Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,154 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

Praying Before A Journey - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Praying Before A Journey (1752 Views)

Photos Of Nigerian Soldiers Praying Before Taking On Boko Haram. / Praying Before Eating / What Is The Significance Of Praying Before Eating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Praying Before A Journey by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:48am On Jul 06, 2009
Its monday morning and I decide to take a trip, I got to the park, and board a bus. The nice papa driver slots in a cd and brackets Yori Yori begins to slam out of the speakers. Just as I was thinking the journey would rank as one of my best a baritone voice from behind me starts a prayer that has been going on for the last 15 mins, what is the rationale behind these prayers self, does God choose those who gets accidents and those who do not?
Folks in the UK and US what is it like over there.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Tudor6(f): 8:52am On Jul 06, 2009
In nigeria, theres no travelling bus people don't pray before the journey yet we have a very high accident rate on our roads. Well it seems like the more you pray the greater your chances at an accident- thank goodness they don't pray in airplanes. . . .
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 9:00pm On Jul 28, 2009
Resurrected! wink just returning the favor you've been doing others

Since atheists don't believe prayers work/make a difference, why does it bother you when others do it?
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:42pm On Jul 28, 2009
JeSoul:

Since atheists don't believe prayers work/make a difference, why does it bother you when others do it?
ROTFLMAO grin grin grin grin grin grin
Girl if you were missing me you could have given a call wink wink wink wink wink wink lol you know na cheesy cheesy cheesy

I just wonder the rationale behind the whole kini jo, like someone said if
they pray and no accident , God saw us through
they pray and nearly got an accident, God prevented it from happening
they pray and get an accident, God prevented anyone from getting hurt
they pray still get an accident and some people died, God prevented the rest from dying

seems like twisted logic, but you get the point wink
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 28, 2009
i wonder why the prayer bothers him so much.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:51pm On Jul 28, 2009
davidylan:

i wonder why the prayer bothers him so much.
hehehe my brother why are thou vexing for me na grin grin grin
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Thor(m): 9:52pm On Jul 28, 2009
Tudór:

In nigeria, theres no travelling bus people don't pray before the journey yet we have a very high accident rate on our roads. Well it seems like the more you pray the greater your chances at an accident- thank goodness they don't pray in airplanes. . . .

Nothing to do with praying and allot to do with luck. Nigerians are some of the worlds worst drivers and many have not even passed their tests or bribed someone to pass them anyway.

Driving is like the rest of the country. Totally bleeped up  sad sad

Try asking the great Lord Lucifer to look after you before your next trip, he will scare the shit out of the Xtian and muslim drivers so you should be safe grin grin grin grin
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 10:28pm On Jul 28, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Girl if you were missing me you could have given a call wink wink wink wink wink wink lol you know na cheesy cheesy cheesy

hehe na real miss cheesy I was scrolling thru old topics and stumbled upon yours and figured since you've been resurrecting topics all over the joint, someone should raise yours too since as I see it didn't get much justice done to it.

they pray still get an accident and some people died, God prevented the rest from dying

You know I was thinking of this exact same thing while pondering another matter recently. The fact is many of us can put our total trust in praying to God because we have seen God do things we thought were impossible. Situations have dramatically turned around and doors opened that had seemed immovable.

Now does God always answer prayer? No. Infact I am finding that out each day I pray for something and still don't see it happen 2.5 years and counting now. But does it stop me from still praying? no. Because I know whether or not God chooses to grant a request He does so for my own benefit, for my own good.

Now I understand from the secular point of view you see it as impossible to tell if God "answered" the prayer or not. But from our perspective regardless of what happens,"whether we live or die, it is in God's hands" and that's what's really important. The peace and confidence in leaving it all in His hands and for His glory and His will.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:48pm On Jul 28, 2009
JeSoul:

hehe na real miss cheesy I was scrolling thru old topics and stumbled upon yours and figured since you've been resurrecting topics all over the joint, someone should raise yours too since as I see it didn't get much justice done to it.
Are you sure, wink wink wink wink wink wink I will make a good christian oh,

You know I was thinking of this exact same thing while pondering another matter recently. The fact is many of us can put our total trust in praying to God because we have seen God do things we thought were impossible. Situations have dramatically turned around and doors opened that had seemed immovable.

Now does God always answer prayer? No. Infact I am finding that out each day I pray for something and still don't see it happen 2.5 years and counting now. But does it stop me from still praying? no. Because I know whether or not God chooses to grant a request He does so for my own benefit, for my own good.

