Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,720 members, 7,809,733 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:04 PM

Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! (11758 Views)

See What A Nigerian Prison In Kaduna Looks Like (photos) / Gowon's Son JackMusa Released From Prison In U.S / So Skinny! See What Obasanjo Looks Like After Being Released From Prison In 1998 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by congoshine(m): 5:11pm On Jul 10, 2009
shawn123:

Nigerians! we are a funny bunch of people. We say our leaders/government is our problem. Now even as Nigerians have gone to a country with good leadership, our people are running them out of Prison space. If the British is considering building a prison in Nigeria, dont you guys think its because our people are committing soo much crime over there. Are we cursed people? or what?
Some people are ignorantly saying they should be building schools, industries in Nigeria instead of building jails. I laugh out loud at that one, Why are they compelled to build schools for us, Do they owe us money or what? Bunch of lazy people, imagine someone saying they should be building schools and industries in Nigeria (shoo na dem be our papa and mama?)
At this point we should be worrying about the fact that we might just have criminal minds by default even if put in land of milk and honey!

Always read through threads completely before posting ok?We(apart from Sauron the British citizen)generally disagree with the prison idea,what was posted was that if UK has spare money to spend they should build schools,hospitals etc instead . The summary of Nigerians on ground in Nigeria is that they should assist with the larger problems of corruption and that will have a direct effect on their(UK) social problems rather than attacking the symptoms. We generally need more prisons in Nigeria however !
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by sunjongs(m): 5:19pm On Jul 10, 2009
This looks like an insult to our personality. Our colonial masters want come back them no see better thjings to push to naija na prison them want build for us i beg T.B Joshua must hear this.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by shawn123: 5:22pm On Jul 10, 2009
@congoshine
I read through the thread from page 1 and am not even sure i was reply to any of your suggestions, like i read through the pages i would suggest you read my response again.
I [b]support
the idea of building a prison in Naija.
I do not think at this point the British owe us anything. All am asking is if they are considering building a prison in Nigeria then it simply means there are sooooo many Nigerian prisoner in England (False assylum seekers, fraudstars aka yahoo yahoo boys, rapists, killers, armed robbers). Critically looking at this : it just means the British arent the problem, we Nigerians are the problems!
If you were British am sure you would not want the so called criminals in your country! I dont blame them at all, its their country and they have the right to protect it, if we had soo many lebanese in our prisons today am damn sure you all would agree to building prisons in lebanon and sending them right back to their country. Like they say one bad egg spoils the rest![/b]
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 10, 2009
Congoshine

You ae missing the point of the prison scheme. It is to decongest British prisons , not to solve Nigeria's self - inflicted socio-economic problems.

The reason why these people cannot be deported immediately is because of the deplorable state of Nigerian prisons
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Sauron1: 5:35pm On Jul 10, 2009
congoshine:

Always read through threads completely before posting ok?We(apart from Sauron the British citizen)generally disagree with the prison idea,what was posted was that if UK has spare money to spend they should build schools,hospitals etc instead . The summary of Nigerians on ground in Nigeria is that they should assist with the larger problems of corruption and that will have a direct effect on their(UK) social problems rather than attacking the symptoms. We generally need more prisons in Nigeria however !

The Brits are saving money for themselves not for Nigeria.

It costs more than 36,000 pounds to keep a lag in Prison per annum.
Multiply that by the thousands of Nigerians in UK Prisons plus the fact that many of them are overstaying because they refused to go back to Naija.
If they build a prison in Naija, the cost of keeping Nigerians in UK prisons would be non-existent. Do u understand their theory now?
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by congoshine(m): 5:50pm On Jul 10, 2009
tensor777:

Congoshine

You ae missing the point of the prison scheme. It is to decongest British prisons , not to solve Nigeria's self - inflicted socio-economic problems.

The reason why these people cannot be deported immediately is because of the deplorable state of Nigerian prisons

I know that !!
The social problems in the UK -Nigerain illegals etc have roots in lack of opportunity back home & that has root in corruption,which is aided(deliberately or negligiently) by the UK . QED
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by honeric01(m): 7:36pm On Jul 10, 2009
OH GOD ALMIGHTY, IT SEEM THERE'S NO HOPE FOR THIS COUNTRY AGAIN, I AM TRYING NOT TO THINK THAT WAY,

THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT SAID THEY HAVE ABOUT 800 NIGERIAN PRISONERS, NOW SOME WICKED, DEMONIC, SATANIC, BAD LUCK, CONDEMNED SO CALLED NIGERIANS ON THIS FORUM HAVE INCREASED IT TO THOUSANDS OF NIGERIAN PRISONERS JUST TO MAKE IT SOUND LIKE ALL NIGERIANS CAN DO IS TO COMMIT CRIME.

