Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,445 members, 7,812,339 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background (951 Views)

Does The President Have A Personal Medical Team? / 6 Benefits For Nigeria As Donald Trump Becomes American President / Ben Bruce Tweet Showing All The Countries Mr. President Have Gone To. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by zaicon1(m): 7:08am On Feb 08, 2016
Since the 2nd world war, world politics have witnessed influx of military official in main stream politics. Alas one might think that every country needs a president who can call the shot and have total military control at the highest level.

In Africa, countries like Algeria,Botswana, Congo DR,Egypt,Eritrea,Gambia,Mauritania,Nigeria, Rwanda,Sudan,Tanzania all boast of president with military background.

In America, 10 out of the last 12 president have served in the military. Although one might argue that those period witness intense military actions around the world, from the 2nd world war, to the Vietnamese War and The cold war with USSR, One wouldnt think twice to elect these military brass as president!.

In the past 6 decades, President Obama and Bill clinton are the only civilian president that have graced the oval office. Can America Afford another ?

Skeptics believe that President Obama inexperience in the military have flawed his major effort in security intervention mainly in the Arab spring. The front runners at the 2016 election in both Democrat and Republican party have no military experience.
One could also argue that American president with military background will further plunge the country into unreasonable wars and military interventions around the globe. Literally ,the world needs peace

Will it affect their foreign policy with regards to security?.

http://foreignvoice..com/2016/02/must-american-president-have-prior.html

Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by Cutehector(m): 7:11am On Feb 08, 2016
Even buhari who is a retired general is so clueless...

I did not write this!

1 Like

Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by zaicon1(m): 7:20am On Feb 08, 2016
US have had their glory days under military men

1 Like

Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by Lordave: 8:00am On Feb 08, 2016
Did Ronald Reagan serve in the military?
Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by Psalm18: 8:12am On Feb 08, 2016
Nixon was a lying and deceptive President who brought shame to the white house.
Obama legacy will largely be favorable. At the very least he is not guilty of the lies Bush Jnr used in going to war in Iraq.
My.point been Obama and Clinton were not ex military men but performed creditably well. Nixon and Bush served in the military
Clinton is seen as been responsible for the positive growth in America economy when he was President.

On all sides of the present leading candidates none had active military service.
The notion an American president has to have a military background is bs.
Obama soundly defeated mc Cain, a veteran in the last election.
Empathy, fairness, good judgement call, intelligence are qualities I will rather my President has than just an ex gun man.
Bringing it to Nigeria, was Abacha, IBB, Gowon and all the other clowns that brought us to the sorry state not military men?

1 Like

Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by zaicon1(m): 8:22am On Feb 08, 2016
Lordave:

Reagan was a captain in the US Army. He was involved in the 2and world war

2 Likes

Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by zaicon1(m): 8:26am On Feb 08, 2016
Psalm18:
Obama legacy will largely be favorable. At the very least he is not guilty of the lies Bush Jnr used in going to war in Iraq.
My.point been Obama and Clinton were not ex military men but performed creditably well. Nixon and Bush served in the military
Clinton is seen as been responsible for the positive growth in America economy when he was President.

On all sides of the present leading candidates none had active military service.
The notion an American president has to have a military background is bs.
Obama soundly defeated mc Cain, a veteran in the last election.
Empathy, fairness, good judgement call, intelligence are qualities I will rather my President has than just a gun man.
Bringing it to Nigeria, was Abacha, IBB, Gowon and all the other clowns that brought us to the sorry state not military men?

Yes..you're right, Clinton is probably the best American president in US history if not for his sex scandal with Monica Lewinsky.
Jimmy carter was also on the fore front of human right and equality all around the globe.
Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by Lordave: 8:27am On Feb 08, 2016
zaicon1:

Reagan was a captain in the US Army. He was involved in the 2and world war
Ok, thanks.
Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by Psalm18: 8:34am On Feb 08, 2016
zaicon1:

Yes..you're right, Clinton is probably the best American president in US history if not for his sex scandal with Monica Lewinsky.
Jimmy carter was also on the fore front of human right and equality all around the globe.
Indeed.
I don't see anything special with military background or not.
I say it because in Nigeria we are quick to copy Americans when it suits us.
Very soon people will be advocating that we should only elect ex military men without much thought to the whole story.
Sadly the two non military men we have had( shagari and Jonathan) were not any better to the others.
Our own issues is our political system that needs formatting.
Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:44am On Feb 08, 2016
Lordave:
Ronald Reagan was an actor, but his VP George Bush was a WW2 Air Force veteran.

