Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,780 members, 7,831,514 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Speaking In Tongues? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues? (2382 Views)

Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speaking In Tongues? by SeanT21(f): 3:43am On Jul 08, 2009
Wonderful response. Thanks. wink
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jul 08, 2009
You're very welcome. Post any more questions you may have.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Horus(m): 3:39pm On Jul 14, 2009
Speaking In Tongues?

The Caucasians and Hindu took our ancient African sciences but aligned them with the moon and gave the world Luna Astrology to counter attack the African sciences now known as solar biology. They use negative conscious gases we call 6 ether. It is these 6 ether conscious gases which are reactivated through the Caucasian version of Christianity. It is these gases which make people speak tongue in churches and lose their mind. It is what you call a gospel which means ghost spell. 6 ether gases represent the dead while 9 ether gases represent life. It is these 6 ether conscious gases that exist within oxygen that in your blood stream spark your brain in church to fall to the ground or foam in the mouth etc. In turn it dismantles the rational part of the brain which questions things thus making you subservient in nature. This keeps you in a spell believing that Caucasian are here to help and that they are your masters. This led to you giving up your African land resources to them allowing them to exploit your lands for their personal wealth. This has led to the young Africans giving up their culture for the western ways. To know what is good or bad you must know that any belief system that does not promote you, your own culture, your own race and your own physical appearance (all differences) in a positive manner has to revised. Even though there is evidence that people of the African (Nubian) race are in the bible, films, pictures and books still promote a white Jesus and white prophets. Many disagreeable people use these negative six ether forces to cast bad spells at night, as they need the moon present.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 14, 2009
Horus:

Speaking In Tongues?

The Caucasians and Hindu took our ancient African sciences but aligned them with the moon and gave the world Luna Astrology to counter attack the African sciences now known as solar biology. They use negative conscious gases we call 6 ether. It is these 6 ether conscious gases which are reactivated through the Caucasian version of Christianity. It is these gases which make people speak tongue in churches and lose their mind. It is what you call a gospel which means ghost spell. 6 ether gases represent the dead while 9 ether gases represent life. It is these 6 ether conscious gases that exist within oxygen that in your blood stream spark your brain in church to fall to the ground or foam in the mouth etc. In turn it dismantles the rational part of the brain which questions things thus making you subservient in nature. This keeps you in a spell believing that Caucasian are here to help and that they are your masters. This led to you giving up your African land resources to them allowing them to exploit your lands for their personal wealth. This has led to the young Africans giving up their culture for the western ways. To know what is good or bad you must know that any belief system that does not promote you, your own culture, your own race and your own physical appearance (all differences) in a positive manner has to revised. Even though there is evidence that people of the African (Nubian) race are in the bible, films, pictures and books still promote a white Jesus and white prophets. Many disagreeable people use these negative six ether forces to cast bad spells at night, as they need the moon present.

What do we expect from an atheist?

But let me tell you something - people, including me, pray in tongues in private prayer. When we're alone in a room at night, for example. Does that mean that a few vials of 6 ether enclosed in a special type of glass which subtly breaks at a sonic trigger have been sewn into the seams of my shirts? Please!

You're an atheist. I don't expect you to agree with the whole "Speaking in Tongues" thing. But thanks for deviating from the usual sharp insults that fly around whenever people's religious opinions contradict. Thanks very much, honestly.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Horus(m): 9:56pm On Jul 14, 2009
What do we expect from an atheist?

But let me tell you something - people, including me, pray in tongues in private prayer. When we're alone in a room at night, for example. Does that mean that a few vials of 6 ether enclosed in a special type of glass which subtly breaks at a sonic trigger have been sewn into the seams of my shirts? Please!

You're an atheist. I don't expect you to agree with the whole "Speaking in Tongues" thing. But thanks for deviating from the usual sharp insults that fly around whenever people's religious opinions contradict. Thanks very much, honestly.

