Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,062 members, 7,835,595 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Why Are Nigerians Not Patriotic; Where Did We Get It All Wrong? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians Not Patriotic; Where Did We Get It All Wrong? (1797 Views)

"We Are Urhobos And Nigerians, Not Biafrans" - Senator Omo-agege / Aisha’s BBC Interview – She Got It All Wrong, My Respect For PMB Just Soars / We Promised 5,000 Naira To 'Vulnerable Nigerians', Not Graduates - Lai Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians Not Patriotic; Where Did We Get It All Wrong? by manny4u(m): 1:44am On Feb 12, 2016
Contrary to 20 years back when we use to pay so much respect to our national emblems, a lot of things are changing now and very fast too, we are gradually slipping down to the greedy philosophy of 'self' instead of National interest. Where did we all get it wrong and how are we going to get out of this carnage?

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Patriotic; Where Did We Get It All Wrong? by afoobabs(m): 2:57am On Feb 12, 2016
:Djamb question but to me i think we got our independent too early
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Patriotic; Where Did We Get It All Wrong? by illmatic101(m): 5:54am On Feb 12, 2016
The Zombies got us into this mess

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Patriotic; Where Did We Get It All Wrong? by BedLam: 6:13am On Feb 12, 2016
How do you want to be patriotic when the government can't even protect you ?
How? When you don't have water , roads, jobs, healthcare and worse of all those even govt aren't patriotic, so why should we ?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Patriotic; Where Did We Get It All Wrong? by bigboss80s(m): 6:31am On Feb 12, 2016
The reason Nigerians are not patriotic to their nation is simple: THIS IS NOT ONE NATION
Nigeria is a group of nations being forced to live together because of oil. The amalgamation of theNorthernand Southern Protectorates was a mistake and that mistake continued because of greed.
When Nigeria does the right thing and starts to practice true federalism, giving each region (nation) autonomy, then you will see true patriotism. But then we all know that is not going to happen.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Patriotic; Where Did We Get It All Wrong? by Kayendy(m): 7:10am On Feb 12, 2016
Simple answer.. some of the citizens don't like d country and can die for their own region.. the Hausa's can. Die for their region and their cause but not for d whole country same with every other tribe and region but no one can die for d country itself cause d country na mix breed
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Patriotic; Where Did We Get It All Wrong? by phemmie06(m): 7:20am On Feb 12, 2016
Unpatriotic indeed, it begins from individual as a person, people will blame government, government blame citizens, so it is individual
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Patriotic; Where Did We Get It All Wrong? by Phame: 8:18am On Feb 12, 2016
An average nigerian is patriotic(even the ipod do), but the poor leadership destroyed that gift.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Patriotic; Where Did We Get It All Wrong? by HtwoOw: 8:26am On Feb 12, 2016
afoobabs:
cheesy jamb question but to me i think we got our independence too early

While that may be right , and as said here
phemmie06:
Unpatriotic indeed, it begins from individual as a person, people will blame government, government blame citizens, so it is individual

But i believe after our indepence , Nigeria was doing fine, obedient, trusting, helpful, cheerful until the first deal breaker (Biafran war )

then there after it has been Disaster after disaster, Military government, They killed and tortured

Civilian government leading to riots and murders

eventually Nigerians realized NO GOVERNMENT cares about them, especially these days with the revelation about Billions and trillions being dashed out to people for unreasonable purposes ? That's how Nigerians realized it's all man for himself,

I think the problem we have is government, if we can have a government that truly cares for citizens, we will trust government and then learn to trust ourselves

The past should not be erased, rather it should be a lesson , an experience, something we can learn from to make Nigeria better again

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Gbogbo Aye Si Ntun Npariwo Pe Buhari O Se Nkankan! / FEMI Fani Kayode Posted This In His Facebook Page After EFCC Siege His House. / I Dey Go Blow Pipeline Tomorrow – Militant Tells Kachikwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.