1 Like

Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by Lordave: 8:51am On Feb 08, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

That's why I asked, cos I knew as far back as 2006 that Cristiano Ronaldo's father named him after Ronald Reagan, a US actor turned president.
The guy said he was a Captain in the US Army, I'll search his profile.
Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by zaicon1(m): 8:51am On Feb 08, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

He served in the military before joining the entertainment industry

1 Like

Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:20am On Feb 08, 2016
Lordave:
That's why I asked, cos I knew as far back as 2006 that Cristiano Ronaldo's father named him after Ronald Reagan, a US actor turned president.
The guy said he was a Captain in the US Army, I'll search his profile.
Ulysses Grant was an America Civil War veteran.
Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by zaicon1(m): 10:41am On Feb 08, 2016
Ok
Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by orisa37: 11:04am On Feb 08, 2016
Yes. Until we employ the same practice in . Nigeria, our Presidential system will remain confusing.
Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by Missy89(f): 11:35am On Feb 08, 2016
zaicon1:

Clinton is not the best president in US history. He won't even make the top 3.

Jimmy carter's human rights crusade was only after he left office. His human rights record during is tenure was nothing to write home about. East timor is an example.
Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by Missy89(f): 12:16pm On Feb 08, 2016
Psalm18:

I see you deliberately forgot that Clinton was also a lying and deceptive president who was impeached and brought shame to the white house as well. Since you are focusing on the positive sides of Clinton, Why are you not doing the same for Nixon? His accomplishments like proposing EPA, Establishing NEPA, MMPA , ESA among other progressive agencies . Signed title 9 amendment banning gender based discrimination in schools,,Ended the Vietnam war, Detente with China, lowered voting age so students can vote just to name a few. Every US president always have a scandal. He was the only unlucky one to leave office as a result of one

1 Like

Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by Psalm18: 12:24pm On Feb 08, 2016
Missy89:

I see you deliberately forgot that Clinton was also a lying and deceptive president who was impeached and brought shame to the white house as well. Since you are focusing on the positive sides of Clinton, Why are you not doing the same for Nixon? His accomplishments like proposing EPA, Establishing NEPA, MMPA , ESA among other progressive agencies . Signed title 9 amendment banning gender based discrimination in schools,,Ended the Vietnam war, Detente with China, lowered voting age so students can vote just to name a few. Every US president always have a scandal. He was the only unlucky one to leave office as a result of one
Indeed Nixon efforts on the environment were commendable. I believe the epa and the NEPA acts have strengthened American fight against the abuse of its environment. (Rachel Carson silent spring was the spur to all that)
Clinton lied about his affairs but what Nixon did was a gross abuse of power. When Watergate came to light, he sought to discredit all those who wanted him to come clean.
My main focus was to dismiss the notion you need military background and I used Clinton records to show that while I used the most 'unlucky' Nixon records to buttress that point.
Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by Missy89(f): 12:31pm On Feb 08, 2016
Psalm18:

Indeed Nixon efforts on the environment were commendable. I believe the epa and the NEPA acts have strengthened American fight against the abuse of its environment. (Rachel Carson silent spring was the spur to all that)
Clinton lied about his affairs but what Nixon did was a gross abuse of power. When Watergate came to light, he sought to discredit all those who wanted him to come clean.
My main focus was to dismiss the notion you need military background and I used Clinton records to show that while I used the most 'unlucky' Nixon records to buttress that point.

I see your point. The military background thingy used to be a non issue until Obama's presidency really.
Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:42pm On Feb 08, 2016
Missy89, you appear to have much interest on the United States. I like it.
Re: Must An American President Have A Prior Military Background by zaicon1(m): 10:56pm On Feb 08, 2016
Psalm18:

Unless you tell me that Truman who blew up Japan killing millions even after he knows Japan was ready to surrender, Or Wilson might have had a hand in new structure in the UN after the league of Nation was squashed. I still think Clinton is the best in the last century.

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Things PMB Said In UK Historic Interview / President Buhari Gets Angry, Orders More Sackings Inside The Budget Office / Press Statement: PDP Social Media Directorate Disowns Fakee-registration Portal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.