Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,152 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Praying Before A Journey - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Praying Before A Journey (1751 Views)

Photos Of Nigerian Soldiers Praying Before Taking On Boko Haram. / Praying Before Eating / What Is The Significance Of Praying Before Eating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Praying Before A Journey by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:33pm On Jul 30, 2009
Its time to bow out, I don't like the air.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by duduspace(m): 8:45pm On Jul 30, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Its time to bow out, I don't like the air.

Second you Chris, I think I'm the one who is actually obeying Jesus' instruction of being meek and mild. 1 Cor 2: 13-15 might actually apply more to Jesoul than she realises. Can't really understand how Gideon came to be a christian, would like to hear his conversion story.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 8:57pm On Jul 30, 2009
Lol, Jesoul gets a lil tough and it hits hard. Well, at least the thread is here for all to see, read and determine on their own. Jesus sometimes approached with gentleness, other times He approached with a whip. I simply felt it an occasion for the latter.

duduspace:

Second you Chris, I think I'm the one who is actually obeying Jesus' instruction of being meek and mild. 1 Cor 2: 13-15 might actually apply more to Jesoul than she realises. Can't really understand how Gideon came to be a christian, would like to hear his conversion story.
  You must have missed the scripture verse that says "The Kingdom of God suffers violence and the[b] violent [/b] take it by force" Humble n meek does not equal helpless and weak. People forget its the same loving Jesus that unleashed fury in the temple.

Chris,
  becos I like you & yes dudu too, I'm sorry I could not carry on in this thread with the usual geniality you're both used to from me. You must understand as precious and dear as God is to me, I cannot always approach with levity in these matters. Especially when the other side has been known to berate and ridicule Him and therefore me.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:56pm On Jul 30, 2009
JeSoul:

Chris,
  becos I like you & yes dudu too, I'm sorry I could not carry on in this thread with the usual geniality you're both used to from me. You must understand as precious and dear as God is to me, I cannot always approach with levity in these matters. Especially when the other side has been known to berate and ridicule Him and therefore me.
Hopefully you will not loose your self in the violence, lol, when I said you cannot sell your personal experience to us I meant it in way of saying you cannot fully explain it in such a way that we will feel what you felt. There is a lot of bad blood and violence these days ( look at the north ) I was just hoping to have fun. No hard feelings gurl.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by toneyb: 9:58pm On Jul 30, 2009
JeSoul:

When a christian approaches God as Gideon did, it is for direction and reassurance that it is indeed God speaking/leading. I pray and ask God for strength and reassurance everyday, the NT teaches this principle many a time.

How do you know this? Are you claiming to speak for all christians? This is your own opinion and interpretation of what the bible is supposed to say.

When a non-christian 'approaches' God as the researchers did, it is for 'proof' of His existence and omnipotence and God does not honor those types of pretentious, superficial advances. He is not a bored, poorly paid magician waiting on humans to demand He show His power at their beck and call - and one day you will find this out with undeniable finality.

Have your forgotten the contest that took place between prophet elijah and the prophets of baal according to the bible? Why was the test organised? Was it not to prove to the "infidel" baal worshippers that yahweh is greater and more powerful than their god? The bible talks only about faith. Jesus in the bible says that if you believe in him you will be able to perform magic, belief is the ONLY requirement and the bible doesn't say all the things you guys are telling yourself so that you will be able to sleep at night after praying and realizing that your prayers are nothing but you guys wishing and talking to yourselfs.

Infact Jesus talks about signs that will follow those that believe in him and it also says they will do greater things than what was written about him, I am yet to see any christian walk on water, turn water into wine, heal a blind person or heal an amputee.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by bindex(m): 10:19pm On Jul 30, 2009
This prayer thing is very funny because there is no way you can get around it. If you pray for a safe journey and an accident occurs people will still thank their god for saving their lives if they survive, if some people die or get hurt an excuse will be giving for god not protecting the people or allowing the accident to take place.  . god gets all the glory weather good or bad happens.

People are ALWAYS giving excuses for god, the reason is since men created all the gods they have to not only define who the gods are but they will have to keep speaking and giving excuses for their various gods.

