Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,711 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically (33748 Views)

Piano/keyboard Lesson / How Well Arranged Or How Beautiful Is Your Smartphone Homepage? / Olamide Teaching Is Son How To Play Keyboard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by Pr0ton: 7:28am On Feb 10, 2016
The QWERTY layout was devised and created in the early 1870s by Christopher Latham Sholes, a newspaper editor and printer who lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In October 1867, Sholes filed a patent application for his early writing machine he developed with the assistance of his friends Carlos Glidden and Samuel W. Soulé. The first model constructed by Sholes used a piano-like keyboard with two rows of characters arranged alphabetically as follows:

3 5 7 9 N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 2 4 6 8 . A B C D E F G H I J K L M

The construction of the "Type Writer" had two flaws that made the product susceptible to jams. Firstly, characters were mounted on metal arms or type bars, which would clash and jam if neighboring arms were pressed at the same time or in rapid succession. Secondly, its printing point was located beneath the paper carriage, invisible to the operator, a so-called "up-stroke" design. Consequently, jams were especially serious, because the typist could only discover the mishap by raising the carriage to inspect what had been typed. The solution was to place commonly used letter-pairs (like "th" or "st"wink so that their typebars were not neighboring, avoiding jams. [citation needed] Contrary to popular belief, the QWERTY layout was not designed to slow the typist down, but rather to speed up typing by preventing jams. Indeed, there is evidence that, aside from the issue of jamming, placing often-used keys farther apart increases typing speed, because it encourages alternation between the hands. There is another origin story in the Smithsonian that the qwerty keyboard was made for telegraph operators and has this layout to make it easy for the telegraph operator to work. (On the other hand, in the German keyboard the Z has been moved between the T and the U to help type the frequent bigraphs TZ and ZU in that language.) Almost every word in the English language contains at least one vowel letter, but on the QWERTY keyboard only the vowel letter "A" is located on the home row, which requires the typist's fingers to leave the home row for most words.

Properties

Alternating hands while typing is a desirable trait in a keyboard design. While one hand types a letter, the other hand can prepare to type the next letter, making the process faster and more efficient. However, when a string of letters is typed with the same hand, the chances of stuttering [clarification needed] are increased and a rhythm can be broken, thus decreasing speed and increasing errors and fatigue. In the QWERTY layout many more words can be spelled using only the left hand than the right hand. In fact, thousands of English words can be spelled using only the left hand, while only a couple of hundred words can be typed using only the right hand (the three most frequent letters in the English language, ETA, are all typed with the left hand). In addition, more typing strokes are done with the left hand in the QWERTY layout. This is helpful for left-handed people but to the disadvantage of right-handed people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C2279033909

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by INTROVERT(f): 7:29am On Feb 10, 2016
Educative....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by Orezy5(m): 7:34am On Feb 10, 2016
Insightful

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by Jboyossai(m): 8:03am On Feb 10, 2016
Nice one

1 Like

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 8:27am On Feb 10, 2016
cool

1 Like

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by johnydon22(m): 9:01am On Feb 10, 2016
The key pad is called "qwerty" keypad because the first 6 letters from the first row is "QWERTY"...

Seriously that keypad is the best, it would have been quite slow and boring if they were in alphabetical order..

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by Dekatron(m): 9:31am On Feb 10, 2016
Is it hereditary?

Oyibo kids dey always type very fast. Me wey don dey use PC everyday and type for some time now still dey stutter and look at my keyboard. Abi na film trick? Na only me observe that thing?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by Corn99(m): 10:03am On Feb 10, 2016
Dekatron:
Is it hereditary?

Oyibo kids dey always type very fast. Me wey don dey use PC everyday and type for some time now still dey stutter and look at my keyboard. Abi na film trick? Na only me observe that thing?
na true o :>

2 Likes

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by Nobody: 10:10am On Feb 10, 2016
It was invented to slow down typist fortunately it became the standard PC keyboard when apple and other PC manufacturer adopted it.
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 10, 2016
Dekatron:
Is it hereditary?

tap the right key with the right finger for six months yu go know say no be magic or film trick.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by MrDoGood(m): 11:36am On Feb 10, 2016
Is that so?
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by mckenzieRx: 11:40am On Feb 10, 2016
Thanks for the eye opener! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by egopersonified(f): 11:40am On Feb 10, 2016
I can already imagine one of my kids asking me this question, answer filed for future reference, thanks op.

2 Likes

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by MilesLamar(m): 11:47am On Feb 10, 2016
Where is that boy, bia lalasticala come n wash my motor angry grin

2 Likes

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by eldino44(m): 11:54am On Feb 10, 2016
Pr0ton:

OP are u a free thinker I can see ur thread about Trinity and also ur d.p

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by bastien: 12:01pm On Feb 10, 2016
Even with the qwerty keypad I'm still fast

I even dey talk to my boss as I tap the is post
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by SporaD8: 12:23pm On Feb 10, 2016
I bin dey ask this question since jss in biz study. My teacher then be like "oya touch the shift key first!" As I never sabi, teacher say "Na only easy easy thing dey they sweet you, why you no go complain say oyibo scatter keyboard for your face!"
That time even typewriter na latest gadget o!

1 Like

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by brunofarad(m): 12:30pm On Feb 10, 2016
Interesting......
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by ngmgeek(m): 12:31pm On Feb 10, 2016
Ok
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by tolexy007(m): 12:32pm On Feb 10, 2016
Oyinbo get sense sa..
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by techmart(m): 12:33pm On Feb 10, 2016
cool
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by mmsen: 12:33pm On Feb 10, 2016
Dekatron:
Is it hereditary?

Utter nonsense.

You learn by practice.
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by Nobody: 12:36pm On Feb 10, 2016
Huh
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by surestakes: 12:37pm On Feb 10, 2016
Educative
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by cirmuell(m): 12:37pm On Feb 10, 2016
mckenzieRx:
Thanks for the eye opener! grin grin grin
your eye dey glued before?

1 Like

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by frisky2good(m): 12:39pm On Feb 10, 2016
You type slowly because you probably did not learn typing. Using a PC and typing are two different things. If you learn typing for one month, you will be amazed at how fast you will start typing.

Dekatron:
Is it hereditary?

Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by herboshedhe(f): 12:40pm On Feb 10, 2016
Eye opening

Check my signature please
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by echoedwalls: 12:40pm On Feb 10, 2016
Thanks for the info.
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 10, 2016
How d qwerty keypad take form e no concern me..:/
My own be say I fit type wetin I want whether qwerty or Abcdef grin

Asin On top the Marra.. D qwerty keypad good sha cos pple don dey easily use am Geh money grin
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by Segadem(m): 12:45pm On Feb 10, 2016
ok
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by micfoley: 12:48pm On Feb 10, 2016
Interesting
Re: See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically by Nobody: 12:51pm On Feb 10, 2016
Who's proficient a typing fast? I'm way too slow for a guy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

MTN Foundation Scholarship Scheme For Undergraduates 2019 / FG Increases Salaries Of Tertiary Institutions’ Staff By 35% And 23% / Ransome Kuti Memorial Grammar School 1988 Set Celebrates 35th Years Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.