Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola (11655 Views)

Afe Babalola University Completes 400 Bed Teaching Hospital(photo) / Afe Babalola University, Ado-ekiti Teaching Hospital (ABUADTH) In Pictures / Afe Babalola University In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by LogoDWhiz(m): 10:23am On Feb 18, 2016
The authorities of the Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti have debunked claims by a parent that a cult group recruited from a polytechnic by a sister-in-law to the ABUAD Founder and Chancellor, Chief Afe Babalola (SAN), carried out the February 7 riot in the institution.

The authorities said the claim by the parent was “false, malicious, deliberate and intended to damage the world reputation the university has built in its six years of existence.”

In a statement made available to The PUNCH, the legal luminary expressed surprise at the claims despite its earlier information made available on the riot.

He said, “The information supplied by the parent ran contrary to the position of the university as well as that of the parents that the February 7, 2016 riot by about 200 students out of a population of over 6,000 students was caused and orchestrated by students with poor academic performance.

“It is apposite to say that the university has a name and reputation which it has built over the years to protect and we will not allow anyone, under whatever guise ,to tarnish that name and reputation, both of which are so dear to us and millions of our admirers nationally and internationally.”

Babalola added that the unnamed parent’s claim was “full of lies and blatant falsehood.”

He argued that if the parent had his fact, he should name “my so-called sister-in-law,” adding that he did not have any destructive relation.

He argued that if the attackers were to be from another institution some of them would have been among the 200 students arrested by the police.

The Head, Corporate Affairs, Tunde Olofintila, told our correspondent that “all the students arrested were from the university.”

He added that there was no foreign student among them.

Meanwhile, a Chief Magistrate’s Court in Ado Ekiti on Wednesday adjourned hearing in the criminal case filed by the police against 31 students of the university till Friday (tomorrow).

The Chief Magistrate, Adesoji Adegboye, adjourned the matter following a request by the police prosecutor, Caleb Leramo, for the advice from the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

He moved the application after the court resumed from a short stand down while waiting for the legal advice.

He said, “There is no legal advice yet. I will therefore request for a short adjournment, hoping the advice would have arrived by then.”

Earlier, the defence lawyer, Mrs. Oluwatoyin Abegunde, had requested for a short stand down of the matter.

She said, “The court can’t work at their pace, whatever they want to do, they better hurry up.”

Leramo hinted that there were peace moves between the parents and the authorities of ABUAD.

In a related development, the Parents/Teachers’ Consultative Forum of ABUAD has commended Babalola and the authorities of ABUAD for not closing down the institution following last week Sunday riot.

Speaking during a meeting with the management of the university in Ado Ekiti on Wednesday, the PTCF’s Vice-President, Prof. Olusegun Oladimeji, argued that closing down the university after the riot would have led to a disruption in the university’s academic calendar.

Oladimeji added that it was the unwarranted closure of many public universities that caused what ABUAD went through last Sunday because many students had spent between seven and eight years to run a four-year programme.

He urged other institutions of higher education to take a cue from Babalola’s “uncommon maturity and understanding” by not closing down their institutions at the slightest provocation.

Earlier, Babalola had told Oladimeji that he had made up his mind not to impose financial sanctions on all the students, thereby unjustifiably making the innocent to pay for the sin of the guilty.

“I have made up my mind not to impose financial sanctions on all the students as it is the practice in some other institutions where issues like this had taken place in the past.

“It has to be appreciated that those behind the Sunday night disturbances were less than 200 out of a total student population of well over 6,000. It will therefore be unfair, unjust and inequitable for me and/or the university authorities to ask every student to pay for the sin and misconduct of just a few of them.

“If I do it, God will punish me. But I know for sure that the Almighty God that provided the resources for me to establish the university is still very much on the throne. He will provide the money to replace and/or repair the facilities the rampaging students damaged.

“I established this university for a purpose: to make a difference, to show how a university should be run and to make the students better than I am. But what a negligible few of the students have done will not and cannot shift over focus, neither will it discourage us. We have put our hands on the plough of quality and functional education, we will not look back.”

http://www.punchng.com/students-not-my-in-law-attacked-abuad-babalola/

Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by LogoDWhiz(m): 12:57pm On Feb 18, 2016
cc: lalasticlala Mynd44 Dominique
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by tosyne2much(m): 12:34am On Feb 19, 2016
Abi Afe Babalola wan lie say na my school cultists him students hire to commit the atrocities ? Bullsheeeet !!!

