Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,823 members, 7,824,439 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? (95269 Views)

Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? / Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? / How Tough Is Pharmacy As A Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by JhyMedex: 8:41pm On Aug 21, 2018
Stegomiah:

In 4 months you will have to finish the whole pharmacology text
What it takes pharmacy and pharmacology students 5 years

Another 4 months to finish the whole pathology text
Pathology is divided into morbid anatomy, chemical pathology, hematology and microbiology
Microbiology is divided into bacteriology, fungalogy, parasitology and virology
All these are specialties, people take years to students
The clinicals is mad, medicine, surgery, o&g, peadiatrics.....

Oga wat is fungalogy? r spiders making webs in ur brain.?. Lol..
Mycology u mean!!
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by HADI854: 5:09am On Nov 23, 2018
[quote author=Drdonzeez post=42856518]veteniary medicine, Dentistry and Dental surgery and pharmacy are all tougher than medicine. just that medicine is more difficult to get into.[/qu

are you sure about that?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Mikolion87(m): 11:13am On Nov 25, 2018
Dphn:

Please sir, how many professional exams do dentistry students write in Nigerian universities?

I'm sorry for replying this late, I am not so active here due to my busy schedule. Back to your question.

Dental surgery students write a total of six professional exams. - Three of which they write together with medical students (2nd MBBS, 3rd MBBS, 5th MBBS/4th BDS. The only medical exam they don't write is 4th MBBS.
- The remaining exams are unique ONLY to dental surgery students (not written by medical students) :
2nd BDS, 3rd BDS, 5th BDS.

Just for emphasis sake, for those comparing Medicine and Dentistry, this argument is stale already. As, there isn't supposed to be any fights between dizygotic twins born of the same parents. The relationship between Medicine and Dentistry is like that existing between Dizygotic twins. Which is more difficult shouldn't be an issue. Dentists are just unique in the sense that, they start on time to Specialize (studying Medicine alongside), unlike others who would need to study Medicine first before Specializing. According to Wikipedia, Dentistry is described as a branch of Medicine. Dentists are a specialized group of medical doctors, hence are Surgeons (Dental surgeons). That's why they all belong to the same parent body (NMA, MDCN), and paid the same salary in public service (CONMESS), and can all pursue postgraduate residency in West Africa College of Surgeons or the National Postgraduate Medical College) to specialize further.

The work of dentists go beyond tooth extraction (which is not even a minor work, cos it could result in jaw fracture and damage to very important nerves if not done professionally). Other things dentists do is a story for another day. But just know that they work beyond the teeth and mouth. They work on the jaws, the face, and neck (Head and Neck), in cognizance with the whole body. So they employ medical skills (laboratory investigations and physical examinations of the whole body, and medical stabilizations if need be e.g, hypertensives, diabetics, asthmatics, epileptics etc)

One of my roles on nairaland is to educate the public, because I know a lot of people (including medical students who do not have Dentistry in their school) don't know much about Dentistry ,due to poor enlightenment.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Abu001: 10:32am On Nov 27, 2018
Do you plan to study in FRANCE, BELGIUM, AUSTRALIA, INDIA, USA, UK AND THAILAND. There are currently genuine scholarships available now with limited space in all these countries listed.
Do you also want to pay your CANADIAN AND USA SERVIS FEE?
Do you need help to do a successful F1 visa application to the United States, in order to avoid denials?
Contact me:0704 643 5603 and 1705leadershipinstitute@gmail.com

Delay may cost you a lot
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Hayzed0601(m): 6:46pm On Apr 16, 2020
Stegomiah:
To say medicine and surgery is the most difficult course is an understatement.

For starters, in 18months you will have to do biochemistry, anatomy and physiology with an additional course. The whole of it, when you think it's the same courses each one of it some takes 4-5 years to study

In 4 months you will have to finish the whole pharmacology text
What it takes pharmacy and pharmacology students 5 years

Another 4 months to finish the whole pathology text
Pathology is divided into morbid anatomy, chemical pathology, hematology and microbiology
Microbiology is divided into bacteriology, fungalogy, parasitology and virology
All these are specialties, people take years to students
The clinicals is mad, medicine, surgery, o&g, peadiatrics.....