As toneyb has said prayer is only a call or cry for help when you are helpless and it makes you feel as if you are doing something when actually you are doing nothing but just hoping and wishing that things will happen as you want them to happen. It makes the person praying feel better. If prayer worked for anything, there would be statistical evidence that the religious are better protected or suffer less harm than the non religious but that is not the case, we all suffer the same harm and misfortune.

If you read the bible it talks exactly how prayer is supposed to work. Believe in jesus are you will be able to perform magic through praying.  Christians keep giving excuses for their god for never acting, reason is that since he exist only in their imaginations they are constantly making excuses for him. If prayers works christians will be perfoming magic as the bible says end of story.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by mazaje(m): 10:30pm On Jul 30, 2009
Kai bindex yane? Ina airport yanzu, ya naija ne? Yan BOKO HARAM so na ta yanyan ka jama'a. Ba za ka je su yan yan ka ka ba ko? grin grin grin grin

bindex:

If prayers works christians will be perfoming magic as the bible says end of story.

Pastor Adeboye perfromed such magic. . . .he said he drove for over 300km on an empty tank. . . . . can you beat that?
Re: Praying Before A Journey by bindex(m): 10:36pm On Jul 30, 2009
Yane? Kabari kawai, mahaukatan nan baza su dena hauka ba she gun banza. Ne yanzo ma a kano nake zan shege abuja gobe. Boko haram sun chi uwarsu. Shegu barayin banza. Na turo ma number na, ka duba offline din ka.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 1:35pm On Jul 31, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Hopefully you will not loose your self in the violence, lol, when I said you cannot sell your personal experience to us I meant it in way of saying you cannot fully explain it in such a way that we will feel what you felt. There is a lot of bad blood and violence these days ( look at the north ) I was just hoping to have fun. No hard feelings gurl.
  And none here either. And don't be so shocked the next time you see me with a whip aight? smiley Don't let the calm facade fool you sweetie, I gets fierce too.

toneyb:

How do you know this? Are you claiming to speak for all christians? This is your own opinion and interpretation of what the bible is supposed to say.
  In this instance yes. I will be so bold as to declare I do speak for all bible-believing christians on that statement. You're not a christian so I hold you wouldn't know much about what was the right or wrong interpretation/application of a biblical principle.

Have your forgotten the contest that took place between prophet elijah and the prophets of baal according to the bible? Why was the test organised? Was it not to prove to the "infidel" baal worshippers that yahweh is greater and more powerful than their god? The bible talks only about faith. Jesus in the bible says that if you believe in him you will be able to perform magic, belief is the ONLY requirement and the bible doesn't say all the things you guys are telling yourself so that you will be able to sleep at night after praying and realizing that your prayers are nothing but you guys wishing and talking to yourselfs.
  Yet again, I reiterate, Elijah was the one praying to God for a sign - not the prophets of Baal. God answered Elijah, the prophets of Baal were never calling on God but on their own gods.

@ Everything else you and Bindex said,
Your unfortunate opinions of the scripture and you're certainly entitled to them. Cheers.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by mnwankwo(m): 1:51pm On Jul 31, 2009
@m_nwankwo
I get your point and I can feel your persuasions, problem is every other religious sect has a criteria they think should be met if a miracle must occur. If we ask Jesoul, or davidylan I am pretty sure they would have other ideas too. I hope you get my point.

Hi Chris. I do get your point. But your observation that several ideas on miracles are floating around is not enough reason to believe that miracles do not occur or that prayer does not work. One quality that I admire in you is your quest for evidence. I hope you do not ignore this quest for evidence before you conclude on miracles and related matters. I think that is fair to say that you have not yet found evidence that prayer works but it is unfair to say that prayer does not work at all. To say that prayer does not work at all implies that you have objectively looked at all the evidence.  I just hope that you keep searching for the evidence or lack of it. Stay blessed.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 2:00pm On Jul 31, 2009
m_nwankwo:

I think that is fair to say that you have not yet found evidence that prayer works but it is unfair to say that prayer does not work at all. To say that prayer does not work at all implies that you have objectively looked at all the evidence.  I just hope that you keep searching for the evidence or lack of it.  
  Worthy of being quoted.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by duduspace(m): 2:01pm On Jul 31, 2009
JeSoul:

Chris,
becos I like you & yes dudu too, I'm sorry I could not carry on in this thread with the usual geniality you're both used to from me.