God, please help the innocent people from Nigeria who still want this country to be better by not allowing the negative ones to wake up from their sleep this night. If you know all that you've been saying about Nigeria is negative things and you have only been known to navigate negative things about Nigeria, DO NOT SLEEP TONIGHT HENCE YOU WON'T WAKE UP TOMORROW, I MEAN IT, DON'T JOKE WITH THIS.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by shawn123: 7:42pm On Jul 10, 2009
congoshine:

I know that !!
The social problems in the UK -Nigerain illegals etc have roots in lack of opportunity back home & that has root in corruption,which is aided(deliberately or negligiently) by the UK . QED
honeric01:

OH GOD ALMIGHTY, IT SEEM THERE'S NO HOPE FOR THIS COUNTRY AGAIN, I AM TRYING NOT TO THINK THAT WAY,

THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT SAID THEY HAVE ABOUT 800 NIGERIAN PRISONERS, NOW SOME WICKED, DEMONIC, SATANIC, BAD LUCK, CONDEMNED SO CALLED NIGERIANS ON THIS FORUM HAVE INCREASED IT TO THOUSANDS OF NIGERIAN PRISONERS JUST TO MAKE IT SOUND LIKE ALL NIGERIANS CAN DO IS TO COMMIT CRIME.

God, please help the innocent people from Nigeria who still want this country to be better by not allowing the negative ones to wake up from their sleep this night. If you know all that you've been saying about Nigeria is negative things and you have only been known to navigate negative things about Nigeria, DO NOT SLEEP TONIGHT HENCE YOU WON'T WAKE UP TOMORROW, I MEAN IT, DON'T JOKE WITH THIS.

Lol, when a Nigerian thinks and talks like this i wonder where we are going to ? The case of a blind driver driving blind passengers!
This person says in quote 'DO NOT SLEEP TONIGHT HENCE YOU WONT WAKE UP TOMORROW' and you condemn negativity. Isnt that a negative statement, undecided Practice what u preach mr
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by wirinet(m): 7:54pm On Jul 10, 2009
shawn123:

@congoshine
I read through the thread from page 1 and am not even sure i was reply to any of your suggestions, like i read through the pages i would suggest you read my response again.
I [b]support
the idea of building a prison in Naija.
I do not think at this point the British owe us anything. All am asking is if they are considering building a prison in Nigeria then it simply means there are sooooo many Nigerian prisoner in England (False assylum seekers, fraudstars aka yahoo yahoo boys, rapists, killers, armed robbers). Critically looking at this : it just means the British arent the problem, we Nigerians are the problems!
If you were British am sure you would not want the so called criminals in your country! I dont blame them at all, its their country and they have the right to protect it, if we had soo many lebanese in our prisons today am damn sure you all would agree to building prisons in lebanon and sending them right back to their country. Like they say one bad egg spoils the rest![/b]

Shawn, your name sounds Scottish, Any way why are you unduly sensationalizing the issue. Nigerians are rarely involved in raping, homicide and armed robbery especially outside Nigeria. All they are after is pounds, dollars or foreign currencies. So they engage mainly in financial crimes and forgery of papers to allow them stay and work in the countries they illegally immigrate to.

If you carry out a statistics of convicted Nigerian criminals, you will find over 95% of them are financial related or immigration crimes and rarely violent crimes.

