Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,149 members, 7,849,577 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:00 AM

Advice Needed On Quitting Phd Program In The US - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice Needed On Quitting Phd Program In The US (697 Views)

Federal Government Feeding Program in Kano State (Photos) / ... / Advice Needed On Quitting Phd Program In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed On Quitting Phd Program In The US by ayobamigbe: 9:49pm On Feb 04, 2016
Hello, people. What do you recommend to someone who is doing phd in the US and teaching undergraduates at the same time but is not enjoying it. What are the viable options for quitting the program. I will appreciate your honest and helpful advice from people who have or are running a PhD program in the US. Please, no insults or sarcasm. Thanks.
Re: Advice Needed On Quitting Phd Program In The US by bigtt76(f): 10:06pm On Feb 04, 2016
What part of it don't you enjoy? The lecturing part or the studying part?

Are you doing a PhD in the course you're lecturing in or something different?

Are you on scholarship or self funded?

What were your expected goals that prompted you into doing the PhD?

What would you rather do paraventure you ended up quitting?

Bear in mind that Winners don't quit..... Losers do! You're not a loser dear.... There's light at the end of the tunnel and the successful path in life is not the smoothest. The test of steel is in the fire that heats it.

All the best.

ayobamigbe:
Hello, people. What do you recommend to someone who is doing phd in the US and teaching undergraduates at the same time but is not enjoying it. What are the viable options for quitting the program. I will appreciate your honest and helpful advice from people who have or are running a PhD program in the US. Please, no insults or sarcasm. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed On Quitting Phd Program In The US by ayobamigbe: 5:37am On Feb 05, 2016
bigtt76:
What part of it don't you enjoy? The lecturing part or the studying part?

Are you doing a PhD in the course you're lecturing in or something different?

Are you on scholarship or self funded?

What were your expected goals that prompted you into doing the PhD?

What would you rather do paraventure you ended up quitting?

Bear in mind that Winners don't quit..... Losers do! You're not a loser dear.... There's light at the end of the tunnel and the successful path in life is not the smoothest. The test of steel is in the fire that heats it.

All the best.

Thank you very much for your response. The experience feels traumatic and I question if this is what I want to do long term. I love to work with young people but with having to adjust to the accent, amidst other factors, I just feel unspeakably dumb or stupid. It's almost as if I cannot speak English again! It's very discouraging.
Re: Advice Needed On Quitting Phd Program In The US by bigtt76(f): 5:51am On Feb 05, 2016
Hmmm I understand the feeling. You just need to be you. That has always been the problem with our people, they feel having a white man's accent is the way to go.

No it's not. Speak and they will learn to understand you. When they come here, they don't learn to speak like us, rather we learn to understand them.

I don't know the other factors though but I also know that no factor is too complex for God.

ayobamigbe:

Thank you very much for your response. The experience feels traumatic and I question if this is what I want to do long term. I love to work with young people but with having to adjust to the accent, amidst other factors, I just feel unspeakably dumb or stupid. It's almost as if I cannot speak English again! It's very discouraging.
Re: Advice Needed On Quitting Phd Program In The US by ayobamigbe: 8:20pm On Feb 05, 2016
bigtt76:
Hmmm I understand the feeling. You just need to be you. That has always been the problem with our people, they feel having a white man's accent is the way to go.

No it's not. Speak and they will learn to understand you. When they come here, they don't learn to speak like us, rather we learn to understand them.

I don't know the other factors though but I also know that no factor is too complex for God.

Thank you for your kind and inspiring words. I was at a low point, feeling inundated with my own work and research (which I have learnt to handle) and also having to deal with teaching issues, which weren't so bad at first but all of a sudden, I started to feel incapable in my mounting teaching tasks. I will keep going, believing that God will help me, as you advised. May you find comfort and aid in your time of need. Thank you so much.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed On Quitting Phd Program In The US by bigtt76(f): 10:37pm On Feb 05, 2016
Amen and God bless us all.

I'm also at a point where I feel so unfulfilled and lacking ideas or motivation to move forward in my career but I believe in God to order my step.

I believe He can do exceedingly, abundantly above all you can think of.

Don't ever give up on God becos He won't give up on you!

ayobamigbe:

Thank you for your kind and inspiring words. I was at a low point, feeling inundated with my own work and research (which I have learnt to handle) and also having to deal with teaching issues, which weren't so bad at first but all of a sudden, I started to feel incapable in my mounting teaching tasks. I will keep going, believing that God will help me, as you advised. May you find comfort and aid in your time of need. Thank you so much.

(1) (Reply)

= / Can You Solve This Simple Mathematics? / 2016 List Of Uni,poly And College Of Education That Has Released Post Utme Form.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.