Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,928 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. (12846 Views)

Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects / "Please, Stop Opening Bottles With Your Teeth" / Lagos Hospital Allowed Baby To Die, Dumps Corpse Near Waste Bin - Family Member (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by Psalm18: 2:27pm On Feb 06, 2016
banmee:

You have a better chance of gummy bears falling from the sky than for Nigerians to be waste conscious. Nigerians are naturally dirty people and Nigeria as a county is among the dirtiest in the world.
We must not give to despair but continue to all play our parts.

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by somez(m): 2:30pm On Feb 06, 2016
Ok, on a much serious not, i think the gov has tried but not enough in seeing that the public has enough waste bins to fight waste loitering around. Secondly, most individual are not adequately enlightened on the proper technique to store waste. D==W=9
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by poseidon12: 2:32pm On Feb 06, 2016
banmee:

You have a better chance of gummy bears falling from the sky than for Nigerians to be waste conscious. Nigerians are naturally dirty people and Nigeria as a county is among the dirtiest in the world.

I agree. The government needs to live up to its responsibility by instituting appropriate fines for littering.

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by Vince77(m): 2:33pm On Feb 06, 2016
vosquare:
grin grin
Same with me. No time.
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by Nobody: 2:36pm On Feb 06, 2016
Why are some people saying loiter? It is litter. OP I agree with you though we need more waste bins around.

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by truthspeaks: 2:39pm On Feb 06, 2016
Wen I told sum1 dat Nigerians nid 'iron hand' for dem 2 imbibe a gud attitude, d person nearly chop my head off. But it's d bitter truth. Nigerians are as bad as their leaders n wld always luk 4 sum1 2 blame for our bad actions. Weldone Op
David0:
Hello Nairalanders.

Something happened today on my way from the office that really got me sad with the way some of us consciously loiter our environment without thinking twice.

Everyday we see the Lagos State cleaners doing their routine cleaning but by close of business the whole place is messed up.

This goes to show that, despite government playing their part in keeping the environment clean, a lot of us don't support the government, we probably do so in our words but not in action.

On my way from the office today, I was inside Marwa wt dis lady who was eating whatever, but as soon as she's done, she threw the nylon on the road. I had to caution her, that it would have been better she threw it inside the Marwa or better still keep it, when she sees a waste been, throw it there, rather than on the road.

This behavior, I've come across so many times, and on each occasion I had to correct whoever is involved.

This is really not nice, especially considering the elderly women doing the cleaning on the road. After all the wahala with peanut salary, we still go ahead to loiter the place like babies that needs to be corrected.

Let our conscience judge us in whatever we do. Let's have it in mind that government's effort in making the state conducive and clean for us, will continue to be just an effort if we don't support them in our own little way.

Let us also ensure we correct if not embarrass whoever we see loitering the environment, especially those who throw things from the vehicle.

Government should also make it a law prohibiting such behavior.

Stay Clean!

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by banmee(m): 2:39pm On Feb 06, 2016
Psalm18:

We must not give to despair but continue to all play our parts.

One of the major problems in Nigeria apart from leadership, is they don't know how to implement and enforce policy. For some reason, the principle escapes them. Steps to effective policy;

1. Identify the problem

2. Identify a solution.

3. Create a plan of action.

4. Inform and educate personnel and leaders responsible for enforcing the plan of action.

5. Inform and educate personnel and leaders responsible for enforcing the plan of action.(This is very important)

6. Educate and inform the citizens about the policy.

7. Educate and inform the citizens about the policy.

8. Educate and inform the citizens about the policy.(This is very important)

9. Enforce the policy.

10. Continuously audit the personnel enforcing the policy.

As simple as ABC.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by opey112(m): 2:42pm On Feb 06, 2016
Whenever I have a nylon or paper in my hand I put it in my hand till I see a waste bin...or I drop it inside the bus.

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by docmoses(m): 2:44pm On Feb 06, 2016
I'm happy to be a year older today, please join me to celebrate!! (gifts are allowed too )
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by TRUCKPLACE: 2:46pm On Feb 06, 2016
Mobile court has been instituted to deal with environmental offenders...cant wait to see them in action.
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by mccoy47(m): 2:55pm On Feb 06, 2016
BrownCookie:
I am guilty of that cry

What! angry
See me in my office! You deserve spanking grin
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by udemzyudex(m): 3:13pm On Feb 06, 2016
I know it's a bad habit but what have government done to eradicate this habit?