6 ether and 9 ether have nothing to do with beliefs but facts and science. You dont have to believe in the law of gravity but if you drop an object the fact that you dont believe in the law of gravity cannot stop this object to be atracted to the ground. 6 ether gases represent the dead while 9 ether gases represent life. When you inverse the number 9 it give you 6. The caucasian inverted our African sciences and he is using it against us trought beliefs.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by skydancer: 3:48am On Jul 15, 2009
Whatever you guys say. I have not seen anyone that is speaking in tongues. Speaking in tongue is not speaking gibberish. When the disciples recieved the gifts, they could not hear each other but people they spoke their languages could hear them. A tongue is a tongue and for someone to be able to speak in tonguedimply means breaking the confusion God set on us before we tried to create the tower of babel. Being able to understand tongues is also the same way. But I want wveryone to remember that Paul said "Of what good is it if one speaks in tongues and no one understands him". The people that claim to interpret repeat the same thing each time. They say things in their favour and nothing looks typically the way it should be. I know there are people who speak in tongues, even those that are not christians. People should be careful. The race of human beings today want miracles, but none will be given except the sign of Jonah. At least I am happy that Africa currently has the largest population of Chrisitianity now. Our colonisers have failed. Not only is atheism rampant, there is a worse one. And it is occultism. It secretly spreads through so many ways that I am afraid of my surrounding. Let us keep praying and spreading the gospel. We must all strive to stand in faith and defend the truth. May peace reign.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Bobbyaf(m): 5:53am On Jul 15, 2009
My understanding of the gift of tongues is quite a different thing. I personally don't see the gift as uttering sounds that are not understandable.

In Acts 2 the apostles spoke and the other Jewish people from 16 different nations in the diaspora understood them. Bear in mind that the disciples spoke the Galilean Hebrew dialect. The other Jewish people who lived outside Jerusalem only came there to celebrate the feast of the Passover, which incidentally coincided with the feast of Pentecost.

It was while they were in Jerusalem that the Holy Spirit came upon the disciples as was promised by Jesus which empowered them to receive the gifts, including the gift of tongues.

This manifestation is not the same as seen today in the congregations. Why do I say that? Because the languages spoken by the disciples, and those that were heard by the outsiders were intelligible languages. The bible remarked that so impressed were they that they marvelled that the disciples who were from Galilee could have spoken their mother language with such ease.

That was the utterance that the Spirit gave. The Spirit of God was able to work the miracle both ways. He empowered the disciples to speak without having to learn a foreign language, while empowering the listeners to understand a strange dialect. So both speakers and listeners understood.

Today what we have is everyone trying to speak all at once, which is in contradiction to what St. Paul teaches in 1 Corinthian 14, St. Paul asks the questions in 1 Corinthians 12, do all speak in tongues?, Do all prophesy?, and we all know that the resounding answer is no, And if the answer is no then why must people be led to believe and accept the false teaching that if you do not speak with tongues you're not truly filled?

The gift of tongues was given to the early Christians for a reason, and that was to be able to break the language barrier where ever they went with the gospel of Jesus Christ. As soon as they were baptized they received the gift. It was never meant to be used in a manner that would create the kind of ridicule as we have seen by those who look on. The body jerks and swaying are foreign to the original purpose of the gift.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by kolaoloye(m): 9:01am On Jul 15, 2009
Horus:

Speaking In Tongues?

One day God will open your eyes of understanding like that of Paul in the Bible.
Remain blessed in Jesus name.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 21, 2009
Horus:

6 ether and 9 ether have nothing to do with beliefs but facts and science. You dont have to believe in the law of gravity but if you drop an object the fact that you dont believe in the law of gravity cannot stop this object to be atracted to the ground. 6 ether gases represent the dead while 9 ether gases represent life. When you inverse the number 9 it give you 6. The caucasian inverted our African sciences and he is using it against us trought beliefs.

Weak argument.

Gravity is obvious. The most obvious thing on earth. How do you explain the fact that I speak in tongues in private prayer?
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 21, 2009
Bobbyaf:

My understanding of the gift of tongues is quite a different thing. I personally don't see the gift as uttering sounds that are not understandable.

