Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Trouble Looms As Senate Plans To Suspend Anti-saraki Senator-sr - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Trouble Looms As Senate Plans To Suspend Anti-saraki Senator-sr (1081 Views)

Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. / CCT Trial: APC Members Tormenting Saraki – Senator Sani / Tinubu Bars Pro-saraki Senator, Alasoadura, From APC Caucus Meetings-the Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trouble Looms As Senate Plans To Suspend Anti-saraki Senator-sr by dulaman: 2:15pm On Feb 17, 2016
Marafa had in the interview, expressed support for Former President Olusegun Obasanjo over the issues he raised in his recent letter to both chambers of the National Assembly, especially on the need to make the annual budget of the federal parliament, transparent and accessible to Nigerians.

But at the resumption of plenary after a two-week recess on Tuesday, the Senator representing Bauchi South Senatorial District, Issa Missau, drew the attention of his colleagues to the publication, which according to him, was offensive.

Coming under matters of personal privilege, Missau, alleged that Marafa, by his comments, had infringed on his rights and that of others which should elicit an instant punishment from the Senate in order to serve as deterrent to others.

He said, “Senator Kabiru Marafa granted an interview misleading the public telling lies against this institution, the Senate. I think I have been called more than 500 times from my constituency in respect of this publication.

“I am a kind of person who struggled very hard to be here in this senate and I started this journey from 2012 when I contested on the platform of the Action Congress of Nigeria in 2011.

I know how much I suffered, God in his infinite mercy granted me this privilege in 2015 and I will not allow somebody who enjoyed the 7th Senate to come and not allow us to do our work properly here.

“Mr president I think the leadership has to do something about this, the senate should do something about this. We cannot allow one person to continue to tell lies against the Senate misleading the public.

“I think it is better we take decision so that we correct things not only Marafa, anybody that is here would not be allowed to be misleading the public. I think it is not okay Mr President”

Another senator, Matthew Urhoghide from Edo South, seconded the motion moved by Missau and called for appropriate sanctions against the Zamfara Central senator.

Urhoghide said, “I want to lend my voice to the submission that was made by Senator Misau in respect to the publication in the Punch of the interview that was granted on Senator Kabiru Marafa.

“I want to say with every vehemence and every element of responsibility, that publication as contained in The Punch, smeared the integrity of this house and has totally put our reputation and of course reputations of other distinguished senators here to disrepute.

“When I got calls from a very large number of my constituents in respect of that publication I felt diminished. The leadership of this house that I have so much reverence had been brought to total disrepute.

“Senator Missau said it took him 11 years to get to the Senate, I want to say that it took me 23 years to come to the Senate. It is common knowledge to the people in my constituency that the first time I contested senatorial election was in 1992.

“Today I am in the senate on the platform of the PDP after 23 years. For one other senator to think and act in a manner that will reduce my person and this institution is totally unacceptable.
The tension in the senate heightened on Tuesday when some senators commenced the process of suspending the spokesperson for the Senate President Unity Forum, Senator Kabir Marafa, over an interview he granted and published in the last week edition of Sunday Punch

“I want to say we need to take a drastic decision that will serve as a deterrent to other persons that want to act like Marafa and will bring this distinguished Senate to disrepute.

” If anybody had bothered to read that interview, you will know that it is an issue that we must not treat with kid gloves. It is an issue that we must look at very dispassionately and this is not the time to raise unnecessary passions.”

Ruling on the motion, Senate President referred the matter to the Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions, to investigate and report back next week Tuesday.

