Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,824 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

An Open Invitation To Writers - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / An Open Invitation To Writers (1923 Views)

Invitation To A Conference To Mark 50 Years Of The Passage Of Christopher Okig / A Word To Writers... Don't Give Up On Your Work!! / An Open Letter To “Mr Ikemba” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 8:23am On Feb 11, 2016
Alright folks, beautiful lovers of the print. This is inkon.

Sounds new? Yeah! I've been passive, really passive - an evidence of time constraints right? So it seems.

Well, I'm here now. And I'm going to be brief.

First, I want to acknowledge the awesomeness of some talents in this literature section. You guys are wonderful - many active writers, ever willing to come up with some intriguing stuff to entertain the passive viewers. Such a free-will-donation, but with streaks of rewarding encouragement, nonetheless.

I'm sure some of you guys don't know how good you are. Just some well taken pertinent criticism and you are good to go. Yes! A little touch here or there, that is all we need to become the special individuals we are made to be.

Secondly, and more importantly, I'm here to extend a proposal to you for literary collaboration.

You have been doing great here. Time to give it a nudge. Time to take some steps outside the circumference of this forum. If you have ever been applauded for a job well done, this is when to give more and, of course, receive more.

Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 9:40am On Feb 11, 2016
I hold you in good esteem, that is why I'm willing to work with you. But before you accept or reject my proposal, kindly ponder on the subsequent questions.

1. Are you willing to convert this writing hobby of yours to part time job? (Be mindful of time here)

2. If truly you are prepared to write, can you do that with someone?

3. Wouldn't you mind if that "someone" is me, or any of those who will make up our team?

If your answers are in the affirmative, then follow this thread. Otherwise, save yourself some stress now, we will understand.

I thought about yesteryears literature and the icons that held the stage, in comparison to what is obtainable today. I thought about the other things - the efforts, the rewards, the old players and the upcoming.

Finally, I thought about you.

Something that doesn't lie to me keeps whispering into my ears that I can form a unique team from this forum. A team that will be renowned for her strategic revolutionizing of the dying African literary entertainment.

I want those who, of their own volition, have chosen to walk the distance with no element of persuasion. I want people who are gifted to add values to the lives of others. Above all, I specifically want those who are willing to use these gifts to awaken our literature from abeyance.

Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by Obichi98(m): 10:24am On Feb 11, 2016
Just might not follow you write up conclusive,pls love to read you article to the end,so send more details to...aobushhands1@gmail.com
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 10:56am On Feb 11, 2016
At this beginning, who can be a member of this group?

That person must be:
1. Aged18 years or above.
2. Residing in Lagos state.
3. A passionate and creative writer
4. Willing to contribute ideas that would enable the easy growth of this young literary venture.

Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 11:03am On Feb 11, 2016
Obichi98:
Just might not follow you write up conclusive,pls love to read you article to the end,so send more details to...aobushhands1@gmail.com
I would rather insist that your presence is needed here. You can always squeeze out time to peep once in a while. And perhaps, slip in your contributions.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 11:40am On Feb 11, 2016
I'm looking at creating a team of 20 writers, 5 editors and 10 marketers at this inception.

Each qualified member will be redirected to another platform, more private, where our ideas will be discussed in full.

It's all about literature, it's all about business, it's all about giving and receiving. It wouldn't be bad to get a lodge in your bank account as a reward for good values you laboured to create.

For me to start this thread on a public forum is enough to tell that I need contributions of ideas. While I believe that the idea I have is not bad, I know certainly, with your good contributions, they will be far better. So I need you just as much as you need me.

Here, nothing is conclusive yet. We are going to throw each idea open for discussion with the hope of arriving at something better. And fresh ideas are highly welcome. But not until we have chosen our team members.

What is it that qualifies one as a member of this team beside the above listed criteria?

Commitment. Yes! That is one thing you need to qualify. And again, we need a little proof that indeed, you are a writer.

Once I go on break, I will start a story on another thread. I will post the link here. You remember how we tend to do it here. You are expected to read my incomplete story and continue from where I stopped. Another person will continue from where you stopped and so on. If you are shortlisted from your performance there, you will get a special invitation to join our whatsaap group.