Now I understand from the secular point of view you see it as impossible to tell if God "answered" the prayer or not. But from our perspective regardless of what happens,"whether we live or die, it is in God's hands" and that's what's really important. The peace and confidence in leaving it all in His hands and for His glory and His will.
My sentiments exactly, you ever heard of the great prayer experiment?
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 2:09pm On Jul 29, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Are you sure, wink wink wink wink wink wink I will make a good christian oh,
hehe submit your application once you obtain that qualification grin

My sentiments exactly, you ever heard of the great prayer experiment?
No I haven't. Please, enlighten me.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Bota: 2:24pm On Jul 29, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

When you pray sincerely, you are committing yourself and whatever situation occurs into the hands of the almighty God. It is He who decides what course he wants our lives to take.

Re: Praying Before A Journey by Bota: 2:27pm On Jul 29, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

When you pray sincerely, you are committing yourself and whatever situation occurs into the hands of the almighty God. It is He who decides what course he wants our lives to take
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:08pm On Jul 29, 2009
JeSoul:

hehe submit your application once you obtain that qualification grin
No I haven't. Please, enlighten me.
Well it was an experiment to test the proposition that praying for sick patients improves their health. The patients were assigned, strictly at random, to an experimental group (received prayers) or a control group (received no prayers). Neither the patients, nor their doctors or caregivers, nor the experimenters were allowed to know which patients were being prayed for and which patients were controls. The team of researchers spending $2.4 million of Templeton money under the leadership of Dr Herbert Benson, a cardiologist at the Mind/Body Medical Institute near Boston. Dr Benson was earlier quoted in a Templeton press release as 'believing that evidence for the efficacy of intercessory prayer in medicinal settings is mounting'. Dr Benson and his team monitored 1,802 patients at six hospitals, all of whom received coronary bypass surgery. The patients were divided into three groups. Group 1 received prayers and didn't know it. Group 2 (the control group) received no prayers and didn't know it. Group 3 received prayers and did know it. The comparison between Groups 1 and 2 tests for the efficacy of intercessory prayer. Group 3 tests for possible
psychosomatic effects of knowing that one is being prayed for. Prayers were delivered by the congregations of three churches, one in Minnesota, one in Massachusetts and one in Missouri, all distant from the three hospitals.
The results, reported in the American Heart Journal of April 2006, were clear-cut. There was no difference between those patients who were prayed for and those who were not. What a surprise. There was a difference between those who knew they had been prayed for and those who did not know one way or the other; but it went in the wrong direction. Those who knew they had been the beneficiaries of prayer suffered significantly more complications than those who did not.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Praying Before A Journey by manmustwac(m): 12:38am On Jul 30, 2009
JeSoul:

It bothers me coz if am in a taxi travelling from lagos to warri in nigeria i have to close my eyes and pretend to pray like everybody else and after praying the driver will be driving like a stuntman even though he had prayed for a safe journey. A safe journey depends on a safe driver with a car in good working condition good roads and good weather not prayers.

Bota:

When you pray sincerely,[b] you are committing yourself and whatever situation occurs into the hands of the almighty God. [/b]It is He who decides what course he wants our lives to take
So u pray sincerely and wether u die or not during a journey is up to God
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Backup: 2:35am On Jul 30, 2009
Pray afterall prayer is the key. undecided
Re: Praying Before A Journey by toneyb: 10:56am On Jul 30, 2009
Prayer is just a call for help when you are in need and you feel helpless, it makes people feel they are doing something when actually they are doing nothing because there is absolute NO evidence to show that prayer works in any way. Those that pray and those that do not all suffer the same harm and misfortune. There is absolute NO evidence to show that those that pray are better protected than those that do not.

Prayer DOES NOT work. Anything that humans need to do must be done by humans themselves, no god has ever done anything for humanity.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Thor(m): 10:58am On Jul 30, 2009
toneyb:

Prayer is just a call for help when you are in need and you feel helpless, it makes people feel they are doing something when actually they are doing nothing because there is absolute NO evidence to show that prayer works in any way. Those that pray and those that do not all suffer the same harm and misfortune. There is absolute NO evidence to show that those that pray are better protected than those that do not.

Prayer DOES NOT work. Anything that human beins need to do must be done by humans themselves, no god has ever done anything for humanity.

