Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,595 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar - Business (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar (37460 Views)

Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 / Naira Falls Against US Dollar / Naira Falls To 325 On Dollar Shortage -punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by Chukzyfcb(m): 5:14pm On Feb 18, 2016
Rayhut:

What you are saying about dorm acct is true, but nobody now living abroad is sending money home through western union or moneygram,the person will lose alot,black market agent is everywhere now in developed countries like uk,us,canada,germany etc we send our money through them and off course they have to gain something,now that pound is 500,with a good bargain in london they can sell naira at least 470
Even in nigeria, we have these agents too. You know with all the yeye restrictions, you might not be able to travel with above $10,000 even if you declare it @ the airport. This is where they come to play. They are like the "secret money launderer" lol but they'll charge u.
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by Chukzyfcb(m): 5:16pm On Feb 18, 2016
erico2k2:

That was a trick announcement the other week telling us to put forex in Dom account .I know they will turn arround and say it's now going to be paid in local currency at official rate.
That's the thievery now in bank sector, you deposit dollar into your dom account @ 197 but when you decide to use your atm card abroad or for any foreign transaction online, the bank will charge you 300 and above. And yet we blame the BDC whereas the banks are following in their footsteps.
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by 14(m): 5:18pm On Feb 18, 2016
erico2k2:

This is the problem with you lots in ask b4 castigating
I sent £1k this morning from London to mu first bank account in Nigeria I got alert of N450. The BDC ha e agents here who wire money on the high streets here in the UK. We feed them and they in turn get hard currency to sell in Nigeria. This is how it now works. The Banks will never ever have dollars to sell at that rate.

That means nigeria currency is becoming worthless.These happens when the economic activities diminishes and your currency is not in par with other countries, nigeria is not an island afterall. The best way is to leave your currency float, it will find its value without the government and CBN intervation.

what is currently happening, stagnating the economy. If i am an investor sitting in London and i wanna invest $500m in agriculture. when i transfer the money to nigeria, i get N100bn rather than N200bn. which means i loose N100bn, because Naira is not set at its true value.

For an example, lets assume i put $500m in nigeria today, and get N100bn in nigeria, after 3 months, CBN decide to devalue the currency to N400 to a dollar, after that i decide to take my money i invested back to london at N400 to $1. Back in london, i get $250m. that means i lost $250m in a space of 6 months. This is the reason that will crash nigeria economy, no investors will throw in money into a river.

Ask zimbabwe and Venezuela, they know it well.

1 Like

Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by Tjayjosh(m): 5:21pm On Feb 18, 2016
LordAdam:
@OP, be accurate. The parallel exchange rate is currently N385/$1.

Check out https://www.naij.com/734705-naira-depreciates-drastically-black-market-see-new-rate.html

Exchange rate will hit 400 Naira by end of this week. Pounds is already at N505.

-Lord
Bro please i need data on the exchange rate. From october 2015 to the present. How can i go about it please?
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by scachy(m): 5:24pm On Feb 18, 2016
MissingBudget:

Even in the well.
Na so grin
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by Nobody: 5:35pm On Feb 18, 2016
Fulaboy:
Nipa na pasa boko bro cry zan biyoma kawai mu koma gida
hahaha mutumina

just have hope. it will be over soon insha Allah.. amma abun ba dadi fa
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by bezimo(m): 5:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
All these folks that are celebrating the fall of Naira.I hope you dont plan to travel out of Naija for anything because then you would know how far.