Expect the link soon.
Good luck!
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 9:04pm On Feb 11, 2016
Here comes the link:
www.nairaland.com/2927627/ekwe#42839303
Go there and do the needful.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by rapmike(m): 4:22pm On Feb 12, 2016
inkon:
I'm looking at creating a team of 20 writers, 5 editors and 10 marketers at this inception.

Each qualified member will be redirected to another platform, more private, where our ideas will be discussed in full.

It's all about literature, it's all about business, it's all about giving and receiving. It wouldn't be bad to get a lodge in your bank account as a reward for good values you laboured to create.

For me to start this thread on a public forum is enough to tell that I need contributions of ideas. While I believe that the idea I have is not bad, I know certainly, with your good contributions, they will be far better. So I need you just as much as you need me.

Here, nothing is conclusive yet. We are going to throw each idea open for discussion with the hope of arriving at something better. And fresh ideas are highly welcome. But not until we have chosen our team members.

What is it that qualifies one as a member of this team beside the above listed criteria?

Commitment. Yes! That is one thing you need to qualify. And again, we need a little proof that indeed, you are a writer.

Once I go on break, I will start a story on another thread. I will post the link here. You remember how we tend to do it here. You are expected to read my incomplete story and continue from where I stopped. Another person will continue from where you stopped and so on. If you are shortlisted from your performance there, you will get a special invitation to join our whatsaap group.

Expect the link soon.
Good luck!

Hello.

Please I hope you won't mind me asking some questions.
1st- what do you exactly mean by Literature? Are you talking of the Achebe or Adiche level or is it the level of what is currently on NL? I feel its the latter but just want to be sure.
2nd- why only Lagos? Can't you work with others outside of Lagos using online platforms like Whatsapp and e-mail? Creating a Whatsapp group for your team could help- at least your team is less than 100, am I right?
3rd- when you said 10 writers, I hope it ends at just writing? I say so because folks can be funny. I once worked with a group like yours (only that it was not Literature). They also made this demarcation that the writers will only write. Lo and behold, after the first issue of the paper was released, all those who were part of the editorial team was forced to buy 10 copies of the magazine @ #50 per copy and we were then told to sell them! That was so unforgettably annoying, not to talk of the fact that I did not even make any profit or even recoup the money I spent because the magazine was everywhere. So don't blame me for being skeptical.

Until I get answers to these questions before I take your talk serious.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 9:11pm On Feb 12, 2016
rapmike:

Hello.

Please I hope you won't mind me asking some questions.
1st- what do you exactly mean by Literature? Are you talking of the Achebe or Adiche level or is it the level of what is currently on NL? I feel its the latter but just want to be sure.
2nd- why only Lagos? Can't you work with others outside of Lagos using online platforms like Whatsapp and e-mail? Creating a Whatsapp group for your team could help- at least your team is less than 100, am I right?
3rd- when you said 10 writers, I hope it ends at just writing? I say so because folks can be funny. I once worked with a group like yours (only that it was not Literature). They also made this demarcation that the writers will only write. Lo and behold, after the first issue of the paper was released, all those who were part of the editorial team was forced to buy 10 copies of the magazine @ #50 per copy and we were then told to sell them! That was so unforgettably annoying, not to talk of the fact that I did not even make any profit or even recoup the money I spent because the magazine was everywhere. So don't blame me for being skeptical.

Until I get answers to these questions before I take your talk serious.

No, I don't mind. Besides, your questions are very relevant.

1. My intention is to initiate a dynamic literary platform that can accommodate generations of writers. And since I cannot do it alone, those who will co-assist in laying the foundation are the pioneer members who will retain its right of ownership.

It's neither Achebe's kind of literature nor what is on NL; but of course, we can borrow useful tips from them. One of the ideas I'll like to present is on the area of monthly publication of entertainment magazine. Something different from what is in the market today. That would be my own idea.

I have a reason for saying that my ideas are not conclusive. That is because I envisage a body of creative and willing individuals. It is possible that after brainstorming, my own ideas might not even number among the first to be launched.

2. I'm not psychic but I can feel your time constraints. Why would I tell somebody to start coming from Abuja or any of those far places for a project that is yet to yield any income.

You said something about your involvement in a similar organization that eventually brought only stress to you. That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. In future, things will definitely change, but for now, I want people who can easily reach each other.