You are absolutely right smiley smiley
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 2:47pm On Jul 30, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Well it was an experiment to test the proposition that praying for sick patients improves their health. The patients were assigned, strictly at random, to an experimental group (received prayers) or a control group (received no prayers). Neither the patients, nor their doctors or caregivers, nor the experimenters were allowed to know which patients were being prayed for and which patients were controls. The team of researchers spending $2.4 million of Templeton money under the leadership of Dr Herbert Benson, a cardiologist at the Mind/Body Medical Institute near Boston. Dr Benson was earlier quoted in a Templeton press release as 'believing that evidence for the efficacy of intercessory prayer in medicinal settings is mounting'. Dr Benson and his team monitored 1,802 patients at six hospitals, all of whom received coronary bypass surgery. The patients were divided into three groups. Group 1 received prayers and didn't know it. Group 2 (the control group) received no prayers and didn't know it. Group 3 received prayers and did know it. The comparison between Groups 1 and 2 tests for the efficacy of intercessory prayer. Group 3 tests for possible
psychosomatic effects of knowing that one is being prayed for. Prayers were delivered by the congregations of three churches, one in Minnesota, one in Massachusetts and one in Missouri, all distant from the three hospitals.
The results, reported in the American Heart Journal of April 2006, were clear-cut. There was no difference between those patients who were prayed for and those who were not. What a surprise. There was a difference between those who knew they had been prayed for and those who did not know one way or the other; but it went in the wrong direction. Those who knew they had been the beneficiaries of prayer suffered significantly more complications than those who did not.
Two things jumped out at me from that summary:

1. They spent $2.4 million dollars on a "prayer study"

2. That any bible-believing church with the most rudimentary of knowledge of God and how He works would have agreed to such an undertaking

I'm not suprised at the results. God is not in the business of "proving" Himself to anyone. He chooses to answer prayers when He wants and[b] how [/b] He wants. And no amount of human coaxing - especially for the wrong reasons - will persuade Him otherwise.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 2:54pm On Jul 30, 2009
manmustwac:

It bothers me coz if am in a taxi travelling from lagos to warri in nigeria i have to close my eyes and pretend to pray like everybody else and after praying the driver will be driving like a stuntman even though he had prayed for a safe journey. A safe journey depends on a safe driver with a car in good working condition good roads and good weather not prayers.
  Would you be suprised to learn that the bible has the same position as you do? with one addition in that God can & will sometimes supernaturally act to prevent an accident. The bible teaches to pray AND act, not just pray alone and I challenge you or anyone else to show me otherwise from the bible.

This is the real problem: Nigerians have completely abused & misunderstood the purpose of prayer. I'll keep saying it, turn to the bible and read what it teaches NOT what people are saying and 'doing' what it is errorneously purported to teach.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:42pm On Jul 30, 2009
JeSoul:

Would you be suprised to learn that the bible has the same position as you do? with one addition in that God can & will sometimes supernaturally act to prevent an accident. The bible teaches to pray AND act, not just pray alone and I challenge you or anyone else to show me otherwise from the bible.

This is the real problem: Nigerians have completely abused & misunderstood the purpose of prayer. I'll keep saying it, turn to the bible and read what it teaches NOT what people are saying and 'doing' what it is errorneously purported to teach.
LOL
Ok I forgot God always tends to disappear when there is a call on him to show himself lol. Prayers make no difference.
grin grin
Re: Praying Before A Journey by mnwankwo(m): 3:46pm On Jul 30, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Hi Chris. How are you? The above study is flawed by the very way it was designed. The researchers seem not to understand what prayer is and how it works. First of all, prayer is to seek and establish connection with God or the power of God.With respect to the prayer for healing, it is mandatory that the person doing the prayer has the ability to establish this connection and draw from the power of God the healing energies or radiations to effect a cure. Secondly, it is also mandatory that the person that should recieve the healing has opened his soul to the healing power of God and that is where faith and conviction in the omnipotence of God comes in. Thirdly, it is also mandatory that the spiritual path of the sick person, that is the threads of fate or karmic threads that are active in the sick person is in synchronism and not antagonistic to the power of God. Fourthly, the healing will help the cured person to advance spiritaully, that is, it will enable the cured person to obey the laws of God here and hereafter. Besides these, their are innumerable conditions which must be fufilled before a genuine healing is granted. Most prayers go unswered because they did not fufill these conditions. Indeed, most prayers do not even go beyound the personal aura of the faith healer, much less make a connection with God. Even the inner life of the researchers (often different from what people see) can strongly interfer with the healing energy. Thus when some researchers as above pronounce that prayers do not work, they are actually laying bare the state of their own souls. If I were them, I will look for individuals whose past activities give strong suggestion that God blessed them with healing ability. I will then randomly select patients  and give them the choice to choose which one they will ask for Gods help. If they do it this way I bet you that atleast one of the patients will recieve a cure which placebo effect cannot accont for. In very serious organic illness like cancer for instance, placebo effect cannot cure. Thus if a cure (not just an improvement) happens in such a case, then it will be clear that an intervention beyound medical science has taken place, that is, a miracle has occured.

