Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

Musical Preparation Techniques!!! - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Musical Preparation Techniques!!! (588 Views)

Oliver De Coque (1947-2008): The Exit Of A Musical Toxic Waste / Learn Music Production, Musical Instruments, Voice Training Etc. / Upcoming Hip Hop Producer Musical Instruments Budget, How Am I Gonna Fund It ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Musical Preparation Techniques!!! by Nobody: 4:52am On Feb 03, 2016
MUSICAL PREPARATION
(very long but interesting. I guess)
After preparing spiritually as we have seen and learnt, you should prepare musically.
Remember music is a tool of worship. A platform and instrument to express love and worship to God - a very powerful tool for that matter.

So speaking generally, if it's a tool, there must be skill required to utilize it properly. Sure you won't fly a plane after someone announces from the cock pit that he is a plumber who happens to be standing in for the pilot who is not available. Hoping he can figure how and manage to fly it for the very first time. Would you?
While some believe that all you need in music ministry is the anointing and a right heart as a psalmist, I believe that in addition to those very important things, you should possess some level of competence to properly communicate musically as a MUSIC MINISTER. Remember that music is a language.

" Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise."
Psalm 33:3
"...I have seen a son of Jesse, the bethlehemite, who is skillful in playing..."
1 Samuel 16:18
When it comes to skill, you don't get that just by the laying on of hands. You acquire that by PRACTICE. The laying on of hands, if needed, may impart to your grace to engage your instrument. But to expect it would directly transfer to you competence, is to be unrealistic. And here is the thing, if you are the type that insist all you need is the anointing, you may minister to a certain extent, only that your music ministry may not fully express her full potential. I always say that God loves you so much to open some doors for you to go disgrace yourself. So sometimes, he keeps them closed until your have developed the requisite skill and character to operate at those levels.

And by practice, I mean, doing so smartly and intelligently because It is possible to practice long hours, but without a sense of direction and focus. And this was my situation for years. I always wished for when I would play the trumpet better, with cleaner and higher octaves, speed, better chops, tone and intonation cum articulation. But I spent time doing so without the requisite knowledge. But as I began to research, read and learn from others, I found easier and better ways of doing what I'd always done.
And you see, something that helps you do work easier and better is called a machine. And guess what? TECHNIQUE is your machine in music.

A technique according to the Webster dictionary is : "a way of doing something by using special knowledge or skill. The way that a person performs basic physical movements or skills"
And something I found about developing a technique was that it involves doing some simple, and sometimes weird, but effective, tasks over and over again. I began to discover how breathing exercises impacted greatly on trumpet playing - Physical exercises and warm ups, to develop my lips and embouchure. Simple patterns to enhance my tone, endurance and strength, etc.

So for instance, if you are a singer, there are exercises to develop your breathing. And hope you know that breathing is to singing what fuel is to driving. Simple and daily routines which can bring about so much changes.

The things that bring about big changes in life are simple tasks. Imagine that to power up a whole building, you have to just press a little switch, and bang ! Light shows up. So as a guitar man, drummer, keyboard player, sax or trumpet player, there are better ways of doing what you do. Find them.

Now more specifically before you go to minister, after you have searched and prepared your heart, prayed and perhaps fasted, you should have a mental idea of what you intend to do. I learn to conquer things musically in my mind FIRST. I think the process through.

Then go over the tunes or songs; alone, or with a band. If you are a singer, warm up your voice by doing some simple routines and singing to exercise your vocal muscles and chords. Then test and choose your keys ahead of time. Don't wait till you get on stage to start singing, only to realize some part of the song is too high. You see, some people in church are quite musical. And a moment of musical glitch or indiscretion can distract them in worship or a presentation.

If you are a musician, please warm up too, and tune your instruments. Very few things distract like instruments that are not in tune. Especially string instruments, and perhaps horns instruments. No matter the musical rhetoric you utter, doing so out of tune spoils the music. Practice your scales, modes and arpeggios. Make patterns and exercises from them, practicing on different keys and ways. Then begin infusing them properly in real musical situations. The more you speak this language, the more it becomes a part of you. Score songs, solos and musical standards.

And as a group band or choir, you should work out and plan the various segments of your presentation ahead. I'm blessed to have a very competent set of musicians and singers. And because we have played together for sometime now, and can relate musically well, it's much easier to get things going, and many times times work on spontaneous arrangements even while on stage. A solid rhythm session is key to achievement a great sound in worship. For me, a good keyboard player with great understanding of chords and harmonies is not an option. As well as a bass guitar and drummer who can play in sync and in tandem.

Personally, it is very important to allow for some flexibility even after practice or rehearsals. I tell my people, " guys, let's just have this plan, but they could all change when we get up there." And this is because sometimes you get into a service, and there is already an existing great flow of worship. And breaking that flow to re-establish a new one can do more harm than good. So instead we just build on what has been laid as the spirit leads. But this is only possible with musicians and singers who have been trained and prepared to handle such scenarios , or else, it can very easily become a mess leaving your script.

Also, as much as it lies within your power, have a sound check. In this part of the world, I have discovered sound checks don't really work. Because many times, what was done during sound check is not what you find during the event. And one wonders what the sound check was for in the very first place. That said, when and if possible, it is good practice to have a feel of the system and location prior to ministering. And if in an unfamiliar terrain, get aquatinted with the gears and instruments available at your disposal.

Finally, try and get some rest before you minister. Drink some liquids and rest your mind. We would highlight this more when we discuss PSYCHOLOGICAL PREPARATION.
God bless you.

(1) (Reply)

Dynamic Stereo Headphones Sale At Micostar Mall / Music Lovers, Mind Sharing Your Playlists? Probably In Screenshots!!! / VIDEO: Banky W X Stonebwoy X Shaydee – Mi Re Do (cocoloso)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.