Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,195 members, 7,953,704 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:03 AM

Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? (37487 Views)

Poll: Are Examinations True Test Of Knowledge?

Yes: 33% (23 votes)
No: 60% (42 votes)
Others: 5% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Examination Is A True Test Of One's Ability / Is Examination Really The True Test Of Knowledge? / Exams Is Not The True Test Of Knowledge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by GoldCircle: 5:20pm On Jul 02, 2009
@poster,
Unfortunately they are not! But you got to pass 'em to prove that you are worth your salt!

Dats how it is! No guts, no glory!
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by ElRazur: 5:30pm On Jul 02, 2009
Nope it aint. It is a test of what one is[i] expected[/i] to know. It is not a true snap shot of intelligence either.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jul 02, 2009
OMO IBO:

LMAO
i knew someone was going to pick this up.
yes i did fail but at modules i really didnt care about but that is not the point.

in lay man's terms we are individually gifted and talented.
sagamite referred to Bill Gates as a pile of poo in terms of fashion but give him computers and/or anything IT related . . . . . . . .

Will Smith was admitted to University but chose to turn it down.

Sir Alan Sugar knows nothing about education and exams. He only cares about your 'know how'

The list goes on and on. . . . . .

In my place its called 'Nkasi obi'!! cheesy tongue
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 02, 2009
Examination does not only test your knowledge, but it also tests your  timing skills.

How fast you're able to think within an amnt of time.
Your weakness and strength in that particular area.

I mean, a writing exam does necessarily mean you know this or you know that, but how fast you're able to think and approach the subject within a given length of time.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by mamagee3(f): 5:56pm On Jul 02, 2009
Have you invented a new way of testing knowledge?
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by switch47(m): 6:15pm On Jul 02, 2009
EXAMINATION IS A TEST OF KNOWLEGDE!! IT is not a true or perfect test, It is a perfect test of how good you are at answering the kind of questions asked in the examination, following certain rules and in certain format which may increase or decrease your scores DEPENDING ON HOW GOOD YOU ARE ABLE TO GRASP THE TECHNICALITIES consequently if MR A knows better than you but his presentation and grasp of the exam technicality isnt as good as your your grades may end up being better than his. NUFF SAID!! Examination is a true test of your knowledge at handling exam questions . not a true test of what is in your coconut head but then there are different types of examinations which includes oral tests------------------------questions is ould my answer be different on the different forms of exam? yes!! depending on the knowledge the examiner is testing.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 02, 2009
Everybody saying nigerians are good at cheating, needs to see my classmates, their cheating is way high up there,
And exam as a true test of kneledge, I'd say sometime it is and sometimes it is not.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Secretz(f): 6:54pm On Jul 02, 2009
Well, I think examinations are more like a test of memory. . . . the things you remember from class, tutorials, text books and lectures etc. undecided
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by eldee(m): 7:43pm On Jul 02, 2009
A-town:

You are soooo off on this one.
JAMB does not have to be more than one afternoon because we have exams that test your ability over several years. . . . It is called WAEC.
Your admission is contingent upon passing WAEC and Jamb.
What is the difference between the system in the US and Nigeria? They have SAT (which is one day) and high school. Nigeria has Jamb(one day) and WAEC(involves your ss1-3 average and standardised tests on ssce days). You've got no point here.
Try something else

I knew sumone was going to bring that up . . .

How does WAEC use an SS1-3 average??
Are you being serious or are did your principal just feed you with bullshit??

The difference between the US and Nigerian systems??
The US system counts all the coursework, practicals, presentation and even extracurricular activities all through your high school years, the NIgerian system uses WAEC and with the UME alone, two snapshots to determne one of the most important decisions a man will ever make in his life.

If that sounds right to you, then I'll have to ask what university you graduated from.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by xbernardx(m): 7:48pm On Jul 02, 2009
well am a student of FUT MINNA and for my school i'll jus say for how far i have gone they are really after your speed and acuracy.they'll give u plenty questions with little time, by the way what is knowledge, hope no one thinks its what you read, i belive its what i can do perfectly with complete understanding. exam no be true test booh
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Affalatus: 7:53pm On Jul 02, 2009
Knowledge is too vast to be tested on a piece of paper.

Innovation and Creativity only show themselves in the field of practice.

Examinations test the use of plain logic in the problem solving equation.

Examinations cannot test in-built talent.

Would Michael Jackson had passed a written music test?

If Einstein had being tested on his unproven theories that guided the way for nano-physics and quantum-physics neither the examiner nor him

would have been able to give a semblance of plain logic for the rest of mankind to understand.

So written examinations only hint at the presence or lack thereof of a well recognised society accepted form of Logic that ties into our fragile reality

until the next great mind shatters it and forces the world to rethink once again.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Owugal(f): 7:54pm On Jul 02, 2009
Most definately not. They are not. but since we are people and not the creator of other people, and cant go into their heads etc.
we can never know the truest test of knowledge unless your name is solomon and you have 700 physically present wives, 300 concubines and your father was David and married to bearsheba and Your name is written in the bible as the wisest man in the world.
then we will know that God has said you are wise
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Affalatus: 7:56pm On Jul 02, 2009
Examinations also test memory, writing skills, numerical analysis, pictographic logic and other forms of logical reasoning.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by mrjustice(m): 8:30pm On Jul 02, 2009
those people posing this exams like U M E i don't blame them because they did not use jamb during there time in fact some of them did not even pass through those stress of the the up coming once. look there hends

Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by davidif: 9:18pm On Jul 02, 2009
Nope, it's just used in Nigeria because it's clearcut and easy to analyse.
The U.M.E is a big flop . . . a snapshot is not what w need to get people into Uni.
And we're here wondering why graduates are half baked
Exams only test your ability to pass exams . . . c'est fini.

