Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,386 members, 7,819,394 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

Is ATF And Brake Oil Change Overdue? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is ATF And Brake Oil Change Overdue? (871 Views)

Ford's Smart Jacket For Cyclists Has Indicators And Brake Lights Just Like Cars / 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) / Brake Pads And Brake Lining Which Is More Effective? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is ATF And Brake Oil Change Overdue? by Mueeze(m): 4:38pm On Feb 16, 2016
Hi all,

I purchased my 2000 Model Corolla just over 2 years ago. Apart from the Coolant, Engine Oil and Oil Filter change, I have not changed any other fluid in the car. Most of the Yakubu's advice that i leave the fluids as long as the brake and transmission is not giving issues.

I personally don't feel comfortable with how long the fluids have been in the car mostly because i don't know how long it has been there before i bought it.

The question is should I change the ATF and Brake Oil? if Yes, where can I get quality OEM oils?
Re: Is ATF And Brake Oil Change Overdue? by Piyke: 5:06pm On Feb 16, 2016
Mueeze:
Hi all,

I purchased my 2000 Model Corolla just over 2 years ago. Apart from the Coolant, Engine Oil and Oil Filter change, I have not changed any other fluid in the car. Most of the Yakubu's advice that i leave the fluids as long as the brake and transmission is not giving issues.

I personally don't feel comfortable with how long the fluids have been in the car mostly because i don't know how long it has been there before i bought it.

The question is should I change the ATF and Brake Oil? if Yes, where can I get quality OEM oils?

I would personally change all fluids in a Toks or worse a registered car. You are in luck, Toyota OEM fluids are all over the place (depends on where you live). The exact spec of these fluids should be on your ATF dipstick and cap of brake fluid reservoir. Your manual asides also listing the fluid specs will also tell you when to replace them.
Re: Is ATF And Brake Oil Change Overdue? by Inspectahdeck(m): 5:07pm On Feb 16, 2016
Hi,

Follow the advise of your mech or yakubu, if you read the manual it clearly states that do not change regularly, and if you have too use ATF toyota fluid. You can get same at a good toyota spare part dealer. It cost about 10,000 to 15,000.
Re: Is ATF And Brake Oil Change Overdue? by Kashif(m): 10:11pm On Feb 16, 2016
Wether you change your atf or not depends on some factors - what is its state? Oxidised? Burnt? Has debris? It is not a straight yes or no. Hydraulics are hygroscopic, which means they tend to take in moisture. This will increase the heat in your brake system, and degrade its performance over time. Again, there is no harm in driving the care with the current fluids. Most imported new to you cars have maintenance document. It should contain the info you need to make the decisions.

When I got my current car, I drove it until the maint rqd indicator came on before changing the engine oil. It's possible what you rush to replace beats the replacement hands down.

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need Help My E-class Benz Korpressor Develop A Problem / What Could Make A Car Behave This Way? / Car Wax

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.