1 Co 14:2

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

KJV

It does happen when people are speaking in tongues that they begin to speak other human languages. But it's possible that you utter sounds that are not comprehensible by others, from the verse above.

Now, people misuse the whole tongues thing, even people who speak fake tongues. The Bible in 1Cor 14 says that all things should be done to edify the Church. If someone gets up in the middle of a service and starts speaking out loud in "tongues", then God is not pleased. One, it's disorderly. Two, the Bible says that if there is no interpreter, one should speak to himself and God alone.

1 Co 14:12
12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
KJV

1 Co 14:26
26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
KJV

1 Co 14:28
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
KJV

As for interpretation, there are people who might think that they have the gift of interpreting, but they do not. They just open their mouths and say things. A gift like interpreting tongues is very definite. It's either you have it and you're sure of it, or you don't.

I hope you understand now.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Horus(m): 5:50pm On Jul 21, 2009
mactao:

Weak argument.

This is not an argument but a Fact. Only the ignorant argue.

Gravity is obvious. The most obvious thing on earth. How do you explain the fact that I speak in tongues in private prayer?

You are under the influence of 6 ether even if you are not aware of it.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by hubreality(m): 11:14pm On Jul 21, 2009
Speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy Ghost made available to only believers who received Christ into their spirits. Its meaningless to an unbeliever. Are you a believer in God's word and His Spirit, this is a major gift/tool of the Spirit not of sensory perceptions. Desire it, embrace it, accept it, and use it very often. It will make out of you a "change agent." Remember, we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers, rulers of wicked forces in the high places. Refuse to be robbed of this great gift/tool of the Spirit thru doubts, unbelief, and critics. Ask the Lord of Hosts(Christ Jesus) to reveal more thru His Word and Spirit. More of our faith walk are attached to this.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:17pm On Jul 21, 2009
hubreality:

Speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy Ghost made available to only believers who received Christ into their spirits. Its meaningless to an unbeliever. Are you a believer in God's word and His Spirit, this is a major gift/tool of the Spirit not of sensory perceptions. Desire it, embrace it, accept it, and use it very often. It will make out of you a "change agent." Remember, we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers, rulers of wicked forces in the high places. Refuse to be robbed of this great gift/tool of the Spirit thru doubts, unbelief, and critics. Ask the Lord of Hosts(Christ Jesus) to reveal more thru His Word and Spirit. More of our faith walk are attached to this.

Speaking in tongues does not make much sense to me though, God is supposed to hear you regardless no?
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by hubreality(m): 11:49pm On Jul 21, 2009
It does not even make any sense to so many Christians yet. Its a faith walk only made manifest and meaningful to believers of the Spirit that raised Jesus from death. Deep and constant meditation on God's Word will always triger the speaking if this special gift is in you, you may equally ask of the interpretations. Get infilled and speak first. Its a lovely Spirit and Faith walk far beyond critical reasoning, self, science, and religion. "Without Faith it is impossible to please God." Hebrews 11:6 
Shalom!
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by sley4life(m): 6:22am On Jul 22, 2009
people fake it
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by sley4life(m): 6:23am On Jul 22, 2009
majority of those claiming to speak in tongues are false
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 6:34am On Jul 22, 2009
@seanT21, Guy u Bleep up, U no know say tongue-slanging i mean speaking in tongue na incantations, No carry 2 much money if u dey go dat kind church else u go wreck urself,
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Bobbyaf(m): 9:05am On Jul 22, 2009
@ mactao

1 Co 14:2

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

I'd have to assume you do not have any knowledge whatsoever of how Greek was translated into what we have as translations. The very word "unknown" is an applied word, which means it was never apart of the original Greek. The translators added the word to beef up the sentence so to speak.

The word tongue means language. If its a language it is intelligible. What the verse is rightly saying is that whosoever speaks in a foreign language does not speak to people who don't know that language, but speaks to God who knows all languages.