Most illness are not meant to be cured because they sufferer still needs the experience for his own maturity or is reaping what they have sown in a past or present lives or  indeed asked for it (often unknown to him) so that he can be prepared for a future task or to make the work of God manifest. Thus it is very possible that one who will in a later incarnation be called to be an exceptional eye surgeon or one with the ability to heal blind people may as part of his training accept to be blind in this earthlife. I do not wish to broaden this picture at this point but just to point out that things are not as simplistic as science or religion seem to suggest. It is true that many prayers are not answered but the reason is that the praying ones have no ability, the recieving ones are unworthy of the healing  and the prayers are not according to the laws of God. A prayer has a chance of reaching God if it is  pure and came out of genuine love. It is this love and purity that gives such prayers the bouyancy to come incontact with the power of God and  in  rare exceptional cases with God himself. Stay blessed.

1 Like

Re: Praying Before A Journey by duduspace(m): 4:23pm On Jul 30, 2009
JeSoul:

I'm not suprised at the results. God is not in the business of "proving" Himself to anyone. He chooses to answer prayers when He wants and[b] how [/b] He wants. And no amount of human coaxing - especially for the wrong reasons - will persuade Him otherwise.

This is an untruth JeSoul, when exactly did god tell you this? assuming what you say is true, why then did he ask Gideon to put skins out for a sign? and why did Elijah have to call down fire from heaven into water? that looks to me like a god who wants to prove himself to people. Only problem is that he is a very inconsistent god who is totally unpredictable and therefore cannot be spoken for by any man.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 6:10pm On Jul 30, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

LOL
Ok I forgot God always tends to disappear when there is a call on him to show himself lol. Prayers make no difference.
grin grin
Your opinion.

My life and experiences and supernatural occurences in impossible circumstances prove beyond all doubt to me that the God I serve and love and will lay my life down for is real.

duduspace:

This is an untruth JeSoul, when exactly did god tell you this? assuming what you say is true, why then did he ask Gideon to put skins out for a sign? and why did Elijah have to call down fire from heaven into water? that looks to me like a god who wants to prove himself to people. Only problem is that he is a very inconsistent god who is totally unpredictable and therefore cannot be spoken for by any man.

Your opinion.

A quick search of bible commentaries will quickly show why millions of christians view and understand those verses you're refering to quite differently.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by duduspace(m): 7:34pm On Jul 30, 2009
JeSoul:

Your opinion.

A quick search of bible commentaries will quickly show why millions of christians view and understand those verses you're refering to quite differently.

Not in any way my opinion, do I have to quote the verses? millions of christians view and accept exactly what I've written until you take the logical step to start questioning the consistency of God's actions, then they degenerate into the the "He is God and does as he pleases" Mantra. You can do better than this.

Your original statement was that god is not in the business of proving himself to anyone which those particular stories from the bible clearly contradicts no matter what the bible commentaries say. Be man/woman enough to accept your original statement was either wrong or God is inconsistent. You can't eat your cake and have it.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:42pm On Jul 30, 2009
@m_nwankwo
I get your point and I can feel your persuasions, problem is every other religious sect has a criteria they think should be met if a miracle must occur. If we ask Jesoul, or davidylan I am pretty sure they would have other ideas too. I hope you get my point.
JeSoul:

Your opinion.

My life and experiences and supernatural occurences in impossible circumstances prove beyond all doubt to me that the God I serve and love and will lay my life down for is real.
Yeah I know the whole personal experience thingy, it may be real to you but I am sure you cannot sell it to us or can you?
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 7:49pm On Jul 30, 2009
duduspace:

Your original statement was that god is not in the business of proving himself to anyone which those particular stories from the bible clearly contradicts no matter what the bible commentaries say. Be man/woman enough to accept your original statement was either wrong or God is inconsistent. You can't eat your cake and have it.