There is a limit to what can he done online. For instance, when we get to registration stage with CAC and other relevant agencies and you happen to be a signatory, you can't sign such documents online.

3. That I'm initiating this idea does not give me any right whatsoever, over anybody.

Why would I impose a levy on you? Even if I do, would you be happy to pay? I'm trying to be understood here. If we sign an MoU today, I'm just a member like every other person until an election decides who occupies which position. It's not my firm. I don't even have any name registered to this effect. Rather, it will be our firm. And since it will be our firm from which we'll derive equal benefits, wouldn't it be fair to share the task alike?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by rapmike(m): 12:56am On Feb 13, 2016
inkon:

No, I don't mind. Besides, your questions are very relevant.

1. My intention is to initiate a dynamic literary platform that can accommodate generations of writers. And since I cannot do it alone, those who will co-assist in laying the foundation are the pioneer members who will retain its right of ownership.

It's neither Achebe's kind of literature nor what is on NL; but of course, we can borrow useful tips from them. One of the ideas I'll like to present is on the area of monthly publication of entertainment magazine. Something different from what is in the market today. That would be my own idea.

I have a reason for saying that my ideas are not conclusive. That is because I envisage a body of creative and willing individuals. It is possible that after brainstorming, my own ideas might not even number among the first to be launched.

2. I'm not psychic but I can feel your time constraints. Why would I tell somebody to start coming from Abuja or any of those far places for a project that is yet to yield any income.

You said something about your involvement in a similar organization that eventually brought only stress to you. That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. In future, things will definitely change, but for now, I want people who can easily reach each other.

There is a limit to what can he done online. For instance, when we get to registration stage with CAC and other relevant agencies and you happen to be a signatory, you can't sign such documents online.

3. That I'm initiating this idea does not give me any right whatsoever, over anybody.

Why would I impose a levy on you? Even if I do, would you be happy to pay? I'm trying to be understood here. If we sign an MoU today, I'm just a member like every other person until an election decides who occupies which position. It's not my firm. I don't even have any name registered to this effect. Rather, it will be our firm. And since it will be our firm from which we'll derive equal benefits, wouldn't it be fair to share the task alike?

Okay.

Unfortunately I am at Ife currently (that's in Osun state) so I can't join in. However, I may be following this thread.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 6:28am On Feb 13, 2016
rapmike:

Okay.

Unfortunately I am at Ife currently (that's in Osun state) so I can't join in. However, I may be following this thread.
No wahala, bros
I understand
Whenever you stop by, remember to drop in some goodies, idea wise.
Regards.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 10:29am On Feb 13, 2016
ONE OF THE THINGS TO GIVE AND HOW

A choice!

All we’ve got to give is a “choice”. A close observation will reveal how low the so-called Nollywood movies have descended. Yet, an average Nigerian will spend hours watching it but groan about 30 minutes he spent reading. It’s because they want to be entertained, we all want to, but when they cannot get what they want in the prints, they submit to screen work.

We are going to give them a choice by redirecting their attention to the prints.

We are going to do this by giving them exactly what they want to read just the way they want it.

Our people are craving for local stories; those prepared from local ingredients, garnished with the flavour of everyday’s life and served on Nigerian background. I am talking about stories that are potent enough to hold even writers spellbound.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 5:58pm On Feb 13, 2016
Come on guys, go to the link and indicate your interest. www.nairaland.com/2927627/ekwe
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by BobUg28(m): 3:11am On Feb 14, 2016
Op, nice move I must say. You have a very good plan at hand. Hopefully, if this view is achieved as stated, it is going to become a very good one. Something that would allure people into liking literature the more.

This are the kind of stuffs that usually interests me. I'm an amateur first person descriptive story teller. But unfortunately, I'm in Abuja. From the look of things, I'm not qualify to become a member. Your modi operandi has automatically disqualifies me.

Anyway Goodluck as you carry out your plan.

1 Like

Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 10:37am On Feb 14, 2016
BobUg28:
Op, nice move I must say. You have a very good plan at hand. Hopefully, if this view is achieved as stated, it is going to become a very good one. Something that would allure people into liking literature the more.

This are the kind of stuffs that usually interests me. I'm an amateur first person descriptive story teller. But unfortunately, I'm in Abuja. From the look of things, I'm not qualify to become a member. Your modi operandi has automatically disqualifies me.

