Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,785 members, 7,831,543 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections (18783 Views)

INEC Letter Affirming Eyitayo Jegede As PDP Candidate In Ondo Election / Kogi: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Faleke, Wada's Appeal Dismissal / Supreme Court Upholds Delta, Oyo And Yobe Governorship Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by ezeomaigbo(m): 10:31am On Feb 16, 2016
We are slaves to law.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Ajusshi: 10:33am On Feb 16, 2016
kiss
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by sweetgala(m): 10:33am On Feb 16, 2016
chukwudi44:

The failure rate of the card readers was just too high.Dont forgrt these Judges were also in Nigeria and might have voted during the elections.There is no way we can rely solely on the card readers with the current rate of failure.Disenfranchisement of over 60% of eligible voters is same as rigging.

The statement of the supreme Court did not address the failure of the card reader, it completely dismissed it as a tool for accreditation.

What that means is in the future, a party to a legal suite can argue that the use of the card reader in an election contravened the Constitution and therefore the election is null and void,where the card reader has 100% efficiency and thereby negating reliance in the voters register.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 16, 2016
Chai
No crude oil for the AP Charlatans grin grin

1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by datola: 10:33am On Feb 16, 2016
Hmmm...
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by GANJAFARMER: 10:33am On Feb 16, 2016
This is why they call it 'Supreme Court' where justice has no eyes neither a tongue but follows the law and the constituion and not the appellate court where lawyers utter their mumbo jumbo to deceive the gullible and ill educated minds of the society .

The judgement is simple : Biometric accreditation is not constitutional and can't be used as a platform to cancel an election that was conducted under INEC's guidelines, declared free and fair by INEC with some irregularities as witnessed all over the country which was the backbone of APC's call for the cancellation of the entire election for a fresh rerun.
What the APC wanted was a shift of the goal post now that all odds are against them. Well, they are the majority in both houses and should call for a constitutional provision to that effect and not ranting online like bunch of rabid dogs.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:34am On Feb 16, 2016
Lakeshizu:
The judgement is not logical, a party can equally go to court for using card reader as not a provision of the law.
It makes me wonder if those judges did logic, a important course before the award of LLB, in the university.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by sweetgala(m): 10:35am On Feb 16, 2016
Lakeshizu:
The judgement is not logical, a party can equally go to court for using card reader as not a provision of the law.
k

I agree with you, sorry , I had to edit the post due to typos , my phone put "unifying" rather than "nullifying"
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Lakeshizu(m): 10:35am On Feb 16, 2016
chukwudi44:

The failure rate of the card readers was just too high.Dont forgrt these Judges were also in Nigeria and might have voted during the elections.There is no way we can rely solely on the card readers with the current rate of failure.Disenfranchisement of over 60% of eligible voters is same as rigging.
I disagree with your assertion that the card reader has 60% failure rate... Everybody knows the card reader was a successful tool in reducing manipulation of election procedure in the last election.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by sweetgala(m): 10:35am On Feb 16, 2016
Lakeshizu:

I agree with you, sorry , I had to edit the post due to typos , my phone put "unifying" rather than "nullifying"
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:36am On Feb 16, 2016
imhotep:
Chai
No crude oil for the AP Charlatans grin grin
I'm sure you don't know how the system works. The FG owns all resources in the country including crude oil.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by GANJAFARMER: 10:36am On Feb 16, 2016
sweetgala:

The statement of the supreme Court did not address the failure of the card reader, it completely dismissed it as a tool for accreditation.

What that means is in the future, a party to a legal suite can argue that the use of the card reader in an election contravened the Constitution and therefore the election is null and void,where the card reader has 100% efficiency and thereby negating reliance in the voters register.
You can twist your mind but certainly you can't twist the mind of everyone - The Supreme court judgement was based on constitutional provision and not some card reader that has no constitutional backing .
#Shekina!

