Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,548 members, 7,823,400 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria (2194 Views)

Obasanjo: Nigeria May Soon Explode-Saharareporters / Nnamdi Kanu To Remain In ThePrison As FG Seeks To Transfer Case To Another Court / Names Of BIAFRANS Who Were Killed In Onitsha By The Nigerian Police, Navy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Ijawman(m): 9:48pm On Jul 05, 2009
Nigerians Lament Closure Of Their Businesses In Ghana
Written by Jacob
Sunday, 05 July 2009 02:20
Suicides Recorded || Hundreds of Nigerian businessmen in Ghana are lamenting the closure of their businesses in the past 20 months due to their inability to pay the 300,000 dollars demanded by the country's government.

On November 28, 2007, the Ghana Investment Promotion Council (GIPC) ordered the closure of the businesses of Nigerians who were unable to meet the demand.

The News Agency of Nigeria learnt that the traders could not meet the demand, resulting in the sealing up of their shops.

A NAN correspondent in Accra reports that many of the shops, including electronics marts, have remained closed and efforts made by the traders to persuade the Ghanaian government to re-open them have proved abortive.

Mr Jasper Emenike, the secretary-general of the Nigerian Union of Traders Association (NUTAG), told NAN that some members of the association had committed suicide due to their inability to feed their families.

``We have recorded some suicide cases and attempted suicide by scores of Nigerian in Ghana because of their inability to feed their families and meet other obligations due to the sealing up of their shops by the Ghanaian government.

"We are appealing to the Nigerian government to give this matter the urgency it deserves because Nigerians are passing through severe difficulties in trying to make a living in Ghana.

"We are at a loss why it is only businesses owned by Nigerians that should be closed down in a country where millions of businessmen from other countries, including ECOWAS member countries, are daily flocking to do business,'' Emenike said.

He said that although the association had taken its case to the ECOWAS Parliament, which condemned the closure of their shops, nothing had come out of the effort.

"We have also taken the matter to the courts in Ghana but the case was struck out with the advice that we should try to get the matter resolved through diplomatic means, rather than through litigation.

"It may interest you to know that no Nigerian trader has taken the law into his hands in spite of the obvious provocation by their Ghanaian brothers,'' he said, and appealed to the Federal Government to show more commitment to resolving the matter to save the traders from starvation.

Emenike argued that the closure of the shops was contrary to the ECOWAS Protocol, which allowed free movement of goods and people within the sub-region.

Commenting on the closure of the shops, the Nigerian High Commissioner to Ghana, Mr Musiliu Obanikoro, said the Commission was handling the matter and that ``it will eventually be sorted out''.

He said the traders were coming together as entities to raise funds to meet the conditions imposed by the Ghanaian Government for them to continue to do businesses.

Millions of people, especially Nigerians have been flocking to Ghana in recent years to invest because of the stable infrastructure and emerging business opportunities in the country of 22 million people.
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Ijawman(m): 9:50pm On Jul 05, 2009
They will give them heavy taxes, close their businesses on flimsy excuses and confiscate their property. Much as I want Nigeria to separate, people should think and plan well before taking the plunge
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Bialegend(m): 10:14pm On Jul 05, 2009
"We are appealing to the Nigerian government to give this matter the urgency it deserves because Nigerians are passing through severe difficulties in trying to make a living in Ghana.

You are a fool if you think the case will be same if Biafra ever emerges.  The reason why nigerian government is not doing anything by pressurizing Ghana and it's government to get up their arrss and protect nigerian businesses in Ghana is because nigerian government and it's people already know that 95% of the so called nigerian businesses in Ghana are owned by Igbos, so to them, there is no need to waste their time as the same Igbos are never loved or cared for in their own so called country nigeria which was part of the reason why some of them moved their businesses to Ghana and other West African countries. 

