Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,459 members, 7,819,670 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike (19682 Views)

Senate Orders Arrest Of CEOs Of Glo, Crown Flour Mills 28 Others / Senate Orders Osinbajo To Remove Magu, Suspends Appointment Confirmation / Senate Orders Jonathan's Probe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by codedguy1(m): 7:13pm On Feb 16, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
d senators are always our problem, before d increment, we have be telling them to scrap d useless 750 naira, now they stil want us to pay 750 for darkness, for them to force d coy to forcefully metered all house and retain or increase d old by 10percent

That fixed charge of N750monthly is the greatest wickedness any govt can bestow on its citizen, and am not talking about the amount even if it is 200naira its not right,why make people pay for what they did not benefit. The scams of our govt is just mind boggling. 50stamp just imposed like that.

Anyways I heard Fashola trying to justify the increament and I just shook my head at him. We shud pay for a service we have not received without assurances that we will get it, infact we should all contribute to the discos so that they will give us light that we will still pay for.

Its like I want to start a pay TV and ask the massess to pay so that I can get money to buy content that they will still pay/subscribe to watch.
Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by ugojamali(m): 7:27pm On Feb 16, 2016
I have seen condemnation of this Senate action by a few. And from what I understand, they are the minority few that are privileged to have metered connections so their bills are cheap. Unfortunately for a large majority of Nigerians including me, what we get are estimated bills. I pay nearly 6000 naira monthly in Anambra state. The light is decent but not fantastic lately. It used to be but things have gotten quite bad. Regardless of supply, we get a minimum of 5k bill per flat. If I calculate what I will pay now with the new tariff, it will be close to 8K instead of 6K, or almost 6K instead of 5K depending on the estimate EEDC decides on for the month.

Nobody actually complains about the increment. Personally, if I was asked to pay 15K monthly for steady power supply (at least a guaranteed 20 hours daily) I would gladly do you. But I would frown at an increment, no metered connection and dwindling supply. Cos then I'll ask... Wtf am I paying for?

Please let the power companies borrow money, fix supply then if they like, they can increase it to 100 percent. Nigerians will pay if only they'll get value for their money.

1 Like

Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by tinsel: 8:10pm On Feb 16, 2016
Do they have such power?
Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by luvmijeje(f): 8:31pm On Feb 16, 2016
dammytosh:
Some one is desperate to please the masses to escape / evade justice.

The next story to be sold to the gullible masses is that Senate want to be independent, that is why they are witch hunting Saraki.

So we should continue to pay fixed charges without light ? Instead of us to allow them remove fix charges, pay for whatever we use at a reasonable rate and hold Fashola responsible if there is no light for 1hour .
How much do we fuel Generator now ?

That is how some M0r0ns were dancing Kukere when GEJ wanted to end Subsidy.

I think make person just continue dey work hard and say bye to being a middle class.

Would you rather prefer Nigerians to pay 40% increase in price for what they didn't use?

Fashola put the cart before horse. Before asking Nigerians to make sacrifice, he should have task the DISCOs companies to provide meters to all Nigerians.
Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by Nig4Greatness: 8:41pm On Feb 16, 2016
When will all these block head senators stop playing to the gallery?.albeit they need legislators from developed countries to come and tutor them on the roles of legislators.
What the government did was to issues an executive order that it's beyond what any legislative body can interfere.the best they can do is to take the govt to court cos it's only the judiciary that can stop any executive orders not the Senate.
So whatever order they might have made cant go beyond their chamber there.
Bunch of fools that are looking for approval from the people.
Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by Ambassadors: 8:45pm On Feb 16, 2016
codedguy1:
Nigeria is a wonderful place to be.

Now the senate has ordered that the electricity tarriff should not be increased, (his means they revert back to the former tariff inclusive of the N750 that is being paid regardless of whether you had light or not.

Either way the govt is bent on making the citizens suffer.

They increase the tariff or we continue to pay estimated bills + N750

It's like you have not bought prepaid unit recently they are still effecting the 40% increase plus the service charge of 750 inclusive. I know Fashola is corrupt that's why he is bent on going against the masses. I was thinking he was an elder statesman, but he is just a rogue minister. Time will catch up with him in no distant time.

1 Like

Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by codedguy1(m): 8:57pm On Feb 16, 2016
Ambassadors:

It's like you have not bought prepaid unit recently they are still effecting the 40% increase plus the service charge of 750 inclusive. I know Fashola is corrupt that's why he is bent on going against the masses. I was thinking he was an elder statesman, but he is just a rogue minister. Time will catch up with him in no distant time.

Am actually waiting to be metered. So I still pay on the old meter.

So are u saying the 40% increament has been implemented and they are still charging the N750?

When Fashola was justifying increament on TV I just shook my head in pity for him.
Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by lokonzo78: 9:01pm On Feb 16, 2016
They don't have the power. Their power is only legislation related. It's only executive power that can stop the increament. We are not fools.

1 Like

Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by megama: 9:06pm On Feb 16, 2016
[quote author=Bevista post=42975256]---
[/quote can somebody tell me Nigerian official Languge
Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by Ndolarr: 10:38pm On Feb 16, 2016
Senate is playing to the gallery! They have no power to direct a reversal of the tariff hike by the executive!! They are collaborators and peoples' enemies!!!
Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by smoothpapuzy(m): 10:47pm On Feb 16, 2016
maxzzo1:
that is good for us to check movement of Ghana must go atleast na d hike should be suspended...

Its a welcome development.
Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by joekool(m): 1:11am On Feb 17, 2016
If they can reverse it and also do away with the monthly fixed charges, then it is a welcome development that is to the betterment of we common people..... Let's watch and how it goes. GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by igbonla(m): 1:16am On Feb 17, 2016
Many Nigerians have extremely poor memory! What was the effect of a similar directive to the FRSC when the driver's license fee was increased??

Also, when does the legislative arm of government have the power to issue this kind of directive Bunch of ignoramus deceiving gullible Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by Nobody: 2:07am On Feb 17, 2016
Ttalk:
Good news, they should as well be sanctioned like MTN and made to pay the sum of N1Trillion as fine for poor service delivery

ABSOLUTELY
Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by Nobody: 2:08am On Feb 17, 2016
akinyeleaa:

Has he insulted the senate before or you are just an hater?

FIX IT
Re: Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike by Harrehmoon(m): 9:45am On Feb 17, 2016
Nice option

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osun Election: Tribunal Grants PDP's Application To Inspect Election Materials / What To Expect As Adams Oshiomhole Receives Rivers State Highest Honors Today / Maduekwe: Public Holiday In Abia Friday & Monday To Honour Late Politician

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.