In his reaction, Marafa described the issue as a welcome development, and expressed his preparedness to appear before the panel.

http://saharareporters.com/2016/02/16/trouble-looms-senate-plans-suspend-anti-saraki-senator
Interested in Advertising? Sponsored Ad

Re: Trouble Looms As Senate Plans To Suspend Anti-saraki Senator-sr by Last2comment(m): 2:16pm On Feb 17, 2016
Ok
Re: Trouble Looms As Senate Plans To Suspend Anti-saraki Senator-sr by Nobody: 2:20pm On Feb 17, 2016
Tinubu and his bloody minority senators would be decisively dealt with by the Hon senate leadership!! We cannot continue to allow shenanigans to continue to malign the distinguished senators.The earlier they realised they are minority in the senate the better for them.Even if Saraki dies today,they do not have the numbers to elect a new senate president from their camp

2 Likes

Re: Trouble Looms As Senate Plans To Suspend Anti-saraki Senator-sr by seunmsg(m): 2:21pm On Feb 17, 2016
Saraki should leave Marafa alone and defend himself before the CCT. Suspending senators opposed to him will not save him from the sword of justice dangling over his head.
Re: Trouble Looms As Senate Plans To Suspend Anti-saraki Senator-sr by danemenike: 2:22pm On Feb 17, 2016
nnn
Re: Trouble Looms As Senate Plans To Suspend Anti-saraki Senator-sr by seunmsg(m): 2:26pm On Feb 17, 2016
chukwudi44:
Tinubu and his bloody minority senators would be decisively dealt with by the Hon senate leadership!! We cannot continue to allow shenanigans to continue to malign the distinguished senators.The earlier they realised they are minority in the senate the better for them.Even if Saraki dies today,they do not have the numbers to elect a new senate president from their camp

Old man, I know you have been seeing Tinubu in your dreams since last year when APC won the presidential election but please, stop making it obvious at every opportunity. This thread is about senator Marafa and not Tinubu. Address the subject of discussion and stop bringing Tinubu into every of your comment.
Re: Trouble Looms As Senate Plans To Suspend Anti-saraki Senator-sr by evatee(m): 2:33pm On Feb 17, 2016
chukwudi44:

Agahdinwoke seems you have problems reading in btw the lines....All what u think about this days is Tinubu...If he knew sbdy like u is having sleepless night cos of him would have been better. Better use ur head to think of something good and leave Tinubu out of all these nonsense....stop acting as if u don't know how politics is being played.
Re: Trouble Looms As Senate Plans To Suspend Anti-saraki Senator-sr by Ecoterrorism(f): 2:33pm On Feb 17, 2016
Who are the constituents that do call these Senators 500 times when Marafa said the truth about them.

APC and its Senators can LIE
Re: Trouble Looms As Senate Plans To Suspend Anti-saraki Senator-sr by seunmsg(m): 3:02pm On Feb 17, 2016
Ecoterrorism:
Who are the constituents that do call these Senators 500 times when Marafa said the truth about them.

APC and its Senators can LIE

Senator Issa Missau, Bauchi South Senatorial District - PDP

Senator Matthew Urhoghide, Edo south senatorial district - PDP.

Here they are, your lying PDP senators. Get your facts right next time before making unfounded allegations.

1 Like

Re: Trouble Looms As Senate Plans To Suspend Anti-saraki Senator-sr by babyfaceafrica: 3:47pm On Feb 17, 2016
Na dem dem
Re: Trouble Looms As Senate Plans To Suspend Anti-saraki Senator-sr by Ghandi12: 4:56pm On Feb 17, 2016
dulaman:
Marafa had in the interview, expressed support for Former President Olusegun Obasanjo over the issues he raised in his recent letter to both chambers of the National Assembly, especially on the need to make the annual budget of the federal parliament, transparent and accessible to Nigerians...

This Senator is only saying the minds of millions who have been watching the unchallenged corruption in the NASS. Even the more powerful and relevant executive arm of government have details of their spending plans available to all Nigerians - why has this vestigial NASS remained unscrupulously corrupt.

Public assignment is about service - no be by force. These overpaid layabouts should stop telling us how they have been contesting for decades!

One day the oppressed will have our day...and Senator Marafa and his likes will become heroes.

(1) (Reply)

BUDGET Defence:Senate C’ttee Disgrace Bank Of Agriculture MD,Drag Him Out Today / Another Nationwide Blackout Looms As Power Generation Drops By 759MW In 24 Hours / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Spits Fire!!!! Obj And Buhari More Interested In Oil Blocks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.