Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,446 members, 7,846,852 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 04:03 AM

From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport (1246 Views)

Pregnant Woman Delivers At Lagos BusStop (pic) / My Husband Beat Me Up And L Collapsed. / Parents Bribed Their Teens Kids With Cocaine To Get Them To Do Chores (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by whatalife: 5:24am On Jul 05, 2009
From Brazil with Cocaine: How a dream wedding collapsed at Lagos airport
Written by Shehu Abubakar, who was in Lagos
A middle-aged newly wedded Ngozi, who travelled all the way from Uga in Anambra State, in company of her friends and relations to receive her groom who arrived the country from Brazil collapsed and fainted at the arrival hall of the Murtala Mohammed International airport, Lagos when she saw that fierce- looking operatives of the National Drugs Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) had grabbed her husband and dragged him to a secluded area of the airport.

Ezennia Christian Okwui, 39, had arrived the airport aboard a South African airline from Brazil only to be arrested by NDLEA operatives shortly after the screening machine had raised an alarm, indicating that Okwui might be carrying something the machine did not approve of. Efforts by the lady to welcome her groom were frustrated by the operatives who led him away into their search room for further scrutiny.

But Ngozi could not hold herself as she broke down in tears when she was told that 53 grams of cocaine were found in the canvass of her newly wedded husband. She immediately collapsed and fainted when Okwui, now in handcuffs and held on both sides of his trousers, was brought out of the screening room and taken to where he was to be detained while his case was being investigated.

When the lady was revived, she told Sunday Trust that her disappointing experience was the handiwork of her detractors back at home. “People are wicked. I know some people do not want me to travel out. They do not want me to progress at all. The wicked ones are at work again! My people warned me not to let anybody know that Ezennia was coming to take me to Brazil, but I did not adhere to the advice. Look at what is happening now!

“Ezennia and I agreed that I should organise a reception for him. The reception was to take place in the village tomorrow. Everybody knows we are travelling to Brazil together next week. I know some people do not like it and they must do everything to scuttle the plans. We have already bought drinks and invited drummers. The stage is set for the reception. See what our enemies are doing now to disgrace me,” she cried.

Ngozi said she had already printed cards and distributed to her friends, including the students of Nnamdi Azikwe University, Awka in Anambra State from where she graduated. She said she had hinged her hope of making it in life on her husband. She said she had already obtained an international passport in readiness for the trip.

But Okwui, who said he had lived in Brazil for over seven years, alleged that his Brazilian girlfriend with whom he had lived, was responsible for his ordeal. He admitted that he had earlier promised to marry her but later decided to marry a Nigerian (Ngozi), a development that made the Brazilian lady very angry, and threatened to deal with him.

“I strongly suspect my Brazilian girlfriend whom I did not marry to be responsible for my ordeal. She sent hoodlums to attack me in my house in Brazil but I escaped. I am sure she was the one that leaked the information to the authorities that I always travel with drugs and that information was communicated to the NDLEA who set up this trap for me. I am sure she is the one that planned this against me,” he said.

Okwui said he came to Nigeria to take his bride to Sao Paulo where he lived. According to him he was in jewellery trade and owned two shops in Brazil. Okwui claimed to have a valid residence permit in Brazil, thanks to his Brazilian girlfriend.

But the NDLEA Commander at the Lagos airport, Mr. Victor Cole-Showers, who was not categorical on whether the agency was actually hinted by any foreign partner on the movement and activities of Okwui. He said the agency possessed the latest model machine for detecting illicit drugs. It was donated to it by the United States government.

He said Okwui would be charged to court as soon as undercover agents of the agency concluded their investigations on the suspect. He said Okwui was helping the agency with useful information on global illicit drug business.

The Public Relations Officer (PRO) of NDLEA, Mr Mitchell Ofuyeju, said there were clear indications that Okwui was a habitual drug peddler who must explain to the agency his past deeds. He said the agency would be interested in knowing his contacts in Nigeria.

But Miss Augustina Onyeakusi, who was with Ngozi at the airport told Sunday Trust that neither the bride nor herself knew that Okwui had anything to do with drugs. “I know that he visits Nigeria from time to time and whenever he comes Ngozi would invite me to go and see him. He is a nice guy, he is so caring. I just hope they will let him go.

“I am sure Ngozi is so worried because she doesn’t know how to explain to the crowd waiting for us at home that we could not return home with Okwui. You know, when we were leaving home, it was like we were going to come back with the only man of the society. All the boys and girls, and even the elders are there waiting to see our arrival and how the ceremony goes,” she said.

Efforts by the bride and her acquintances to confer with the suspect were frustrated by NDLEA operatives. The bride was prevented from seeing her groom on the excuse that Okwui was writing a voluntary statement to the agency, hence he must not be obstructed. It was not clear if the bride succeeded in seeing her detained groom before leaving Lagos for the village.

http://www.sunday.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=516:from-brazil-with-cocaine-how-a-dream-wedding-collapsed-at-lagos-airport&catid=41:latest-news&Itemid=26
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by ifyalways(f): 11:33am On Jul 05, 2009
One bird caged,One less up the sky.
@Topic,Ngozi's story is really pathetic,blaming others for her hubbys arrest shocked
She shld just go home and lick her wounds.
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by theolar: 12:50pm On Jul 05, 2009
Ngozi is not intouch wit reality blamin unseen pple 4 her predicament. Shld her lucky stars she wasnt married to him and gotten herself in his line of biz.
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by chykeo(m): 9:24pm On Jul 05, 2009
Okwui's options were clear. He knew the implications and consequences of his trade. It is no wonder to him what he is going through. Ngozi should take heart. My boyfriend dey abroad but no one knows wetin im dey do. I feel for Ngozi though
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by MrCrackles(m): 9:29pm On Jul 05, 2009
I am sure the dude knows a lot more about the drugs. . . .
The chick called Ngozi should shut the fuc.k up and quit blaming others for her predicament!
Na she wey dem go first promise to carry go Brazil grin cheesy
Lock up the bloodclat till the truth comes out
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by noetic2: 9:35pm On Jul 05, 2009
MrCrackles:

