Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,450 members, 7,819,662 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable (34263 Views)

Amaechi's Claims On Recession Under Jonathan, 7,000MW Under PMB False – TheCable / Remi Tinubu ‘Takes Over’ Ekweremadu’s Seat - TheCable / Buhari Fires CSO For ‘Leaking’ Itinerary To Diezani - TheCable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by nigerianvenom(m): 1:51pm On Feb 08, 2016

Muhammad Sanusi II, the emir of Kano and the immediate past governor of the Central Bank (CBN), says President Muhammadu Buhari’s endorsement of the CBN foreign exchange policy encourages corruption.

Lauding Buhari’s removal of “wasteful and corrupt fuel subsidies”, Sanusi said the current forex policy endorsed by the president encourages similar rent seeking and corruption which trailed the subsidy regime.

“He (Buhari) has put an end to the [crude] swap regime which is also one side of rent-seeking and corruption . . . he has made the NNPC start producing accounts, so there is greater transparency,” Sanusi told Financial Times.

“These measures are good for the economy and display strong political will to change the system. But getting monetary and fiscal policies right will be crucial for broader progress in structural reform.”

FT quoted the emir as saying the president’s anti-corruption stance was “totally inconsistent” with the foreign exchange regime he supported, adding that it “encourages corruption and rent-seeking similar to the fuel subsidy regime”.

The emir, who was CBN governor from 2009 to 2014, expressed his displeasure with the monetary policy regime which he said has “very obvious drawbacks that far outweigh its dubious benefits”.

“Unfortunately, because the exchange rate is right out there in front now, monetary policy is being seen as the barometer for broader economic thinking,” he said.

“It is sad that on this one policy you get it so wrong that you risk taking away attention from everything else you are doing.”

Sanusi who resisted devaluation during his own tenure as CBN governor said he did so because he “had reserves of over $40bn and an oil price at over $110,” admitting that there are no easy ways out of the current situation and “devaluation is a bitter pill”.

The country’s economic woes were now being exacerbated, with the currency peg and restrictions in the foreign exchange market creating “a lot of speculative and precautionary demand,” Sanusi argued.

Exporters and investors “are holding on to foreign currency, as no one would sell at the rate the government is setting”, while “the government does not have the reserves to keep the exchange rate at its official level in the market”.

“These policies have been tried in different parts of the world and in this country before and they have just never worked. No matter what the stated intention behind them, they are wrong,” he said.

The gap between the black market rate and the “artificial” official exchange rate would keep widening until the bank adopted a more realistic policy or the price of oil climbed and dramatically increased reserves, he further said.

He said a more flexible exchange rate policy at this point would be the “least bad option”.

“We are hopeful that given all the other positive things done so far, policy will head broadly in the right direction and flexibility will come in down the line.”

Buhari and the CBN have continually insisted that devaluation of the naira is not the way out, with the president insisting that he would not want to “murder” (devalue) the naira.

The parallel market sells at N306, which is 50% higher than the official rate of N198.

https://www.thecable.ng/sanusi-buharis-fx-policy-encourages-corruption

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Jusmudi(m): 1:53pm On Feb 08, 2016
Na ist 2 comment ooooooooooooo. Dis lenten season wen we won enter na beta tin nai I go get o, oghene, Je-su, chu-ku, Ebube

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by INTROVERT(f): 1:54pm On Feb 08, 2016
Ok
Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Nobody: 2:02pm On Feb 08, 2016
Which corruption

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Nobody: 2:35pm On Feb 08, 2016
Buhari's economic policy in line with Venezuela and Zimbabwe

that says it all how successful this boneheaded policy will be!!!!

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by kernel501: 2:38pm On Feb 08, 2016
DEY DON DEY GO ONE BY ONE... ~ APC
SANUSI~ APC IS KWAMFUSED WALAHI.

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by tuniski: 2:43pm On Feb 08, 2016
Buhari wont listen until the naira reaches 500 to the dollar. He doesn't get it and doesn't accept he doesn't! He is like Mugabe very dogmatic and strong headed.

90 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Nobody: 2:45pm On Feb 08, 2016
IPOD sanusi... Wailing Emir... cool

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Nobody: 3:10pm On Feb 08, 2016
I can't believe it!!
Sanusi too?
So baba go stand alone

Shey dem say d form dun finish?

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by DonXavi(m): 3:17pm On Feb 08, 2016
Give Sanisi a wailer's form to fill, I have payed for the form on his behalf.

The number of wailers are swelling by the day.. grin grin grin who's next?

139 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by crestedaguiyi: 4:34pm On Feb 08, 2016
DonXavi:
Give Sanisi a wailer's form to fill, I have payed for the form on his behalf.

The number of wailers are swelling by the day.. grin grin grin who's next?

sorry boss, form is sold out.

Firefire asked me not to order for reprint

97 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Motherfucker2: 5:19pm On Feb 08, 2016
I so much love Buhari.
See how Buhari transformed Nigeria in just 8 months in office.

I receive 10,000 naira every month.
School fees is now free.
$1 is now 1 naira
8 months uninterrupted electricity.

Boko Harams is now a thing of the past, The Nigerian Army killed 1 million of their fighters and also captured their leader Shekau alive.

Buhari is the best president in the world.
I hope he rules Nigeria for 50 more years

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Adonispco: 5:19pm On Feb 08, 2016
Apc and their change!

5 Likes

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by ozoigbondu: 5:20pm On Feb 08, 2016
Our wailing club is expanding day by day

Sanusi welcome to the wailers club but our form is 500k pay up or Fvck off angry we have more people begging to join us and the form is scarce cool

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by kennyman200(m): 5:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
Hmmmmm
Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by buJu234: 5:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
crestedaguiyi:

Bros una u bad oo grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Lordave: 5:23pm On Feb 08, 2016
Even the emir of Kano is testifying the dumbness and ineffectual buffoonery of PMD angry

The moment PMD booked a bed in Stone Hearst Assylum in London to tend to his senility instead of patronising one of our rehabs in Abuja was the very moment I realised it's done for Nigeria and her pack of zombies.