Secondly the verse continues to say "howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries" The word "spirit" means mind or understanding. in other words the person who happens to hear such a language finds it mysterious. Every person who hears a language they cannot understand finds such a language mysterious. You at some point in your mind begin to wonder what the hell is being said. You just don''t have a clue. That is why Paul addressed the dilemma in the following manner, which was happening in a congregational setting, by suggesting the following: "9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air." Obviously the goal was to edify the whole congregation with teachings rather than trying to prove to the church that you had a gift.

It does happen when people are speaking in tongues that they begin to speak other human languages. But it's possible that you utter sounds that are not comprehensible by others, from the verse above.

Something Paul discouraged, and which begs the logical question. Why do the modern churches continue to practice something that was contrary to the teachings and instructions of Paul?

Now, people misuse the whole tongues thing, even people who speak fake tongues. The Bible in 1Cor 14 says that all things should be done to edify the Church. If someone gets up in the middle of a service and starts speaking out loud in "tongues", then God is not pleased. One, it's disorderly. Two, the Bible says that if there is no interpreter, one should speak to himself and God alone.

Which makes me wonder about the source of such utterances.

I hope you understand now.

You thought I didn't understand? I understand all right. I understand that there are congregations that have literally built up a brand new doctrine that is turning their members from a better understanding of what God intended.

That brand of worship is built on nothing more than emotionalism. I hate to say it but its true.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by hubreality(m): 9:43am On Jul 22, 2009
Why will apostle Paul say to his fellows that he speaks more than them all? It's a regular affair for him as he understood the great mystery behind it. If you've received the Holy Spirit into your Spirit, need not to worry about who's faking it. The church or the assembly of believers is not for the perfect nor is it a gathering of perfect people. Its only God's Word and His Spirit that will build and perfect anyone present. In fact you'll find harlots, wolves, and dogs right inside since ages. Thanks be to the transformer and His unending love(His Word). I love and desire more of His Spiritual gifts not religion. Its not by any merit of ours but by His Spirit and Love.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Horus(m): 11:29am On Jul 22, 2009
Pentecostalists claim that when the Holy Spirit comes to you, you speaking in tongues, or Glossolalia. Glossolalia comes from the Greek word Glossa and it literally means, "tongue." They claim the "lord" is passing a message through them. Yet, Pentecostalists don't speak in other tongues. Instead, they fall out on the floor and start babbling and muttering, while moaning and talking undecipherable mumbo-jumbo.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 22, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia

Glossolalia is commonly called "speaking in tongues". For other uses of "speaking in tongues", see Speaking in Tongues (disambiguation).
"Tongues" redirects here. For the body part, see Tongue, for other uses, see Tongue (disambiguation).
Some uses of 'Glossolalia' (including here) refer to Xenoglossy, speaking in a natural language that was previously unknown to the speaker.

Glossolalia or speaking in tongues refers to the vocalizing (or, less commonly, writing) of fluent speech-like syllables, often as part of religious practice. Some consider these utterances to be meaningless, others consider them to be a holy language.

Linguistics of Pentecostal glossolalia

William J. Samarin, a linguist from the University of Toronto, published a thorough assessment of Pentecostal glossolalia that became a classic work on its linguistic characteristics.[3] His assessment was based on a large sample of glossolalia recorded in public and private Christian meetings in Italy, Holland, Jamaica, Canada and the USA over the course of five years; his wide range included the Puerto Ricans of the Bronx, the Snake Handlers of the Appalachians, and Russian Molokan in Los Angeles.

Samarin found that glossolalic speech does resemble human language in some respects. The speaker uses accent, rhythm, intonation and pauses to break up the speech into distinct units. Each unit is itself made up of syllables, the syllables being formed from consonants and vowels taken from a language known to the speaker.

