Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

Speaking In Tongues? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues? (2375 Views)

Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaking In Tongues? by SeanT21(f): 7:37pm On Jul 04, 2009
Have U ever experienced it??

Speaking in tounges seems to be a big deal in African churches.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by MrCrackles(m): 7:42pm On Jul 04, 2009
Me thinks the whole speaking in tongues thing is a fraud! undecided
It is predominantly in African churches?
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by SeanT21(f): 7:52pm On Jul 04, 2009
MrCrackles:

Yes. In the states its mostly Africans that are doing the "Tongue Speaking." Go to churches in Liberia and come see all these members speaking in tongues and falling on the ground.Its freaking annoying when half of the church starts "speaking in tongues" and the rest of the members are just standing there confuse. The whole "speaking in tongues" session lasts for about 30 minutes to an hour.That is one things I hate about African churches.~~About it being fake or not, I cant say!!
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by MrCrackles(m): 7:59pm On Jul 04, 2009
SeanT21:

About it being fake or not, I cant say!!

That is the hardest bit which i cant get my head round. . . . .I kinna wonder what language they are speaking!
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by SeanT21(f): 8:01pm On Jul 04, 2009
MrCrackles:

That is the hardest bit which i cant get my head round. . . . .I kinna wonder what language they are speaking!

Same here!! wink
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by donchichi: 8:09pm On Jul 04, 2009
What i even find more ridiculous is someone telling me there are ppl who have the gift of speaking and those who have the gift of understanding. So hilarious!

Till today, i havent seen the person who can interprete what the speaker is saying.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jul 04, 2009
SeanT21:

Have U ever experienced it??

Speaking in tounges seems to be a big deal in African churches.

You've got the wrong perspective. Speaking in tongues isn't the way most churches around make it seem. It's not a trance. It's something people can do at will. Not everyone though.

MrCrackles:

I'm assuming you're a Christian. Speaking in tongues isn't a fraud. And it isn't only in African churches. It's a very scriptural thing. The first few chapters of the Acts of the Apostles, 1 Corinthians 14.

SeanT21:

Yes. In the states its mostly Africans that are doing the "Tongue Speaking." Go to churches in Liberia and come see all these members speaking in tongues and falling on the ground.Its freaking annoying when half of the church starts "speaking in tongues" and the rest of the members are just standing there confuse. The whole "speaking in tongues" session lasts for about 30 minutes to an hour.That is one things I hate about African churches.~~About it being fake or not, I cant say!!

There are fake tongues, all right. But don't let that make you think that all tongues are fake. Definitely not. Speaking in tongues is reserved for people who have had a baptism in the Holy Spirit. The Bible says:

"And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." - Acts 2:4

It's important to note that even though the Holy Spirit didn't speak, He gave utterance. That's how it works - He gives utterance, and you speak it out. There are people who resist it, and there are people who expect to fall into a trance and start to babble things uncontrollably. It doesn't work like that, even though that's the picture a lot of people paint. When people expect to fall into a trance and have their lips controlled by some invisible force, they NEVER speak in tongues.

MrCrackles:

Sometimes it happens that they're speaking a language people know. Read acts 2:7-11.

Sometimes you're not supposed to understand it. 1Corinthians 14:2 says:

"For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

donchichi:

What i even find more ridiculous is someone telling me there are ppl who have the gift of speaking and those who have the gift of understanding. So hilarious!

Till today, i havent seen the person who can interprete what the speaker is saying.

1 Corinthians 12:8 - 10 says:

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom, to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit.

9 To another faith by the same Spirit, to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues.

The fact that you haven't met one doesn't mean one doesn't exist. But note that here the Bible is talking about ministry gifts.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by MrCrackles(m): 8:19pm On Jul 04, 2009
donchichi:

Exactly
I dont understand why some people can speak in tongues and some cant!
Interpretation is another thing, no one can explain to you what the murmur or ramble on about, but instead they beat about the bush! grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 04, 2009
Read my previous post.

Not everyone has the gift of interpretation. If that was true, then 1 Corinthians 14:2 would be negated.

If someone is beating about the bush, they probably don't have the gift of interpretation. Some people may wrongly think they do. People who have it [B]HAVE IT[/b] and when they're interpreting, it's no guesswork. But people who interpret are usually people in ministry.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Tudor6(f): 8:40pm On Jul 04, 2009
Speaking in tonges? ??
What a load of crap!
People speak utter gibberish and deceive themselves into believing they're speaking "heavenly language" - if indeed its "heavenly language" they speak then heaven is most certainly populated by lunatics and imbeciles. . . .
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by funkygirl: 8:49pm On Jul 04, 2009
why dont u let God judge instead of u speaking for him. if u know what u are saying is right, then go ahead. leave others alone to God and their conscience. so watch it
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 04, 2009
funkygirl:

why dont u let God judge instead of u speaking for him. if u know what u are saying is right, then go ahead. leave others alone to God and their conscience. so watch it

You have only 2 posts. It seems to me that you're new on Nairaland. Welcome. Here's something I'm sure you don't know - Tudor is an atheist. So your post above was complete nonsense to him, as much as every post that makes reference to God.