It's only in medicine 24hrs ain't enuf
Medicine makes extraordinary students ordinary
Turns humans into beast
I had to revise 175detailed slides in 20mins and know everything in there
It frustrates you
The stress, calls, wardrounds, practicals, annoying lecturers, exam tension, thrills

You have to have high tolerance, discipline and endurance level to survive

The exams are not here, time always insufficient

Negative marking, am not sure other departments does that

Lectures 8am to 5pm, evening you dey clinic
You don't have your saturdays to you everytime

I don't know about your medical school, but mine is really crazy in here
So don't even try comparing medicine with any other course

Mind you the best of the best are in medicine, many headboys in ma set, state champions, national champions, yet some still get withdrawn, majority keep on struggling.
Medicine is depressing, sometimes not mentally owkay, schizophrenic...

I don't expect you to understand, only one that passes thru the process will

If you so mad try to get admission to study medicine first, and not transfer aggression of not being able to secure an admission thus ridiculing how difficult medical school is
A pharmacy student does not spend five years studying pharmacology alone.Pharmacy is as tough as Medicine.

1 Like

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Period007(m): 8:27pm On Apr 16, 2020
Hayzed0601:

A pharmacy student does not spend five years studying pharmacology alone.Pharmacy is as tough as Medicine.
Don't mind him.
Pharmacology that's run in medical school for nothing less than 3 semesters he is making mouth and hyping medicine
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by benoinstrull: 11:29pm On Apr 16, 2020
[quote author=Hayzed0601 post=8851733
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Lmaomen1(m): 9:20pm On Sep 13, 2020
Hello, my friends! Well you know it depends on what specialty you are gonna choose but I think that in life we shouldn't aim for easy goals. I am a doctor for thirteen years. Yes studying was hard and working was even harder but I think this is worthwhile. If you've decided what you want to become and the answer is a doctor, then I would like to invite you to us as I am sure that here you are gonna get big opportunities and develop yourself the best way. All you need to do in order to make your dream become a reality is just to access the following site: https://www.exploremedicalcareers.com/ekg-technician/.
I wait for you and I hope you are gonna make the right decision.

1 Like

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by hakym619(m): 12:57pm On Aug 14, 2021
tuoyoojo:
bros forget this course about medicine being tough. yes it is demanding. some courses are boring ( neurology n embryology) but when u move to clinical esp after finishing peado. medicine makes alot sense there after

the most difficult part is getting into medicine cuz the competition is extremely stiff

the way I read for my jamb I didn't read that hard thru out med school.

medicine requires consistency In Reading and relaxing after every test or exams

wahali medicine is not a big deal

Hello Doctor.
I need to ask Some questions from you
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by tuoyoojo(m): 4:05pm On Aug 14, 2021
hakym619:

Hello Doctor.
I need to ask Some questions from you

What's up
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by hakym619(m): 4:55pm On Aug 14, 2021
tuoyoojo:

What's up
Sir I'm suffering from severe anxiety stemming from the fear of studying MBBS .the Society is scaring the shi* out of my soul. There making me doubt myself
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by tuoyoojo(m): 10:22pm On Aug 14, 2021
hakym619:

Sir I'm suffering from severe anxiety stemming from the fear of studying MBBS .the Society is scaring the shi* out of my soul. There making me doubt myself

I understand. Society has a way of over hyping MBBS. It is stressful agreed but not impossible.

In my life I never took first in class, I would say I am an average student but I passed thru medical school with those are are supposedly brilliant crashing out.

See, Medicine is 20 percent reading, 70 percent God, 10 percent resting. Bf reading ask God for direction so that u can know where to read.

The most difficult part of medicine is getting admitted to medical sch. It is not the hours of reading, it is reading smart. Following the syllable.

Who read nine him serious, who pass nine know book. I wrote JAMB three times until I got the secret.

One of ur assignment is getting to know Which text books they use for jamb. I didn't read every thing but those things in d syllable.

I dont know the book they use now because I wrote jamb in early 2000. I remember they use Nelkon in physics and one old biology boom written in the 70s or 80s. They lift questions from these books verbatim.

Another secret of reading for me was reading and forming a note of what I read using the syllable, using acronyms where necessary to aid retention. This book is what would be by ur side instead of carrying big books about.