I am sure the dude knows a lot more about the drugs. . . .
The chick called Ngozi should shut the fuc.k up and quit blaming others for her predicament!
Na she wey dem go first promise to carry go Brazil grin cheesy
Lock up the bloodclat till the truth comes out

Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by MrCrackles(m): 9:38pm On Jul 05, 2009
noetic2:

What? angry
Stay right in the fucking religious threads. . . . . . And do us a favour, dont quote me again!
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by noetic2: 9:39pm On Jul 05, 2009
MrCrackles:

What? angry
Stay right in the religious threads. . . . . . And do us a favour, dont quote me again!

grin grin grin

I would appreciate it if u return the favour and NEVER quote me again.
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 05, 2009
they both got what the deserve. he for being a drug/death dealer and she for marrying someone that she didnt truly know.
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by dominique(f): 11:25pm On Jul 05, 2009
Chillax MrCrackles wink
The bride is just pathetic. . .though i feel sorry for her. what the heck is blaming the enemies for? did the enemies make her husband peddle drugs or did they make him fool around with d Brazilian babe. She should consider herself lucky that she didn't get arrested as an accomplice instead of pointing fingers at the wrong people.
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by Outstrip(f): 1:51am On Jul 06, 2009
Trust Nigerians. No responsibility for their actions. "The devil made me do it"
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by sosisi(f): 1:51am On Jul 06, 2009
To be very honest,anything is possible in Nigeria
While that may not be the case here but those airport security are capable of planting anything and nabbing whomever they will when money changes hands.

Just pray that you are no where on the streets when they have to arrest somebody to solve a crime,they'll shoot you down,comot ya shirt,pull down your pants and place guns at your side for a picture.That's our Nigerian police force.
Who knows how many people they have terminated in that way.
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by samparian(m): 4:30am On Jul 06, 2009
@$0sisi
nobody planted anything on the guy at Murtala.
all the planting and packaging was done in Brazil. grin
If the guy is really into drugs, he MUST be a fool to have put it in his canvass. very stupid indeed.
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by samparian(m): 4:44am On Jul 06, 2009
All flights coming into Lagos from drug producing countries such as India, Pakistan, thailand, Brazil, Columbia, Nepal, Veitnam, etc are under serious scrutiny.
The passengers are always checked and rechecked for drugs either ingested or packaged and hiden.
A friend of mine who imports some items from India, says he is always scanned each time he arrives from India.

some years ago, i had arrived Lagos aboard ethiopian airways from Hong Kong. we had a brief transit in thailand where we picked up more lagos bound passengers. on arrival at Lagos, the NDLEA operatives seperated passengers from hong kong and detained the ones from Thailand. They just checked my passport and saw i was returning from Hong kong and asked me to go.
the passengers from thailand had their luggages seriously checked and they(passengers) were subjected to Xrays.
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by emilyone(f): 1:13pm On Jul 06, 2009
am sure dat was not his first time of conceiling such thing in his canvas

but quite unfortunate dat he was caught

everyday 4 the thief 1 day 4 the owner
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by Ilelobola: 2:34pm On Jul 06, 2009
I agree he should be punished for bringing drugs into the country but surely 53g of whatever is not really newsworthy IMO.
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by ifyalways(f): 5:26pm On Jul 06, 2009
abeg lets not make pathetic excuses and start blaming or pointing fingers like Ngozi
Okwui is clearly a drug peddlar. . .he even admitted that.He shld have known as a "packaging bird" that sonner or later he wud get caught esp since he had a misunderstanding with the Brazillian GF who knows whats up. . .one wud have expected him to be extra careful or change his mode of operating.
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by iniguy(m): 6:44pm On Jul 06, 2009
That dude knows more about the drugs than he's telling. Ngozi shld count herself lucky though its heartrending. though
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by ayomifull(f): 7:50pm On Jul 06, 2009
i thought they only take drugs out of Nigeria for money not bring in, is there something i dont know?
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by ifyalways(f): 7:53pm On Jul 06, 2009
ayomifull:

i thought they only take drugs out of Nigeria for money not bring in, is there something i dont know?
Rofl.
No sweetie,They bring in drugs fromcountries like Brazil,Columbia,Pakistan into 9ja and most african countries.
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by MrCrackles(m): 7:54pm On Jul 06, 2009
$osisi:

To be very honest,anything is possible in Nigeria
While that may not be the case here but those airport security are capable of planting anything and nabbing whomever they will when money changes hands.

True. . . . But i doubt this story being a set up! grin
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by Fhemmmy: 8:22pm On Jul 06, 2009
People will never owe up to their stupidity, always looking for people to point their dirty fingers at
Re: From Brazil With Cocaine: How A Dream Wedding Collapsed At Lagos Airport by Igwe9(m): 10:09pm On Jul 06, 2009
Eww! it's a pity!

(1) (Reply)

What Will U Do? / Parents,are There Worse Things In Life Than A Bad Report Card? / Am Married But In Love With A Girl -how Do I Get Rid Of Her?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.