So do not give a dog an evil name in order to send it to hell.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by shawn123: 8:16pm On Jul 10, 2009
@wirinet
your name sounds NIGERIAN, lol
I guess financial related crime isnt a big deal to you right? Financial related crimes is responsible for the mess we have found ourselves in today. If it werent for financial related crimes, we wouldnt have so many Nigerians moving to the U.K.
Am truely Nigerian thats what gets me upset about this, cos alot of Nigerians have given us the bad names and the treatment we get when we travel out. Our pride and denial cannot solve the problem. I guess a bad road can be fixed if only the passers agree that it is bad, if we dont agree that we ve got a problem i guess we would live like this forever. All am doing is admitting that we have got issues not only leadership but as individuals. Have you ever asked yourself this questions;
1) Wont our streets be clean if we dont throw trash from moving vehicles (Pure water bags, banana peels, oranges, icecream bags etc)
2) If everybody cleaned their gate entrances, wouldnt our streets be clean
3) Why do we always jump queus, be it fuel scarcity, hold ups, or queues in banks?
4) How many paid NEPA/PHCN bills even when we had electricity?
It goes on and on,
We would rather point fingers than check ourselves,
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by honeric01(m): 8:19pm On Jul 10, 2009
@shawn123
Say whatever you like, it still won't change the fact that those people who're prone to bashing and dissing anything Nigeria, those that even add more negativities to every bad news they hear about Nigeria are our enemies. I still repeat, why would some people say we have thousands of nigerian prisoners in uk when the uk government itself said they have an average of 800 nigerian prisoners in the UK? is that not to further tarnish our image as a Nigerian? These people are not our friends and they don't mean well for us so I will repeat again; THEY WON'T SEE TOMORROW IF ALL THEY KNOW HOW TO DO IS BASH AND DOWNGRADE NIGERIANS AND NIGERIA.
Once more, if you are one of these people, repent now or it's going to happen to you. No apology because both those the wicked politicians looting our money and those badmouthing our country are in the same boat of pulling down NIGERIA.
It's better to use one negative word to destroy those killing the country than allowing the whole citizens suffer for the sins of a few backstabbers
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by honeric01(m): 8:31pm On Jul 10, 2009
No one's saying the 800 prisoners should be freed, instead I even want all of them to be sent to kirikiri right from the airport according to their crimes but when people try to pump up the negative aspects of it, then there's purely not positive intentions there. Most of Nigerian problems are known ones but what I have seen on this site is repetitions of the problems and even the fueling of the problems, most of these people never suggest solutions and when others try to talk about solutions, they badmouth and kill the suggestions. WHAT DOES THESE SETS OF PEOPLE REALLY WANT NIGERIA TO BECOME WITH THE NEGATIVE coMMENTS, I think they want NIGERIA isolated from the rest of the world before they rest. Don't worry, the ones that will survive tonight is going to be hit by a car once he or she returns back to Nigeria in this glory days
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by adabeke2(f): 9:27pm On Jul 10, 2009
really unessesary
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Chiddysville(m): 9:50pm On Jul 10, 2009
I think the British is only reaping what they sowed and this is a clear case of the sins of the father being visited on the children. The British almagamated the Northern and Southern Nigeria for their own selfish gain. They covertly supported bad leadership for their selfish gain and this gave birth to corruption.
Corruption led to unemployment and lack of basic amenities of life. This led to massive emigration and crimes.
So they should stop supporting evil and it shall be well with them.
Secondly, on the issue of building prison here in Nigeria, i think it is an insult. The crimes where never committed in Nigeria in the first place. Why are they not talking of building a first class hospital and sending back our doctors and nurses residing in the UK or betterstill, build a world class power generating company and send back our engineers in their country to manage it. The British should stop supporting the evil leadership in Nigeria and our people will stop emigrating to their country. This is simply a food for thought.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Chiddysville(m): 9:51pm On Jul 10, 2009
I think the British is only reaping what they sowed and this is a clear case of the sins of the father being visited on the children. The British almagamated the Northern and Southern Nigeria for their own selfish gain. They covertly supported bad leadership for their selfish gain and this gave birth to corruption.
Corruption led to unemployment and lack of basic amenities of life. This led to massive emigration and crimes.
Secondly, on the issue of building prison here in Nigeria, i think it is an insult. The crimes where never committed in Nigeria in the first place. Why are they not talking of building a first class hospital and sending back our doctors and nurses residing in the UK or betterstill, build a world class power generating company and send back our engineers in their country to manage it. The British should stop supporting the evil leadership in Nigeria and our people will stop emigrating to their country. This is simply a food for thought.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Chiddysville(m): 9:52pm On Jul 10, 2009
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by congoshine(m): 10:11pm On Jul 10, 2009
ada_beke:

