Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread (1288 Views)

TP Mazembe Wins CAF Confederations Cup Back To Back / NFF Officials Inspect FC Ifeanyi Ubah Stadium Ahead Of CAF Confederations Cup / CAF Champions League: Etoile Du Sahel Vs Enyimba 3(3) - 0(4) On 20th April 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 2:12pm On Feb 12, 2016
Welcome
[b]African clubs begin continental trek
(African Football Media) Friday 12 February 2016
From the start, the 2016 CAF Champions League affords 55 clubs an opportunity to take on the world's best at December's FIFA Club World Cup in Japan. That opportunity is, of course, extended to only one team – the winner of the showpiece event of African club football, who will have played at least 14 matches by the time they finally qualify for the global event.
Africa's biggest club competition kicks-off this weekend with the first leg matches in the preliminary round, which already sees several big names in African club football competing, including previous winners like Vita Club, Enyimba, Wydad Casablanca, ASEC Mimosas, Union Douala and Club Africain.
Pick of the matches
Arguably the pick of the matches in the preliminary round sees 1991 winners Club Africain take on first-timers AS Tanda from Cote d'Ivoire, who stunned the more established clubs in the west African country by winning their first league title just a few years after first gaining promotion to the top flight. Their Tunisian opponents, who will be hosting the first leg, have had their request to have 55,000 fans in the stadium in Rades turned down by officials, who have said that only 15,000 tickets can be sold due to security concerns.
The other stand-out fixture sees Ghanaian club Ashanti Gold, who lost the 1997 final, take on Algerian club MO Bejaia. Last year all three Algerian clubs involved in the competition made it through to the group phase, but Bejaia will have to dig deep if they want to beat the Premier League winners. Ashanti midfielder Eric Opoku, who was given the league's MVP award, believes that they go into the game with a slight disadvantage. “[Bejaia] are well-organised and with their league still in session, they are fitter for the game than we are. We will have to defend more and play on the counter attack as we are behind in terms of match fitness,” Opoku told reporters ahead of the game.
Welsh legend
Making his first appearance as a coach in the competition is former Real Madrid manager John Toshack. The Welsh football legend, who won the UEFA European Champions League during a distinguished playing career with Liverpool, won the Moroccan league with Wydad Casablanca last season. The Moroccan club will face AS Douanes Niamey from Niger in a tie they are expected to win.
Only one South African club has ever won the competition, and that was 21 years ago when Orlando Pirates lifted the trophy. Kaizer Chiefs and Sundowns FC are the two South African clubs representing the country this time around and are hoping to do better than last year, when they were both eliminated in the first round. But before they get to that stage, they have to knock-out Colcan Club and Chicken Inn respectively.
For Sundowns the visit to Bulawayo to face the Zimbabwean champions, Chicken Inn, offers players Cuthbert Malajila and Khama Billiat the opportunity to return to their home country, while Sundowns team manager Peter Ndlovu, who is regarded as one of the greatest-ever players to have come from the southern African country, is actually known as the “Bulawayo Bullet”.
Uganda's Vipers are hoping to keep the momentum of the east African country going. They have drawn a tough opponent in two-time African champions, Nigeria's Enyimba, whose captain Chinedu Udoji says the first leg will be key. “We are playing the current champions of Uganda, and we know they are a good side. We have no choice than to win, and we plan to play well and return to Nigeria with a good result."
The return legs will be played over the weekend of February 26–28, with the first round proper consisting of 32 teams being played over two weekends in March. April's second round will see 16 teams whittled to eight, which will set up the two groups of four.[/b]

http://m.fifa.com/world-match-centre/cafchampionsleague/news/newsid/276/486/2/index.html

cc empredboy
bantino lawsimon
Everstar200
jaymaxxy sarutobie
Taiocol
Vfactor
groundnutoil
krasid
Sxholes0007
Robosky02
Dexema Xcex
Pemale Ewosk
Northboy kenzysmith
honeric01
Shaggyosas Muzzol
Rolings Internetpo Caius innunique
jaypea98
Wink2015 Realsleek
MaxiOmenuko
Iseyinoro
crownprince102 atheistandproud
Ajibel Uduokirika1