PMD is an internationally acclaimed monumental disgrace, nevertheless, as a patriotic Nigerian, I hope the effects of his senility subsides so he can recuperate properly cos I don't want to see SanusiGate.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by diana158(m): 5:24pm On Feb 08, 2016
make i read am finish i go comment

1 Like

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by mployer(m): 5:25pm On Feb 08, 2016
This Guy says the truth without fear. Emefiele Is a puppet.

6 Likes

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by tico1212(m): 5:25pm On Feb 08, 2016
Another Zombie on the loose

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Kenai: 5:26pm On Feb 08, 2016
crestedaguiyi:

E get 14 leftover Wailer forms wey I hide for under my mattress, but abeg, I no wan make anybody touch them until I get back, because I'm reserving them for Bola Tinubu and his goons.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by harmless011: 5:26pm On Feb 08, 2016
The problem is buhari does not listen to advice, he believe that every other Nigerian is corrupt except himself.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Nobody: 5:27pm On Feb 08, 2016
speechless

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Nobody: 5:28pm On Feb 08, 2016
Lordave:
PMD is a disgrace.

is that D for Dull.a.r.d?

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by MadCow1: 5:28pm On Feb 08, 2016
hooow
Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by three: 5:29pm On Feb 08, 2016
It is important that those who midwifed the 'change' ensure true change and accountability

5 Likes

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by TimeManager(m): 5:29pm On Feb 08, 2016
Wailers sef, it's buttlicking time. O ya come buttlick the same sanusi you love to hate.
Wailers da buttlickers.
The truth has spoken!

1 Like

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by 989900: 5:29pm On Feb 08, 2016
https://www.nairaland.com/2914056/naira-10-questions-gov-emefiele

The current situation (helpless slide/depreciation of the Naira), cannot cease to be a big case for worry for those who truly can grasp the enormity of this catastrophe -- impoverishment! Unfortunately, most of do not realize the magnitude of this malady. If the gov't were to increase PMS pump price to N120/litre tomorrow, or reduce minimum wage from N18,000 to N9,000, we would have taken to the streets -- but that's what just basically or 'technically' (Mr. Lai I see you) happened.

In order to keep this as short as possible (avoid writing a book), especially with our "too long can't read" cousins in mind, I'll express my thoughts in form of questions to the CBN governor or those that can help him answer the following (of course we know fall in oil prices and 'yada, yada, yada'):

1. If demand and supply basically control the exchange rate, why is it that, despite the reduction in foreign expenditure from our Nigerian bank accounts from $3,000 daily to averagely $300/day has had no effect in curbing the 'unabated-downward-spiral' of the Naira?

2. Why is the CBN in bed with commercial banks bleeding the people dry? Why would they get dollars at N199 and charge us at N280-N300 (roughly a profit of N100,000 on every $1,000)?!

3. Why is the FG (PMB) and CBN (Gov.Emefiele) abetting arguably the greatest instigator of excess liquidity (the constant substitution of Naira allocations for dollar denominated revenue).
https://www.nairaland.com/844884/solution-fuel-subsidy-wahala-look

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/much-talk-dollar-certificates/

4. Can the CBN Governor kindly explain to us: how going from paying N2.6 trillion for petroleum products subsidy, to paying nothing, to actually making excess of N4 on every litre of PMS sold/bought has had no positive impact in propping the Naira?

5. If we truly enjoy a bit of better power supply than say 1-2 years back, do we still consume the phantom, "imported 40 million litres of PMS/day"? If not, how has this helped, or not helped the demand and supply brouhaha of the Naira vs Dollar hide and seek?

6. If we truly are tackling corruption head-on, and the customs service is doing a better job (checkmating refined products smuggling across our borders and e.t.c.) than 1-2 years back, do we still consume the phantom, "imported 40 million litres of PMS/day"? If not, how has this helped, or not helped the demand and supply brouhaha of the Naira vs Dollar hide and seek?

7. If truly our refineries are working to the recently publicized capacity, do we still consume the phantom, "imported 40 million litres of PMS/day"? If not, how has this helped, or not helped the demand and supply brouhaha of the Naira vs Dollar hide and seek?

8. If the BDCs are being 'dealt with', what alternative positive measures have you Mr. Governor put in place . . .?

9. If you Mr. Governor are no longer getting orders from the present C-in-C to disburse them dollars to them Dasukis, and with the implementation of proper accounting of remittances from NNPC and others, why is it not helping the Naira?

10. Lastly, why would you preach 'agric', but say 'agric' does not need power supply to practice? Duh
undecided

BTW, Sanusi is now chairman (Blackstone) -- his 'vested interest' would have to be taken into consideration.
Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by onatisi(m): 5:29pm On Feb 08, 2016
Obj,okogie,senator garba,omojuwa,oby ezekwele,shehu sani and now

SANUSI!!!!

The wailers club is getting more patronage ,anyone wanting the form must now pay on dollars grin

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Jowonloju(m): 5:30pm On Feb 08, 2016
This guy no go shut-up, part of the reasons you are still talking is the fact that GEJ was so afraid to make you pay for messing up the banking system and donating Govt. Money without approval.
The Pill you refused, you now want PMB to swallow.... SMH

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Peter Obi: The One Of PDP Is Over 70 Yrs; The Other One, We Don't Know His Age / Pictures From The First Commercial Trip Of The Lagos Metro Rail / Nigerian Will Do Anything In The Name Free Money N10,000,000 NGO Grant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.