Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. (15031 Views)

Why do some Somalians seem to have an Overinflated Sense Of Ego? / Is 'akata' Part Of Your Vocabulary? / Lost In America, Akata In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by na2day2(m): 7:53pm On Jul 22, 2009
savanaha:

Thank God for SOME because there are still the idiotic ones where stupidity is encoded in there genome. I remember going to Ghana with some a study abroad and their behavior was altogether incredulous. I remember having to check them a couple of times. This past school year I had to check one idiot for making fun of people with accents, as if his voice was heavenly. Imbecilic akatas!

i know right, they come up and say u have an accent (white folks do this also) and i will be like, yes i know, i love to be like u that dont have an accent tongue tongue
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by ezeagu(m): 7:54pm On Jul 22, 2009
chiogo:

Umm, speak for yourself. I've never used the word, 'Akata' before. I've only typed it on threads here on nairaland.

Is it not obvious that I meant Nigerians for the most part, and not only Yoruba people, not every single Nigerian that ever lived? You don't use it? nice, good.  grin, okay? and:

chiogo:

And about Igbos calling anyone black in the diaspora 'igbo', where did you get that from?  

An. . . . . . . observation . . . . .
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by ezeagu(m): 7:57pm On Jul 22, 2009
savanaha:

Imbecilic akatas!

Hmm, 'Akata' seems to be a nice word after all . . . . . . .
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by na2day2(m): 8:13pm On Jul 22, 2009
ezeagu:

confused again? slowpoke is the word that is not nice, akata remains the same, therefore slowpoke is a qualifying word for akata according to the person's perspective, just like i can say lovely akata. any1 can still say slowpoke AAs! does that make AA a terrible word?

1 Like

Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by ezeagu(m): 8:26pm On Jul 22, 2009
na2day?:

confused again? slowpoke is the word that is not nice, akata remains the same, therefore slowpoke is a qualifying word for akata according to the person's perspective, just like i can say lovely akata. any1 can still say slowpoke AAs! does that make AA a terrible word?

As oyinda. put it:

oyinda.:

akata is used in positive ways too. just that most of the time it's negative. since AAs and africans don't like each other much

Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by oyinda3(f): 9:41pm On Jul 22, 2009
yea na2day just affirmed what i said. lol
will u say "african american" is a nice word? imo it's just a word.lol neither nice nor mean.

just as you can say "that nice akata fellow" you can also say "that imbecilic akata" just the latter will be said more often than the first since most akatas usually display imbecilic characteristics more often than not (not in my own personal experience though)

i'm sure AAs say a lot of mean things about us as well. but who cares? really lol

luckily for me, the akata people that i know and interact with are very intelligent. we don't have too much in common (cultural differences lol) but i still respect them very much.
my only bad experience was with the ghetto ones in middle school and randomly at the bus stop.

but i agree with u, ezeagu, though that if it's used negatively repeatedly after a while, it will  eventually become a bad word. lol
ex most words used to refer to black people are now considered bad words. simply because blacks are most often referred to in a negative way!! so the word eventually turns bad. 
who knows, 60 years from now AA might become a racist word.  undecided negro has almost become a bad word and negro isn't even bad!! it's like saying Caucasian.
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by savanaha: 10:25pm On Jul 22, 2009
ezeagu:

In that context does it really seem to you like a nice word? Like some have said depending on the context it is used it can be nice or not nice. Depending on the context!!
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by queentayo: 9:37pm On Jul 27, 2009
Hmmm-----------------------------very sensitive

What else can i say

Am absolutely sure 90% of Nigerians who call you or other AAs Akata do not mean it as a derogatory term.
A (brother)/Nigerian who lives abroad and has been away from home for long is an Akata, the meaning is just as simple as that
You could be named 'Alex' which is not bad i suppose, but the tone and facial expression used to pronounce that same 'Alex' at another time could be seen/interpreated as derogatory/annoying

However i am of the opinion that if you call someone a name he does not like, you may as well STOP calling that person by that name.

That said you need to educate your folks as well, they use derogatory terms on us and your manner of presenting this complaint has bn quite judgemental, you have put both the good and the bad together as if nothing good can come out or be said of west africans

That just goes to show you are no better than those who might have meant the term in a derogatory manner

I Suggest we STOP referring to AA as Akata if its generally percieved as derogatory amongst them.

1 Like

Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by ezeagu(m): 10:22pm On Jul 27, 2009
queentayo:

Hmmm-----------------------------very sensitive

What else can i say

Am absolutely sure 90% of Nigerians who call you or other AAs Akata do not mean it as a derogatory term.
A (brother)/Nigerian who lives abroad and has been away from home for long is an Akata, the meaning is just as simple as that
You could be named 'Alex' which is not bad i suppose, but the tone and facial expression used to pronounce that same 'Alex' at another time could be seen/interpreated as derogatory/annoying

However i am of the opinion that if you call someone a name he does not like, you may as well STOP calling that person by that name.

That said you need to educate your folks as well, they use derogatory terms on us and your manner of presenting this complaint has bn quite judgemental, you have put both the good and the bad together as if nothing good can come out or be said of west africans

That just goes to show you are no better than those who might have meant the term in a derogatory manner

I Suggest we STOP referring to AA as Akata if its generally percieved as derogatory amongst them.

I'm not African American.