Yes I know Jesoul and the feelin is mutual but you do have an unusual way of showin it, just when I expected yu to welcome me back to the forum with open arms like the prodigal son and ask where my wanderings have led me to, you go all Hezbollah on me.

JeSoul:

You must understand as precious and dear as God is to me, I cannot always approach with levity in these matters. Especially when the other side has been known to berate and ridicule Him and therefore me.

Yep the same way I understand those misguided souls killing people in the North and almost killed me in Kaduna in 2002 and before you go all Hezbollah on me again my point is that while you might not descend to killing people, the influences that motivate your actions are basically the same.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 2:18pm On Jul 31, 2009
duduspace:

Yes I know Jesoul and the feelin is mutual but you do have an unusual way of showin it, just when I expected yu to welcome me back to the forum with open arms like the prodigal son and ask where my wanderings have led me to, you go all Hezbollah on me.
  I know, I know and I'm sorry  kiss  Let me put it this way. You would find it hard to constantly be jolly friends with a white man who openly, proudly and constantly declares his utter hate and contempt for black people wouldn't you? Now juxtapose that analogy onto this situation. I personally like a few atheists here on NL but again, surely you must see the problem.

Yep the same way I understand those misguided souls killing people in the North and almost killed me in Kaduna in 2002 and before you go all Hezbollah on me again my point is that while you might not descend to killing people, the influences that motivate your actions are basically the same.
   shocked wow eya I understand your antagonism towards religion better and honestly you're justified in doing so.

But my dear dudu the influences that motivate me are soooo light years away and universes different from what motivates religious fanatics. I am motivated not just because I love God, but because I love my fellow men & women and want the best for them.

I believe the world will end someday and those who haven't believed in Jesus will be cast away forever - I care enough to warn and tell as many people as I am able to so that they believe and are saved too. You have no idea how much my heart hurts for my unbelieving friends, and how I pray and wish their eyes would be opened and their hearts be enlightened to the truth. And as much as I care, God cares a billion times more - and this is my motivation.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by bindex(m): 3:13pm On Jul 31, 2009
Duduspace. whats up with you? Long time hope you are doing good out there nice to see you here after quite a while. I am presently in Nigeria and I am doing very very well. Cheers
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 3:50pm On Jul 31, 2009
See this yeye Bindex, where are my caribbean tickets? Abi you think say I forget? cool
Re: Praying Before A Journey by duduspace(m): 4:20pm On Jul 31, 2009
Thanks Bindex, I'm good and I've now got a job with CPWN in the UK despite the credit whatever. I had to move house from Edinburgh to Preston and also switched my Broadband and phone provider to TalkTalk (I am yet to get my broadband up and I'm actually posting from the office). How did your pilot training go? and are yu back to stay in Nigeria or yu'll be jettin out again?
Re: Praying Before A Journey by GEW: 4:25pm On Jul 31, 2009
restless sinners
Re: Praying Before A Journey by duduspace(m): 4:47pm On Jul 31, 2009
JeSoul:

I know, I know and I'm sorry  kiss  Let me put it this way. You would find it hard to constantly be jolly friends with a white man who openly, proudly and constantly declares his utter hate and contempt for black people wouldn't you? Now juxtapose that analogy onto this situation. I personally like a few atheists here on NL but again, surely you must see the problem.

I don't declare utter hate and contempt for theists now do I? well maybe it sounds like a bit of contempt but I can assure you that such contempt is never intended.

JeSoul:

shocked wow eya I understand your antagonism towards religion better and honestly you're justified in doing so.

But my dear dudu the influences that motivate me are soooo light years away and universes different from what motivates religious fanatics. I am motivated not just because I love God, but because I love my fellow men & women and want the best for them.

I believe the world will end someday and those who haven't believed in Jesus will be cast away forever - I care enough to warn and tell as many people as I am able to so that they believe and are saved too. You have no idea how much my heart hurts for my unbelieving friends, and how I pray and wish their eyes would be opened and their hearts be enlightened to the truth. And as much as I care, God cares a billion times more - and this is my motivation.