@eldee
My friend once said that if examination is not a true test of knowledge then give us something else. The last time i checked, nobody has seemed to discover one.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by kingbru(m): 9:20pm On Jul 02, 2009
IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHICH SIDE OF THE EXAM YOU ARE,
IF YOU PASS, THEN IT IS A TRUE TEST OF KNOWLEDGE,
BUT WHEN YOU FAIL, YOU SAY ITS NOT.
DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 02, 2009
Ujujoan:

In my place its called 'Nkasi obi'!! cheesy tongue
LOL
i like the way you dey hint say i get isi okpukpu.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Kelvinj(m): 9:25pm On Jul 02, 2009
@mr justice
dnt mind ppl comparing jamb and sat. D question is, 'is exam tru txt of knowledge' nt is sat better than jamb.
What i can say is yeah. No mata hw corrupt d system it's still d only way. But failn an exam doesnt mean d person takn d exam is a failure bt dat d person is nt yet qualified 4 d higher.
Talk abt ppl dat carry chips in2 d hall. Do u agree wit me dat if ur nt intelligent u cant u d chips u ar carryin d hall.
Datz by d way, so wat am sayn is dat examination is stil d ans.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by oyinda3(f): 9:33pm On Jul 02, 2009
FL Gators:

Examination does not only test your knowledge, but it also tests your timing skills.

How fast you're able to think within an amnt of time.
Your weakness and strength in that particular area.

I mean, a writing exam does necessarily mean you know this or you know that, but how fast you're able to think and approach the subject within a given length of time.

i totally agree.
especially essays they test how well u kno how to bullshit

in general though, examinations are just a rather effective and more convenient test of knowledge.
certainly not the best but better than others i guess in their convenience for the grader.

and yes some people have better test taking skills than others tho
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by bawomolo(m): 9:41pm On Jul 02, 2009
Comparing JAMB with SAT or GRE is like comparing rusted zinc (JAMB) with titanium (SAT/GRE).

real talk brother. the quality control in the SAT or GRE is much better
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by oyinda3(f): 9:44pm On Jul 02, 2009
SAT is far from quality why is it being compared to titanium
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by DoubleN(m): 9:46pm On Jul 02, 2009
Well Exam is not a True Test of knowledge definitely but under the right conditions i.e The right materials,Experienced and seasoned Lecturers and the right study environment i can say it is an effective way to test Intelligence!
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by AyoB(f): 9:55pm On Jul 02, 2009
if u ve ever written an exam wich u knw u shud ve done beta but somtin somtin, u did not,
u will knw its nt a fair test of knwoledge. y r we still sticklers for it anywayz?! embarassed
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Onyema1(m): 9:58pm On Jul 02, 2009
Hello people are we talking about examination as true "text" of knowledge or examination as true "test" of knowledge?

The poster used the word "text" and most respondents kept repeating the same thing.  Please, please, please this kind of grammatical errors are not acceptable at all from person i assume are graduates.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by bawomolo(m): 10:05pm On Jul 02, 2009
oyinda.:

SAT is far from quality why is it being compared to titanium

do you think jamb is better than the sat or act?
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by sley4life(m): 10:06pm On Jul 02, 2009
Yes but not in all case
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Sauron1: 10:14pm On Jul 02, 2009
bawomolo:

I have written many exams but JAMB's UME was the trickiest. . . . .
Gosh. . . . .It was a THRILL.
SAT, GMAT, GRE are shyte compared to UME.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by oyinda3(f): 10:40pm On Jul 02, 2009
bawomolo:

i'm guessing JAMB and GRE are naija university entry exams
not saying they're better. but for them to be worse than sat, they must be really bad. because sat itself is not that great
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by init4dmoni(m): 10:49pm On Jul 02, 2009
no!! they are not. . . . . .at least not in nigeria
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by RichyBlacK(m): 10:51pm On Jul 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

JAMB exams are marked with wrong answers.

The bureaucrats get excellent questions from teachers/professors in the respective fields, however, like most things Nigerian, they bungle up all the answers and grade the exam with wrong answers. If you doubt this, we can easily conduct an experiment to show this.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Sauron1: 10:55pm On Jul 02, 2009
RichyBlacK:

JAMB exams are marked with wrong answers.

The bureaucrats get excellent questions from teachers/professors in the respective fields, however, like most things Nigerian, they bungle up all the answers and grade the exam with wrong answers. If you doubt this, we can easily conduct an experiment to show this.

Marked with wrong answers? I beg to differ.

I have written many exams in this WORLD but the UME exam i wrote had to be the most thrilling.
The fear of negative marking coupled with the short time one is expected to complete it are just nerve-wrecking.
It is by far the hardest exam i have taken, the atmosphere was electrifying.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by MrCrackles(m): 10:55pm On Jul 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

I said it. . . . You are old as fuc.k!
Written all the exams in the world shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Well done daddy!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2 MOUAU Students Found Dead In Their Room In Abia / Young Boy With An Insane Math Skills Shocks Everyone (Video) / Anambra Varsity Gets New Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.