I was replying to the original post until someone started challenging my opinion, so I was defending my own side of the argument, I don't understand how you can say "you have put both the good and the bad together as if nothing good can come out or be said of west africans" This cannot even apply to me because I said nothing of the sort, what is the good and bad I put together? I was addressing the derogatory tone to the word Akata, after all the people that were challenging me have now acknowledged this.
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by queentayo: 10:33pm On Jul 27, 2009
@ezeagu
My apologies. NO phrase or sentence in my MAIL was Directed or aimed At YOU.
I guess i should have made it clearer.
My mail was in responce to Rajaldi initial 1st or 2nd post the author/originator of this thread and pple that take pleasure in mocking/laughing AT others and not WITH others

1 Like

Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by proudAkata(f): 6:45pm On Aug 06, 2009
I am aware of this term and it doesn't offend me. My friend explained to me long ago. I feel no need to take offence, see my name?
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by Nobody: 7:05pm On Aug 06, 2009
proudAkata:

I am aware of this term and it doesn't offend me. My friend explained to me long ago. I feel no need to take offence, see my name?
Nice pix, akata. But why did you shave off your eyebrows?

1 Like

Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by proudAkata(f): 7:08pm On Aug 06, 2009
grin Pure HABIT! Once you start its hard to stop! I have to be careful how I drow them back on! grin
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 06, 2009
You know its going to grow more bushier, right?

I don't understand why people shave it off. . . well it fits some and not others sha tongue
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by proudAkata(f): 7:25pm On Aug 06, 2009
Well I never really had any. I mean I have some but not really enough to arch. And I got tired of tweezing and trying to give them shape so I said forget it and this is the result. smiley
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 06, 2009
tweezing?! Ouch
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by oyinda3(f): 11:15pm On Aug 06, 2009
@akata, it's cute. i dunno what it looks like before so i can't really judge
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by ChinenyeN(m): 11:34pm On Aug 06, 2009
FL Gators:

Nice pix, akata.
More like nice face. The picture, in my opinion, doesn't do her any justice.

Anyway, proudAkata, what did your friend tell you? What was his/her explanation?
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by Nobody: 11:37pm On Aug 06, 2009
So Chineneye is also in NC. No wonder grin
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by Outstrip(f): 7:54pm On Aug 07, 2009
Am I the only one that knows that Akata is a bad word. Quite a few of my yoruba friends have told me that it means wild beast. It is literally translated from the yoruba language but originated from Yoruba's living in the US. I do not want to get insults based on this but I have been told that time and time again. My family and I do not use the word and I am simply not comfortable with people using it around me

1 Like

Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by na2day2(m): 9:07pm On Aug 07, 2009
Outstrip:

Am I the only one that knows that Akata is a bad word. Quite a few of my yoruba friends have told me that it means wild beast. It is literally translated from the yoruba language but originated from Yoruba's living in the US. I do not want to get insults based on this but I have been told that time and time again. My family and I do not use the word and I am simply not comfortable with people using it around me

apparently yes u are the only one, to the best of my knowledge akata is not derogating
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by FowardEast(f): 7:50am On Aug 10, 2009
It's just another word used by yet another group to try to insult AA's. I dont get offended.
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by na2day2(m): 7:54am On Aug 10, 2009
FowardEast:

It's just another word used by yet another group to try to insult AA's. I dont get offended.

so u say, i can AAs akata and i know i am not trying to be insulting
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by Nobody: 7:56am On Aug 10, 2009
Most of the time I use it as an insult. Thatz the fact of the matter, point blank.
Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by FowardEast(f): 8:10am On Aug 10, 2009
na2day?:

so u say, i can AAs akata and i know i am not trying to be insulting

Go ahead. It's no more offensive than what AA's call "black" africans.

1 Like

Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by Tanna(f): 8:44pm On Aug 10, 2009
AkATA might mean "overseas"

and Nigger developed from the word "NEGRO", which means black in the spanish language,

but the inteneded meaning (the connotation) is negative.

I am african-american, and I despise BOTH WORDS because I have never heard a Nigerian call someone Akata in an affectionate way.

I don't use, or accept the use of Nigga either.

1 Like

Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by na2day2(m): 9:05pm On Aug 10, 2009
FowardEast:

Go ahead. It's no more offensive than what AA's call "black" africans.

well, anyone that thinks "black" africans is an insult got issues no lie, explaining akata to that person will be worthless

Tanna:

AkATA might mean "overseas"

and Nigger developed from the word "NEGRO", which means black in the spanish language,

but the inteneded meaning (the connotation) is negative.

I am african-american, and I despise BOTH WORDS because I have never heard a Nigerian call someone Akata in an affectionate way.

I don't use, or accept the use of Nigga either.

girl, u been hanging around with the wrong crowd, hang out with me and u will have more affection than u bargain for kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: This "akata" Non-sense Is Funny: Give It Up. by FowardEast(f): 4:30am On Aug 11, 2009
na2day?:

well, anyone that thinks "black" africans is an insult got issues no lie, explaining akata to that person will be worthless

girl, u been hanging around with the wrong crowd, hang out with me and u will have more affection than u bargain for kiss kiss kiss

Probally so.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kano Anti-corruption Agency Halts Probe On Emir Sanusi / Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? / Can Some One Translate The Following Words From English To Edo/ Bini Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.