Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,484 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable (34262 Views)

Amaechi's Claims On Recession Under Jonathan, 7,000MW Under PMB False – TheCable / Remi Tinubu ‘Takes Over’ Ekweremadu’s Seat - TheCable / Buhari Fires CSO For ‘Leaking’ Itinerary To Diezani - TheCable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Nobody: 3:16am On Feb 09, 2016
abbey621:

The main goal is to force consumers and businesses to transact in Naira! Where most of us are confused is the fact that we somehow think the drastic decline of the Naira is more about the currency policy rather than being truthful and realizing that it was brought on by continuous decline in oil prices and the wastage brought on by the previous administration. Once we are able to recover stolen loot, stop wastage and improve infrastructures, we will see a stronger Naira; devaluation of the Naira is not the way to go!

So if an investorwants to do business in Nigeria, he will have to do it in Naira, knowing fully well, that in the state of the naira, that will be suicidal for him? Let me ask you, if you have a choice of either doing business in Nigeria, or in Ghana. You look at the options, Ghana has a "comfy" currency and the Naira doesn't, but for some reason, you still came with the dollar to nigeria and then you find out that you have to change to naira, which will make it more expensive for you, will you not run to Ghana?

To summarize, the policy drives away investors.

Once we are able to recover stolen loot, stop wastage and improve infrastructures, we will see a stronger Naira; devaluation of the Naira is not the way to go!

APC in november said Buhari has recovered N1.4 trillion. We havn't seen any signs that he has. We are still begging for a loan which is actually less than the said amount from the international community.
Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by luvmijeje(f): 3:38am On Feb 09, 2016
Sanusi who resisted devaluation during his own tenure as CBN governor said he did so because he “had reserves of over $40bn and an oil price at over $110,” admitting that there are no easy ways out of the current situation and “devaluation is a bitter pill”.

The country’s economic woes were now being exacerbated, with the currency peg and restrictions in the foreign exchange market creating “a lot of speculative and precautionary demand,” Sanusi argued.

Exporters and investors “are holding on to foreign currency, as no one would sell at the rate the government is setting”, while “the government does not have the reserves to keep the exchange rate at its official level in the market”.

These policies have been tried in different parts of the world and in this country before and they have just never worked. No matter what the stated intention behind them, they are wrong,” he said.

The gap between the black market rate and the “artificial” official exchange rate would keep widening until the bank adopted a more realistic policy or the price of oil climbed and dramatically increased reserves, he further said.

From my own layman point of view, mallam reasons for devaluation are not compelling enough.

He didn't do it during his era because the we have enough reserves, maybe the President is also building enough to cushion the naira.

We need more debate on it. Where are the nairaland'economic in house team?
Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Justinah4real(f): 5:30am On Feb 09, 2016
tuniski:
Buhari wont listen until the naira reaches 500 to the dollar. He doesn't get it and doesn't accept he doesn't! He is like Mugabe very dogmatic and strong headed.
The goal is 1000 naira to the dollar.

2 Likes

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by 989900: 5:43am On Feb 09, 2016
luvmijeje:

From my own layman point of view, mallam reasons for devaluation are not compelling enough.

He didn't do it during his era because the we have enough reserves, maybe the President is also building enough to cushion the naira.

We need more debate on it. Where are the nairaland'economic in house team?

In this instance, he is just a self-serving hypocrite (my opinion), looking out for number one; looking out for 'Blackstone enterprises'.

Buhari is doing the right thing, the hard way; he needs genuine help though -- he needs to listen to more people with both like-mind, and contrary. Personally, I am one of the worst hit by Buhari's stance (on the Naira), but I believe if he does not waver, if he does not relent, the future will surely be better and more solid -- for repetition, he needs help though -- fast!.

Devaluation so far for us, has proven to be nothing but a cosmetic solution to an endemic situation (treating symptoms in-lieu of causes).