1 Like

Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 2:22pm On Feb 12, 2016
Enyimba vs Vipers
line up
#VipersEnyimba Our Subs: Ocheje, Anaemena, Ike, Kester, Anaezemba, Etor and Chukwude
#VipersEnyimba : Afelokhai, Udoji, Uche, Uwadiegwu, Ojo, Anyanwu, Abalogu, Onyekachi, Pyagbara, Oladapo & Osadiaye
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 2:31pm On Feb 12, 2016
#CAFCL: Paul Aigbogun: We are going to give a 100 percent
Head coach of Enyimba Paul Aigbogun says the team will give a hundred percent when they play Ugandan champions Vipers on Friday in a CAF Champions League preliminary round first leg fixture.
In an exclusive chat with EnyimbaFC.net, Aigbogun said he and his boys had prepared adequately and will give a good fight come match day.
"One thing I'd say is that we are going to give 100 percent," he said. "It's a CAF Champions League game and it's big, but I believe by God's grace we would come out with a result that will make everyone happy."
He said he wasn't under pressure going into his first competitive game with the two-time African champions. "I'm not bothered, I am not under pressure. Given the time scale, we prepared as best as we could for the game. We are focused and we will go out on Friday and give everything we've got.
"It may be my first competitive game with the team but it's not an issue. This is a club very experienced on the continent and a lot of the players here have been in big games, so there's no issue."
Reacting to suggestions in the Ugandan press that Vipers were plotting a major upset for their more fancied opponents, Aigbogun said: "It's more important what we do than what the other team is saying. I'm not reading about what's coming from the camp of the opponents. It's what we do here that matters. My focus in on our team and a good result, nothing more."
Friday's game will take place at 4pm local time (2pm Nigerian) inside the
Nakivubo stadium.
http://enyimbafc.net
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 2:34pm On Feb 12, 2016
Read from bottom to top......
Osadiaye, Onyekachi and Pyagbara are the thorn in the sides of the Ugandans. Would we see one of them on the scoresheet before full-time?

The momentum is shifting steadily & we are making inroads into the Vipers box. The crowd is growing increasingly nervous. A goal is imminent

Chance for Pyagbara! He beats two players inside the box but shoots wide! Seconds later, Udoji's header is cleared off the line!

17' | 0-0 | Vipers get close again with a quick one two inside the box but Halid Lwaliwa couldn't keep his one time volley on target.

14' We get the first corner kick of the game, taken by Uwadiegwu and headed wide by Abalogu. Vipers 0-0 Enyimba. #VipersEnyimba

12' 0-0 | Vipers with a chance from a free kick on the edge of our box but Mike Mufyaba's attempt is inches away from Afelokhai's left post.

5' Vipers 0-0 Enyimba. It's a cagey opening five minutes here in Nakivubo with the home crowd roaring their team on.
#VipersEnyimba #CAFCL

And we are off here in Kampala! Great crowd, fantastic atmosphere.
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 2:38pm On Feb 12, 2016
We are going down hard on this match.
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 2:39pm On Feb 12, 2016
29' Big miss! Abalogu with the best chance so far after a square ball from Pyagbara but he fails to put the ball into an empty net.
come-on boys
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by Ajibel(m): 2:45pm On Feb 12, 2016
Relying on updates from twitter.com/EnyimbaFC
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by Ajibel(m): 2:46pm On Feb 12, 2016
@EnyimbaFC: 14' We get the first corner kick of the game, taken by Uwadiegwu and headed wide by Abalogu. Vipers 0-0 Enyimba. #VipersEnyimba
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 2:52pm On Feb 12, 2016
40' | 0-0 | Vipers make a change. Allan Kyambadda comes in for Patr
ick Ssembuya
This is what the Nakivubo looks like as we approach half-time scoreless. | 0-0 |
Tension in the air....

Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 2:53pm On Feb 12, 2016
Ajibel:
@EnyimbaFC: 14' We get the first corner kick of the game, taken by Uwadiegwu and headed wide by Abalogu. Vipers 0-0 Enyimba. #VipersEnyimba
Welcome sir
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 2:54pm On Feb 12, 2016
HT: Vipers 0-0 Enyimba. An entertaining 1st half that we have performed brilliantly without scoring. What are your thoughts for the second?
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by robosky02(m): 2:58pm On Feb 12, 2016
ok lets go there EN- yim- ba
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 3:12pm On Feb 12, 2016
Vipers get the second half underway. | 0-0
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 3:13pm On Feb 12, 2016
Another change for Vipers. In comes William Wadri. Out goes Keziron Kizito. | 0-0 |
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 3:43pm On Feb 12, 2016
73' Vipers get the opening goal, substitute William Wadri the scorer. Vipers 1-0 Enyimba
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by Ajibel(m): 3:51pm On Feb 12, 2016
@EnyimbaFC: Two minutes have been added on. Vipers still lead 1-0, thanks to Wadri's moment of brilliance.

m.twitter.com/EnyimbaFC
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by Ajibel(m): 3:51pm On Feb 12, 2016
FT 1-0
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 4:04pm On Feb 12, 2016
Enyimba lost today but it was aan outstanding performance overall
That 1 0 deficit will be up turned on the 27th when they visit Aba for the return leg.
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by zuchyblink(m): 4:50pm On Feb 12, 2016
Our clubs are not getting it right in the continent. I blame European clubs for this.
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by Krasid(m): 5:08pm On Feb 12, 2016
DrinkWater10:
Enyimba lost today but it was aan outstanding performance overall
That 1 0 deficit will be up turned on the 27th when they visit Aba for the return leg.