@Tudor
This is a thread for Christians. Self-respect should make you stay away. We're not arguing with you guys - we're exhorting ourselves.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Tudor6(f): 9:03pm On Jul 04, 2009
What are you talking about?
Speaking in tongues affects me too. . . .when people blatter absolute gibberish like chimpanzees over loudspeakers and on T.V, It pretty much becomes my business. . .

P. S: Mr crackles is no christian, i don't see you picking issues with him. Does christianity teach partiality?
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 04, 2009
First, MrCrackles mentioned something he didn't understand, and I explained. He didn't come here and insult anybody. I picked issues with you because you insulted, not because you're not a Christian.

Second, when you turn on the TV, and you see someone "blathering absolute gibberish", just change the channel. I'm sure you're not interested in people speaking in tongues. Same thing goes for seeing a thread about tongues. Just go elsewhere.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by funkygirl: 9:13pm On Jul 04, 2009
eya what a pity. that is all i have to say. get out
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Tudor6(f): 9:19pm On Jul 04, 2009
Mactao, see how you just open your mouth and shit pours out. . . .WHERE IN THIS THREAD DID I INSULT SOMEONE YOU LIAR!
Just the way christians (at least some) see sexually explicit content on T.V and change the channel, but that doesn't stop them from airing their displeasure. . .
I entered this thread coz i wanted to air my opinion and i did just that. . .whats your beef?
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by MrCrackles(m): 9:28pm On Jul 04, 2009
mactao:

I'm assuming you're a Christian. Speaking in tongues isn't a fraud. And it isn't only in African churches. It's a very scriptural thing. The first few chapters of the Acts of the Apostles, 1 Corinthians 14.

I get your point dude. . . . . wink
Can you speak in tongues BT.W tongue
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 04, 2009
Christians believe what the Bible says. The Bible supports speaking in tongues. You come here and call speaking in tongues "a load of crap" and "utter gibberish". If those aren't insults, I wonder what is.

You said "heaven must be populated by lunatics and imbeciles". Heaven is the place Christians aspire to go. By all these things, don't you think you've insulted Christianity?

@MrCrackles

Yes, I do speak in tongues.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Tudor6(f): 9:52pm On Jul 04, 2009
Now tell me. . . Is your name christianity? No personal insult was directed at anyone whats your problem?.I aired my opinion as i'am entitled to and if you feel burned then thats your problem.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jul 04, 2009
Isn't it common sense that when you insult Christianity, you're insulting Christians? When you imply that we're aspiring to go to a place that's populated by lunatics and imbeciles, don't you think you're insulting us? When you say that our values include encouraging the blathering of gibberish don't you think you're insulting us?

If you don't think so, then fine, I rest my case. My values aren't based on yours anyway. But I know that you know the truth.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Tudor6(f): 10:26pm On Jul 04, 2009
Please spare me the B.S!
When your bible calls atheists fools is that not an insult?
When you christians call other gods demons or false is that not an insult to other religions?
You call us unbelievers and condemn us to hell that is an insult.

You think christians are the only ones allowed to criticize other faiths?. . .
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jul 04, 2009
The very basics of one religion condemn another. We all know that. It's unnecessary you come here and write all the things you write. I take it you're an adult?

I already rested my case. What more do you want?
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Tudor6(f): 10:42pm On Jul 04, 2009
Then why are you chastising me for saying what i believe?. . .Cut the damn HYPOCRISY!!
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 04, 2009
Don't swear, it's impolite. I'm chastising you for a reason I wrote in my previous post - did you read it?

I'm ignoring you from here. This is supposed to be a thread on speaking in tongues, not what an atheist believes. Have a wonderful night.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Tudor6(f): 10:59pm On Jul 04, 2009
It's actually early morning thank you.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by SeanT21(f): 1:25am On Jul 05, 2009
Can we stick to the topic please!! wink

mactao:

Christians believe what the Bible says. The Bible supports speaking in tongues. You come here and call speaking in tongues "a load of crap" and "utter gibberish". If those aren't insults, I wonder what is.

You said "heaven must be populated by lunatics and imbeciles". Heaven is the place Christians aspire to go. By all these things, don't you think you've insulted Christianity?

@MrCrackles

Yes, I do speak in tongues.

How does it feel?? Do U control what u say??
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by sleek29(m): 1:41pm On Jul 06, 2009
its like you praying in a known tongue one moment and the next moment it changes to an unknown tongue, u need to have the Holy Spirit to understand what i'm saying.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by SeanT21(f): 10:57pm On Jul 06, 2009
sleek29:

its like you praying in a known tongue one moment and the next moment it changes to an unknown tongue, u need to have the Holy Spirit to understand what i'm saying.