Lalasticlala, food don come ooooo cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by LogoDWhiz(m): 1:08am On Feb 19, 2016
tosyne2much:
Abi dem wan lie say na my school cultists dem hire to commit the atrocities ? Bullsheeeet !!!

Lol!

Well, I'd say they are just spoilt kids
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by hakeem4(m): 9:50am On Feb 19, 2016
Who is deceiving who ?
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by brainbox1000(m): 9:50am On Feb 19, 2016
I will be right back
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by abdelmaleeq(m): 9:50am On Feb 19, 2016
Wat do u xpect from spoilt kids
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by datola: 9:50am On Feb 19, 2016
All these corrupt senior lairs (lawyers)!
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by McMayowa(m): 9:50am On Feb 19, 2016
Really
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by hotswagg12: 9:50am On Feb 19, 2016
They should settle out of court.
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by Mutaino7(m): 9:52am On Feb 19, 2016
*Brings in pillow and mat* Make i rest small
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by Kangol99(m): 9:54am On Feb 19, 2016
k
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by Miracle4Sure: 9:54am On Feb 19, 2016
SMH
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by donlarbito(m): 9:54am On Feb 19, 2016
Na who come be the doer?
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by hottathanfire(m): 9:55am On Feb 19, 2016
Hmmm, someone is definitely lying... God punish the devil grin
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by condralbede(m): 9:55am On Feb 19, 2016
Ok
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by femimike1(m): 10:03am On Feb 19, 2016
They should be dealt with..

In order news, check my profile for Quality men's loafers
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by MemphisDepay(m): 10:07am On Feb 19, 2016
Who is Afe Babalola? We talking LVG, u talking Nonsense
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by OLUJOSHINS(m): 10:23am On Feb 19, 2016
these undergraduates sha
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by Nobody: 10:24am On Feb 19, 2016
hmmmmmmm
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by Babajide1990: 10:33am On Feb 19, 2016
Story

Check my signature......it's real
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by Talk2bryant(m): 10:36am On Feb 19, 2016
tosyne2much:
Abi Afe Babalola wan lie say na my school cultists him students hire to commit the atrocities ? Bullsheeeet !!!

I'm sure you only read the headlines...no external student was involved in the crisis
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by fistonati(m): 11:08am On Feb 19, 2016
fAMILY MATTER,

For all i know is someone is lying
Either the parents of the Founder
No smoke without fire
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by Nobody: 11:12am On Feb 19, 2016
All these upgraded secondary schools and their Palava.
Imagine the way this chief just hounded those kids to prison with handcuffs, just because of riot.
This is the height of oppression.
I pity those kids who would not sit down, read, pass JAMB ( abi na UTME) and enter correct university, instead of all these exorbitant glorified secondary schools.
ABUAD my foot!

2 Likes

Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by Nobody: 11:15am On Feb 19, 2016
Yes o
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by Nobody: 11:27am On Feb 19, 2016
okay
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by jekwuojoto(m): 11:33am On Feb 19, 2016
Kk
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by Akynzodeighbour(m): 12:01pm On Feb 19, 2016
ajebota problem
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by praise007: 12:19pm On Feb 19, 2016
hotswagg12:
They should settle out of court.

because prominent pikin dey among and dia fada self dey throw chair for National assembly self . chai diaris God oooo
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by LogoDWhiz(m): 12:21pm On Feb 19, 2016
Silvofitz:
All these upgraded secondary schools and their Palava.
Imagine the way this chief just hounded those kids to prison with handcuffs, just because of riot.
This is the height of oppression.
I pity those kids who would not sit down, read, pass JAMB ( abi na UTME) and enter correct university, instead of all these exorbitant glorified secondary schools.
ABUAD my foot!

Not only riot but robbery and vandalism of properties
Re: Students, Not My In-law Attacked ABUAD – Afe Babalola by Nobody: 12:40pm On Feb 19, 2016
LogoDWhiz:

Not only riot but robbery and vandalism of properties
That's what they made people believe.
When Chief Afe was the Pro Chancellor of the University of Lagos, there were more grievous protests. And nobody was sent to prison cheaply like that. In real Universities, not these make-believe-institutions, there are laid down principles of addressing issues. There's suspension, rustication, expulsion, and all that.
Protest is not new in the higher institutions. The fact that the Principal, nay the proprietor, of the institution is a lawyer, doesn't mean he can treat people anyhow.
Like I said, ABUAD my foot!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

ASUU Restates Commitment To 2019 Memorandum Of Action With FG / Should I Stop Helping My Fellow Students? / List Of Courses You Can Study With D7/E8/F9 In Physics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.