Biafra as a country can not sit down and fold it's hands while any other country in this world messes up with her citizen's bussinesses. Such doesn't happen when it involves countries that have the interest of their citizens at heart. Try that fucck with USA, UK, Japan, Germany, South Korea and other well meaning countries, (yes, those are countries i can compare Biafra to) and see if you are not going to be the loser at the end. Your nigeria is a failed state and as such can't do jack even when Gambia with less than 1million in population threatens her citizen's bussinesses in an unacceptable way. In the other thread, i told you about what is called international diplomacy and negotiation. In this type of situation, you see countries rise up to defend their citizens and their businesses in the oppressing countries. This is where Biafran government will rise to the occassion and nip to the bud the problem in Ghana against it's citizen's bussinesses.

Still as it is today, Ghana is by far more safe for Igbo businesses than in Kano, Kaduna, Sokoto, Plateau, Bauchi, Jigawa, Taraba, Maiduguri and all the northern states of nigeria where Igbos are killed in mass just at the mention of mohammed. At least we ain't losing Igbo lives in Ghana through Ghana religious riots targeted at Igbos, are we? Your nigeria not caring about what is going on in Ghana against Igbo businesses is expected and should not come as a surprise to any sane person.

1 Like

Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Ijawman(m): 10:19pm On Jul 05, 2009
You are a bigger fool if you think Biafra can influence anything on Nigeria where they are not citizens. I used the Ghana example to show what will face Biafrans in Nigeria. Igbos have been marginalized and slaughtered in their own country by northerners and Igbos have really done nothing about that. I wonder what they will do when they are slaughtered by northerners in another country (Nigeria). You fail to appreciate my advise and instead take to insults. I wish you luck.
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 10:20pm On Jul 05, 2009
onenaija

hmmm what up there
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 10:23pm On Jul 05, 2009
ijaw man u re a joke!!

havin a house etc is quite different from owing a buziness

u are joke!!

buzinesss or not igbo yall love to hate can never be chase away

u can try and see what happen
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Bialegend(m): 10:23pm On Jul 05, 2009
Ijawman:

You are a bigger fool if you think Biafra can influence anything on Nigeria where they are not citizens. I used the Ghana example to show what will face Biafrans in Nigeria. Igbos have been marginalized and slaughtered in their own country by northerners and Igbos have really done nothing about that. I wonder what they will do when they are slaughtered by northerners in another country (Nigeria). You fail to appreciate my advise and instead take to insults. I wish you luck.
Your foolishness is more than i thought when you don't know that countries like USA, UK, Japan, Germany, South Korea and other well meaning countries can influence anything on nigeria and any other country in the world where they are not citizens. Take your advise and shove it up your awusa fuccked up arrsss.
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by tpiah: 10:23pm On Jul 05, 2009
Actual thread title:

[size=14pt]Nigerians Lament Closure Of Their Businesses In Ghana [/size]

Usual Nairaland thread title:

This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who  Remain In Nigeria

na today?
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by biina: 10:54pm On Jul 05, 2009
It seems Bialegend feels they are going to eat their cake and have it.
If Biafra secedes from Nigeria, they would no longer have any interests or influence in Nigeria, and will be treated like any other African country (if not worse).
Your ability to maintain businesses in Nigeria would be at the discretion of the Nigerian government, and, if all the allegations are true, I doubt they would be accommodating,
The influence of the developed countries comes from colonization and the differences in the level of development. That would not apply in the case of Biafra.
Every country reserves the sovereign right to kick out any foreigners from it shores and even allowing you to have an embassy.
The most you can do is to in turn ban Nigerians from Biafra, any thing else is simply an implicit declaration of war.
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by davidif: 10:58pm On Jul 05, 2009
Nigerians Lament Closure Of Their Businesses In Ghana

Usual Nairaland thread title:

This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria

tpia,
don't mind them jare.
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by NegroNtns(m): 11:06pm On Jul 05, 2009
tpiah, GET THEM!!
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Ijawman(m): 11:14pm On Jul 05, 2009
biina:

If Biafra secedes from Nigeria, they would no longer have any interests or influence in Nigeria, and will be treated like any other African country (if not worse).
Your ability to maintain businesses in Nigeria would be at the discretion of the Nigerian government, and, if all the allegations are true, I doubt they would be accommodating,
The influence of the developed countries comes from colonization and the differences in the level of development. That would not apply in the case of Biafra.
Every country reserves the sovereign right to kick out any foreigners from it shores and even allowing you to have an embassy.
The most you can do is to in turn ban Nigerians from Biafra, any thing else is simply an implicit declaration of war.

