Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,453 members, 7,954,782 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:10 AM

Ngozi Okonjo-iweala's Interview - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala's Interview (1352 Views)

FULL TEXT: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala And The Missing Trillions Pt.1-Chukwuma C. Soludo / Okonjo-Iweala Interview With Christiane Amanpour On CNN / Video Of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Dancing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ngozi Okonjo-iweala's Interview by Chxta(m): 9:48pm On Nov 01, 2006
The links in this story are many, so to read them you'd have to sashay to Chxta's World,

First we have to pray for the souls of those who lost their lives in the plane crash back home a few days ago. V's dad was sitting on the runway in a plane that had just landed from Lagos when it happened. And he says that the weather was not what even a madman would fly in. Which lends a bit of credence to Borisade's claim that it was the pilot's fault. But this is no time to blame the dead. We have to pray for the man, and the others who have gone. May they rest in peace.

Now for Borisade,

Since he became Minster of Aviation, there have been at least five plane crashes in Nigeria, each one has claimed lives. If the man had some decency he should accept responsibility and resign. Instead, he keeps shifting the blame each time, this time blaming the dead pilot for ignoring weather warnings.

And this is not all about the decay in the aviation sector. Borisade is a terrible manager. This same man sat doing nothing as Minister of Education during a monster ASUU strike back in 2003 which affected a generation of Naija students including yours sincerely.

Below is the history of Nigeria's recent aircraft disasters:

*October 22, 2005: Lisa Village: a Boeing 737-200 aircraft belonging to Bellview Airlines crashed barely three minutes after take-off from Lagos en route for Abuja. All 117 passengers and crew members on board died in the crash.
*November 4, 2005: Lagos: On landing a KLM aircraft received damage when it ran into a pothole.
*November 28, 2005: Kaduna: an executive jet crashed, killing the two occupants.
*December 10, 2005: Port Harcourt: a Sosolilso Airlines plane crash left 107 dead, including a good cross section of our future.
*October 29, 2006: Abuja: ADC Airlines plane crashes killing all but seven on board, including three generations of the descendants of Uthman dan Fodio!

, and I have even neglected to mention the plane which ran into a herd of cattle in Port Harcourt!

Babalola Borisade must go. Either by sack or by resignation. But GO he must. NOW. Obj, over to you once again.

Ngozi's Interview.

The interview is still available on the BBC's website, but I don't know for how long, so I tried uploading it on YouTube, but it was rejected on account of its being longer than 10 minutes, so I guess that YouSendIt would do. The file is available in the Real Media format, which means you need RealPlayer to play it. It is available for the next seven days or the first one hundred downloads, which ever comes first, so I would encourage whoever downloads it to spread the love.

Now, some of the people whom I tend to visit more often (Fred, Jeremy and Nkem especially) are of the opinion that she put up a mediocre performance in that interview. I couldn't agree less. And I would give my reasons.

First, you have to realize that the tactic adopted by the HardTalk people has always been one of ambushing the 'victim', kind of like a hunter. And IMHO, Ngozi didn't fall for that.

Stephen Sackur's intro to the whole thing was kind of surreal, and he said that Nigeria is one of the most corrupt countries in the world (which we all know anyway). We are (potentially) very rich, what with $45 billion in oil earnings last year, so why are we still mired in poverty? Valid question. What I didn't find funny however, was his almost imperceptible implication that all Nigerians are corrupt, and that a clean up would be impossible without chaos.

No sir. And I love the way she responded to that.

"People tend to think of us as very rich. But we have to put it in context. There are 150 millions in Nigeria, we have 374 languages, and the country is the size of Western Europe. If we take that $45 billion and take it through all that it has to go through in today's economic terrain, it would still end up as slightly less than $1 per head (to the uninformed, especially on Nairaland who are reading this, it is impossible to take the entire production and share for everybody. Sorry, I couldn't resist that jibe)."

