Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections (18782 Views)

INEC Letter Affirming Eyitayo Jegede As PDP Candidate In Ondo Election / Kogi: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Faleke, Wada's Appeal Dismissal / Supreme Court Upholds Delta, Oyo And Yobe Governorship Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by poiZon: 1:13pm On Feb 16, 2016
MrMcJay:
When the APC was in the opposition and they didn't have federal power to help them rig, the INEC introduced card readers to stem the tide of rigging and APC used it to its advantage. Now that APC now has federal power, they ensured the card reader is removed as an obstacle to rigging.

Unfortunately, the opposition seems happy with this development, but it just shows how naive, ignorant and short-sighted all are. Now, the APC would use ALL its resources to 'win' elections and the PDP has absolutely nothing to stop it. No INEC, no Military, No Police, not even ordinary Traffic Warden.

At this rate, the only elections PDP can win are Kuje Prison Elections.

like they won bayelsa abi?
ur opinion though!
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by demoore1(m): 1:32pm On Feb 16, 2016
lurex2rhyme:
mehn dis crap reason(s) fits wat we call judiciary rascality according to Joseph duada SAN. we all knw dis apc /pdp colabo is to defraud d poor Nigerians. my own is abeg wen dollar d come down to atleast #200 I 4 thank dis govt oo.

The same reason given to uphold Lagos election of APC is now vague because it upheld PDP election... biased people.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by rottennaija(m): 1:34pm On Feb 16, 2016
poiZon:

will airforce interview questions come from there?

yes, if you had interest, hypocrite
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Nobody: 1:35pm On Feb 16, 2016
Lakeshizu:
I disagree with your assertion that the card reader has 60% failure rate... Everybody knows the card reader was a successful tool in reducing manipulation of election procedure in the last election.

Please did you vote during the last elections? I was even gracious giving it a 40% pass mark. The performance of the card readers was woeful, If we were to depend solely on it majority of the voters would be disenfranchised and would lead to violence at the polling units
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by demoore1(m): 1:36pm On Feb 16, 2016
Koolking:
We have a long way to go as a country. Supreme court has set a bad antecedence with the reasons given for their judgement. Technology is way to go if we are to conduct free and fair election in this country, going by our avoidable tendencies to defraud. Countries are breaking bounds with technologies. Why can't we encourage same here. Oh! I see, it won't favour certain people with despicable character. They want their minority will to prevail over the will of the majority (masses).

I am hugely disappointed in the supreme court for their reasons for passing skewed judgement - only based on extant laws of the land, whatever happens to implied act which guides judgement is a deep concern to me.

It is high time we reviewed our laws to align with technologies. Technology is what drives a formidable nation.

Shame!

The same reason given to uphold Lagos election of APC is that card reader cannot replace voters register. you were happy with it because it was APC...You must be out of your senses.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by namdo(m): 2:15pm On Feb 16, 2016
revisit electoral act>>>law makers....otherwise 2019 would be rig to power all the way.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Koolking(m): 2:49pm On Feb 16, 2016
demoore1:

The same reason given to uphold Lagos election of APC is that card reader cannot replace voters register. you were happy with it because it was APC...You must be out of your senses.

Damn! I am not partisan, not devoted to any party. I am a supporter of good governance. You are just being clouded by emotion for your party dude. Take a pill and chill. Whether your party is right or not, you don't care. Pathetic!

All of these will change someday.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by excel101(m): 3:02pm On Feb 16, 2016
ChappyChase:
Na fear make them uphold that election! Just as fear make GEJ concede defeat to Buhari, Nothing more nothing less!!!
. Since APC has devised a means of flying without petching, so also PDP has decided to shoot without aiming
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by ChappyChase: 3:12pm On Feb 16, 2016
excel101:
. Since APC has devised a means of flying without petching, so also PDP has decided to shoot without aiming
So what's your point?
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by innuit: 3:41pm On Feb 16, 2016
emalek86:
The judicial system in Nigeria is wack, I don't see any reason why we should have a lower court nd higher court, both of them always giving different verdict, buhari if U want an institution to scrap I guess one of these should be on your top list.

Scrap the judiciary?! That is the most ignorant statement I have seen on nairaland yet.

You do realise that the judiciary is not an agency that can be disbanded by executive action. It is an arm of the government and created by the constitution. Your statement is tantamount to suggesting that the President should disband the National Assembly. Ridiculous!
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Kenobus: 4:28pm On Feb 16, 2016
Thanks to the SC, it saved Nigeria from danming embarrassment! I am happy because the Appeal court really messed up. Law is law, you can't bend it due to body language
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Akainzo(m): 5:25pm On Feb 16, 2016
GANJAFARMER:
The problem with folks like you is that you're myopic in your reasoning .
If you want the card reader badly as a basis to ensuring that elections are free and fair then add it to the constituion and stop blaming the Supreme court for doing their job as it is written in our book( constitution)

I guess the Courts should also start asking "Accused" to submit their Birth Certificate rather than International Passports since the Constitution says I am a citizen only based on Birth or Marriage but those not say International passport.

