Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,420 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? (1762 Views)

Was Jesus Christ A Freemanson. / Was Jesus Christ A Muslim? / Is Jesus Christ A Descendant Of King David? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by tpaine: 6:11pm On Jul 07, 2009
On the one hand, Jesus describes the Pharisees as righteous and appears to commend their strict observance of the LAW, as in Matthew 5: 20.

17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20[b]For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven[/b].

So according to the above, Jesus likes the Pharisees and the teachers of the Law. So what is he (Jesus) doing calling them HYPOCRITES, as in Matthew 15:

3 Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, 'Honor your father and mother' and 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.' 5But you say that if a man says to his father or mother, 'Whatever help you might otherwise have received from me is a gift devoted to God,' 6he is not to 'honor his father' with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: 8" 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. 9They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.'"

Does this Jesus character know what he is talking about? In fact, does he know anything at all ?
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by gen2genius(m): 7:05pm On Jul 07, 2009
You sound so confused and miserable. Instead of admitting your ignorance and begging to be enlightened, you're busy ranting like a possessed man.

The Pharisees practised hypocritical righteousness - righteousness that lays emphasis on outward piety and sanctimonious rituals without inward righteousness or sincerity. All their good works - saying long prayers, fasting, giving alms to the poor etc - were done for show, just to look better than others. But deep within them, they were full of evil, deception and corruption. Christ rebuked them thus:  

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.  Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness. Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity. (Matthew 23:25-28)

That's why he told his listeners that except their righteousness surpassed (exceeded) that of the Pharisees, they would not be allowed into the kingdom of heaven. In other words, if they were like the Pharisees - pretending to be holy in the public but having evil thoughts and doing immoral things in private - they would not be allowed into heaven. Therefore they must go beyond the Pharisees - they must have both INWARD and OUTWARD righteousness. Simple! wink
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by tpaine: 7:57pm On Jul 07, 2009
gen2genius:

You sound so confused and miserable. Instead of admitting your ignorance and begging to be enlightened, you're busy ranting like a possessed man.

The Pharisees practised hypocritical righteousness - righteousness that lays emphasis on outward piety and sanctimonious rituals without inward righteousness or sincerity. All their good works - saying long prayers, fasting, giving alms to the poor etc - were done for show, just to look better than others. But deep within them, they were full of evil, deception and corruption. He rebuked them thus:  

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.  Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness. Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity. (Matthew 23:25-28)

That's why he told his listeners that except their righteousness surpassed (exceeded) that of the Pharisees, they would not be allowed into the kingdom of heaven. In other words, if they were like the Pharisees - pretending to be holy in the public but having evil thoughts and doing immoral things in private - they would not be allowed into heaven. Therefore they must go beyond the Pharisees - they must have both INWARD and OUTWARD righteousness. Simple! wink

What the hell is hypocritical righteousness? Jesus, of all people should know. You are either good (righteous) or bad, notwithstanding your outwards appearance. If you are "outwardly good" but inwardly bad, you are fundamentally a bad person.

Now, look at the context in which Jesus made the following pronouncement - "For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

The context was the relevance of the law in their times. Jesus wants to emphasise just how relevant and important the law was for his listeners. If the law was still important, then abiding by the law in spirit and deed was also important. Consequently, in this context, in makes no sense to Jesus to use as benchmark people who only paid lip service to the law.

Consider the following analogy, in the context of possible entrance into an elite and august society, say Havard or become a Nobel winner. Now which of the following makes sense in this context?

1) To become a Nobel laureate (or be admitted into Havard) you have to be cleverer (or wiser, or more intelligent) than Einstein.

2) To become a Nobel laureate (or be admitted into Havard) you have to be cleverer (or wiser, or more intelligent) than Kent Hovind.

Which of the above statements makes more sense?
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by gen2genius(m): 8:16pm On Jul 07, 2009
I still don't know what your problem is

The religious people of Jesus' day were not righteous but claimed they were. One of them was even quoted as saying, "God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess." (Luke 18:11-12). With that, he believed himself to be righteous. Imagine!

The Pharisees had a brand of "righteousness" that was not according to what God required of them. Paul said of them: "For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. (Romans 10:2-3).

It was this same counterfeit "righteousness" that they were teaching the people. They portrayed themselves as models for every other person to follow. Christ therefore told the people: "If the type of righteousness you're depending on is the type the Pharisees possess and preach, you have no hope!" In other words, it must "surpass" (go beyond) mere "mouth" profession. It must be real!
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by horse703: 9:58pm On Jul 07, 2009
tpain's just got issues at home leave him alone he has no wisdom, knowledge and understanding. if he had wisdom i dont think he wuld have even posted that scripture which speaks clearly for itself or he doesnt understand english. go back to school undecided
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by Maykelly(f): 10:49am On Jul 08, 2009
What is the genealogy of mohammed and ooo pls list them out!
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by I: 12:40pm On Jul 08, 2009
May kelly:

Has this any relation with the thread? Don't be so dull.
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by Nezan(m): 3:30pm On Jul 08, 2009
May kelly:

I think its high time we know his geneaology, lol grin
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by Romeo4rea1: 3:46pm On Jul 08, 2009
Tpaine and Huxley are mere philodox's and one and the same persons. They simply exist to argue and cause contention based on their indefinitely spurious and myopic opinions.
This same issue has been well hashed out on another thread - "Why Did Jesus Call For The Killing Of Children?" he created on this forum.
His arguments when shown to have no basis in fact, truth or logic constantly shifts and morphs.
He is simply a waste of time.
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by muhsin(m): 3:49pm On Jul 08, 2009
Guys, simply talk about the case/charge before you. And stop derailing the OP. cheesy
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by Romeo4rea1: 4:19pm On Jul 08, 2009
Guys, simply talk about the case/charge before you. And stop derailing the OP
As i said, the "charge" has been well dealt with in other posts he created.
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by Maykelly(f): 2:10pm On Jul 09, 2009
May kelly:

Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by muhsin(m): 2:53pm On Jul 09, 2009
Romeo4rea1:

As i said, the "charge" has been well dealt with in other posts he created.

Direct me to those posts where Abuzola's questions were intelligently, reasonably and rationally answered. Be sincere. Thanks
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by Romeo4rea1: 3:23pm On Jul 10, 2009
Direct me to those posts where Abuzola's questions were intelligently, reasonably and rationally answered. Be sincere. Thanks
Where have you seen "Abuzolas" name in any of these posts on this particular topic? Unless Abuzola and Tpaine are the same person, you my be on the wrong post.
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by muhsin(m): 3:41pm On Jul 10, 2009
;d
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by PastorAIO: 4:39pm On Jul 10, 2009
gen2genius:

The Pharisees practised hypocritical righteousness - righteousness that lays emphasis on outward piety and sanctimonious rituals without inward righteousness or sincerity. All their good works - saying long prayers, fasting, giving alms to the poor etc - were done for show, just to look better than others. But deep within them, they were full of evil, deception and corruption. Christ rebuked them thus:  

This sounds like a perfect description of many christians I know of. Is hypocrisy now a Christian practice?

Was hypocrisy a pharisee practice? Was it required of pharisees to be hypocritical or was Jesus just pointing the finger at certain pharisees?
Re: Was Jesus Christ A Hypocrite? by PastorAIO: 4:40pm On Jul 10, 2009
May kelly:

tongue tongue tongue grin

This is a very serious matter o! Abeg make una help me answer the girl na.

(1) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo Faces N2 Billion Lawsuit For Assaulting Female Church Member / Why Are There No More Prophets? / Extremely Brilliant Bible Phrases Proving The Kjv Is A Work Of Art

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.