Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,534 members, 7,823,323 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! (17898 Views)

Dangote Pledges To Help FG Turn Around Nigeria’s Economy / Banks Deliberately Sabotaging Nigeria’s Economy - Former Minister, Kenneth Gbagi / Dangote Pledges To Assist FG To Turnaround Nigeria’s Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by sheubaba2013: 11:03pm On Feb 16, 2016
The issue of contract staff should be scraped Employ graduates, train them and take them as permanent staffs with good pay.

1 Like

Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by sheubaba2013: 11:06pm On Feb 16, 2016
Some of these white expertrates learn from Nigerian's. This country is gifted, blessed and talented. Say no to contract staffs, let's build our youths and start doing our thing ourself and in our own way.

1 Like

Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by Darlington1992(m): 11:13pm On Feb 16, 2016
Flyoruboy:

Guy, must you turn all your threads into an Anambra-centric one? You didnt have to suck us in with the deceptive headline. A more specific Anambra heading would have sufficed. Nigeria is bigger than your state alone abeg. I know you get paid to do this but try and show some versilitilty for once.
mtchewww, another tribalistic bigot
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by StuntingBlack(m): 11:16pm On Feb 16, 2016
[b] There is a huge gap between what the OP said and what is actually obtainable.

First, I as a Nigerian surely welcome the idea of banning more items than what the CBN has as of recent. But this OP failed to address the issue of import-substitution. To be frank with you, before true import-substitution can be achieved in this country, it will take almost eternity. What again? We have a set of money-hungry individuals in some sections of the country that will literally fail us by ending up mass-producing these imported products at extremely substandard qualities IF not counterfeits. Imports can't just disappear overnight. Some of the many questions that beg for answers include:

- Where is the 'intellectual' manpower that will effectively compete against importation?

- Where are the safeguard laws for consumer rights in Nigeria? (Last I checked, none exists)

- How well are we presently dealing with piracy?
- Where are the plans to boost local production?

There's no way I can be foolish enough to buy one Aba-made gadget that wont last few months (that's if I don't end up with disgusting fufu balls - my case for consumer rights) when i'm well guaranteed on my purchase of a foreign gadget that will serve me as needed. There is a clear cut distinction between patriotism and foolishness - I'm NO patriot to foolishness!! . If those agitating for Aba-made products wants them bought, then quality and trust should be the hallmark of Aba-made. ELSE, all this will be a waste of time. ITS ALL YHAT SIMPLE.

Secondly, even a kid should know the original OP isnt by the name Adekoya Boladele. This is just a mere marketing gimmick by some 'you-know-who' promoting Innoson, a company not well tested nor trusted enough. Until someone tells me why even up till now, Innoson still trails behind other foreign automobiles in usage in Nnewi where the company operates, this wont get anywhere.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by uncjay(m): 11:37pm On Feb 16, 2016
we are going to sink indefinitely if the current situation persist. First the FG needs to put all social infrastructures in place, exercise a stable power supply, and minimise the rate of imported goods, especially those ones we produce locally. Then we can think of moving forward. But these greedy polithieftian will never allow that since their primitive mentality is eminent.

1 Like

Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by MrEverest(m): 11:40pm On Feb 16, 2016
The poster above me (@stunting black) is one of the major reasons Nigeria may forever remain in a sorry state! Just look at level of self hating, anger & frustration he exhibited because he felt that Nigerians buying Aba products will favour those he love to hate! Well, take it or leave it, it is in your country's interest to buy Aba & indeed other local products to save your economy from iminent collapse!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by lezz(m): 11:46pm On Feb 16, 2016
t
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by lezz(m): 11:52pm On Feb 16, 2016
truthbastille:

Nigeria is part of an international world trade treaty that frowns at imposing levy on products from other countries especially the developed ones.
The WTO doesn't impost restrictions on foreign goods in a strict sense. Every country finds it expedient to protect local industries while still being part of globalisation. Japan has high tarrifs on foreign mid to small size vehicles to protect Toyota and Honda while they have lower taxes for luxury cars. Portugal and Italy has high tariff on foreign luxury cars than any other country in Europe. Nigeria simply does not have manufacturing plans and do not budget enough for infrastructural development. It is no surprise that despite our huge population, we still pay one of the costliest GSM cost of operation in Africa because every base station has a desiel plant!!! We cannot become a manufacturing country without standard road network, rail system and power. Lagos has no business being the only sea port in Nigeria. It creates bottleneck.
truthbastille:

Even at that, our habits for foreign products has eaten into every fabric of our social life.
If you go to China you will see a real craze for foreign fad and product despite their manufacturing prowess. China consumes 20% of the world luxury items -- all foreign. Americans value Benzes, BMW's and Porsche's more than their Ford's, Mustang and Chevrolets but she's the most technologically advanced country on the planet.