really unessesary
unnecessary
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by nex(m): 10:19pm On Jul 10, 2009
In other words, that is to say the UK wants to build its own Guantanamo Bay in Nigeria. God Punish Queen Lizzy and that clueless brown imp of a prime minister.  Today they will send down our Nigerian citizens, tomorrow they will say afterall, it is their prison, they will ship in 2,000 Al Qaeda suspects. Sopona strike all Brutish people with instant repercussions.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by foni2k4(m): 10:29pm On Jul 10, 2009
Ohhhh! How i wish Baba Fela was still alive hear this.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by papaejima: 10:36pm On Jul 10, 2009
thank u nex,that is the type of sound that i want to hear.not pple who wants to advertise themselves to the british thinking that they will be friends of the british at our national detriment. in as much as am not encouraging crime in any ramification,i still want to ask where have anyone heard of a lorry -load of crap like this before? let them take their prison and their supporters on this forum and shove it up where the sun doesnt shine. i support the deportation of illegals (if that is what they intend doing), bt sending pple they convicted of crimes in their countries to come and do their time here,we say no freaking way. if the prisons are congested in britain,let them build new ones there. or have they ran out of lands? if they have done this with any other country,we would have understood,bt starting with nigeria is a BIG SLAP ACROSS OUR FACE,and we shouldnt allow that.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by lastpage: 10:41pm On Jul 10, 2009
@Sauron
The Brits are saving money for themselves not for Nigeria.

It costs more than 36,000 pounds to keep a lag in Prison per annum.
Multiply that by the thousands of Nigerians in UK Prisons plus the fact that many of them are overstaying because they refused to go back to Naija.
If they build a prison in Naija, the cost of keeping Nigerians in UK prisons would be non-existent. Do u understand their theory now?

Now you can see where some of these "commentators" are coming from?
Either you're not a Nigerian, in which case You're an impostor or

Its a classic case of the "bastard child that points its father's house with his left hand" (Nigerian Proverb)

Either way, it sucks!

"A great Civilization (Nigerian people) is never conquered from outside except it first destroys itself from within"!
We need to weed out some subversive elements amongst us. The Brits call them TRAITORS!

Just like the Brits are afraid of a resurgent Russia, they are afraid of a corruption-free Nigeria!, and will do anything to stop it.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/blog/talking_politics/article/47556/

That has been their tactics from day one, "divide and rule", using some "sell-out"/traitors amongst us.

On the other hand, its time we Nigerians realize that we are fighting not just against our corrupt leaders, we also need to fight against their foreign backers, those who benefit form their corruption after-all, where do they keep the stolen/looted treasury if not in British banks, to develop British economy!

"Sauron" even said that the 5million naira required in Visa applicant's account was necessary just to ensure the applicant can cater for themselves in Britain, fair enough.
But if Britain is so interested in applicants bank-balance, to issue Visa, they are also morally obligated to ensure that such money (as displayed by our looting politicians), are not proceeds of crime (like looted treasury, failed contract, e.t.c)! Where have they done this? No where.

As far as they are concerned, its just a question of "Show me the Money"!

Shows what a selfish and self-centered state we are discussing here!

If they join us in ensuring that the thieves among our rulers loose their stolen funds and their family are not provided a safe haven, for the day nemesis would catch-up with them, then, and only then can they "preach to us", after-all, Kettle can not accuse the Pot of being Black!

Lastpage
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by nex(m): 10:45pm On Jul 10, 2009
I'm beginning to believe they take mathematics in the UK as a foreign subject. If it cost them 36,000 Pound Sterling annually to cater for one prisoner in the UK, why don't they realise that even if they bring the prisoners down to Nigeria, 1 million pounds will only mainain 1 prisoner for 28 days or 28 prisoners on the day of their arrival only.

i don tell una say Iyoba of England don Kolo. Make them first ask dem Obafemi Martins how much to use build house before dem carry 1 million pounds come use build prison. Na N200 million UNIBEN take build maingate. Na N200 million Peter Obi use build house for Lekki. It is clear that the prison they plan to build and maitain with that 1 million pounds will be a hundred times worse than Kirirkiri, Guantanamo and Al Catraz put together. Morons.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by honeric01(m): 11:28pm On Jul 10, 2009
lastpage:

@Sauron
Now you can see where some of these "commentators" are coming from?
Either you're not a Nigerian, in which case You're an impostor or

Its a classic case of the "bastard child that points its father's house with his left hand" (Nigerian Proverb)

Either way, it sucks!