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by PeinDanzo(m): 10:37am On Feb 16, 2016
sweetgala:

Bro,u mebtioning card reader, cad ridder ..bro,u ret..ard? ..I use ps2, xbox, my cad reder 100% ,bro constituon cad ridder 100 if dey play ma ps ..bro,u ret..ard? Come at me!
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Nobody: 10:39am On Feb 16, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

I'm sure you don't know how the system works. The FG owns all resources in the country including crude oil.
^^ These useless theories will further deepen APC frustration.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Julie95(f): 10:39am On Feb 16, 2016
lurex2rhyme:
mehn dis crap reason(s) fits wat we call judiciary rascality according to Joseph duada SAN. we all knw dis apc /pdp colabo is to defraud d poor Nigerians. my own is abeg wen dollar d come down to atleast #200 I 4 thank dis govt oo.
Buhari's body odour will make it $1=#1 soon grin
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by sweetgala(m): 10:39am On Feb 16, 2016
Lakeshizu:

Agreed, I made that same argument in my following post. This judgment has killed the card reader, talk about a quick death blow to progress.

The NASS , executive and state houses would need to have the Constitution updated to qualify the card reader if APC want to save us from return to election manipulation, or APC may just run with the flow and abuse the shit out of it.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Nobody: 10:40am On Feb 16, 2016
Julie95:

Not his body language and selfies?

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by GANJAFARMER: 10:43am On Feb 16, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

It makes me wonder if those judges did logic, a important course before the award of LLB, in the university.
Keep on wailing .

They do not base their judgement on some wacko logic but on the constitution and the constitution has the final say and not even them - The constitution is like a bible that must be adhered to religiously and that was what they did ,logic or no logic.

If the law says that a man must be amputated for a particular crime and the man already had a hand that was amputated the Supreme Court will still pass the judgement that the same man should be amputated even if he has no arms left to amputate. This is the law for you but some wacko lawyers with your mindset will argue that since he's left with no hand to amputate that his legs or diick should go for it.
The law says 'a' and it must be 'a' no logic here but the law.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Nbote(m): 10:43am On Feb 16, 2016
blackpanda:
This supreme court ruling is quite interesting. Am just waiting for 201c elections cos now that apc is in power and supreme court has destroyed card readers, its gonna be mass rigging galore!

D supreme court didn't destroy card readers. . Dis is simply a wake up call for d House of Assembly to do d needful and amend the Electoral Act. When calls were made for d ammendment way before now, some people shut it down claiming it was a ploy to rig d elections. Now d ruling party is beta placed to make those necessary changes for a free and fairer election in d future. It's also an opportunity for INEC to make some innovative changes in correcting the card reader issues experienced during the last elections.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 10:43am On Feb 16, 2016
MrMcJay:
When the APC was in the opposition and they didn't have federal power to help them rig, the INEC introduced card readers to stem the tide of rigging and APC used it to its advantage. Now that APC now has federal power, they ensured the card reader is removed as an obstacle to rigging.

Unfortunately, the opposition seems happy with this development, but it just shows how naive, ignorant and short-sighted all are. Now, the APC would use ALL its resources to 'win' elections and the PDP has absolutely nothing to stop it. No INEC, no Military, No Police, not even ordinary Traffic Warden.

At this rate, the only elections PDP can win are Kuje Prison Elections.
After they tried to rigg Bayelsa what happened?

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Koolking(m): 10:46am On Feb 16, 2016
We have a long way to go as a country. Supreme court has set a bad antecedence with the reasons given for their judgement. Technology is way to go if we are to conduct free and fair election in this country, going by our avoidable tendencies to defraud. Countries are breaking bounds with technologies. Why can't we encourage same here. Oh! I see, it won't favour certain people with despicable character. They want their minority will to prevail over the will of the majority (masses).

I am hugely disappointed in the supreme court for their reasons for passing skewed judgement - only based on extant laws of the land, whatever happens to implied act which guides judgement is a deep concern to me.

It is high time we reviewed our laws to align with technologies. Technology is what drives a formidable nation.

Shame!

