Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,026 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members (3107 Views)

NYSC Medical Certificate: Is HIV Test Compulsory For Prospective Corps Members? / NYSC 2017 Batch A: Important Changes For Prospective Corp Members / 2016 Batch B Mobilization Of Prospective Corps Members Begins Tomorrow(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by DSuperWoman(f): 8:28pm On Feb 16, 2016
Honestly I don't know what to name this thread. I'll probably think of something when I'm done writing.Was suppose to have written this thread a long time ago but ever since I returned from camp, Glo has been crappy. Abeg Glo subscribers how are you holding up?

I initially wanted to write a thread on "why you should choose Bornu as your state for service" but since 2016 batch A have gone beyond that stage I'll move to just writing little things about NYSC that might be of help to someone.

NYSC SERVICE IS RELATIVE: The first thing you should know about service is that it differs according to the states, time of the year, personnel's in-charge etc so expect anything and have an open mind.

In my camp we had to come out for drills every 5am (which is a standard in NYSC) despite the fact that the weather could be as low as 12 degree Celsius sometimes (damn it was cold) whereas in Jos they didn't do drills, their weather could be as low as 9 degrees

Someone told us that in Lagos camp they severed them beans a lot and the coppers where completely in-charge of cooking (according to different platoons of course) in my camp we where served beans just once, coppers just assisted the kitchen staff and we where even served chicken on Sundays

Some camps did not allow any other cloth to be worn except the NYSC uniforms not even hijab for the Muslim sisters but in my camp it was allowed. Hijab was allowed, cardigan was allowed, in fact if the solders see you without a cardigan they'll advice you to get one so you don't die of cold. The rule was you can wear these thing as long as they are white but they allowed all colors of cardigans, blue, peach, red. They wore cardigans themselves. We wore head warmers, gloves, leggings under our shorts, long thick socks on-top the leggings, thick cardigans and facial mask to prevent breathing dust. So you see camp is relative.

MAKE SURE TO BUY CHASE DEER SHIRTS: This one is for the ladies. We are not use to buying inner shirts so we may not know the right brand to buy. I made this mistake. I spent 650 Naira each buying fake BYC shirts when i could have just bought chase deer for 500 Naira and they are better than they fake BYC shirts, so check the label before you buy.

GET A PANT PEG: This is very important for when you wash, I've never seen anyone include this in their list of "what to carry for camp" but its very important. In camp, there may not be a large space for you to spread your clothes but if you have a pant peg you can hang all your clothes on it. take few hangers, one for hanging your towel (and anything-else you want too) then take a pant peg

RELOCATION: NYSC is getting more strict by the year. Initially, if you have a health report you would be redeployed immediately but now the officials are getting more strict because more than half of the core members come with medical report lols. In some camps, interviews are conducted to make sure you're not lie-ing about you're illness. Some camps only call you for an interview when you illness is something they've not seen before and they bounce the rest whereas some camps still acknowledge all reports but they're getting rarer by the day; remember rule number one? NYSC is relative. They best option for redeployment for non-married coppers is to get posted to a state with insecurity issues (Bornu, Adamawa, Yobe, Taraba) in Nigeria cuz they have automatic redeployment. which brings me to my final advice.

YOUR BEST REDEPLOYMENT OFFER (FOR NON MARRIED COPPERS) IS CHOOSING A STATE WITH INSECURITY:

Yes o, for those who want to redeploy CLOSE to home this is your best LEGAL option. Health was the way forward before but it's not certain anymore. If you find the right person to hand over some cash for your redeployment that will be great but this is not certain either. I live in Rivers State and I have a business i'm pursing so I needed to redeploy back home so i can continue with my biz during my service year.

I tried working my posting, but this new system of choosing states has made posting harder to work.

So I decided to choose Bornu State knowing that they offer automatic redeployment (for the reason of insecurity) "to any state of your choice except state where you live" so I didn't get Rivers State but I got Bayelsa.

Naturally the computer would not include Bayelsa as an option if I wanted to choose it during my registration (since it's in close proximity to the state i reside) and even if it did, I would have no guarantee of being posted there since it would have been one out of 3 choices but redeployment doesn't work like that.

When you are being redeployed from these States you are most likely to be given any state of your choice EXCEPT you choose rush hour states like, Akwa Ibom, Abuja, Lagos and maybe Rivers (in order of rush hourness lols). The officials will claim that the states are full and post you to nearby states eg for Lagos they will give you Ogun, for Abuja you may get Nassarawa.