The below have been my articles/take so far on devaluation:

https://www.nairaland.com/2630715/how-naira-devaluation-impoverish-nigeria

https://www.nairaland.com/2573929/poison-further-devaluation-naira

https://www.nairaland.com/2914056/naira-10-questions-gov-emefiele
Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by Nobody: 7:09am On Feb 09, 2016
crixtex:
IPOD sanusi... Wailing Emir... cool
You got it bro.
Child of hate like Sanusi.
Hshahahahaha This is just the beginning. We warned Nigerians, but they were enchanted by the change mantra.
I have no tears for Nigeria.
Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by EternalTruths: 8:11am On Feb 09, 2016
vigasimple:

The change zombies don't know that Buhari is at minimum, an economic illiterate. But I think , he is also lack the capacity to lead in the 21st century. When it comes to cow business, trust a Fulani man. Unfortunately, we are in a country where born to rule Fulani man is the order of the day.

GEJ is not a bad leader but he was afraid to die because the North want their power back otherwise the country can go into flames , they don't care.

If the country was to be in flames, few thousand almajiris will die and few hundreds in the south but would they care?

Jonathan was not afraid.

He saw that the US would supply APC weapons while denying him weapons

As a wise man, he swallowed his pride to prevent losing a war since Nigeria can't manufacture her weapons
Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by EternalTruths: 8:27am On Feb 09, 2016
noblezone:

You got it bro.

Child of hate like Sanusi.

Hshahahahaha
This is just the beginning.
We warned Nigerians, but they were enchanted by the change mantra.

I have no tears for Nigeria.

Especially for those treacherous Southerners angry

God bless the better South cool

1 Like

Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by abbey621(m): 2:22pm On Feb 09, 2016
ikennaf1:

So if an investorwants to do business in Nigeria, he will have to do it in Naira, knowing fully well, that in the state of the naira, that will be suicidal for him? Let me ask you, if you have a choice of either doing business in Nigeria, or in Ghana[b]. You look at the options, Ghana has a "comfy" currency and the Naira doesn't, but for some reason, you still came with the dollar to nigeria[/b] and then you find out that you have to change to naira, which will make it more expensive for you, will you not run to Ghana?

To summarize, the policy drives away investors.

APC in november said Buhari has recovered N1.4 trillion. We havn't seen any signs that he has. We are still begging for a loan which is actually less than the said amount from the international community.

Ask yourself can you take Naira to the USA or Britain and do business? We keep claiming we want to be one of the biggest economy in the world yet you are comparing us to Ghana, a country with way less GDP or annual growth. The best countries in the world encourage trade in local currencies more than foreign currencies, for Nigeria to be great we must also follow that path! Now to your second point, who or what is APC? I deal with people not entities without a focal point. Can you tell me the person that said N1.4 trillion had been recovered? Learn to separate propaganda from facts my friend!
Re: Sanusi: Buhari’s FX Policy Encourages Corruption-thecable by luvmijeje(f): 8:10pm On Feb 09, 2016
989900:

In this instance, he is just a self-serving hypocrite (my opinion), looking out for number one; looking out for 'Blackstone enterprises'.

Buhari is doing the right thing, the hard way; he needs genuine help though -- he needs to listen to more people with both like-mind, and contrary. Personally, I am one of the worst hit by Buhari's stance (on the Naira), but I believe if he does not waver, if he does not relent, the future will surely be better and more solid -- for repetition, he needs help though -- fast!.

Devaluation so far for us, has proven to be nothing but a cosmetic solution to an endemic situation (treating symptoms in-lieu of causes).

The below have been my articles/take so far on devaluation:

https://www.nairaland.com/2630715/how-naira-devaluation-impoverish-nigeria

https://www.nairaland.com/2573929/poison-further-devaluation-naira

https://www.nairaland.com/2914056/naira-10-questions-gov-emefiele

Thanks for the links.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Will Do Anything In The Name Free Money N10,000,000 NGO Grant / Man Drinks Dirty Water To Celebrate Yahaya Bello's Victory(photos) / Peter Obi: The One Of PDP Is Over 70 Yrs; The Other One, We Don't Know His Age

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.