While at it, we should scrap BVN since it is not even mentioned anywhere in our constitution.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Adunbi70(m): 5:41pm On Feb 16, 2016
The template for the judicial decisions of the Honorable Justices of the Supreme Court on electoral matters are the statutes, acts and past judicial cases. The most important of these is the Electoral Law. In none of these sources was the Card Reader as an entity recognized, defined, nor assigned any function(s), especially among the provisions of the Electoral Law or its many amendments. The rationes of the Court was that the Tribunals and Appeal Courts attempted to build something from nothing by giving credence to what no law nor statue recognized, that is, the Card Reader. Guidelines and regulations cannot be elevated to the same status as clearly stated statues and laws. So say the Judges..
The Legislative arm of government should therefore correct its past oversight by amending the Electoral Law, filling in the necessary clauses that would accommodate the Card Readers and or other future technologies that may be deployed in subsequent elections.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Kessyy2k4(m): 6:02pm On Feb 16, 2016
lurex2rhyme:

oga mi ajor oo. I stand to be corrected if d facts r nt right plz tel me. bt I knw dat Joseph daudu SAN abi no be him represent saraki d sp at tribunal code of conduct? did u hear wen he walkout of a court session wen he was unduly over rule by d judge. u can tel me urz anyway
you are right, Daudu actually work out of the CCT SP trial, buh...that doesnt relate wit d recent supreme court judgement of dose affected state. i think, that was reasons you make that hilarious comment! abi u dont 4get nii?
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by lurex2rhyme(m): 6:13pm On Feb 16, 2016
Kessyy2k4:
you are right, Daudu actually work out of the CCT SP trial, buh...that doesnt relate wit d recent supreme court judgement of dose affected state. i think, that was reasons you make that hilarious comment! abi u dont 4get nii?

oga mi am nt sayin other wise d statement I made I only quoted wat he said at cct dat d reasons 4 supreme court judgement on aks could be term as judicial rascality. tank hope dat settles it.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by lurex2rhyme(m): 6:20pm On Feb 16, 2016
BrainnewsNg:

Thank you
eyen eka let chat on bbm or whatsapp. jxt read ur profile 7518323A
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Nobody: 6:27pm On Feb 16, 2016
Chai. These are PDP judges. Mary Peter Odili. Can see why election cases are going the way of PDP.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by menxer: 7:29pm On Feb 16, 2016
Why scrap a device that didn't perform 100% on its first outing instead of upgrading and improving upon its use?

The card reader that dangled the hope of changing a non performing government is thrown out with the bath water by the Supreme Court.

With the status quo returned, how do we intend to return PDP or any other party to Aso rock in the event of APC maladministration?
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by thundafire: 7:55pm On Feb 16, 2016
blackpriest0911:
The foolish supreme Court has introduced rigging in the elections...it's rather unfortunate

shut up goat

is dy card reader in the constitution or dy voters register,the Supreme court said dy cnt make judgement on just making noise without evidence did dy APC bring any witness 4rm their polling unit dy said ofcus NO nd dy court interpreted dy constitution,so APC won it could have been a different song so all of una stop dy noise no oyel state 4 u zombies nd ur party
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by menxer: 8:02pm On Feb 16, 2016
Words on marble.

Supreme Court:

"Justice Chima Nweze, who gave the reasons, said that the decision of the lower court was a mis-judgment based on only facts and not on the provisions of the laws."

Appeal court:

"Cases are won based on the facts or evidence presented and available. Thus, facts are the palm oil with which cases are eaten in law. Facts must be applied to law and not otherwise. Put simpliciter, the facts in election petition and cases generally make up the evidence of the witnesses and the documents presented. I shall therefore be relying both on the evidence of witnesses and documentary evidence interchangeably in the consideration of this appeal on LGA basis as equally adopted by the two parties here in this appeal." Per UWANI MUSA ABBA AJI, JCA, in CA/A/EPT/656/2015 at page 18.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Nobody: 8:13pm On Feb 16, 2016
If the card reader irrespective of its importance does not have a place in any extant law of the land in the court of law as opined by the Judge then IMHO i think it should be scrapped.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Kessyy2k4(m): 6:28am On Feb 17, 2016
lurex2rhyme:

oga mi am nt sayin other wise d statement I made I only quoted wat he said at cct dat d reasons 4 supreme court judgement on aks could be term as j [size=30]Judicial Raskality!! [/size] . tank hope dat settles it.
Don't get it twistedgrin if Joseph Daudu actually accused the Apex court judgment as 'judicial Rascality' as u alleged, then tell me, which camp could he 'Daudu' be siding presidency or saraki's camp? i believed u know dat J/Daudu as been advocate for saraki,Dasuki and some other corrupt PDP Chieftain, therefore, if that statement is coming from him, this is an indication that he plays double standard. However, that particular statement was made by one of the prominent SAN, but not by J/Daudu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ajimobi Orders Arrest, Prosecution Of Any Herdsmen Found With A Gun / INEC Presents certificates Of Return To The Winners Of The Zamfara Election / Nigerian Government Has Paid N325Million To Whistle Blowers - EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.