NOTE: States with insecurity issues don't camp coppers in those states, they are camped in other peaceful states and given a chance to redeploy or proceed to their host states after camp. For years now Bornu coppers have been camping in Benue State, in 2014 it was Nassarawa and in 2015 we camped in Katsina state

Bornu coppers (and maybe other insecurity coppers)receive lenient treatment compared other states
-the soldiers are nice to us compared to what i heard from other camps
-the DG of Nysc, Bornu state Governor, Kastina State Governor, State coordinator pets us and begs us to serve in Bornu (knowing that we cant wait to redeploy back home)
-the DG sent two representatives to our camp on different occasions to beg us not to redeploy (I heard the DG doesnt just send rep like that)
- Bornu state Governor gave us 10 cows, 400 tubers of yam, many other food items and 1million naira (which we shared 450 among ourselves) just to make us serve in Bornu PS: 450 naira is big money in kastina camp, it can buy you hot water to bath for a whole week.
-according to our camp commandant, the DG called everyday to make sure the soldiers were not hard on us.

Akwaibom State is recently the hardest State to redeploy to, I know of people who chose Lagos, Abuja, Rivers and got them but everyone who chose Akwaibom was redeployed somewhere else. Rivers State is not as hard as it use to be because the rush to serve here has reduced since the state hasn't paid coppers for the past 3years now.

This doesn't mean these states are easily accessible during redeployment o, it easiest way to get the state of your choice is to avoid them.

YOU CAN BUY YOUR WHITE RUBBER TENNIS SHOES IN CAMP: I looked for these in the market and ended up buying a tennis shoe with a rubber sole, I thought it was the one until I saw the rubber tennis shoe in camp for 500naira (in Katsina). So don't bother about looking for them too much you'll get them in camp.

I'll update as I remember more things to share but for now remember rule number one. NYSC SERVICE IS RELATIVE.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by LogoDWhiz(m): 8:34pm On Feb 16, 2016
Thanks for this dear!
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by DSuperWoman(f): 8:42pm On Feb 16, 2016
you're welcome hun
LogoDWhiz:
Thanks for this dear!
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by Meeloreh(f): 9:18pm On Feb 16, 2016
Thanks alot
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by CorperShop(f): 10:06pm On Feb 16, 2016
Meeloreh:
Thanks alot

Spot On op.

I concur with everything you've written above. I think I wrote a similar post lastyear too.

Camp is relative.

I always encourage my PCM shoppers that NYSC is not a death camp, hence they should have an open mind.

You will learn a whole lot. You will see Nigeria and it's people in a completely different light.

... Op, it's a pity you mistakenly bought the fake BYC. however, BYC is one of the top round necks you can still buy. Just be sure to buy the real thing.

That's is why at NYSC CorperShop, we stock only the best variety of roundnecks.

- Chase deer : Cotton elastic (2k for 3pcs)
- BYC : Non-expandable cotton ( 2k for 3pcs).
- Victan : cotton V-neck ( 2500 for 3pcs).

Shop from us so you can have peac of mind.
We also stock the following

- Dope white shorts ( 700per 1).
- Safe disposable panties ( 500per pck, 6pcs).
- hooded cardigan ( 2500 -3000)
- cardigan ( 1500- 2500)
- front zipped cardigan ( 2000-2500)
- head warmers, varieties of hoods ( 700- 1000)
- cool glooves ( 700- 1000)
- Long thick socks ( 500)
- Leather tennis, clothe tennis, rubber tennis ( 2500, 1500, 1000 respectively)
- Packaged garri ijebu ( 250 per maaxi pack).

.... and lots more.

NYSC CorperShop is your one stop convenience shop.

Note that our stuffs are authentic and affordable.

In this time of plenty money flow ( you understand abi), they are the best quality deal you can get so far.

Trust me. None of our customers ever complain.

We look forward to serving you.

Delivery Nationwide for 1k

Whatsapps : 08057318900
BbmC : School Shoppers Arena : C00264533

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by LogoDWhiz(m): 10:11pm On Feb 16, 2016
DSuperWoman:
you're welcome hun
Nice 1 dear.
Would like to know where you're serving though!
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by DSuperWoman(f): 10:13pm On Feb 16, 2016
Nice biz you have here, you should add NYSC Kaki to your biz as well, what do you think?
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by DSuperWoman(f): 10:45pm On Feb 16, 2016
was posted to Bornu but redeployed to Bayelsa
LogoDWhiz:

Nice 1 dear.

Would like to know where you're serving though!
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by LogoDWhiz(m): 11:02pm On Feb 16, 2016
DSuperWoman:
was posted to Bornu but redeployed to Bayelsa

Ohh. Make sense!

How's the Island?
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by DSuperWoman(f): 11:56pm On Feb 16, 2016
My dear na them know oh, i hardly go there. worked my posting to a place with little or no work so I can have time to focus on my biz in PH.
LogoDWhiz:

Ohh. Make sense!

How's the Island?
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by LogoDWhiz(m): 1:18am On Feb 17, 2016
DSuperWoman:
My dear na them know oh, i hardly go there. worked my posting to a place with little or no work so I can have time to focus on my biz in PH.

Ohh. Okay!