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by onatisi(m): 10:47am On Feb 16, 2016
neolboy:
All they do best is shout without having evidence
That is exactly what the supreme court is saying. The APc alleged that there was violence but yet failed to bring or produce even one witness to testify.
Most likely if gej had contested the results maybe he could have won or even secured a rerun but thank god he didn't contest it.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by GANJAFARMER: 10:49am On Feb 16, 2016
Koolking:
We have a long way to go as a country. Supreme has set a bad antecedence with the reasons given for their judgement. Technology is way to go if we are to conduct free and fair election in this country, going by our avoidable tendencies to defraud. Countries are breaking bounds with technologies. Why can't we encourage same here. Oh! I see, it won't favour certain people with despicable character. They want their minority will to prevail over the will of the majority (masses).

I am hugely disappointed in the supreme court for their reasons for passing skewed judgement - only based on extant laws of the land, whatever happens to implied act which guides judgement is a deep concern to me.

It is high time we reviewed our laws to align with technologies. Technology is what drive a formidable nation.

Shame!
The problem with folks like you is that you're myopic in your reasoning .
If you want the card reader badly as a basis to ensuring that elections are free and fair then add it to the constituion and stop blaming the Supreme court for doing their job as it is written in our book( constitution)

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by onatisi(m): 10:51am On Feb 16, 2016
GANJAFARMER:
You can twist your mind but certainly you can't twist the mind of everyone - The Supreme court judgement was based on constitutional provision and not some card reader that has no constitutional backing .
#Shekina!
This is another point ppl are missing. The card reader does not superced the voters register,the voters register seems to the constitutional standard and apc wasn't able to prove that the votes casted outnumbers the voters register.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by GANJAFARMER: 10:52am On Feb 16, 2016
onatisi:

This is another point ppl are missing. The card reader does not superced the voters register,the voters register seems to the constitutional standard and apc wasn't able to prove that the votes casted outnumbers the voters register.
They won't listen to the voice of reason but what they want is paramount and not what the law dictates. This is the most ridiculous set of people I've ever listened to in my life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by lurex2rhyme(m): 10:53am On Feb 16, 2016
Julie95:

lolź abi wic kind odour abi na d offensive one.? dat is all I nid oo I cant buy any foreign text even data set n imagery 4 my work. cuz of dollar ish.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by playtheblues(f): 10:55am On Feb 16, 2016
Am so in love with this reason.

According to Oshimole : APC go and....!
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by gfullmoon(m): 10:57am On Feb 16, 2016
Make I hear Card Reader again for this re-run. According to our Supreme Court accept or believe in Card Reader at your own peril. This Card Reader was a wonderful innovation and a milestone in our electoral Management but Supreme Court judgements had almost rubbished it. INEC should learnt their lessons now and make the National Assembly pass it as a Law.
Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by GANJAFARMER: 10:57am On Feb 16, 2016
Most pro APC nairalnaders are deluded .

Let them continue wailing more than their fellow country men they labelled wailers .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by Nobody: 10:59am On Feb 16, 2016
GANJAFARMER:
Most pro APC nairalnaders are deluded .

^^ APC: Traumatized, deluded and mentally incapacitated, all at the same time grin grin

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections by GANJAFARMER: 10:59am On Feb 16, 2016
gfullmoon:
Make I hear Card Reader again for this re-run. According to our Supreme Court accept or believe in Card Reader at your own peril. This Card Reader was a wonderful innovation and a milestone in our electoral Management but Supreme Court judgements had almost rubbished it. INEC should learnt their lessons now and make the National Assembly pass it as a Law.
The highlighted should be what they should be doing now and not ranting online and FYI the Supreme Court didn't rubbish anything at all - They only made reference to the constitution unless you're now saying that the constituion is seriously flawed in that aspect.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Government Has Paid N325Million To Whistle Blowers - EFCC / INEC Presents certificates Of Return To The Winners Of The Zamfara Election / Buhari’s Popularity On Social Media Was Bought- Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.