"A great Civilization (Nigerian people) is never conquered from outside except it first destroys itself from within"!
We need to weed out some subversive elements amongst us. The Brits call them TRAITORS!

Just like the Brits are afraid of a resurgent Russia, they are afraid of a corruption-free Nigeria!, and will do anything to stop it.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/blog/talking_politics/article/47556/

That has been their tactics from day one, "divide and rule", using some "sell-out"/traitors amongst us.

On the other hand, its time we Nigerians realize that we are fighting not just against our corrupt leaders, we also need to fight against their foreign backers, those who benefit form their corruption after-all, where do they keep the stolen/looted treasury if not in British banks, to develop British economy!

"Sauron" even said that the 5million naira required in Visa applicant's account was necessary just to ensure the applicant can cater for themselves in Britain, fair enough.
But if Britain is so interested in applicants bank-balance, to issue Visa, they are also morally obligated to ensure that such money (as displayed by our looting politicians), are not proceeds of crime (like looted treasury, failed contract, e.t.c)! Where have they done this? No where.

As far as they are concerned, its just a question of "Show me the Money"!

Shows what a selfish and self-centered state we are discussing here!

If they join us in ensuring that the thieves among our rulers loose their stolen funds and their family are not provided a safe haven, for the day nemesis would catch-up with them, then, and only then can they "preach to us", after-all, Kettle can not accuse the Pot of being Black!

Lastpage

Bros, thanks for pointing out one of the enemies of progress in Nigeria who would only rejoice when Nigeria is sinking. who knows, maybe they earn a living doing that

nex:

I'm beginning to believe they take mathematics in the UK as a foreign subject. If it cost them 36,000 Pound Sterling annually to cater for one prisoner in the UK, why don't they realise that even if they bring the prisoners down to Nigeria, 1 million pounds will only mainain 1 prisoner for 28 days or 28 prisoners on the day of their arrival only.

i don tell una say Iyoba of England don Kolo. Make them first ask dem Obafemi Martins how much to use build house before dem carry 1 million pounds come use build prison. Na N200 million UNIBEN take build maingate. Na N200 million Peter Obi use build house for Lekki. It is clear that the prison they plan to build and maitain with that 1 million pounds will be a hundred times worse than Kirirkiri, Guantanamo and Al Catraz put together. Morons.

Imagine britain complaining of not being able to house 800 illegal prisoners to show how stingy they are, they also want to come build a prison to house 400 prisoners for maybe 5-10 years with just #300m here for Naija, they have vast land, let them try using that money to build one there,

if they want to deal with illegal immigrants, it should stop from the airports, you cannot trek from Nigeria into Britain so how did all these illegal immigrant get there in the first place? were they sleeping? and for those who outstayed their visa, what's their government doing by not sending them back home as soon as they are caught with what they must have earned genuinely (if truly they want to help).

and for those who committed crime, they should serve up their sentences there, then you can send them back here if you wish.

anyone who raped, killed or murdered anyone should also serve overthere.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by lastpage: 11:29pm On Jul 10, 2009
Nex, l weak o!
I understand that the "average annual salary" in U.K is just about 25,000GBP!
, or Do "U.K. prisoners" go on summer Holidays to Hawaai?

I guess very soon, some Nigerian will request for "application form" to become "U.K. Prisoner"   @36K pounds/year! shocked

Or do U.K folks embezzle part of that money?
Knowing where our politicians get their hints from and the recent "M.P.'s scandal" is a pointer to the fact corruption is not a Nigerian phenomenon! grin

Let them build more prisons for their "thieving M.P.'s" first, before shipping any criminal to Nigeria tongue tongue tongue