We crave foreign products to a frenzy because we manufacture next to nothing

3 Likes

Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by obailala(m): 12:03am On Feb 17, 2016
rozayx5:

and buhari lifted the rice ban i guess and uses london doctors since you were not born. the plan was if you fail . blame gej and iweala cheesy grin grin grin una neva suffer it will reach 500 # to a dollar before june. shey una vote olodo put for aso rock.
There was never really a ban on rice. Instead only a few monopolistic government favoured big men were allowed to import. Nigeria has always imported rice, go and get your facts right.
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by oduastates: 12:08am On Feb 17, 2016
sirade:

Are you kidding me?
That guy needs to change his profession if only what he can churn out in a year is 400 pairs .

Come to Shoe site Onitsha or Bakassi Aba and see what is called mass production of foot wears of assorted grade.

Why have they not bitten a huge chunk out of the global shoe industry?
The point you are missing is that there are ten of thousands of cobblers all over the country .
A government policy tilted towards people like these would in no time see huge export oriented conglomerate
Grow out of such policies.
Yes that 400 a day shoemaker can become the basis of a future Samsung .
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by searchcorp(m): 12:27am On Feb 17, 2016
That Akure guy there made my wedding shoe. Dope!!!!

I wear that show like every other day and it still looks brand new. His shoes are quite expensive because there are bespoke. He doesn't stock inventory. He delivered in a short notice. I m really very happy for his success.

Wow!!!!

oduastates:
Starting from the leaders.
This is tomatoes rotting away in the north .
Below it is a small time shoemaker who makes about 400 shoes a year in akure .Yet unpatriotic quacks like Okonjo Iweala opened the flood gates to the importation of foreign subsidised tomato paste , thereby sending local growers and processors into penury.
She opened the flood gates to vegetable oil importation as well .

Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by piagetskinner(m): 12:28am On Feb 17, 2016
Agriculture needs to be heavily invested in... That like or Last hope

Oil is already useless #letsputourthinkingcapson
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by Arise001: 12:45am On Feb 17, 2016
It begins with you sir
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by banmee(m): 1:02am On Feb 17, 2016
investnow2013:

http://dailypost.ng/2016/02/15/adekoya-boladale-nigerias-economy-awakening-the-snoring-giant/

"I think it is time we ban importation of mobile phones, computers, cars, electronics and related gadgets. If truly Nigeria is a huge market for Toyota, Samsung, Tecno, LG and likes, then it is high time they invest in our economy; it is high time we have Samsung Nigeria, Toyota Nigeria, Tecno Nigeria and co. International brands and companies must move beyond opening sales outlets in Nigeria or signing sales contract with Nigerian companies, they must start building manufacturing –not mere assembling- plants in Nigeria. We can no longer continue wasting our hard-earned money (apologies to looters) to improve foreign economy while ours wreck. You want to sell to Nigerians? Come to Nigeria!"

I find this quote funny. Who in their right minds would want to invest heavily in an unstable economy? Investing in Nigeria is more than a gamble. You forget that corruption is rife and fertile in Nigeria. Some individuals in Nigeria are stealing what most people would consider their country's yearly budget. These are some of the factors companies consider before making huge investment decisions. Op, i beg be serious.
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by IGBOPRINCE: 1:46am On Feb 17, 2016
investnow2013:
Sorghum Farm @ Igbariam Anambra State!.... These are the raw materials used by Onitsha based Sabmillar & other companies arround Anambra State!
after some people from the west will come out and shout east is small or anambra is tiny.
Hope una don dey see large hectares of lands for farming alone.
Flyoruboy want commit mother because he see good thing coming from the alaigbo. You get luck sey I no see your comments on time.
You no for get mouth to yan dust here.