It is verbal behavior that consists of using a certain number of consonants and vowels[, ]in a limited number of syllables that in turn are organized into larger units that are taken apart and rearranged pseudogrammatically[, ]with variations in pitch, volume, speed and intensity.[4]

[Glossolalia] consists of strings of syllables, made up of sounds taken from all those that the speaker knows, put together more or less haphazardly but emerging nevertheless as word-like and sentence-like units because of realistic, language-like rhythm and melody.[5]

That the sounds are taken from the set of sounds already known to the speaker is confirmed by others: Felicitas Goodman found that the speech of glossolalists reflected the patterns of speech of the speaker's native language.[6]

Samarin found that the resemblance to human language was merely on the surface, and so concluded that glossolalia is "only a facade of language".[7] He reached this conclusion because the syllable string did not form words, the stream of speech was not internally organised, and – most importantly of all – there was no systematic relationship between units of speech and concepts. Humans use language to communicate, but glossolalia does not. Therefore he concluded that glossolalia is not "a specimen of human language because it is neither internally organized nor systematically related to the world man perceives".[7]

On the basis of his linguistic analysis, Samarin defined Pentecostal glossolalia as "meaningless but phonologically structured human utterance, believed by the speaker to be a real language but bearing no systematic resemblance to any natural language, living or dead".[8]

Practitioners of glossolalia may disagree with linguistic researchers and claim that they are speaking human languages (xenoglossia). For example Ralph Harris, in the work Spoken By the Spirit published by Radiant Life/GPH in 1973, describes seventy five occasions when glossolalic speech was understood by others. (Scientific research into such claims is documented in the article on xenoglossia.)

Comparative linguistics

Felicitas Goodman, a psychological anthropologist and linguist, studied a number of Pentecostal communities in the United States, Caribbean and Mexico; these included English, Spanish and Mayan speaking groups. She compared what she found with recordings of non-Christian rituals from Africa, Borneo, Indonesia and Japan. She took into account both the segmental structure (such as sounds, syllables, phrases) and the supra-segmental elements (rhythm, accent, intonation), and concluded that there was no distinction between what was practised by the Pentecostal Protestants and the followers of other religions.[9]
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 22, 2009
Learned behaviour

The material explanation arrived at by a number of studies is that glossolalia is "learned behavior".[15][19] What is taught is the ability to produce language-like speech. This is only a partial explanation, but it is a part that has withstood much testing. It is possible to train novices to produce glossolalic speech. One experiment with 60 undergraduates found that 20% succeeded after merely listening to a 60-second sample, and 70% succeeded after training:

Our findings that glossolalia can be easily learned through direct instruction, along with demonstrations that tongue speakers can initiate and terminate glossolalia upon request and can exhibit glossolalia in the absence of any indexes of trance[…] support the hypothesis that glossolalia utterances are goal-directed actions rather than involuntary happenings.[20]

That glossolalia can be learned is also seen in the traces left behind by teachers. An investigation by the Lutheran Medical Center in Brooklyn showed that the influence of a particular leader can shape a group's glossolalia: where certain prominent glossolalists had visited, whole groups of glossolalists would speak in his style of speech.[21]

However, certain sounds have been found to predominate throughout the world, irrespective of teachers. The word ‘shunda’ and its variations ‘shunder’, ‘shonder’ and ‘shindir’ are prominent in samples through the United States, Wales and New Zealand.[18]
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by hubreality(m): 12:24pm On Jul 22, 2009
Speaking in tongues is only real and of much value to the speaker not the hearer. There are more spiritual values attached. This very energy of the Spirit was even mocked and criticized by unbelievers of the same the very moment it was first made manifest by the Spirit. They even said they were drunk and mad people doing just that. I learnt over the years to keep focus of my mindset on the Word than critics. Why? There will always be social and religious critics.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 22, 2009
sley4life:

people fake it

Exactly the point.

Horus:

You are under the influence of 6 ether even if you are not aware of it.

When I inhale 6 ether for the first time, for how long does it last before it wears out?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Many Souls / It Is Very Wrong For A Woman To Lead The Church / How Did You Do Your Boxing Day?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.