Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,425 members, 7,822,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) (1310 Views)

Do U Have Bookshop In Nigeria? See Epic Reply By Chimamanda To French Journalist / Yewande Omotoso & Ayobami Adebayo Nominated Baileys Women’s Prize For Fiction / MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) by Divepen1(m): 8:25pm On Feb 12, 2016
I have tried to work with many people on how they can be better but the program had to stop because they were all busy and didn't have time for the assignments I gave. And it really frustrated me
So this night, when someone chatted me up. I felt I won't accept anyone unless they have proved themselves worthy.
I thank God I didn't get the person's name So none would know his name.
I told him to write 500 words for 10 days and send it to me.
And that he should share 50 posts from Nigerianwritershub.com

After he pleaded for sometimes that those words were too much, and I insisted on his writing the words but I reduced the post to 20. He sent 'Smh'

Now, it's so disheartening that many of us see fiction as a joke.
People left jobs to be fiction writers.
Daphne Du Maurier wrote 200k words in 10 weeks that's about 2500 words per day.

Eugenia W.Collier wrote the marigold for 24 hours. Don't be a wimp.
Many of you tell me you desire to write but you are not ready to write.
Frank Anozie ( Frank317) is an Extremely busy man. But he never stops writing
Repogirl( Peju Amadi ) is so busy with her works. But she writes despite hectic days with family.

Doctor Royver shouldn't spare his time for any other thing but he gives it to writing and he doesn't just wish.
remen Zack though new here writes daily
Talk of Larrysun, D9ty7.
It so pained me.

Please if you want me to guide you in writing.

You must follow that procedure.. too. I'm tired of people's promises.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) by greatbrian(m): 8:41pm On Feb 12, 2016
Space booked
Re: See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) by repogirl(f): 10:41pm On Feb 12, 2016
Lol, its funny sha.

He wants to write but doesn't want to write...the more I think about it, the funnier it gets.

Some people believe everyone has a story in them but for me, I believe if you want to be a writer but you have never been able to pen down even the most silliest story, then you really shouldn't bother, its just not there.

Growing up I really wished I could be a song writer but I couldn't write any meaningful song neither could I string the shortest sentence together in harmony, and trust me, I tried and tried. If its not there, its just not there.

Also to be a writer, you should first be an avid reader. How can you write when you don't know how its done? If you read novels, you would have an idea on the basics of how a story is strewn together.

You really don't need anyone to teach you anything much about writing. The mind of a writer is laden with characters, plots and stories that are just waiting to be put down.

I'm not saying writing is always smooth but if you wish to write, you will put down something even if it takes you years to finish because the story will not let you be, it will keep bugging you and before you know it, you will have no choice but to write about it.

If you want to write, don't think too much. Just write.

5 Likes

Re: See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) by ashewoboy(m): 10:56pm On Feb 12, 2016
Shout out to all the writers on this forum.

Repogirl, an impeccable writer, i love you.

3 Likes

Re: See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) by repogirl(f): 11:23pm On Feb 12, 2016
ashewoboy:
Shout out to all the writers on this forum.

Repogirl, an impeccable writer, i love you.
lol.... Thanks for the love.
Re: See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) by ashewoboy(m): 11:29pm On Feb 12, 2016
repogirl:
lol.... Thanks for the love.
uwc smiley
Re: See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) by RemenZack(f): 5:43pm On Feb 13, 2016
Thanks for the recognition I didn't even expect at all. I'm really pleased about this. We ought to write daily, especially if it's Fiction. It's called Fiction for a real reason.
Re: See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) by teechudleyy(f): 6:48pm On Feb 13, 2016
Wow. The first thing you need as a writer is the passion. Anyone that comes up with so much excuse is not after writing but after the monetary reward. When some of us are trying hard to write much or words and type faster and faster... someone is here saying 500 words is too much. Isnt that like the length of high school level english essay?
Re: See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) by Divepen1(m): 6:59pm On Feb 13, 2016
RemenZack:
Thanks for the recognition I didn't even expect at all. I'm really pleased about this. We ought to write daily, especially if it's Fiction. It's called Fiction for a real reason.
Yes ooo

1 Like

Re: See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) by Divepen1(m): 7:02pm On Feb 13, 2016
teechudleyy:
Wow. The first thing you need as a writer is the passion. Anyone that comes up with so much excuse is not after writing but after the monetary reward. When some of us are trying hard to write much or words and type faster and faster... someone is here saying 500 words is too much. Isnt that like the length of high school level english essay?
I wonder o. I write up 2k and try to beat d record daily.
Re: See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) by An0nimus: 5:05am On Feb 14, 2016
Hello Divepen1, good job with what you're doing.

Do permit me to give you an unsolicited advice: next time someone chats you up on writing but types in textspeak tell them to first write every word in full. They should endeavor to always type words in full when chatting, on Facebook, on NL, even when sending an sms.

It's a good way to start.

It feels like getting stabbed by a pen anytime I see someone who wants to be a writer typing in textspeak.

3 Likes

Re: See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) by apholaryn: 11:30am On Feb 15, 2016
repogirl:
Lol, its funny sha.

He wants to write but doesn't want to write...the more I think about it, the funnier it gets.

Some people believe everyone has a story in them but for me, I believe if you want to be a writer but you have never been able to pen down even the most silliest story, then you really shouldn't bother, its just not there.

Growing up I really wished I could be a song writer but I couldn't write any meaningful song neither could I string the shortest sentence together in harmony, and trust me, I tried and tried. If its not there, its just not there.

Also to be a writer, you should first be an avid reader. How can you write when you don't know how its done? If you read novels, you would have an idea on the basics of how a story is strewn together.

You really don't need anyone to teach you anything much about writing. The mind of a writer is laden with characters, plots and stories that are just waiting to be put down.

I'm not saying writing is always smooth but if you wish to write, you will put down something even if it takes you years to finish because the story will not let you be, it will keep bugging you and before you know it, you will have no choice but to write about it.

If you want to write, don't think too much. Just write.
funnily,just lil differences between writing songs and stories...you tried but I don't think you steered towards the right direction.. read materials on the basics online first if there is no one to put you through.
Re: See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) by repogirl(f): 12:33pm On Feb 15, 2016
apholaryn:
funnily,just lil differences between writing songs and stories...you tried but I don't think you steered towards the right direction.. read materials on the basics online first if there is no one to put you through.
you can read from now till whenever, if you can't write it, you can not.

I beg to differ with you on little difference between writing prose and music. It's like saying little difference between writing poems and prose. Some poets can also do prose, but not all poets do prose and vise versa.

Again, if you don't have it, you don't. If you did, it would find its way out.
Re: See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) by Divepen1(m): 7:21am On Feb 16, 2016
An0nimus:
Hello Divepen1, good job with what you're doing.

Do permit me to give you an unsolicited advice: next time someone chats you up on writing but types in textspeak tell them to first write every word in full. They should endeavor to always type words in full when chatting, on Facebook, on NL, even when sending an sms.

It's a good way to start.

It feels like getting stabbed by a pen anytime I see someone who wants to be a writer typing in textspeak.

Thanks Boss. I think that's a very good one.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Heart (let Me Be) By Kayode Joshua / Kelvin's Dilemma(a Short Story) / Killing A Sidechick By A Henry complete

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.