Stats: 3,157,907 members, 7,835,022 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors (44732 Views)

FG Suspends FUTA, FUNAAB Vice Chancellors Over N957m Fraud / Throwback Photo Of OAU Vice Chancellors / FG Sacks 12 Auchi Poly Randy Lecturers After Punch Report (2) (3) (4)

Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by Rosemary216(f): 11:13pm On Feb 13, 2016
Federal University, Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi State has Prof. Auwal Yadudu of the Faculty of Law, Bayero University, Kano as its new VC;

this same man was the legal adviser to sanni abacha

Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by DeeMos(m): 11:16pm On Feb 13, 2016
The tenure of the vice-chancellors of nine of these universities expires on Feb. 15.

β€œIt will be unfair to say that they were sacked; they have exhausted their tenure; when your tenure is not renewed; it does not mean you are sacked.

β€œI do not know the reasons why the vice-chancellors of the other three universities were affected,’’ Faborode said. (NAN)
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by InvertedHammer: 11:17pm On Feb 13, 2016
peacengine:

Bro, true. Tho I didn't vote for anyone, but I wish I had voted for GEJ.
/
Voting for GEJ shouldn't have been an option.

The biggest mistake that I pointed out during the campaign was the choice of Buhari - old, inarticulate and unassuming to lead Nigeria in this 21st century. In 1985, Buhari was a figurative Head of State (to placate the North over the sack of Shehu Shagari) because Tunde Idiagbon was the one in charge.

Buhari's ascent to power was on the integrity of Idiagbon amplified by the carelessness and idiocy of GEJ. PMB and GEJ are two individuals who have no business being in Aso Rock if Nigerians aim for a vibrant nation. Like the indigenous people of Imo State, Nigerians seem to thrive on choosing one wrong leader after another.
/

Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by vivavik(f): 11:19pm On Feb 13, 2016
Meritocracy:
Its an appointment in Federal school just like directors in parastatals, so far F.G pay them as civil servant they can sack them. Meanwhile they only seize to be V.C and can go back to class as a civil servant if there retirement never reach.
ok. I thought the schl governing body appoints the vc? I think it has its own constitution guiding it in the school environ. I might be wrong tho

Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by ngoziama: 11:23pm On Feb 13, 2016
samobo:

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/198375-%e2%80%8enigerian-govt-sacks-13-university-vice-chancellors.html

Buhari, mmmmhhh if nigerians make you a prayer point because of the way things are going, believe me it will definitely hunt you down.God loves nigerians despite all the bad names called us.
Adamu adamu a journalist and politician who should have been a minister of state for education is the main minister while a professor is the junior minister. If I were that professor, I would have rejected the humiliation long before the aannouncement.

Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by Jacko1(m): 11:23pm On Feb 13, 2016
Is it every single achievement of the past administration dat irrritates this buhari.... How come som1 not see all dis is personal

Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by Vision4God: 11:50pm On Feb 13, 2016
Ds is like running military regime o.

Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by habsydiamond(m): 12:18am On Feb 14, 2016
Those wey dey vex. If ur papa dey among the sacked VCs raise up ur hand. No comment If so, I rest my case.
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by samuelchimmy(m): 12:18am On Feb 14, 2016
ki02020:
If that will bring a better change in those institutions then so be
illegal change indeed,more like jungle justice.

Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by peacengine(m): 12:50am On Feb 14, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/
Voting for GEJ shouldn't have been an option.

The biggest mistake that I pointed out during the campaign was the choice of Buhari - old, inarticulate and unassuming to lead Nigeria in this 21st century. In 1985, Buhari was a figurative Head of State (to placate the North over the sack of Shehu Shagari) because Tunde Idiagbon was the one in charge.

Buhari's ascent to power was on the integrity of Idiagbon amplified by the carelessness and idiocy of GEJ. PMB and GEJ are two individuals who have no business being in Aso Rock if Nigerians aim for a vibrant nation. Like the indigenous people of Imo State, Nigerians seem to thrive on choosing one wrong leader after another.
/

Guy GEJ is far better than Buhari and even OBJ, he may not be an option for you, but right now I am regretting why I stayed at home. The man tried, I will vote for him if he contests again

Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by nwakibie3(m): 12:52am On Feb 14, 2016
vivavik:
ok. I thought the schl governing body appoints the vc? I think it has its own constitution guiding it in the school environ. I might be wrong tho
U are not wrong;VCs are never appointed by the presidency rather by the sch governing board atimes thru election

Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by nwakibie3(m): 12:55am On Feb 14, 2016
habsydiamond:
why curse someone who does not know may be u exit. How will he rule nigeria well when u don't want him to know peace.
Why didn't u ask this question 3yrs ago?
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by Sochiblessed(m): 1:12am On Feb 14, 2016
BenBruce4Presdt:
By the time Buhari is through with Nigeria, $1 will be equal to =N=1000.00...
My broda u r perfectly correct. Just observing
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by EreluY(f): 2:33am On Feb 14, 2016
[b][size=13pt]When will this zoo, called Nigeria, move forward? In advanced countries, including Britain which laid the foundation for Nigeria educational system (including higher education), governments neither appoint nor ratify the appointment of University VCs or Presidents (as they are called in North America). This is a purely administrative and academic leadership position which is globally advertised (so as to attract the best candidates) and intensely competed for so the very best can be appointed on the basis of meritocracy, not politically selected in consonance with a candidate's jingoistic and tribalistic leanings.