You guys were the one that said we don't have anything in the east and we don't contribute anything, so why re you pained when we displays what we have?
Fedekebusola(newbie), warn your brothers o..
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by sirade(m): 6:05am On Feb 17, 2016
oduastates:

Why have they not bitten a huge chunk out of the global shoe industry?
The point you are missing is that there are ten of thousands of cobblers all over the country .
A government policy tilted towards people like these would in no time see huge export oriented conglomerate
Grow out of such policies.
Yes that 400 a day shoemaker can become the basis of a future Samsung .

my dear we Nigerians always like to live in self denial,
on the question of why they are not making wave in global shoe industries, I can bet you 50 - 60% of Nigerians wear those footwears without knowing it.
Thanks to immitation of foreign brands.
I am in the system so I know what I am talking about. Nigeria shoe market span from Nigeria to down east and central African countries.

A trip to shoe site Onitsha will convinced you.
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:46am On Feb 17, 2016
investnow2013:
Amichi Anambra State Locally Produced Rice!
Nice
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by sundoj08(m): 7:05am On Feb 17, 2016
Absolutely true and insightful stuff from the op. Nigerians need to understand that the western world is not some arch Angel Gabriel and they're only *helping* based on what they're getting in return. It's like asking the devil for help. Either Nigeria gets it right or there's gonna be a lot of trouble for it's posterity and the signs are already showing.
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by holland002(m): 7:25am On Feb 17, 2016
I was very surprise to see d lowest price of innoson vehicle being sold for 1.5m, made in nigeria good are meant to be lesser than imported ones.....
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by StuntingBlack(m): 7:44am On Feb 17, 2016
MrEverest:
The poster above me (@stunting black) is one of the major reasons Nigeria may forever remain in a sorry state! Just look at level of self hating, anger & frustration he exhibited because he felt that Nigerians buying Aba products will favour those he love to hate! Well, take it or leave it, it is in your country's interest to buy Aba & indeed other local products to save your economy from iminent collapse!!

Take it OR leave it, so far the name 'Aba-made' continues to betray quality and trust in reality, then it is in your country's interest to be more realistically objective to the present look of things and ensure Aba-made doesn't end up destroying lives and hard-earned monies.

Trust me, not all sections of Nigerians will be stupid enough to call a spade a shovel because of Aba-made products.!!
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by StuntingBlack(m): 8:05am On Feb 17, 2016
banmee:

I find this quote funny. Who in their right minds would want to invest heavily in an unstable economy? Investing in Nigeria is more than a gamble. You forget that corruption is rife and fertile in Nigeria. Some individuals in Nigeria are stealing what most people would consider their country's yearly budget. These are some of the factors companies consider before making huge investment decisions. Op, i beg be serious.

You saw through it Man.

The funny and annoying thing about all these is the marketing gimmicks. Lets even pretend Aba-made even matches up with quality/trust obtainable in foreign imports, have those shouting Aba-made factored in the many years of excessive consumer rights violation by these same Aba-made? Who in his right senses will think of patronizing Aba-made when he/she has an experience of a first-hand rip-off by purchasing either chronic sub-standards or refurbished or even counterfeits?

Again, they fail to factor in the high level of corruption capable of mesmerizing the integrity of local production. They fail to forget that corruption plays a big role in hindering investors intetested in boosting local production.

Ignore these ramblings Man. All these are mere gimmicks to get the opportunity to mass-produce more substandard and fake products to innocent Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by Candybob(m): 8:17am On Feb 17, 2016
First of all, Nigeria is not a giant!
Having children everywhere who are nothing but consumers does not make you a giant!
An elephant gives birth one at a time, a rat gives birth to 6 or 8 at a time!
Which of them is Nigeria emulating?
The Rat!
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by indoorlove(m): 8:45am On Feb 17, 2016
Its is high time we look inward. Nigeria is blessed with abundant human and capital resources to finance project that will have an everlasting impact on our economy.
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by comos: 8:49am On Feb 17, 2016
Flyoruboy:

Guy, must you turn all your threads into an Anambra-centric one? You didnt have to suck us in with the deceptive headline. A more specific Anambra heading would have sufficed. Nigeria is bigger than your state alone abeg. I know you get paid to do this but try and show some versilitilty for once.

why not post your Osun products instead of complaining

1 Like

Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by destineguy(m): 8:50am On Feb 17, 2016
Flyoruboy:

Even if he gets paid doing this, atleast he is bold enough to publicize his state and her innovations. What have you done for your state? This kind of mentality, does not sustain growth in unionism. GET A LIFE BRO. By the way, I am a westerner and I greatly appreciate what he is doing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by Wallade(m): 9:02am On Feb 17, 2016
Please educate me about the Innosson Motors: is it really made or assembled in Nigeria. Does Nigeria really manufacture those innosson vehicles?