Thank you for spelling it out for him. That guy is a born idiot with little brain. He is obviously brainwashed.
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Bialegend(m): 11:21pm On Jul 05, 2009
biina:

When Biafra emerges, we will indirectly have influence on you nigerians (what ever it will remain by then) as we will be better off more than you will ever be and you will need us more than we will ever need you. In that situation, it will be "give and take" and our give to you will surely be more than we will ever take from you and that is where we will hold you in "blocos" to treat our citizens in your country with respect. Rich countries does that to poor countries and Biafra will definitely be richer a million times than all you you nigerian countries put together.

So will your abilities to maintain businesses in Biafra will be at the discretion of the Biafran government, and by them, we shall see who loses out at the end.

Lie, lie and lie. Japan, South Korea, Germany, Italy didn't colonize any country in Africa, but they weild extreme  influence on you Africans because you are poor to the core and can't stand them to test. Biafra will be rich and have same influence on you. If you doubt it, then support Biafran's quest for independence, but i guess you can't because you are afraid of rich Biafra weilding her influence on your poor arsss country.

Some countries dare not try kicking out citizens of rich countries without proper and reasonable excuse because of the consenquences from the rich countries on their poor arsss. Poor countries beg to have diplomatic ties with rich countries because of the benefits and Biafra's case as a rich country will be the same.

That is if you ban us first, then we shall retaliate. More over, there are more severe and effective means of dealing with a poor soveriegn country than declaring war on her.

2 Likes

Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by olabukola: 11:22pm On Jul 05, 2009
Do you people think the ibos never thought of this issue by now? They lost all after the civil war but today they compete at any level in Nigeria.
That their Biafra is more important to them than houses and shops. If Nigeria can't let them do biz they will take their biz to other afro countries.
Then Nigerians will go to Biafra to buy grin grin grin grin. Think of the humilation we will get in this case.
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Bialegend(m): 11:26pm On Jul 05, 2009
olabukola:

Do you people think the ibos never thought of this issue by now? They lost all after the civil war but today they compete at any level in Nigeria.
That their Biafra is more important to them than houses and shops. If Nigeria can't let them do biz they will take their biz to other afro countries.
Then Nigerians will go to Biafra to buy grin grin grin grin. Think of the humilation we will get in this case.
My brother tell them. What ever happens to Biafran government compensenting every of her citizen that lost out in nigeria because of the creation of Biafra. That is if the case may be that way, but again, what ever happens to diplomacy and negotiation between different governments that will emerge through the dissintegration of nigeria. That is where the forces of give and take will be applied.
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Afaukwu: 11:38pm On Jul 05, 2009
olabukola:

We have never thought of any issue. Achieving Biafra is something that is possible but the plans on how to achieve that have not been actually made. It seems that we are basing our sentiments on the likelihood that we will bounce back again (like we did after the Biafr war) after losing investments in Nigeria, but we should not always be losing investments because we failed to plan well ahead. I am sorry to say this, I think Ijawman has been reasonable in his argument so far. No be naija we we all know? Even if they permit you in paper to continue living and owning businesses in their country, they will turn round and use religious riots to get back at you. How many non-Igbos invest heavily in Igboland?
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by olabukola: 11:45pm On Jul 05, 2009
Do you prefer your investment to your freedom?
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by naijaking1: 12:00am On Jul 06, 2009
Ijawman:

Correction!
Igbos, Ijaws, Edos, Ogonis were all slaughtered by northerners. By simple statistical computation, the Igbos who were more in number simply died most, but don't confuse yourself. It was not obly the Igbos that were slaughtered and even marginalized.
Your hatred is really stupifying undecided

1 Like

Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:30am On Jul 06, 2009
olabukola:

Do you people think the ibos never thought of this issue by now?
As someone already posted, No the Ibos have not.
olabukola:

They lost all after the civil war but today they compete at any level in Nigeria.

So? What has that to do with guaranteeing they will not lose even more this time?

olabukola:

That their Biafra is more important to them than houses and shops.