A few years ago, I read here on NL that the FGN appointed a new VC for one federal university - UNIBEN, to be precise. Out of curiosity, I searched his name (O.G Oshodin) in academic databases, the last paper published in reputable journals housed by the likes of Elsevier, Sage, Taylor & Francis, Oxford Journals, Cambridge journals, etc. was in 1999. In UK, US, Canadian universities (where the mantra of publish or perish is in vogue), the guy would have been given a sack rather than being appointed a university VC. Today, most of the so-called Nigerian academics publish in predatory journals (https://scholarlyoa.com/publishers/), any wonder Nigerian universities have become such a rot?[/size]
[/b]

Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by Nobody: 3:33am On Feb 14, 2016
EreluY:
[b][size=13pt]When will this zoo, called Nigeria, move forward? In advanced countries, including Britain which laid the foundation for Nigeria educational system (including higher education), governments neither appoint nor ratify the appointment of University VCs or Presidents (as they are called in North America). This is a purely administrative and academic leadership position which is globally advertised (so as to attract the best candidates) and intensely competed for so the very best can be appointed on the basis of meritocracy, not politically selected in consonance with a candidate's jingoistic and tribalistic leanings.

A few years ago, I read here on NL that the FGN appointed a new VC for one federal university - UNIBEN, to be precise. Out of curiosity, I searched his name (O.G Oshodin) in academic databases, the last paper published in reputable journals housed by the likes of Elsevier, Sage, Taylor & Francis, Oxford Journals, Cambridge journals, etc. was in 1999. In UK, US, Canadian universities (where the mantra of publish or perish is in vogue), the guy would have been given a sack rather than being appointed a university VC. Today, most of the so-called Nigerian academics publish in predatory journals (https://scholarlyoa.com/publishers/), any wonder Nigerian universities have become such a rot?[/size]
[/b]

He is probably in that position because he has one Godfather and the fact that he is an indigene. This country is a joke

Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by okusebi(m): 3:57am On Feb 14, 2016
FlyboyZee:

He/she is right. The 5-year tenure of all of the VCs of the 12 Universities would expire on 16th February, 2016. Most of them had already rounded up their activities and are prepared to hand over. So there is absolutely no need to sensationalize the news.

This is absolutely over doing it. Yes, we know PMB is a sack-sack President. But, on this one, he's absolutely innocent...
if buhari can brain wash you without even seeing you, u will be worse than a suicide bomber..... even though their tenure is almost finished, is that the way to appoint new vice chancellors,? therbye employing his friends.... what kink of change is this, buhari d dictator..

Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by salisufaskari: 4:56am On Feb 14, 2016
vivavik:
Haba na. Sack them why? Does the federal govt have such right? Were they the ones who appointed the VCs'?

as the did b4, they r doing it now, ayatse is one of d examples
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by missjane: 5:06am On Feb 14, 2016
Please the new VC for NOUN should look into this fraud NOUN calls results.. publish scores in different centers. I'm sure they sell people's scores behind them. That's why they bann you from writing your name on your script. You finish writing exam and with good CA, you will find E or C as exam grade. No accompanying score if you complain they say you should pay 10k for remarking which won't even be processed till you graduate from the school.. its very discouraging..
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by RaptorX: 5:46am On Feb 14, 2016
I just pity the dumb a.sses that are still defending this man and his obvious Northern agenda. By the time he finishes with his northernisation agenda it will be too late to reverse it. These people are planning a long term power grab, why he is slotting ab.okis in every available slot. And don't tell me he his fighting corruption cause that's bs, he his recovering money to spend not fighting corruption.

Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by Felaak47(m): 6:15am On Feb 14, 2016
vivavik:
Haba na. Sack them why? Does the federal govt have such right? Were they the ones who appointed the VCs'?
yes of course that is federal university for u.
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by emmasege: 6:20am On Feb 14, 2016
@OP, the tenures of those VCs ended this February having completed their 5-year term. Where I faulted these appointments is for lack of federal character principle. GEJ ensured that VCs for all the new universities were not drawn from the same state/geographical location as the school in order to avoid lopsided appointments. With the new development, it may be difficult for a Chinyere or an Oluwaseun to get appointed by a federal university in Zamfara or Katsina, the same way it could be difficult for a Sani or Suleiman in Oye Ekiti or Otuoke. This was why GEJ promoted inter-state/geographical zone appointment for them in their days and it achieved its desired result.
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by FlyboyZee: 6:30am On Feb 14, 2016
tinkinjow:

U mean innocent of appointment of 4 profs frm Kano? lipsrsealed
No. I meant sacking of the VCs. The way they put the news is making it look like as if they were sacked. That is a wrong, bad and devilish way of reporting something that never happened. In Nigeria, VCs get one tenure of 5 years and after that you leave the office, no matter what is going on. So it is not a case of sack but a case of end of service or do I say completion of tenure...

About the 4 Profs from one University, please let me ask you? Are they all indigenes of Kano State? Former Minister of Education Prof. Ruqa'at Rufai, hails from Jigawa State and Lectures in BUK, Kano. So, there is no gainsaying that he appointed them from one school. The question that should beggar for answer is: Are they all from the same State?
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by FlyboyZee: 6:39am On Feb 14, 2016
tete7000:

Breaching a statutory provision regarding appointment of VCs will bring change? You really must be deluded. Anyway I don't expect ASUU to allow this impunity to stand. There is procedure as to how VCs should be appointed. We are no longer living in military era. I see ASUU strike loading.
There is no ASUU Strike loading anywhere. The only thing that is loading is your ignorance/Lack of Knowledge thereof. How can they say PMB sack VCs who has exhausted their constitutional 5 year tenure?

As per appointing VCs, it is the EXCLUSIVE PREROGATIVE OF MR. PRESIDENT. If in doubt, please grab a copy of the Nigerian Universities Act now...
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by FlyboyZee: 6:50am On Feb 14, 2016
vivavik:
As per appointing VCs, it is the EXCLUSIVE PREROGATIVE OF MR. PRESIDENT. If in doubt, please grab a copy of the Nigerian Universities Act now...

The other Principal Officers, that is - the DVC, Registrar, Librarian and Bursar are appointed by the Governing Councils of the Universities...

While, other appointments such as Deans/Directors and Heads of Departments and Units are made by the VC...
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by lawlahbammy(f): 6:58am On Feb 14, 2016
ambrosini593:

Not all were sacked. Some of them tenured expired like federal University otuoke and oye ekiti. I don't know of others
The vc of ndufu-alike too. Prof. Obe's tenure has expired, infact he has handed over to an acting vc before now.
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by tete7000(m): 7:18am On Feb 14, 2016
FlyboyZee:

There is no ASUU Strike loading anywhere. The only thing that is loading is your ignorance/Lack of Knowledge thereof. How can they say PMB sack VCs who has exhausted their constitutional 5 year tenure?

Oga you gaffed. The President is meant to appoint VCs in consultation with the governing councils of the universities. He doesn't have the kind of exclusivity you arrogate to him. There is reason for that. You don't expect a President in Abuja to know who will be appropriately fit for a university he barely knows. He needs those who work closely with the school to present him with appropriate names. I guess the universities in question are the newly created ones so things might not be as critical as I earlier thought. We will stay wait though and see the reaction of the union to the fact that op said the governing councils of these school are dissolved as at the time the appointment were made. However if Buhari wants to test his defacto power, let him just flagrantly appoint a VC for old generation school like UI and we will know if he has the kind of exclusive power you arrogate to him.
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by balladin: 7:31am On Feb 14, 2016
[quote author=free2blast post=42899618]Why are they crying Didn't the Ineffectual Buffoon did worse by appointing friends and cronies prior to his exit from office? Abeg make them park well, to serve is not by force.[/quote
Zombie please check your English first.
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by nyabinghi(m): 7:40am On Feb 14, 2016
fhranciz:
that moment when u leave a cattle rarer to become president
buhari is better than you. It is called cattle rearer.
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by free2blast(m): 7:50am On Feb 14, 2016
[quote author=balladin post=42906300][/quote] Flat headed Ekpa, it seems you lack comprehension.
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by Tahovic: 8:11am On Feb 14, 2016
Na them sabi....
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by Nellybii: 8:17am On Feb 14, 2016
candidbabe:
I will never know peace in Jesus name amen.

Proudly 5%

Yeah that is right. All miscreants, looters, IPOD, and all other enemies of Nigerian progress will never know peace. In sha Allah.
Re: FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors by lexydo007(m): 8:24am On Feb 14, 2016
Where is omole of oau
samobo:

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/198375-%e2%80%8enigerian-govt-sacks-13-university-vice-chancellors.html

Can You Solve This Primary 6 Quantitative Reasoning Question? / Covenant University Increases School Fees For International Students / Ikelebe Junior Secondary School Floors Others In Edo North To Win ASCI Inter Sch

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52