I think those vehicles are made in China, it is just another copycat work. Innosson is the brand name of these copycat vehicles.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by banmee(m): 9:05am On Feb 17, 2016
StuntingBlack:

You saw through it Man.

The funny and annoying thing about all these is the marketing gimmicks. Lets even pretend Aba-made even matches up with quality/trust obtainable in foreign imports, have those shouting Aba-made factored in the many years of excessive consumer rights violation by these same Aba-made? Who in his right senses will think of patronizing Aba-made when he/she has an experience of a first-hand rip-off by purchasing either chronic sub-standards or refurbished or even counterfeits?

Again, they fail to factor in the high level of corruption capable of mesmerizing the integrity of local production. They fail to forget that corruption plays a big role in hindering investors intetested in boosting local production.

Ignore these ramblings Man. All these are mere gimmicks to get the opportunity to mass-produce more substandard and fake products to innocent Nigerians.

Please, drink a beer on my behalf.
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by MrEverest(m): 9:06am On Feb 17, 2016
StuntingBlack:

Take it OR leave it, so far the name 'Aba-made' continues to betray quality and trust in reality, then it is in your country's interest to be more realistically objective to the present look of things and ensure Aba-made doesn't end up destroying lives and hard-earned monies.

Trust me, not all sections of Nigerians will be stupid enough to call a spade a shovel because of Aba-made products.!!
You are simply ignorant, biased & hateful. If the Chinese had your mentality, they wont be the worlds factory today! Few years back, they were derided for producing inferior goods but they kept improving with massive government support till today. Aba made suits, shirts, trousers are better designed, lasts longer & cheaper than imported ones! Aba made shoes, boxers, belt, bags lasts longer than Indonesia Or Dubai made! Nigerian made cables & engine oil are better than imported ones. Be objective, Quality is relative & I am talking from experience!!
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by TenPassfour(m): 9:29am On Feb 17, 2016
Great Lectures
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by Nobody: 11:08am On Feb 17, 2016
Btruth:
We got frustrated with our local rice supply from Kogi state to Lagos, when customers were complaining that it should be a lot cheaper to the foreign rice. We made them to realize that it's not the cost of production, but the cost of transportation and the produces charges in each states as you are coming to Lagos.
Now that the dollar is high, foreign rice would be expensive. I think you should consider supplying to Lagos again.
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by jamjo: 11:52am On Feb 17, 2016
investnow2013:

http://dailypost.ng/2016/02/15/adekoya-boladale-nigerias-economy-awakening-the-snoring-giant/

Thank you very very much because you understand the way out for our country, I will relocate from USA if this government will take this route you just out lined .
Re: Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! by investnow2013: 12:01pm On Feb 17, 2016
MrEverest:
You are simply ignorant, biased & hateful. If the Chinese had your mentality, they wont be the worlds factory today! Few years back, they were derided for producing inferior goods but they kept improving with massive government support till today. Aba made suits, shirts, trousers are better designed, lasts longer & cheaper than imported ones! Aba made shoes, boxers, belt, bags lasts longer than Indonesia Or Dubai made! Nigerian made cables & engine oil are better than imported ones. Be objective, Quality is relative & I am talking from experience!!
Yes of course! If govt encourage them many will come to the reality that some of the stuff they are using that was labelled Made in Italy, Japan, China, America are produced in Aba Abia state of Nigeria!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2% Of Nigerians Own 90% Bank Deposits — NDIC / Devakumar Edwin: Products From Dangote Refinery To Hit The Market By Early 2022 / Fire Guts Okobaba Sawmill Market. Lagos State Fire Service saves situation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.