I remember, I use to keep the nylon of galla or any snacks in bag after eating because there is no waste bin on the road to throw it away, since I got tired of keeping it in my bag, I join them.

Government will do road yet no waste bin, public toilet or where to pee will be put in place.

They should first of all put all this things in place, just like the way they employ people to clean the road, people should be employed to monitor the toilet where they are kept.

After that, awareness follows.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by sinola(m): 3:20pm On Feb 06, 2016
David0:
Hello Nairalanders.

Something happened today on my way from the office that really got me sad with the way some of us consciously loiter our environment without thinking twice.

Everyday we see the Lagos State cleaners doing their routine cleaning but by close of business the whole place is messed up.

This goes to show that, despite government playing their part in keeping the environment clean, a lot of us don't support the government, we probably do so in our words but not in action.

On my way from the office today, I was inside Marwa wt dis lady who was eating whatever, but as soon as she's done, she threw the nylon on the road. I had to caution her, that it would have been better she threw it inside the Marwa or better still keep it, when she sees a waste been, throw it there, rather than on the road.

This behavior, I've come across so many times, and on each occasion I had to correct whoever is involved.

This is really not nice, especially considering the elderly women doing the cleaning on the road. After all the wahala with peanut salary, we still go ahead to loiter the place like babies that needs to be corrected.

Let our conscience judge us in whatever we do. Let's have it in mind that government's effort in making the state conducive and clean for us, will continue to be just an effort if we don't support them in our own little way.

Let us also ensure we correct if not embarrass whoever we see loitering the environment, especially those who throw things from the vehicle.

Government should also make it a law prohibiting such behavior.

Stay Clean!

truth be told,if there is no waste out there,those elderly women you referred to will not have any job to do.
I am not supporting the act but there is no perfect system anywhere in the world.
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by Ibrahim405(m): 3:47pm On Feb 06, 2016
Please lets join our hands together and clean our envikeept clean...in dettol'S voice "if we don't keep our self clean,WHO WILL?" #Don't be a litterbug.
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by David0(m): 3:49pm On Feb 06, 2016
sinola:

truth be told,if there is no waste out there,those elderly women you referred to will not have any job to do.
I am not supporting the act but there is no perfect system anywhere in the world.

U r not supporting the act but ur comment says otherwise.

And what makes you thing there will be no cleaning job if ppl stop this act.

The fact thrs no perfect system, does not mean we shud deliberately destroy ours.

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by obyikye(f): 4:04pm On Feb 06, 2016
I became an enemy to my neighbor because of this singular act. She dumps waste in a gutter closer to our shops, I corrected her and she took offence and stopped talking to me.
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by Femich18(m): 4:35pm On Feb 06, 2016
obyikye:
I became an enemy to my neighbor because of this singular act. She dumps waste in a gutter closer to our shops, I corrected her and she took offence and stopped talking to me.
Can you imagine that. She must be a pig
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by Exponental(m): 4:37pm On Feb 06, 2016
@Op..... this is not about pitying the women doing the work. It is a big risk to them too. Imagine a vehicle on speed, on seeing a dirt thrown out of another vehicle swerves and loses control hitting pedestrians, other vehicles or the vehicle with the 'dirt thrower' causing loss of life. Is it worth losing a life because of an unhygienic attitude of someone?
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by ferhyntorlah(f): 4:46pm On Feb 06, 2016
NaLaugh:
I think the Nigerian government should institute a strict littering fine.

Humans, particularly Nigerians only respond to such measures.

True that. An average Nigerian is stubborn. So introducing such will make them sit tight.

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by KanoAbiaBabe(f): 4:47pm On Feb 06, 2016
If such law take effect It will be a very good development,but such law can never be effective in our great city of kano because throwing dirt on the road is part of the life styles of kano citizens. Even the government is guilty of it.
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by ferhyntorlah(f): 4:49pm On Feb 06, 2016
whirlwind7:
Littering has become a part of most of us. We do it without even thinking.

