer use their tablet, they then decided to release the surface tablets... The progress of surface stalled iPad and Android tablet progress. Windows tablets moved from 4 % to 10% in 2015. While Android fell from 60% to 52%. Samsung, Lenovo,dell,hp, etc just released their surface-like tablets.

Chinese tablets spec are no where near surface spec. They use atom processor, while surface uses core I series. Some of them come with 16 GB storage and 1 or 2 GB ram. Surface pros come with 4-16 GB ram and 128gb-1TB storage

Surface tablets, just like the MacBook and iPhones target the wealthy users.... Surface pro 3&4 are quite heavy, but the surface 3 is same size and weight with iPad.

as for the phone sector, Microsoft have already dumbed the Lumia brand to focus on surface phone
. The surface brand have matched MacBook and iPad brand. They are even more expensive than what Apple offers... Surface phone is rumored to come with full PC OS. The main target is to attack high end phones like iPhones and the galaxies.

Have u noticed that Apple devices now come with high specs unlike before?.... The competition from Microsoft is heating up

1. Seriously did u expect anything less? I mean majority of computers in the world run on windows, so yes u don't expect anything less than 200 million windows 10 download in 5 months especially when windows 8 was not so user friendly. There are 2 major os for computers, Mac and Windows. Mac is only found in apple computers and all are premium and expensive. The cheapest apple computer is sold for $1,100 while u can get a windows computer for as low as $150. So tell me between windows and Mac which do u expect to have more usage? Macs are not for everyone while windows are for everyone. A windows computer can be as cheap as $150 and can be as expensive as $5,000.

When u come to mobile phones it is a completely different ball game, or do u think apple are fools not to put Mac on their iphones? While Microsoft are busy trying to make their mobile os look like a computer, they are forgetting that mobile phones are mobile , they should be easy to use while being user friendly. Nobody is going to use a mobile phone to create an office document. Microsoft should stop making their windows phone look like a pc. Look at Android and ios, that is how a mobile phone should work. Sleek, beautiful, fast, user friendly, light weight. Imagine it took Microsoft one and half years to come with a windows flagship since Nokia lumia 930. And what did they come out with, lumia 950 and 950xl running Windows 10 mobile. The OS is plagued with lots of bugs, buyers were complaining even Microsoft couldn't deny they released a half baked os. On too of that the hardware is nothing to write home about. Seriously if they want to even get close to Android and ios they should release something better than this. Can u eveon compare the lumia 950 released in November 2015 with Samsung Galaxy s6 edge released in April, or nexus 6p or every other Android power house.

The tablet market is where Microsoft can get marketshare because really that's where they are good at... PC's. But a pc is way different from a cell phone. People are beginning to see the need of carrying a more productive tablet then an iPad or an Android tablet, but hey Android and ios are mobile os while windows 10 is a full blown pc. Without the right hardware, a windows 10 tablet will not perform, to get the right hardware the tablet will have to get some weight added. I am not denying Microsoft are gaining market in the tablet industry.

2. There are some Chinese windows 10 tablets with 8gb of RAM and 64gb if internal storage with qhd screens and are sold for less than $400. A good example is teclast x16 power. U can google it urself, it gives a surface pro a run for its money with only one their the price of a surface. These Chinese tablets are definitely going to steal the surface market share in no time.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by Nobody: 11:30am On Feb 08, 2016
martineinstein:

Releasing a mobile phone with full PC OS will be the greatest mistake microsoft will make. They have done it before and failed, remember windows mobile? Then they decided to tone it down with windows phone 7 but still failed. They came out with windows phone 8, then 8.1 and still FAILED. They went back for almost 2 years to release windows 10 mobile and will still FAIL. It will become even worse if they try to release a phone with a full windows OS. I mean they struggle to make devices with toned down windows work, how do u think they would do with a full windows mobile phone? I smell lots of bugs, freezing, hanging and long boot periods.

Microsoft should create an entirely new OS for their mobile sector and stop trying to integrate windows with their phones, it ain't working. This is why Apple created IOS instead of putting mac into their iphones. Mobiles phones are meant to be fast and not chunky like a full blown OS.
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by martineinstein(m): 12:17pm On Feb 08, 2016
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by zzzzy: 6:41pm On Feb 08, 2016
greenhulk:

Releasing a mobile phone with full PC OS will be the greatest mistake microsoft will make. They have done it before and failed, remember windows mobile? Then they decided to tone it down with windows phone 7 but still failed. They came out with windows phone 8, then 8.1 and still FAILED. They went back for almost 2 years to release windows 10 mobile and will still FAIL. It will become even worse if they try to release a phone with a full windows OS. I mean they struggle to make devices with toned down windows work, how do u think they would do with a full windows mobile phone? I smell lots of bugs, freezing, hanging and long boot periods.

Microsoft should create an entirely new OS for their mobile sector and stop trying to integrate windows with their phones, it ain't working. This is why Apple created IOS instead of putting mac into their iphones. Mobiles phones are meant to be fast and not chunky like a full blown OS.

nah, you are wrong, Microsoft have never released a phone with full pc os
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by zzzzy: 6:42pm On Feb 08, 2016
martineinstein:

hololens is really revolutionary. They are using software to replace hardware.
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by martineinstein(m): 6:55pm On Feb 08, 2016
zzzzy:
hololens is really revolutionary. They are using software to replace hardware.
their plan is to eliminate screens like tv
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by zzzzy: 6:57pm On Feb 08, 2016
greenhulk:

2. There are some Chinese windows 10 tablets with 8gb of RAM and 64gb if internal storage with qhd screens and are sold for less than $400. A good example is teclast x16 power. U can google it urself, it gives a surface pro a run for its money with only one their the price of a surface. These Chinese tablets are definitely going to steal the surface market share in no time.
seriously you think that will give the surface pro a run for their money? No way.
Re: Microsoft Buys Swiftkey For $250 Million by Nobody: 7:33pm On Feb 08, 2016
zzzzy:
nah, you are wrong, Microsoft have never released a phone with full pc os

I'm not the one that said they will release a full pc OS phone. Windows mobile was almost like a full PC and it worked in its time (sort of) with lots of bugs. Iphone and Android killed it. If Microsoft cannot get i right on a stripped version of windows found on their phones, do u think they will get it right when they put a full OS on a phone? No. I think they are going to mess it up morre than it already is. The standard for mobile phones theses days ius between 5.5-6 inches. Anything above 6 inches is no longer a phone. I don't see how u can have a full blown PC os on a mobile phone. The icons will be too small and what can u really do with a full blown PC on a phone? Microsoft office? Photo editing? Video editing? lol. Mobile phones are good for making and receiving calls, surfing the internet, social network, taking pictures and videos, gaming, listening to music, viewing office documents, and other light stuff. These things are already seemlessly possible with mobile OS like android and IOS, so i see no reason to put a full OS on a phone.When u have a full OS on a phone then whast the use of having a tablet PC?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Get The Phone Number Of The Person That Stole Your Recharge Card? / How To Get 30GB Data For Free On 9mobile (no Charges no cheat) / Flooding, Insecurity Cause Of MTN's Poor Network Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.