Anyway Goodluck as you carry out your plan.

Thanks dude.

Abuja?
Oops!
Mmmm...that is far actually.
However, you are not entirely disqualified as you have wrongly presumed.

The picture I've in mind is pretty broad. The factors abating the growth of literature is not peculiar to Nigeria. Their ugly aura is all over Africa and I believe that this is curable if given a right potent dose. It's starting in Nigeria, particular in Lagos. Certainly, this project will spread to all the states in Nigeria and beyond but it is necessary for every tree to have a root.

Kindly understand my decision to insist on launching with those in Lagos. As it is now, this is only an idea which will soon give birth to baby programs. These babies will need care, nurture and attention to get the life they deserve. Distant members will give none of these, except if (s)he chooses to subject to the burden of travelling down to Lagos at every point of need which, in my own opinion, might not be necessary, at least for now.

In future, we'll have states' zones where people in their respective states will easily engage.

You referred to your work as amateur. Really? You probably do not like self appraisal bro. Isn't that the case? If I'm wrong, then do good to work on yourself. Writing is a great gift you know.

Thanks again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 3:09pm On Feb 16, 2016
Surprisingly, none of these fine writers here seems to be in Lagos. Nawa oo, a whole Lagos! Lol Or are they being deliberately reserved? Just curious. Well, the project must go on.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 9:43am On Feb 19, 2016
Why would a potential crew snub a viable voyage?
Well!!! I've got to looks elsewhere. The project is alive and must grow.
Might update you guys on turn out of things, if I find time, that is. Regards.

1 Like

Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by KachiUgo(m): 11:48am On Feb 19, 2016
Sorry, op. I intend to reply, but I've been busy. A little more time, maybe...? I have to go over this thread again so that I have things straight.

PS: I live in Lagos, though not presently there.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 7:20am On Feb 28, 2016
I promised to update.... Hmmmm.....e no easy ooo, getting ppl to believe in ones project. But I've some good news. Will update in d evening. Happy Sunday.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by Eze2000(m): 5:08pm On Feb 28, 2016
inkon:
ONE OF THE THINGS TO GIVE AND HOW

A choice!

All we’ve got to give is a “choice”. A close observation will reveal how low the so-called Nollywood movies have descended. Yet, an average Nigerian will spend hours watching it but groan about 30 minutes he spent reading. It’s because they want to be entertained, we all want to, but when they cannot get what they want in the prints, they submit to screen work.

We are going to give them a choice by redirecting their attention to the prints.

We are going to do this by giving them exactly what they want to read just the way they want it.

Our people are craving for local stories; those prepared from local ingredients, garnished with the flavour of everyday’s life and served on Nigerian background. I am talking about stories that are potent enough to hold even writers spellbound.

*An elder clears his throat*

I love the sound of the noise you're making. I'm in Lagos too but, among other things, I don't think I'll suit your ideas cos i'm merely a writer with only one published book. So as some would say ....... 'thou art an amateur'
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 2:52pm On Feb 29, 2016
Eze2000:

*An elder clears his throat*

I love the sound of the noise you're making. I'm in Lagos too but, among other things, I don't think I'll suit your ideas cos i'm merely a writer with only one published book. So as some would say ....... 'thou art an amateur'

Hmmm...!
Sounds like you have many things to say bro....

I would have loved to tell you why I've chosen to make this noise and why it can't stop but I think I should just thank you for your choice to like a noise and also implore you to open up if you have something to add to the noise making.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 3:04pm On Feb 29, 2016
We had our first meeting yesterday, the 28 day of February, at stopover hotel Ikeja. I had promised to update on this thread as soon as I was back but I came back so tired and besides there wasn't much to say as turnout was very poor. We hoped for 12 people but we had only 5 in attendance. Our second meeting will take place in March, at Unilag, Festac campus. Will keep you posted.

1 Like

Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by rapmike(m): 3:29pm On Mar 01, 2016
inkon:
We had our first meeting yesterday, the 28 day of February, at stopover hotel Ikeja. I had promised to update on this thread as soon as I was back but I came back so tired and besides there wasn't much to say as turnout was very poor. We hoped for 12 people but we had only 5 in attendance. Our second meeting will take place in March, at Unilag, Festac campus. Will keep you posted.