You know, there are times when you gently correct someone who litters, and they glare at you like you just insulted them. Some will ask you what makes it your business.
I was vindicated on a certain day, while in a public bus, this man beside me was hungrily munching on roasted corn. Soon as he's done, he threw the corn cob along with the paper it was wrapped in, and the nylon bag out the bus window. We were moving, and I admonished him that what he just did was wrong.

He vented his rage on me. Telling me to mind my own business. He queried if the road belonged to me, or if I'm the one who pays the road sweepers. I just shook my head and kept quiet. At the next stop, the bus waited to pick up passengers. Next thing that happened is a police van pulled over. The angry cops asked who threw out something from the bus. They were spoiling for a showdown, from their very hostile approach. The offender was pointed out and they whisked him away.

We later got to learn that the corn cob that the man threw from the bus hit the police van that was coming behind us. Talk about instant karma!

Sharp sharp karma! I like this instant judgement.
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by ferhyntorlah(f): 4:53pm On Feb 06, 2016
Caracta:
Nice one OP.

There was a time in Lagos you could get arrested for throwing thrash on the floor. Even if you did that from a car, they would stop your car and arrest you.

We need such approach.

Since the government is looking for avenues to generate revenue, let them enact laws to curb this menace so people can sit tight!

Nigerians and by force obedience!
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by Jacko1(m): 5:03pm On Feb 06, 2016
Op you get time oh.... Beta time.... No try dat one wif me i wont ansa u lubbish..... Tellin som1 to pick dirt i hav thrown lubbish. The point is that we all do it evry 9ja person does it.... Unless govt does somein bout it forget it... Ok u stop her how bout d oda ppl throwing 300 dirts per second..... Wat significance has ur busybody made. Sha keep at it... Ul meet werey person who wil giv it to u... I trust lagosians
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by iykekelvins(m): 5:11pm On Feb 06, 2016
PeinDanzo:
End time elderly woman
God av mercy on u sad
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by Nobody: 5:12pm On Feb 06, 2016
dicefrost:
Nigerians are bad citizens. Each time i say it, people attack me. We are just as bad as our leaders. The road to my house was constructed not quite long, with drainage on both sides. The drainage is now a waste bin to the community. Someone would carry a basket load of cassava peel and empty it into the gutter. The traders at the road side would abandon their unsold or rotten food items in the gutter. Now, when it rains the road is flooded because the drainage is clogged. Should we blame the government now? I repeat, Nigerians are as bad as their leaders. There is need for massive reorientation. Let our religious bodies whom Nigerians seem to honor begin to teach their flock how to be good citizens, Lai Mohammed should focus on orientation and messages aimed at changing our mentality. If not, no matter the infrastructure you give us, we will damage over time and blame the government.
We are not HUMANS... .
IF I had the privilege, I would have classified BLACKS under INVERTEBRATES.
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by 100Cents: 5:21pm On Feb 06, 2016
#LeaveTrash4Lawma.

Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by 100Cents: 5:25pm On Feb 06, 2016
Abbeyunique2:
i don't feel comfortable throwing waste on the ground. maybe because i went to FUNAAB, our vc then was strict abt it.once caught, you are out of the sch.
shout out to prof. balogun

I like your Vice principal..
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by Abbeyunique2(m): 5:34pm On Feb 06, 2016
100Cents:

I like your Vice principal..
vice chancelor
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by Emma1Oj(m): 5:43pm On Feb 06, 2016
only an unreasonable or uneducated person will eat in a car or bus and throw the trash through the window of his car or bus.
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by djdoxxx(m): 6:12pm On Feb 06, 2016
Check my signature
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by litetias(m): 6:24pm On Feb 06, 2016
I have often noticed that women litter more than men but when it comes to their homes they will be very neat.
Baboons
Re: Please Stop Throwing Things on The Road...Use The Waste Bin. by litetias(m): 6:25pm On Feb 06, 2016
EVILFOREST:

We are not HUMANS... .
IF I had the privilege, I would have classified BLACKS under INVERTEBRATES.
I second the motion

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Quack Doctor Infects 6-yr-old Boy With HIV In Nasarawa / Please Help - Bumps At The Back Of Head. / Lagos Hospital Detains Nursing Mothers, Babies Over Non Payment Of Bills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.