Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,225 members, 7,842,601 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Have you traveled solo before? Share your experience. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Have you traveled solo before? Share your experience. (470 Views)

How People Traveled To Onitsha Before The Construction Of The Niger Bridge / Nigerian Pilot, Ademilola, Makes History As First African To Fly The World Solo / Have You Had A Free Ride Before? Share Your Experience! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Have you traveled solo before? Share your experience. by Nobody: 8:20am On Feb 16, 2016
There is nothing like traveling with the perfect companion, but traveling solo has many personal benefits. People are often reluctant to travel alone especially to places they have never been to due to safety concerns, boredom, loneliness and many more. Well, I have experienced these fears, nevertheless, traveling solo has become my preferred mode of travel and I will tell you why.
Traveling alone gives me the opportunity to indulge myself fully. I have the freedom to do what I really want to do, when I want to, make my own mistakes and figure nearly everything on my own. This creates independence and increases my problem solving ability.
However, to fully enjoy your trip, you should note the following:
1. Plan
I am a planner…. a chronic one, an unrepentant one. A typical example is me packing my bags for my trip 2 months to my departure date.
When you plan, you give yourself enough time to focus on your travel needs e.g visa requirements, when to travel, discount travel tickets, financial needs etc.

2. Know Your Destination:
Before you embark on your trip, it is important to obtain information about the place you plan to visit. For example, you do not want to arrive Dubai in the summer wearing a thick fur coat, heat will kill you.

Google, find out about the top touristy things to do in your destination, transportation, accommodation, check reviews online and ask questions from people who have visited the same destination.

3. Have A Budget
Unless you plan to indulge in some luxury shopping, your ticket and accommodation will form your major expenditures so the trick is to book your travel tickets early and choose an accommodation that meets your taste. If you are traveling alone on a budget, you have no business staying in a luxury apartment since you would be spending most of your time sightseeing. You will be bored. Spend time on the internet and find out about tourist friendly accommodations near the places you would love to see. When you arrive at your destination, hit the ground running. Spend the first few days doing the touristy activities you plan to do. I always recommend the open bus tour or in most cases the guided walking tours for every first time visit.
As a solo traveler you cannot afford to be stranded, therefore, it is necessary to have sufficient funds for your trip. This is relative depending on your lifestyle.

4. Be Confident
Even when you are nervous, it is wise to look confident. Trust your instincts, observe the way people do things, never be in a haste, be polite and ask questions when in doubt.
Be ready to mingle, make new friends, hang out with people whose first language isn’t the same as yours. This is how you see the world.

Share your travel stories on our blog.

(1) (Reply)

SAA Named 'best Airline' Once Again / Commercial Driver 'disappears' As Vehicle Suffers Ghastly Accident In Anambra / How Can I Study Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.