That is very true in my opinion, although she got her facts wrong about our geographical size and number of languages, (we are more like Britain, France and the low countries in terms of geographical size, and 250 languages last time I checked), but what she said about the money is true. I wonder why Sackur kept harping on the fact that there is still corruption three years after her economic team came on board. For crying out loud, we have seen cases of corruption even in God's own country, so we have to accept that corruption is a basic part of human nature. This systematic corruption in Naija has been going on since the first republic, so we can't just wish it away. And it will definitely take more than a decade for it to be reduced to an acceptable level. At this juncture I want to point out that the desire to achieve quick results without necessarily working for such results has been part of our problem as a people. To bring corruption down to an acceptable level in Naija requires a lot of patience, perseverance and toil. Not wishful thinking.

On to the next exchange, and Sackur brought up the fact that 75% of Nigerians (it is higher IMO) are living in poverty. He also brought up the fact that $300 billion has disappeared from the public treasury since 1960.

Her response: "True, inefficiency exists. Corruption exists. We admit. We recognize (a problem recognized and admitted is a problem half solved). But what I want to point out is what we have done. We have set the country on the right path. We are now on that path."

My opinion: A little too optimistic, based on the fact that touts like Lucky Igbinedion are still on the prowl, but following the EFCC indictments of September 27, I can assure you that she is dead right. You see, the major thing we have to acknowledge is the fact that Nigerians are now aware. From what people back home tell me, the economic reform and fight against corruption has become a real campaign issue for the first time in living memory, and that is where the victory lies. The fact that like it or not, Atiku Abubakar for example cannot conceivably run for president next year is a small victory in itself. That the PDP (or any other party for that matter) has not yet openly come out to endorse IBB's ambition is another small victory like it or not. What remains to be seen is whether we would have the will to follow up on these 'minor' gains. On a more personal note, I'd love to see the travel arrangements that have been made by Igbinedion, Kalu and Yerima for 28 May 2007,

The problem isn't overwhelming, and like NOI said, no economy on the planet can tackle all its problems in three short years talkless of when the problems are on a colossal scale like in the case of Naija. I have to agree with her on the result sheet. The economy has stabilized, and debt has been wiped off. We hope not to choke ourselves with debt ever again.

Sackur's next ambush was to bring up EFCC. He said: "Even the chairman of the EFCC has said that so many are corrupt." Like I said earlier, he discreetly implied that all Nigerians are corrupt. For me, that was mildly offensive. You see, earlier in this tirade, I brought up the fact that not one, not two, but at least three former governors of the US state of Illinois have been convicted of corruption. You would notice that those convictions were never while they were in office. My point is this: it is human nature to be corrupt. The onus is on society to provide the requisite checks and balances. That is where Nigeria failed. We failed to provide checks and balances. As a matter of fact, I daresay we encourage corruption in Nigeria. That is not to contradict what I earlier said about my annoyance with Sackur implying that we are all corrupt, I am taking it a step further to say (not imply) that all humans are corrupt.

NOI's response to that was excellent: "Not everyone is corrupt. There are some corrupt people, there are some who are not corrupt. But to turn the tables, the money which is siphoned away in corrupt deals where is it kept? It is definitely not banked in Nigeria. Why don't you people in the West keep records of corruption. Instead you encourage them to keep bringing the money to your economy."

His defense to that one made me laugh: "Didn't the UK do enough to recover the Abacha loot?"
Her answer: "One of our success stories. $500 million recovered from Switzerland, same from the UK, but not as much as could be recovered. It would be nice if you (the Western media) remember that this whole game is supply and demand. If your banks aren't willing to bank the loot (which your governments use to fund your projects), then the money would stop flowing."

My take: Responsio superba. Do I need to add more?

He didn't follow up that line of questioning again, but instead kept reverting to Uncle Nuhu. See, it would be foolish to say that suddenly Nigeria has no corruption again (this is the last time I would flog that horse in this article), we have to remember, most people in Naija are honest people looking for their daily bread. We mustn't let a minute minority (government officials, and gee-men) tarnish the image of the collective. And this one should serve as a call to all Nigerians. Stand up, don't let them do us in again next year.

He then brought up Fayose. Now, I believe Oria's post did all the justice that needed to be done on that issue. You see, the truth is this: Fayose's removal rings of some greed. Why was the speaker so bent on removing both governor and deputy? Why the haste in appointing a new Chief Justice when it is not the job of the state assembly? We have to ask those questions.