Also if did passive reading, where after I have finished reading and maybe I am doing the dishes , I try to recall what I read, if I cant recall, I leave what I am doing and go and check what I can't remember. In so doing it sticks

Set a realistic reading target for your self of the topics to cover and the hours u would spend. Be consistent. Medicine rewards consistency

Remember to rest and unwind. Reading alone would not make u a good doctor, u must go to the bedside...says the father of modern day medicine. ( u would know about him in community medicine).... We coined it to mean, u would need to sleep. We lost some students to mental institutions during medical sch partly because they did not know how to unwind. Rest helps u to improve ur memory

I conclusion my guy, nobody has achieved anything by being afraid. Fear steals from u what u know. There is nothing special in medicine

Know what works for u and exploit it. If reading at night is good for u do it. If its late evening or early morning do it. Dont follow the crowd

There are days ur assimilation would be extra good, utilize those days very well and days where u don't assimilate much, chill and relax
Or go over ur previous notes and jotting. These notes are what u would read the night bf exams not those big text books

I have said so much already. If u need clarification lemme know

4 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by hakym619(m): 7:40am On Aug 15, 2021
tuoyoojo:

I understand. Society has a way of over hyping MBBS. It is stressful agreed but not impossible.

In my life I never took first in class, I would say I am an average student but I passed thru medical school with those are are supposedly brilliant crashing out.

See, Medicine is 20 percent reading, 70 percent God, 10 percent resting. Bf reading ask God for direction so that u can know where to read.

The most difficult part of medicine is getting admitted to medical sch. It is not the hours of reading, it is reading smart. Following the syllable.

Who read nine him serious, who pass nine know book. I wrote JAMB three times until I got the secret.

One of ur assignment is getting to know Which text books they use for jamb. I didn't read every thing but those things in d syllable.

I dont know the book they use now because I wrote jamb in early 2000. I remember they use Nelkon in physics and one old biology boom written in the 70s or 80s. They lift questions from these books verbatim.

Another secret of reading for me was reading and forming a note of what I read using the syllable, using acronyms where necessary to aid retention. This book is what would be by ur side instead of carrying big books about.

Also if did passive reading, where after I have finished reading and maybe I am doing the dishes , I try to recall what I read, if I cant recall, I leave what I am doing and go and check what I can't remember. In so doing it sticks

Set a realistic reading target for your self of the topics to cover and the hours u would spend. Be consistent. Medicine rewards consistency

Remember to rest and unwind. Reading alone would not make u a good doctor, u must go to the bedside...says the father of modern day medicine. ( u would know about him in community medicine).... We coined it to mean, u would need to sleep. We lost some students to mental institutions during medical sch partly because they did not know how to unwind. Rest helps u to improve ur memory

I conclusion my guy, nobody has achieved anything by being afraid. Fear steals from u what u know. There is nothing special in medicine

Know what works for u and exploit it. If reading at night is good for u do it. If its late evening or early morning do it. Dont follow the crowd

There are days ur assimilation would be extra good, utilize those days very well and days where u don't assimilate much, chill and relax
Or go over ur previous notes and jotting. These notes are what u would read the night bf exams not those big text books

I have said so much already. If u need clarification lemme know

One more thing sir.

1) will perfecting a particular level aid success in the succeeding level. Eg, excelling in level II will aid excellence in level III

2) What are MBBS exams? How many are they? Is it synonymous to WAEC ?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by tuoyoojo(m): 9:03am On Aug 15, 2021
hakym619:

One more thing sir.

1) will perfecting a particular level aid success in the succeeding level. Eg, excelling in level II will aid excellence in level III

2) What are MBBS exams? How many are they? Is it synonymous to WAEC ?

Education is a continuum. You build on what u already know. So concentrate on doing well in one level as this would would you in the next level. Like that say " take care of the seconds and the minutes would take care of them selves

The MBBS exams are divided into two preclinicals for year one to year 3, clinicals from year 4 to 6.
Preclinicals year one is mostly science courses.
Year two and three is where u do anatomy, physiology, biochem etc

What u have to cover is much. It would be basically new terrain for every one. So u have to sit for long to read. Know what works for you. Some do better by solo reading, some do better by discussion with others

WAEC is the bedrock of MBBS. Make up to mind to do well here. Try to make many A's and B's because medicine is the survival of the fittest.
Medicine is NOT hard. You would get tired. You would get discouraged esp when ur reading does not tally with ur score but u have to be strong mentally. It is all part of the training

Best wishes

2 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by hakym619(m): 9:17am On Aug 15, 2021
tuoyoojo:

Education is a continuum. You build on what u already know. So concentrate on doing well in one level as this would would you in the next level. Like that say " take care of the seconds and the minutes would take care of them selves