I agree that not all theists are evil people just as all atheists are not good people, human nature does find away to to break through our belief systems lending some credence to the idea that we are inherently all animals with primal instincts no matter how far we have advanced. It is good that we do have a common ground in loving our fellow man.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by duduspace(m): 4:50pm On Jul 31, 2009
GEW:

restless sinners

delusional bigot in situ
Re: Praying Before A Journey by GEW: 4:58pm On Jul 31, 2009
duduspace:

delusional bigot in situ
i wonder why you made restless sinner your name
Re: Praying Before A Journey by duduspace(m): 5:07pm On Jul 31, 2009
GEW:

i wonder why you made restless sinner your name

I wonder why a sane person would shout restless sinner at no one
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:35pm On Jul 31, 2009
m_nwankwo:

Hi Chris. I do get your point. But your observation that several ideas on miracles are floating around is not enough reason to believe that miracles do not occur or that prayer does not work. One quality that I admire in you is your quest for evidence. I hope you do not ignore this quest for evidence before you conclude on miracles and related matters. I think that is fair to say that you have not yet found evidence that prayer works but it is unfair to say that prayer does not work at all. To say that prayer does not work at all implies that you have objectively looked at all the evidence.  I just hope that you keep searching for the evidence or lack of it. Stay blessed.
I am once again humbled by your wisdom sir, I concede and totally agree with you. In all honesty I need to say that most of what happens we do not know, the reason I tend towards believing it has nothing to do with the supernatural is because I tend to trust the things I see with my own eyes better and I try not to be prejudiced.
Another reason I opened this thread is I was trying to point out that the things we are used to doing every time and get the same response tend to loose value in our eyes, that was why I asked what it was like for people outside Nigeria, I think that people in the US where the road system is better than ours might not be in the habit of praying. Are the number of accidents and bad roads in Nigeria not a factor why people pray before a journey?
JeSoul:

And none here either. And don't be so shocked the next time you see me with a whip aight? smiley Don't let the calm facade fool you sweetie, I gets fierce too.

The more reason I was bowing out, this aint aabout defending your religion gurl it is mostly about discussing people's mindsets, plus you wouldnt want us to air our dirty laundry on nairaland na wink wink so I did the craig david and walked away, now you are going all chingy on me and something keeps pulling me back grin grin grin grin
Re: Praying Before A Journey by JeSoul(f): 6:54pm On Jul 31, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

The more reason I was bowing out, this aint aabout defending your religion gurl it is mostly about discussing people's mindsets
  You're right. I shall be more cautious and alert in the future. However I am sure you surely sympathize with why I switched to defense mode right?  smiley
plus you wouldnt want us to air our dirty laundry on nairaland na wink wink so I did the craig david and walked away, now you are going all chingy on me and something keeps pulling me back grin grin grin grin
  hehe, whatever is hidden will surely be exposed  smiley 
I knewest not Sir Chris is also a connoisseur in music  smiley what else am I going to find out about you? And by the way I am still waiting on your top 20.

Duduspace, (which kin name be that sef lol)
  issall good brotha. How have you been by the way?
Re: Praying Before A Journey by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:00pm On Jul 31, 2009
JeSoul:

You're right. I shall be more cautious and alert in the future. However I am sure you surely sympathize with why I switched to defense mode right?  smiley
  hehe, whatever is hidden will surely be exposed  smiley 
I knewest not Sir Chris is also a connoisseur in music  smiley what else am I going to find out about you? And by the way I am still waiting on your top 20.
I have been lazy lol oya I am going back to work where was I enmmmmmm number 2
Re: Praying Before A Journey by duduspace(m): 10:00pm On Jul 31, 2009
JeSoul:

Duduspace, (which kin name be that sef lol)
  issall good brotha. How have you been by the way?

I'm fine o, my sister from another mother. As to my name, don't want to wax lyrical about it like V, but dudu (black) signifies the obscured and unknown (which is not necessarily a bad thing as it is made out to be) and space signifies adventure and search for the yet unknown. Basically, I'm a curious individual and curiosity is yet to kill me.
Re: Praying Before A Journey by manmustwac(m): 11:14pm On Jul 31, 2009
JeSoul:

I know, I know and I'm sorry kiss Let me put it this way. You would find it hard to constantly be jolly friends with a white man who openly, proudly and constantly declares his utter hate and contempt for black people wouldn't you? Now juxtapose that analogy onto this situation. I personally like a few atheists here on NL but again, surely you must see the problem.

There was no beforelife. So there will be no afterlife.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Drawing God And Heaven / Between Jehovah's Witness And Freemasons. / Mary Interceding On Behalf Of Catholic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.