Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,494 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. (25810 Views)

Osinbajo To Monitor Implementation Of ₦2.3 Trillion Stimulus Package / Senate Plans To Reschedule Presidential, NASS, Guber Elections / Magu: Senate Plans Fresh Showdown With Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by modelsms(m): 4:56pm On Apr 12, 2017

By Emmanuel Aziken, Political Editor

LAGOS— Further pressure is coming on Nigeria’s banks following moves by the National Assembly to mop up an estimated N3 trillion from dormant accounts of living and dead persons in the banking system.

SENATE CHAMBER
Under ongoing moves in the Senate, the funds are to be polled into a fund for use by the government to build and maintain infrastructure, notably roads and power, through a board to be set up under the proposed law.

Expectedly, bank chiefs, according to Vanguard sources, are already fighting back with an intense lobby to kill or water down the provisions of the proposed law. The efforts of the banks, nonetheless, Vanguard gathered that the Presidency is already weighing in on the bill and exploring the legal and political consequences.

The bill, which has passed through first reading, also envisages to poll the estimated N3 trillion in dormant accounts and an estimated N100 billion unclaimed dividends held back by companies operating in the secondary market of the capital market. The polled funds will be managed by a board to be created under the proposed law.

The bill to capture the dormant funds is entitled ‘Dormant Accounts Bill, 2016’ and is sponsored by Senator Ovie Omo-Agege (APC, Delta Central).

The bill prescribes a N10 million fine besides other sanctions on any account provider (bank) which fails to fully comply with a demand notice as prescribed by the board established to manage the fund.

Sponsor of the bill, Senator Omo-Agege, while explaining the purpose of the bill said: “From my research, we have about N3 trillion sitting in these accounts, the owners don’t know that these funds are still there. The banks are treating these funds as if it is their own. In civilised climes, the way it is treated is that after 10 years, it becomes what is called bona vacantia, it now reverts to the states.

“That is the way it is treated in most civilised climes, in the US, UK and elsewhere. But here, the banks treat it as their own funds, they will not even let you know how much is involved in those accounts, they take it as their own money.

“What we want to do is to harness all of these funds, domicile it with the CBN which will now make the money available to agencies like FERMA for the repair of roads, even deploy some to assist with power generation and things like that.

“If the owners ever show up, you can pay back the principal to them with 1.5 per cent interest which is very, very cheap. If they don’t, it remains bona vacantia.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.vanguardngr.com/2017/04/senate-plans-law-harvest-n3trn-dormant-bank-accounts/amp/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by smartty68(m): 5:02pm On Apr 12, 2017
Senate on this issue?shocked

Its a no no for me because they'll zoom off with this funds. See how they preach about power supply like they care.

As for banks, they are the biggest ponzi scheme ever existed.

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by Alisegun(m): 5:11pm On Apr 12, 2017

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by DickDastardly(m): 5:13pm On Apr 12, 2017
grin grin Now they'd be robbing the dead too grin cheesy

Why not focus on their usual stealing from the living? angry sad

The fate of the one who tried to rob "Old Roger's Apple Tree" awaits them smiley smiley

89 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by Mr2kay3: 5:13pm On Apr 12, 2017
Just imagine Why don't dey trace the families instead

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by ramdris(m): 5:14pm On Apr 12, 2017
Am very angry right now

14 Likes

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by influenz: 5:14pm On Apr 12, 2017
They want to cripple the financial system. Why not reduce their outrageous allowances
Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by Damilolababy(f): 5:14pm On Apr 12, 2017
Check Out This Two Sisters Disturbing Social Media With Big Watermelons (Photos)

http://www.wapextra.com.ng/two-sisters-disturbing-social-media-with-big-watermelons/
Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by Lexusgs430: 5:14pm On Apr 12, 2017
I laugh spiritual laughter

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by nairaman66(m): 5:15pm On Apr 12, 2017
Senate=house of commotion and fraud!!
Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by xxxtedyxxx(m): 5:15pm On Apr 12, 2017
Thieves.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by ezeonline2(m): 5:15pm On Apr 12, 2017
This one strong oo
Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by obembet(f): 5:15pm On Apr 12, 2017
Many you will now understand that this set of criminals has nothing to offer .. No beta law that will Favour masses since 1999....

6 Likes

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by HermesParis: 5:15pm On Apr 12, 2017
Is this not daylight robbery

Good a thing, our legislaTHIEVES are living to their names big time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by TeflonBlixx: 5:16pm On Apr 12, 2017
What manner of fuckkery is this sef??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by jejemanito: 5:16pm On Apr 12, 2017
sad
Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by wedeonline(m): 5:16pm On Apr 12, 2017
Hmmmm. I personally use two of my dormant accounts as my savings. Infact i have more funds there, so what happens if senate just take my money without my consent? Wrong move if you ask me because a lot of people saving for projects leave some account dormant and just make deposits only.

11 Likes

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by Echelle(m): 5:16pm On Apr 12, 2017
so this is why heritage bank refused to give me my late dad's money?

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by oseka101(m): 5:16pm On Apr 12, 2017
No body should touch my hundred box wey i get for GTB oo if not dey will hear from my lawyers and God me and my money sheww angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by oyienootieno: 5:16pm On Apr 12, 2017
Mr2kay3:
Just imagine Why don't dey trace the families instead

God bless you... wisdom is profitable...

18 Likes

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by rozayx5(m): 5:17pm On Apr 12, 2017
undecided

more grass to cut

more funds for the crooks to steal

grin
Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by tstx(m): 5:17pm On Apr 12, 2017
Seen
Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by Miles300: 5:17pm On Apr 12, 2017
Very useless leaders , has leadership come to this point ..?

6 Likes

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by superior1: 5:17pm On Apr 12, 2017
To throw the country into further reccession?, poor economic decision
Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by Fantastic2m(m): 5:17pm On Apr 12, 2017
Scavengers..
Looking for. Dead peoples money to loot

5 Likes

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by theophorus(m): 5:18pm On Apr 12, 2017
...Abeg when una go debate/pass 2017 budget?
Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by MrGreenMavro: 5:18pm On Apr 12, 2017
shocked

This people did not give the masses anything yet they want to steal our monies from the bank angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Senate Plans Law To Harvest 3 Trillion From Dormant Bank Accounts. by seyigiggle: 5:18pm On Apr 12, 2017
abeg make i go claim my 10k plus dividend, its more than a year now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Igbo Professionals Call For National Referendum - Guardian / Buhari Has Created 12 Million Jobs In Agric Sector Alone - Lai Mohammed / Kwara Assembly Give Reasons Why Saraki’s Properties Were Seized

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.