Like NOI, I don't accept that the anti-corruption drive would lead to instability as Mr. Sackur kept saying. There is no free lunch. Having more of one thing requires giving up something else. We have to be willing to give up something to create a better country. It is either one of the following: either we accept some upheavals and get this monster out of the way, or leave things the way they've been running since 1960, and watch Nigeria go with the wind.

She also refused to comment on the third term thing. Great! On Atiku, she refused to comment since it is an ongoing fight. But she said one thing: "Nigeria has turned a corner. The Obj-Turaki fiasco wouldn't stop the reforms. Anyone who is coming into office next would have no choice but to continue the reforms."

Now, the part of the whole thing that I liked, and which is what conferred her the extra respect she has gotten in my eyes, was her refusal to do what most (including me probably) would do. And that is to get bitter with Obasanjo over the humiliation he meted out to her by that removal. The truth (even though she took the path of the bigger man and refused to accept it) is that that action was humiliating. And she first proved her credentials by refusing to do what the likes of Borisade would do. She resigned.

Let's hear her: "No, I was moved to the foreign affairs ministry as is the president's prerogative. Yes, there's a lot to be accomplished, but this is not about the individual. I have moved on. I resigned. It was not a humiliation. I felt that there are other ways of going about things which didn't agree with what was on the ground, so I left. Yes, it would have been nice to know before the redeployment. But the important thing is that we have created something that can be carried on. Systems have been established that would go on."

On that last statement about systems being created that would go on, I can bear her witness. The internet can bear her witness. The Ministry of Finance can bear her witness. Months after she left office, no one has dared to remove the page that bears the Federation Account. We should monitor that page and make sure it remains. That is the legacy of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala to Nigeria. Transparency. That we must not let die. That we must not forget. Ngozi, I salute you.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala's Interview by mazaje(m): 3:23am On Nov 04, 2006
i what to know what economic reforms u guys are talking about here?. is it the economic reforms that is enriching OBJ and his boys or the economic reform that affects the masses? economically what has been reformed? i will like to know? i know u will say our debts have been paid ,  but we all know that most of it was written off. we only paid some not all if part of it was not written off we wouldnt have been able to pay for it. the consolidation in the banking system is still a mess. if Ngozi Iweala will be truthful to her self she will know that not much has been done, why will she be taken away from the ministry of finance to the ministry of foreign affiars when every body knew she was doing well? was it not because she was like a bone in the neck of OBJ and his boys?( is it not because of the corruption that was involved?) when she went to the ministy of foreign affiars and uncovered a fraud there that implicated some of OBJ's boys what did OBJ say?i am tired of hearing lies in the name of economic reforms, what kind of economic reforms is this that has left so many people with out employment? it refused to creat employment but rather made those that were employed loose their jobs. what kind of economic reform is that does not support people to be self reliant and productive? what kind of economic reform is this that the government finds it hard to pay its civil servants their salaries?what kind of economic reform is this that can not put the basic infastuructures on ground knowing that they are the fundamental part of every reasonable economy?(No roads(plane crashes all the time), no power, no water no security no nothing). what kind of economic reform is this that does not affect the educational sector? where the brians behind the economy lies?( public primary schools, secondary schools and universities are still as bad as ever). what kind of economic reform is this that has being trying to get the attention of foreign investors to come and invest in the country cos it has no believe that the people can develop them selves. where are the foreign investors?what kind of economic reform is this that has been going on for seven years and it still does not have a direct impact on the life of an average nigerian?what kind of static and reterogerresive reform is this?
Chxta:

The links in this story are many, so to read them you'd have to sashay to Chxta's World,
My opinion: A little too optimistic, based on the fact that touts like Lucky Igbinedion are still on the prowl, but following the EFCC indictments of September 27, I can assure you that she is dead right. You see, the major thing we have to acknowledge is the fact that Nigerians are now aware. From what people back home tell me, the economic reform and fight against corruption has become a real campaign issue for the first time in living memory, and that is where the victory lies. The fact that like it or not, Atiku Abubakar for example cannot conceivably run for president next year is a small victory in itself. That the PDP (or any other party for that matter) has not yet openly come out to endorse IBB's ambition is another small victory like it or not. What remains to be seen is whether we would have the will to follow up on these 'minor' gains. On a more personal note, I'd love to see the travel arrangements that have been made by Igbinedion, Kalu and Yerima for 28 May 2007,
If i may ask what are nigerian aware of? why arent nigerians aware of the king of amala politics in oyo state? why is the efcc not after him. he had a governor impeached through unconstitutional means for not allowing him do what ever he wants to with the state's account. does he still not retain his power as the political god father of ibadan? what ur people back home are telling u are all lies cos the economic reforms and fight gaints corruption is all lies. why is the efcc behind atiku and not chris uba? why is the efcc running behind dariye and not tony ahnenih that stole billions of niara when he was minister of works and housing? why was the case against bode geroge drop despite the fact that he was indicted by the efcc?why is it that its only when u are in OBJ's bad book that u are coruppt and the efcc comes running after u?the same OBJ that wants to end corruption is the same man that gave 50million naira to senators to make sure he goes for a 3rd term why didnt the efcc look into the case? they just left it die with out investigating it. if IBB and Atiku can not come out and contest why are people like professor Jerry Gana coming out to contest. he was a ministry during IBB, Abacha and OBJ and he was very loyal to all of them stole lots of money. we all know that OBJ is as bad as Atiku, so their is no need to condem atiku and leave  OBJ cos he is not a better person. Nigerians have not recorded any political or economic reform throghout the past seven years. its been one reterogerressoin after the other.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala's Interview by Nobody: 4:22am On Nov 04, 2006
Tell them Mazaje, tell them!, Please use paragraphs because it will make your solid posts easier to read. grin
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala's Interview by Sijien(m): 3:39pm On Nov 04, 2006
did she acheive? YES. una wey no like am go break head.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala's Interview by Bolarge(m): 12:39pm On Nov 06, 2006
Yes O!Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala is an achiever anyday.Trust Nigerians never to appreciate their own.
Mrs Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala you are a worthy representation of the Nigerian woman.A true model for our young girls.God bless You and yours.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala's Interview by mazaje(m): 1:44pm On Nov 06, 2006
u guys that are saying that Mrs Nogozi iweala has tried didnt really get what i was saying. i wasnt saying she didnt try i was saying that she cliamed that much has been done but not much has really been done by the administration not her as the head of the finance ministry(she has tried). all am saying is that OBJ and his adminstration have failed and they are still as corrupt as ever that was why she was droped off so as to make way for some one the can control the way they want because she was like a bone in the neck for them and could'nt be controlled any how.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala's Interview by Mariory(m): 2:33pm On Nov 06, 2006
mazaje:

u guys that are saying that Mrs Nogozi iweala has tried didnt really get what i was saying. i wasnt saying she didnt try i was saying that she cliamed that much has been done but not much has really been done by the administration not her as the head of the finance ministry(she has tried). all am saying is that OBJ and his adminstration have failed and they are still as corrupt as ever that was why she was droped off so as to make way for some one the can control the way they want because she was like a bone in the neck for them and could'nt be controlled any how.

You know this how? Do you work in the Finance Ministry? Or are you spouting rumours you've heard? I have a pretty good idea what the answers to those three questions will be.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala's Interview by Chxta(m): 3:52pm On Nov 06, 2006
http://www.fmf.gov.ng/detail.php?link=faac

She was right in that she left structures in place. Don't you people read?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala's Interview by mazaje(m): 7:14pm On Nov 06, 2006
Mariory:

You know this how? Do you work in the Finance Ministry? Or are you spouting rumours you've heard? I have a pretty good idea what the answers to those three questions will be.
i know very well what am saying i have had the oppurtunity of meeting with her personally to tell u how much i know her . i have visited her in her house once me and my dad. he is a strong man in the finance ministry just so that u know that i know what am saying.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala's Interview by Seun(m): 7:23pm On Nov 06, 2006
I believe you, but I think her achievements will still be credited to her regardless of what others may be doing.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala's Interview by mazaje(m): 7:29pm On Nov 06, 2006
Seun:

I believe you, but I think her achievements will still be credited to her regardless of what others may be doing.
sure i agree completely with that.

(1) (Reply)

Siemen Bribery Scandal: The Suspects / 'you Betrayed My Husband!' Mrs Jonathan Accuses Bayelsa Governor / Ekiti Boils Again!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.