Lastpage
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by honeric01(m): 11:52pm On Jul 10, 2009
Lastpage
wait until some people in here with "white"brain tell you whites are not corrupt and that its only Africans that are corrupt.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by amarilo: 11:56pm On Jul 10, 2009
Sometimes i wonder how that £30k is spent on one inmate every year. Is it on Food(Yorkshire pudding), cloths or what. Somebody should explain to me pls.
Is is not foolishness if they spend such on a prisoner when 70% of the work force don't even earn such amount in a year.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by lastpage: 4:36am On Jul 11, 2009
honeric01,
"Madoff" and Ponzi-king "Stanford" dont sound like African names! yet they get golden boot for corruption in 2009! grin
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by sley4life(m): 10:00am On Jul 11, 2009
UK gov are craxxy. They feel they can manipulate us. They should power their wealth somewhere else
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by walakolobo: 12:24pm On Jul 11, 2009
When they come back home re patriated and sent to jail, they will realise it could have been better to stay at home in the first instance.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by papaejima: 1:07pm On Jul 11, 2009
my pple,i hear una all.we are tired of black pple with white brains. what are they thinking about really,that upon defending her majesty`s sagging honour,they will be recognized by the britico govt? mistake on their parts. these jelly-brained bastards have simply taken everything the white man told them about africa and nigeria and turn them into #1 hit songs. lets look at britain for example.britain is the most corrupt in western europe,they are always into one scandal or the other.now if the MPs are stealing from the government that has no mineral resourses,what do u think that they will do if they were to be nigerians? and dont forget that they taught us that aspect of life - CORRUPTION. what type of crimes are nigerian involved in anyway? taking afew thousands dollars and pounds off pple here and there,and commiting suicide by swallowing a few kilos of hard drugs (not that am supporting crimes),bt the pple who lift major weights are not nigerians, and they happily live amongst the pple. nigerians are not serial killers or rapists,not killers and really not violent criminals outside the shores of nigeria. Britain is reaping what they sow in nigeria because it is the british who are the architect of our problems today.from divide and rule to leaving no infrastrucure on the ground in nigeria as they were leaving.typical british wickedness. all the british colonies suffer the same faith.out of 5 british colonized countries in west africa,3 has fought civil war. for those who are ignorant of the fact,i want u to take a trip to Dakar in senegal and see how france left it.go to Abidjan ([le petit paris) and see what the french left there. they also left them with adequate security arrangements. pple,if u dont know anything about anything,u better keep ur yap shut cos those bastards that wants to defend britain building prison in nigeria are getting on my nerves. pple are saying that nigerians are fraudsters,bt the last time i checked,MADOFF and STANFORD are not carrying nigerian passports.and the magnitude of their frauds are ones that a nigerian will think a million times over before getting into.i have asked, where on planet earth has this happened before,building a prison in nigeria to house pple convicted in britain? absolute rubbish
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by adigun101: 4:30pm On Jul 11, 2009
Salihu Aliyu Nigeria's Director of Public Prosecution agrees. Case closed! He represents all Nigerians.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8142925.stm
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by DisGuy: 7:10pm On Jul 11, 2009
Nigeria's government says it is happy with a UK plan to help refurbish their prisons to allow Nigerians in Britain's jails to be sent back home.

A British official said investment was needed because conditions in Nigerian jails were too poor for UK prisoners.

Correspondents say such conditions would allow prisoners to block their transfer on human-rights grounds.

There are about 11,000 foreigners in British jails, including more than 800 from Nigeria.

Analysts say Nigeria's jails are seriously congested and often damage the health of prisoners.

The possibility of help from Britain was welcomed by rights groups, but they said it marked the failure of the Nigerian government to look after its own prisons.

Nigeria's Director of Public Prosecution Salihu Aliyu said it was a "positive move".

"It should be encouraged not only between Nigeria and UK but with other countries," he told the BBC.

A statement from the UK's Ministry of Justice said the deal being negotiated would allow Nigerians imprisoned in the UK and Britons imprisoned in Nigeria to serve their sentences in their own countries.

"We believe that prisoners should normally serve their sentences in their own country - freeing up prison spaces and saving the taxpayer money on enforced removals," the statement said.

The proposed deal would allow Nigerian convicts to be sent home even without their consent.

this thing has been in the pipeline for ages, the foreign minister keeps 'something' in return to accepting them back, now here it is

plus we should be happy they are not acting like the Libyans who dumped hundreds of illegal immigrants in Senegal or some other west african country irrespective of where they are from originally

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian States And Zones Ranked By Igr / Oba Of Lagos Lock Up Idumota Traders Shop,orders Them 2Go To Ambode's Rally-pics / Atiku Abubakar Welcomes A New Grandchild

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.