Lol . . . . Please Stop pretending you have Ibos figured out!! Considering the reasons offered up on here for a biafra-n seem mainly material, you believe it means Biafra-ns will be willing to lose billions in investments just like that?

olabukola:

If Nigeria can't let them do biz they will take their biz to other afro countries.
Are your for real?
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:31am On Jul 06, 2009
olabukola:

Do you prefer your investment to your freedom?

Freedom from what?

Bialegend:

My brother tell them. What ever happens to Biafran government compensenting every of her citizen that lost out in nigeria because of the creation of Biafra.

You really believe after all the heavy spending that your Biafra will have to deal with for the first couple of decades; there will be money to compensate millions of people for their losses? WOW!!! grin

By the way, where is this Biafra-n government coming from? The same pool that has produced the many Ibo leaders we have had in the last 40 years? grin

Bialegend:

That is if the case may be that way, but again, what ever happens to diplomacy and negotiation between different governments that will emerge through the dissintegration of nigeria. That is where the forces of give and take will be applied.

Oh!! It is not a BIG IF, I would probably advise you EXPECT IT considering this the same Nigerian government that felt it would rather BUTCHER you all than let you get away from the union just like that.  I mean if anything, I would expect the Nigerian government to SEIZE all properties, and assets belonging to Biafran Nigerians and that, the government CAN DO.

Just because you can buy/own  a house in America DOES NOT MEAN you can do the same in all countries, as a foreigner.

Disintegration of Nigeria? Dude, what are you on? Roflmao!!!
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by IGWEUSA(m): 4:42am On Jul 06, 2009
@ KOBO

For the upteenth time, why cant you and your people leave the igbos to go. To run a business together should be a case of mutual

understanding and not by force. You always sound as if you are pitying the igbos, please do that for the northern brothers.
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:49am On Jul 06, 2009
IGWE_USA:

@ KOBO
For the upteenth time, why cant you and your people leave the igbos to go. To run a business together should be a case of mutual
understanding and not by force. You always sound as if you are pitying the igbos, please do that for the northern brothers.

Roflamo!!!

In my opinion, the only people holding you so-called Biafra-ns back are in your own minds. Most every other tribe seems to be dealing with exactly the very same issues you claim the Ibos are dealing with. No one has so far chained you down or commanded you NEVER go out and try for another Biafra. However it is utterly naïve of you to expect you will be allowed to walk away with what currently belongs to Nigeria and land that does not belong to you, without repercussions of any kind. You helped POOPOO the country and put it where it is but now you expect to be allowed to walk away with no repercussions, talk about being seriously naïve. Even the Hausas can only dream of having their own nation as they know that will likely NEVER happen.

PS. This is an OPEN FORUM. IF you do not want others commenting on issues that pertain to you and yours, it might make sense you STOP creating threads upon thread to broadcast how you are VICTIMS and OPPRESSED here and there. It is CLEAR you guys seem to RELISH the attention considering the number of threads broadcasting this and intent on blaming others for your inaction. Nairaland Politics board has been INNUNDATED with posts on BIAFRA THIS AND THAT. Since I practically live on this board, I will definitely post my view whether you like it or not.
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 6:31am On Jul 06, 2009
naijaking1:

Correction!
Igbos, Ijaws, Edos, Ogonis were all slaughtered by northerners. By simple statistical computation, the Igbos who were more in number simply died most, but don't confuse yourself. It was not obly the Igbos that were slaughtered and even marginalized.
Your hatred is really stupifying undecided

Thanks for exposing that Ijawman's myopia. When people like me lament the failures of the Nigerian government in doing nothing (they even gave support to the killings) to prevent the massacre of Igbos in many parts of the country before the Biafran War, it is people like Ijawman that would come out to scream "it wasn't only Igbos that were killed". However, when his type wants to reiterate the fact that Igbos were massacred and use it as tool of fear and intimidation to cower the Igbos and remind them of the injustices of the past, they pretend that only Igbos were massacred during the pogrom of 1966.

I still don't understand why so many Nigerians (non-Igbos) have this penchant to vilify, ridicule and abuse the Igbos. They come in different shades but it's not too hard to detect.