None of the above.

My original statement was that "God is not in the business of proving Himself to anyone" was in the context of replying to Chris' scenario of the research that was done purporting to see if "God really answers prayers".

As to your examples of Gideon and Elijah, the answer is very simple. Were Elijah and Gideon believers in God? yes. They weren't secular, atheist, researchers who aren't genuinely looking for God but moreso another reason to mock God & His believers. God does not go about looking to prove Himself to people like that. and the bible could not be clearer
Rm 1:28 "Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:54pm On Jul 30, 2009
JeSoul:

As to your examples of Gideon and Elijah, the answer is very simple. Were Elijah and Gideon believers in God? yes. They weren't secular, atheist, researchers who aren't genuinely looking for God but moreso another reason to mock God & His believers. God does not go about looking to prove Himself to people like that. and the bible could not be clearer
Rm 1:28 "Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind
em Jesoul the templeton foundation is a christian foundation, the top three religious british scientists were involved, maybe not up to the status of Gideon grin grin but they could suffice no?
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 7:55pm On Jul 30, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Yeah I know the whole personal experience thingy, it may be real to you but I am sure you cannot sell it to us or can you?

I was never trying to.

Do atheists think christians are going about trying to [b]convince [/b]them of God's existence? and His absolute power? well maybe some 'christians' are.

But I repeat as I said to Dudu, the gospel is not meant to be proven or thrust hard enough upon someone so that they become convinced enough to believe it. It is meant to be preached and you either believe it or not. I testify that prayer and faith in God is 'real-er' to me than you are - do you have to believe me? of course not, but understand that I never was or ever will try to 'sell' my faith or experiences to you. Each person must walk their own path and find their own evidence - or as in the atheists case - a lack of it.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 7:58pm On Jul 30, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

em Jesoul the templeton foundation is a christian foundation, the top three religious british scientists were involved, maybe not up to the status of Gideon grin grin but they could suffice no?

Yes, and Creflo Dollar, Paula White, TB Joshua, Oyakhilome and co are all christians too.

The mere fact that they put on a study to see if prayer "works" is a mountain of evidence that this so-called christian foundation do not even know the faith they proclaim to profess.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by duduspace(m): 8:07pm On Jul 30, 2009
JeSoul:

Yes, and Creflo Dollar, Paula White, TB Joshua, Oyakhilome and co are all christians too.

The mere fact that they put on a study to see if prayer "works" is a mountain of evidence that this so-called christian foundation do not even know the faith they proclaim to profess.

In what way are they different from Gideon? isn't Gideon asking for proof some sort of study in his own way?
Re: Praying Before A Journey by duduspace(m): 8:11pm On Jul 30, 2009
JeSoul:

None of the above.

My original statement was that "God is not in the business of proving Himself to anyone" was in the context of replying to Chris' scenario of the research that was done purporting to see if "God really answers prayers".

Why would God need to prove himself to those who already believe in him? isn't that some sort of contradiction? If Gideon already beleived, why ask for a sign?
The proof was not for those who already beleived it was for those who did not, at least according to the story.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 8:23pm On Jul 30, 2009
duduspace:

In what way are they different from Gideon? isn't Gideon asking for proof some sort of study in his own way?
duduspace:

Why would God need to prove himself to those who already believe in him? isn't that some sort of contradiction? If Gideon already beleived, why ask for a sign?
The proof was not for those who already beleived it was for those who did not, at least according to the story.

Again it is very simple, but if it doesn't make sense to you, it is not your fault. 1 Cor 2:13-15.

Gideon is a 'christian' and the others are not.

When a christian approaches God as Gideon did, it is for direction and reassurance that it is indeed God speaking/leading. I pray and ask God for strength and reassurance everyday, the NT teaches this principle many a time.

When a non-christian 'approaches' God as the researchers did, it is for 'proof' of His existence and omnipotence and God does not honor those types of pretentious, superficial advances. He is not a bored, poorly paid magician waiting on humans to demand He show His power at their beck and call - and one day you will find this out with undeniable finality.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Bible Say - "everything Under The Sun Is Complete Meaningless". / How Many Sons Does God Have? / Church Worker Rapes 11-yr Old Girl At Vigil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.