I heared the Enyimba stadium is being renovated and would unlikely be ready in time for the return leg.Likely venue for the 2nd leg would be the Adokiye Amiesimaka stadium in PH.I hope this does not affect the team in any way.
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by groundnutoil(m): 9:30pm On Feb 12, 2016
Drinkwater102 u d try jor i d folow ur thread like kilode bt enyimba f up shit
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 12:52am On Feb 13, 2016
groundnutoil:
Drinkwater102 u d try jor i d folow ur thread like kilode bt enyimba f up shit
Thank you sir
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 12:55am On Feb 13, 2016
zuchyblink:
Our clubs are not getting it right in the continent. I blame European clubs for this.
Well according to the live updates enyimba created lots of chances anddominated most parts of the game ....poor execution actually cost us the game. But rest assured,we shall thump them at home.....

1 Like

Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by DrinkWater10: 1:03am On Feb 13, 2016
Krasid:
I heared the Enyimba stadium is being renovated and would unlikely be ready in time for the return leg.Likely venue for the 2nd leg would be the Adokiye Amiesimaka stadium in PH.I hope this does not affect the team in any way.
I haven't heard anything about that but the people contracted to re grass and install proper drainage system in the stadium promised to deliver two weeks before the league's commencement.
Check this out...
Egbe: Technical Enyimba will prosper on new surface
The club’s commitment to being the avant-garde in terms of Nigerian, and indeed African football, was affirmed recently by the recruitment of leading facility developer, Monimichelle.
The sport facility development company, in partnership with Limonta Sports – a FIFA-designated preferred producer of turf – can boast of some of the best stadium flooring obtainable anywhere in the world. It is this standard that will be brought to bear on the Enyimba International Stadium in the build-up to the 2016 Nigeria Professional Football League season.
Recently, enyimbafc.net caught up with the CEO Monimichelle Ebi Egbe, who revealed that the ongoing stadium renovation is in line with the club’s footballing goals.
“Most of the stadia in Nigeria pass the eye test, but there are a lot of imperfections. On the continent, only in South Africa do we have anything approaching what is obtainable in most European stadia,” he said.
“As such, it usually takes a while for players to get used to the new playing surface. That said, Enyimba are a very technical team who play along the ground, so they will get to grips with it a lot quicker. It would even give an advantage over visiting teams.”
Egbe also stressed the merits of the new Geoturf technology, which is a huge departure from the 100% synthetic fibre that is more commonplace in these parts.
“What was previously obtainable has been found to have various health implications. The rubber-based fibre is made from the same material as car tyres, which under hot weather breaks down over time, giving off carcinogenic fumes.”
These concerns led to the evolution of organic infill, the patented concept on which Geoturf is based. Incorporating a mix of coconut fibre, cork and rice husk, it is now the preferred technology worldwide.
“We received commendation from (former Nigeria national team coach) Stephen Keshi, who is notoriously wary of artificial surfaces, for our work in (the Karkanda Stadium) Katsina state,” he beamed.
On the timeframe for completion on the Enyimba International Stadium, Egbe was bullish. “Our target is not just to be ready in time for the opening CAF Champions League game, but for the team to be able to train on it for two weeks prior!
“However, this is a very capital-intensive project. We are in partnership with the state government, and the cooperation has been very encouraging. If they continue to hold up their end, we will most certainly deliver.”

1 Like

Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by taiocol: 8:59am On Feb 13, 2016
Signing in smiley
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by taiocol: 1:31pm On Feb 13, 2016
Warri Wolves qualify for #CAFCL first round after Sporting Praia da Cruz pulled out. Warri Wolves to face Al-Merriekh of Sudan next.
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by taiocol: 1:32pm On Feb 13, 2016
Recuperating Akwa United defender, Namso Edo has charged his teammates to win for him at Congolese side Vita Club Mokanda.

The Promise Keepers’ strongman picked up a muscle tear against Nasarawa United in the Kaduna’s leg of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Super 4 tournament.

The Federation Cup and NPFL Super 4 winners will be the guests of the Central African side in CAF Confederation Cup first leg clash today in Pointe-Noire, Republic of Congo.

Edo charged his side to go for a comfortable result that will ease their work load in the reverse fixture in Nigeria.

“I did not travel with my teammates for the clash against Vita Club Mokanda in Congo. The coach preferred me to rest to avoid complication on the thigh injury so that I will be 100% fit for the reverse fixture.

“I wish the side well against the Congolese and I personally charged my teammates to shine in my absence and win for me. Most of the players have been waiting for this wonderful opportunity for quite some time, so they must make the chance count positively.

“Even if they don’t record an outright win or draw they must not concede goals but score to make the second leg work easier. Continental competition is quite different from domestic duty so they must come back with a result that will help usto excel in the competition,” said Edo to supersport.com.

Edo is already training and will be fit for the reverse fixture in a fortnight at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo.
Re: 2016 Caf Champions League & Caf Confederations Cup Thread by internetpo(m): 6:25pm On Apr 07, 2016
Any updates on this. Have aour nigerian teams fallen out of the tournaments?

(1) (Reply)

Today's Football Betting Tips / OFFICIAL: Ibrahimovic announces Manchester United move / Mayweather Vs McGregor : Mayweather Flaunts Cheque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.