The MBBS exams are divided into two preclinicals for year one to year 3, clinicals from year 4 to 6.
Preclinicals year one is mostly science courses.
Year two and three is where u do anatomy, physiology, biochem etc

What u have to cover is much. It would be basically new terrain for every one. So u have to sit for long to read. Know what works for you. Some do better by solo reading, some do better by discussion with others

WAEC is the bedrock of MBBS. Make up to mind to do well here. Try to make many A's and B's because medicine is the survival of the fittest.
Medicine is NOT hard. You would get tired. You would get discouraged esp when ur reading does not tally with ur score but u have to be strong mentally. It is all part of the training

Best wishes

Thanks Boss.
I'd like to have you as my mentor

1 Like

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by yunqdady: 10:37am On Aug 15, 2021
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by yunqdady: 10:40am On Aug 15, 2021
Drdonzeez:
veteniary medicine, Dentistry and Dental surgery and pharmacy are all tougher than medicine. just that medicine is more difficult to get into.
So Mregghead, see your life.. Sentiments everywhere. Mouth change as you enter your uniben mbbs
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by MrEgghead(m): 6:59pm On Aug 17, 2021
yunqdady:

So Mregghead, see your life.. Sentiments everywhere. Mouth change as you enter your uniben mbbs
Pls explain what you meant by your statement because I don't understand.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by yunqdady: 12:54pm On Aug 20, 2021
MrEgghead:
Pls explain what you meant by your statement because I don't understand.
Keep searching, you will understand
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by DocJoseph(m): 2:00pm On Feb 15, 2022
mowah:
Well, medicine is definitely the toughest course to study in Nigeria, According to statistics only 56% of all admitted medical student in Nigeria end up being a doctor.

First of all, admission into the university to study medicine is really a Big deal. According to jamb only 1.6% of people who apply to study medicine yearly get admitted.
The second barrier is moving from 100l to 200l in the college of medicine, this is another challenge in most schools in Nigeria as the student are required to pass all their courses (@ least 50%) to cross over. Many student's ambition have been cut off at this stage especially in UNILAG as the pass rate for this year was just 40%.

The third barrier is passing the 300l professional second mb exam which has proved to be the toughest stage as students only have 18 months to learn basic medical science courses such as anatomy, physiology and biochemistry. It's just like Learning all the biology, physics and Chemistry you learnt in secondary school in 18 months with rigorous practical classes and all students are required to pass all courses with at least 50%. Student who performed excellently well (above 70%)are rewarded with a distinction, although it's could be as rare as just 5% of the students.

The next step is passing the 3rd MBBS exam which You'll do Harder courses like pharmacology, pathology, microbiology and You'll also be introduced to some Clinical courses also like paediatrics, Gynecology, obstetrics, orthopaedics,forensic medicine etc

The final steps include the Clinical stages where You'll write your 4th and 5th exams. With successful candidates being rewarded with the MBBS degree and will require to complete a one year housemanship and also nysc service.

But, with consistent handwork and study habit. Anyone can be a doctor, thanks
Hope I answered your question well

One funny thing about this Doctors is,
Nigeria Universities/Lecturers trained them well, after they graduate, they couldn't pay them well in Nigeria Hospitals, and they ended up leaving Nigeria to look for a better paid jobs outside Nigeria. They ended up training Nigerian Doctors for U.S and UK enjoyment. So funny!!

Somebody like me, when I finish my MBBS, I will just travel abroad for a well paid jobs.

The truth is, Nigerian Doctors are very good and better than other country's Physicians because of the kind of teachings they received by force and torture�

Entry into Medicine and surgery department is very tough... But with good knowledge in Physics and chemistry right from your secondary school, you can make it. My physics Master in secondary school just finished his MBBS 3yrs ago in UNIUYO, He's working now in the hospital. He scored 350 in Jamb. Why? Because he is good in Physics and chemistry.

In university of Uyo, Medicine and surgery is fail and go! You can imagine that. Even in Jamb, you must score at least 320+....

If you are not ready to killl yourself with 24/7 reading, then forget medicine and surgery.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by trilacos: 4:20pm On Apr 11, 2022

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Unilag 2012/2013 Post UTME/Admissions (Part II) / A Thread For All Prospective\New Postgraduate. Students Of NOUN / Lady Expelled From Covenant University In 300L, Becomes Best Graduating Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.