Why do fools support oppression when others are being oppressed, but cry foul when they or their kind are on the receiving end?

People of principle will flatly condemn all forms of oppression and injustice, period!
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by udezue(m): 6:44am On Jul 06, 2009
Like as if Nigerians are not known to be wicked.
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by beystwin: 9:08am On Jul 06, 2009
Why do fools support oppression when others are being oppressed, but cry foul when they or their kind are on the receiving end?
this is what Naija is all about. lipsrsealed
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 9:47am On Jul 06, 2009
The refusal of the Nigerian government to dredge the river naija to make it possible for Igbo businesses to flourish in Igbo land have been the main reason why you see igbo businesses in other parts of nigeria. I think those that are clamouring for biafra don't have any property outside igbo land. I can imagine the zillions that will be lost if biafra became a reality.
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 10:29am On Jul 06, 2009
ijaw man

i think we know u stand already know

the man has be dancin for quite a long time outside the club
now inside, we can see the diference

haters never accept they are

imagine me in benin-ijaw party in london, and some benin man tellin me they hates igbos cuz we see the ladys are prostitutes,

so na igbo thing now

foolish people
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by DisGuy: 11:13am On Jul 06, 2009
Bialegend
Biafra as a country can not sit down and fold it's hands while any other country in this world messes up with her citizen's bussinesses. Such doesn't happen when it involves countries that have the interest of their citizens at heart. Try that fucck with USA, UK, Japan, Germany, South Korea and other well meaning countries, (yes, those are countries i can compare Biafra to) and see if you are not going to be the loser at the end.

why arent the current igbo/biafran lawmakers doing anything about these problem in ghana at the moment, each region in nigeria is equally represented in the house and if one particular group feel they are deliberated being ignored, their lawmakers should stand up to do something shouldnt they?
what is uzawurike* going to do about this? he is apparently trying to meet Obama in the same country
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 06, 2009
Nairaland Igbos and their petulant cry and complaints.

Nigerians do this, Nigerians do that. For once DO SOMETHING and stop holding non-Igbos responsible for your predicaments.
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by deb(m): 3:01pm On Jul 06, 2009
@ Ijawman

You should realize by now that Bialegend is a one way thinker.
ITK ( I Too Know) see things only from his own delusional perspective.
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by DisGuy: 7:45am On Jul 07, 2009
this is how biafrans will treat igbos tongue

A MOST bizarre breach of security and decorum was recorded at the weekend in Ngwo, Enugu State where suspected members of the Movement for the Actualisation of Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) hounded Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi, one of whom successfully gave the governor a knock on the head.

According to the Special Assistant to the governor on Media And Publicity, Valentine Obienyem, trouble started when MASSOB members allegedly led by their leader, Raphael Uwazurike, sited Obi coming. They reportedly started shouting: "We must kill you and your family; we must send you back to the UK."

Obienyem said at the scene, the governor sat at a different area from Mr. Emeka Etiaba and Uwazurike. He said Odumegwu-Ojukwu later invited Obi to join him where he was seated. As the governor moved to oblige Odumegwu-Ojukwu, some MASSOB members accosted him, saying he had refused to identify with them and hence was not a Biafran.

Speaking with reporters on the incident, 'Major' Anayo Chukwunonso, who claimed to be a leader of the MASSOB militia, said the organisation was unhappy with Governor Obi for allegedly stopping the monthly payment made to them by previous governments in the state.

However, he added that since Obi had refused to work with MASSOB, "others who are sympathetic to our cause are enjoying our services."

He queried why Obi would not pay MASSOB militia when his colleagues allegedly still do.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article03//indexn2_html?pdate=070709&ptitle=Suspected%20MASSOB%20members%20attack%20Obi
Re: This Is How Nigeria May Treat Biafrans Who Remain In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 07, 2009
The real Kobojunkie is gradually crawling out of her shell.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ojukwu Is Dead, Die Today , Hospital Report. Rip / Political Appointment Scam- Beware! / 2 Igbos, 1 Yoruba, 2 Southern Minorities, 0 Northerners Dazzle The World In USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.