Definitely.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 07, 2009
SeanT21:

Can we stick to the topic please!! wink

How does it feel?? Do U control what u say??

First of all, sorry I've been away for so long.

You start speaking in tongues after getting baptised in the Holy Spirit. The moment when I got baptised, I spoke just one word. Some people have different experiences, it all depends. One of the things that hampers people's speaking in tongues is that they have this inner critic that tells them they're saying rubbish. It happened to me too. It just happens that some people can resist that critic more than others.

I wasn't fluent when I first got baptised. I was receiving - that's the only way I can describe it - and then speaking out. After some time, if you persist, you then flow, and there's no time gap between receiving and speaking.

Note - not everyone's experience is so. I had a pastor pray for me and then I got baptised. I've read about someone who said the prayer by himself and then for the next hour and a half, he spoke and sang in tongues. Here's the thing - if you're stammering, don't worry.

It does happen also that you speak in tongues continuously for some time, and then all of a sudden there's this gusher within you that keeps flowing and then you can't stop. Usually, you can start and stop speaking when you please, but if you pray in tongues continuously for a period of time, the Holy Spirit then seizes you in the way a lot of people expect themselves to start out, and you start to speak uncontrollably. This might happen after an hour, and then if you keep at it, forty five minutes, and then the time begins to reduce before you break into "anointed" tongues. Note - all of this is actually fellowship with the Holy Spirit. It's at levels like this that people's shadows heal, and their handkerchiefs do wonders. It's all because of the fellowship with the Holy Spirit and the presence of God that they've enjoyed for a long time.

Speaking in tongues isn't trance-like. AT ALL. Get rid of that impression.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by horse703: 9:52pm On Jul 07, 2009
first of all mactao y r u worried about tudor insulting us dont be bothered there is no way tudor can insult us, we are far above insults please know that, so whatever he says doesnt add or subtract anything from the facts of the gospel remember that. tudor my boy please what is your whole misssion? are u trying to convert people into whatever u worship or what? i really dont get u explain
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by SeanT21(f): 10:05pm On Jul 07, 2009
mactao:

First of all, sorry I've been away for so long.

You start speaking in tongues after getting baptised in the Holy Spirit. The moment when I got baptised, I spoke just one word. Some people have different experiences, it all depends. One of the things that hampers people's speaking in tongues is that they have this inner critic that tells them they're saying rubbish. It happened to me too. It just happens that some people can resist that critic more than others.

I wasn't fluent when I first got baptised. I was receiving - that's the only way I can describe it - and then speaking out. After some time, if you persist, you then flow, and there's no time gap between receiving and speaking.

Note - not everyone's experience is so. I had a pastor pray for me and then I got baptised. I've read about someone who said the prayer by himself and then for the next hour and a half, he spoke and sang in tongues. Here's the thing - if you're stammering, don't worry.

It does happen also that you speak in tongues continuously for some time, and then all of a sudden there's this gusher within you that keeps flowing and then you can't stop. Usually, you can start and stop speaking when you please, but if you pray in tongues continuously for a period of time, the Holy Spirit then seizes you in the way a lot of people expect themselves to start out, and you start to speak uncontrollably. This might happen after an hour, and then if you keep at it, forty five minutes, and then the time begins to reduce before you break into "anointed" tongues. Note - all of this is actually fellowship with the Holy Spirit. It's at levels like this that people's shadows heal, and their handkerchiefs do wonders. It's all because of the fellowship with the Holy Spirit and the presence of God that they've enjoyed for a long time.

Speaking in tongues isn't trance-like. AT ALL. Get rid of that impression.

Thank U very much for that wonderful insight. wink

Do U think speaking in Tongues in church needs to be stopped??Especially when half of the church do not have any idea whats going on.
Re: Speaking In Tongues? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 07, 2009
No, speaking in tongues shouldn't be stopped. People need to know what it is and what it's not, that's just it. People need to know that it's meant for people who have received the Holy Ghost, not just anybody.

Jude 20
20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Praying in tongues, also written severally as praying in the Holy Ghost, helps your faith.

Jn 4:24
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Worshiping in spirit actually means worshiping in the heavenly language.

1 Co 14:4
4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

[B]The "but" written there does not mean that speaking in tongues is bad. Every time someone prays in tongues, they're increasing themselves spiritually.[/b]

1 Co 14:39
39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

I believe the above scripture there speaks for itself. FORBIT NOT TO SPEAK WITH TONGUES.[/B]

1 Co 14:23
23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

[b]Lastly, it's normal for people to yarn dust. It's scriptures like this that I keep at the back of my mind when atheists and muslims write a lot of the things they write. Their reactions aren't unexpected for a Christian that reads the Bible.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yobe State Is Boiling,christains Under Attack? / Religious People Are The Most Wicked Of All Mankind / Why Has Christianity Failed Among The Jews?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.