Enjoy! grin
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by DSuperWoman(f): 5:13am On Feb 17, 2016
you're welcome
Meeloreh:
Thanks alot
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by SomebodysMrs(f): 11:52am On Feb 17, 2016
thanks for this
the unauthorized callup letter had me posted to borno. now i can heave a sigh of relief after reading this
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by callMeAlpha(m): 12:00pm On Feb 17, 2016
Very helpful..very very Helpful..thanks alot
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by Nobody: 2:44pm On Feb 17, 2016
thanks for taking your time in sharing useful info.
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by jayloms: 7:38pm On Feb 17, 2016
I made a bloody mistake by removing Bornu from my list undecided
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by callMeAlpha(m): 7:42pm On Feb 17, 2016
jayloms:
i made a bloody mistake by nt adding Bornu as ma 3rd to increase ma chances of getting Enugu or akwa ibom....
Rather i choosed Adamawa,Enugu,Kaduna and Akwa ibom in that particular oder... sad
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by jayloms: 7:46pm On Feb 17, 2016
callMeAlpha:
i made a bloody mistake by nt adding Bornu as ma 3rd to increase ma chances of getting Enugu or akwa ibom....
Rather i choosed Adamawa,Enugu,Kaduna and Akwa ibom in that particular oder... sad

You can't pick Bornu and Adamawa, it's either one of them since they both fall under NE zone.
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by callMeAlpha(m): 9:45pm On Feb 17, 2016
jayloms:

You can't pick Bornu and Adamawa, it's either one of them since they both fall under NE zone.
anything to escape d north,...how abt urs,how did u arrange urs?
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by Greycious(m): 7:34am On Feb 18, 2016
Borno here I come grin
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by ferdyferd: 10:48am On Feb 18, 2016
I remember I tried choosing Bornu, Adamawa, or Yobe as my first choice. But when I registered those state where no longer available, guess sharp guys don choose am finish grin
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by GENERALCASHMIR(m): 5:24pm On Feb 18, 2016
@ OP its not core member its corp member,thank you
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by DSuperWoman(f): 11:43pm On Feb 18, 2016
Believe me, you wont regret it
SomebodysMrs:
thanks for this
the unauthorized callup letter had me posted to borno. now i can heave a sigh of relief after reading this
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by DSuperWoman(f): 11:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
you're welcome. glad i could be of help
callMeAlpha:
Very helpful..very very Helpful..thanks alot
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by DSuperWoman(f): 11:47pm On Feb 18, 2016
awww thanks so much, glad you found it helpful
WinningSun:
thanks for taking your time in sharing useful info.
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by DSuperWoman(f): 11:53pm On Feb 18, 2016
Thanks for the correction, laughing at myself right now. I spelt it the way it was being pronounced in camp. I'll correct it now
GENERALCASHMIR:
@ OP its not core member its corp member,thank you
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by DSuperWoman(f): 11:56pm On Feb 18, 2016
wow, i guess people are getting enlightened. my dear just make the best of wherever you find yourself
ferdyferd:
I remember I tried choosing Bornu, Adamawa, or Yobe as my first choice. But when I registered those state where no longer available, guess sharp guys don choose am finish grin
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by DSuperWoman(f): 12:04am On Feb 19, 2016
You chose 4 states? is that how they do it now? anyway.Just make the best of wherever you find yourself; get an additional job to make some more money, do your personal CDS if you want to, just be active and you'll enjoy it
callMeAlpha:
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by DSuperWoman(f): 12:15am On Feb 19, 2016
My dear, don't worry things will be alright. You can still try using a medical report to redeploy, it might work but if it doesn't just make the best of wherever you are posted to. If you're business oriented, transfer your business there. The NYSC Kahki can make you enter places you wouldn't have been able to enter ordinarily (maybe I should open a thread on the favors I get by putting on kahki). you can make some extra cash by getting an extra job; giving extra moral lessons, have a plan and make sure you're not passive about your service year.
jayloms:
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by jayloms: 2:26am On Feb 19, 2016
DSuperWoman:
My dear, don't worry things will be alright. You can still try using a medical report to redeploy, it might work but if it doesn't just make the best of wherever you are posted to. If you're business oriented, transfer your business there. The NYSC Kahki can make you enter places you wouldn't have been able to enter ordinarily (maybe I should open a thread on the favors I get by putting on kahki). you can make some extra cash by getting an extra job; giving extra moral lessons, have a plan and make sure you're not passive about your service year.

Tanx a bunch. Appreciate ur kind inputs
Re: Little Piece Of Advice For Prospective Corps Members by callMeAlpha(m): 9:56am On Apr 25, 2016
Plz who amongst u in stream 1 got either of Adamawa,bornu or yobe as ur place of deployment?

(1) (Reply)

NYSC Problem And Relocating Back To Nigeria To Work After Years Working Abroad / Corpers Involved In A Ghastly Accident In Umuahia, Abia State. / Has NYSC Released New Names For Stream 2?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.