Nice one. I am with you on this, don't get bothered about the number of folks that came, things will improve gradually.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 7:10pm On Mar 01, 2016
rapmike:

Nice one. I am with you on this, don't get bothered about the number of folks that came, things will improve gradually.

Thanks bro...
Yeeees! Things will improve, certainly. Did I remember to inform you that this is a journey I've chosen to make? Even if I don't get to the destination, I pray and hope to, but even if I don't, someone must continue from where I stopped.

Many people don't see possibility in this and I don't blame them. I understand their fear. People don't buy books here, especially hard copies. When I hinted on the idea on this forum, it was completely snubbed. I took it offline, a similar thing happened but I still found a handful of those who believe that no matter how tough a palm nut looks it will only take a stone to get it smashed.

Tnx again bro for your encouragement.

1 Like

Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by ghostwritter(m): 12:12pm On Mar 02, 2016
Have u ever imagined getting 10 best NLders in same room for a soul purpose of writting a single book? I'm sure it's going to be a bestselling in Africa. (I guess that's d question u ought to have introduced ur topic with)
'Mr. Inkon', I would love to join d team as i've got crazy stories stuck all over my blood-cells but I reside far away from Lagos.
But I wish u d very best as u hunt for d LXG's.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by Eze2000(m): 1:07am On Mar 07, 2016
inkon:

Hmmm...!
Sounds like you have many things to say bro....

I would have loved to tell you why I've chosen to make this noise and why it can't stop but I think I should just thank you for your choice to like a noise and also implore you to open up if you have something to add to the noise making.

you are right I do have lots to say and yeah interested. Sent u a private mail, never got a reply.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 1:17pm On Mar 11, 2016
Eze2000:

you are right I do have lots to say and yeah interested. Sent u a private mail, never got a reply.

Your indulgence dude! Have being knee-deep in work. The private mail wasn't received. Lost my password to that account. Kindly forward to ampemyink@gmail.com. Hope you don't mind.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 1:27pm On Mar 11, 2016
ghostwritter:
Have u ever imagined getting 10 best NLders in same room for a soul purpose of writting a single book? I'm sure it's going to be a bestselling in Africa. (I guess that's d question u ought to have introduced ur topic with)
'Mr. Inkon', I would love to join d team as i've got crazy stories stuck all over my blood-cells but I reside far away from Lagos.
But I wish u d very best as u hunt for d LXG's.

You might be right bro.....you might just be right. But that would only be your own opinion, idea or anything. And if you can conduct a feasibility study and develop a concept to that effect, I don't see why you won't get good attention. However, I couldn't have changed my topic because it's entirely different from what you suggest here. This is the beauty of brainstorming. People come up with different ideas.
Re: An Open Invitation To Writers by inkon: 1:41pm On Apr 03, 2016
"Update"
I did everything possible to host our second meeting last month as earlier scheduled but certain unprecedented bruhaha almost crippled my efforts, thus my failure to update last month.

However, the meeting eventually took place on Saturday, the second day of April, 2016 @ Lasu part time school, Festac.

ATTENDEE
We had impressive attendance with two published authors in our midst and a woman lawyer. We have a total of 17 registered members, out of which 12 are passionate writers. I actually hoped for more but opinion has changed and the door to pioneer membership is closed. Future members will come under employee status; so has the house decided.

COMMUNIQUÉ
Among several things touched at the meeting were the interpretation of our mission statement, target audience and strategic approach to secure the African literary market. Finally, we chose a name, trademark and slogan from abundant suggestions, courtesy of members.

ASSIGNMENT
Process for the registration of the chosen business name and trademark with CAC was assigned to me (to be assisted by two other members) and every member is a signatory. Process begins asap.

CHALLENGES
The young organization needs an office (perhaps temporary) as this will help us in a number of ways. We are mindful of the negative influence this can bring on our future activities. Therefore, we have concluded on how to raise money to the effect and hopefully, I'll soon post our office address here for whomever that wants to visit.

(1) (Reply)

In The Billionaire's Bed By Wunmiade16 Is A Plagiarized Work / Romantic Story : House Of Lust (18+) Season 2 Episode 1 / "EDGE" - A Short Story By Korayday Azeez :: Thriller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.