1 Like

Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by Fulaboy(m): 6:10pm On Feb 18, 2016
MuhdG:

hahaha mutumina

just have hope. it will be over soon insha Allah.. amma abun ba dadi fa
Naga kaman abun yana pama ya gagari talaka ne tou! 400 no be beans pa
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by oyinkinola: 6:10pm On Feb 18, 2016
erico2k2:

Guy no vex oh.that's minus 25 years thinking.
any opinion on it.
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by erico2k2(m): 6:11pm On Feb 18, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

Oh,k.....well seeing that CBN has banned dollar for students abroad. I feel they might start selling to them abroad while their parents pay the naira equivalent into their bank accouts In nigeria. And yes about your previous comment, they'll obviously make profit of 50 or 40naira. Its a risk you know. My uncle lost few pounds thru these e-agents. He sent pounds in Nigeria and he receved stories that the money and that of other ccustomers was seized at the airport with these agents.....Its a Risk tho! But its a risk worth taking, rather than play to the gallery of the CBN
Nah these one here are ok.nothing like transferring physical cash.it's all do e electronically they give you co formation of payment and it's done instantly. As they have accounts with all Banks in Nigeria.
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by erico2k2(m): 6:13pm On Feb 18, 2016
oyinkinola:

any opinion on it.
Cos the problem we are facing now has nothing g to do with stollen funds. I got to do with a new wave of global melt down. China 's economy shrinked by %3 just now.
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by erico2k2(m): 6:14pm On Feb 18, 2016
bezimo:
All these folks that are celebrating the fall of Naira.I hope you dont plan to travel out of Naija for anything because then you would know how far.
True talk.
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by oyinkinola: 6:19pm On Feb 18, 2016
erico2k2:

Cos the problem we are facing now has nothing g to do with stollen funds. I got to do with a new wave of global melt down. China 's economy shrinked by %3 just now.
...you don't think having that money back can improve our economy?
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by ceaser: 6:20pm On Feb 18, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

The same Gtb I bank with and sent money to my bro-in-law this week too?
Adonbilivit... what kind of transaction did he perform exactly?

Up till yesterday, GTB charged me 284 to the dollar.
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by erico2k2(m): 6:22pm On Feb 18, 2016
14:

That means nigeria currency is becoming worthless.These happens when the economic activities diminishes and your currency is not in par with other countries, nigeria is not an island afterall. The best way is to leave your currency float, it will find its value without the government and CBN intervation.

what is currently happening, stagnating the economy. If i am an investor sitting in London and i wanna invest $500m in agriculture. when i transfer the money to nigeria, i get N100bn rather than N200bn. which means i loose N100bn, because Naira is not set at its true value.

For an example, lets assume i put $500m in nigeria today, and get N100bn in nigeria, after 3 months, CBN decide to devalue the currency to N400 to a dollar, after that i decide to take my money i invested back to london at N400 to $1. Back in london, i get $250m. that means i lost $250m in a space of 6 months. This is the reason that will crash nigeria economy, no investors will throw in money into a river.

Bro o your head dey there abeg drink one crate of Origin on my account I dey come lol
What yoy just described is what those Economist call Speculation. It is killing us.Devaluing the Naira earlier would have addressed this issue.I think it's now 2 late to even think of devaluation. We need to build confidece back I to the system. This can only be achieved with strong and robust economic policies. We need a world bank peronal to be in charge someone who can instigate savings.cut cost.stop waste get. Scrap some ministries. Merge some etc.Invest in power.and solid minerals up North. Encourage exports by means of various tax breaks. These are the kind of stimulating policies we want not these draconian ones we are seeing.
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by AmeLonRo(m): 6:23pm On Feb 18, 2016
I feel an investor will gain as s/he will transfer funds in USD or GBP to account in Nigeria. Withdrawal and payment for services can be done in USD or GBP too. So investors will be few bucks and convert it to giant naira.

14:

Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by erico2k2(m): 6:25pm On Feb 18, 2016
oyinkinola:

...you don't think having that money back can improve our economy?
NOP.how much is it?do yoy realy believe these thieves called politicians? Have you seen any money returned or seized? From where are we going to get the so called stollen mo ey?did anyone go to jail so far?
Look believe these politicians at your own detriment.
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by ceaser: 6:26pm On Feb 18, 2016
ajebuter:

Bros, beer is a luxury

Just mention bottle water and sachet water

Bottle water: N60

Pure water: N10

Sai Chanji...... grin grin grin

And how much were those before now?
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by oyinkinola: 6:26pm On Feb 18, 2016
[b]...there are very many commentary on depreciation of ₦ nowadays expecially in parallel market, although parallel or black market can be manipulated by the traders, they either do it on their self interest, so those who doesn't beleive in the prosperity of nigeria can harbour $ as they can on imported goods hereby cause hike!
But in my own point of view the depreciation of ₦ is a great success to this nation if well manage to nigeria situation today. the looted fund is in $ and it must be refunded back in $, so if $1 is ₦198 when the money is looted, then if the money is refund today at $1 to ₦350 the nation has gained ₦152!
imagine if $1=₦1000, the gain is ₦902!
So in conclusion if the government managed to refund the $trillion looted and the refunded money, change it in parallel market, this will reduce the pressure on ₦ and the scarcity of $ in parallel market so the ₦=$.

(take note all the money took out of CBN during jonathan regime were changed in parallel market before ditributed)

you have other opinion?[/b]
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by erico2k2(m): 6:27pm On Feb 18, 2016
AmeLonRo:
I feel an investor will gain as s/he will transfer funds in USD or GBP to account in Nigeria. Withdrawal and payment for services can be done in USD or GBP too. So investors will be few bucks and convert it to giant naira.

He won't. Im facing same problem now.Goods I sent home where at rates 400 now I want the money bck so I can re invest I now have to buy at 500.that killed my profit and I have to add more to even withdraw my capital.
The only thing now is invest ur forex I to things like property in Nigeria.
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by Nobody: 6:40pm On Feb 18, 2016
ceaser:

Up till yesterday, GTB charged me 284 to the dollar.
There must have been a third-party involvement_ it's expected that GTB takes their share as the service provider. If it's GTBank direct, I really don't understand how they would charge above the bank's official rate.
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by dearsly(m): 6:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
ghostwritter:

honestly, I feel like saying u ar a fool and highly stupid but i will not say it.

Don't say it else thunder will fire u too
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by henryutd(m): 6:47pm On Feb 18, 2016
dearsly:
Thunder fire BUHARI and Osinbanjo!!!!!

May dia followers fall with the dollars!!!!

Bros. No be dollars dey fall, na naira.

1 Like

Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by 4nobody4every1: 6:57pm On Feb 18, 2016
erico2k2:

He won't. Im facing same problem now.Goods I sent home where at rates 400 now I want the money bck so I can re invest I now have to buy at 500.that killed my profit and I have to add more to even withdraw my capital.
The only thing now is invest ur forex I to things like property in Nigeria.
..Gbam, exportation of goods to Nigeria does not pay much this days considering the dollar / naira wahala, property investment is what l am doing now and l think it is the best because it will appreciate, l cant bring in goods and sell at a loss, it does not make sense...
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by erico2k2(m): 7:04pm On Feb 18, 2016
4nobody4every1:
..Gbam, exportation of goods to Nigeria does not pay much this days considering the dollar / naira wahala, property investment is what l am doing now and l think it is the best because it will appreciate, l cant bring in goods and sell at a loss, it does not make sense...
Yes oh. We nor fit work for NNPC go recieve salary payment of okomiko fulling station lol
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by henryutd(m): 7:05pm On Feb 18, 2016
maleeks:
Please can anyone tell me what to do, My cousin want to lend me USD5000 to get some things done urgently before next week, which i shall refund in three weeks time, my question is, if he sends it via western union or moneygram and the bank exchange it for me at the rate of NGN199, And what if i want to repay him, does it mean i will be paying times 2 of what i'd be loaned.... Please help me on this, or i should tell him to send the money through courrier and i should just go and change it at black market

Let the money be transferred into domiciliary account. You withdraw your dollars and sell to the black market.
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by erico2k2(m): 7:09pm On Feb 18, 2016
henryutd:

Let the money be transferred into domiciliary account. You withdraw your dollars and sell to the black market.
No longer possible the bank liquidised all Dom account and paid in Naira @ official rate. Someone here had that expirience just the other day scroll bck. To the guy who wants forex. Don't they have 3rd party agents like we do in the UK?
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by henryutd(m): 7:09pm On Feb 18, 2016
Plus234:

i wonder how they calculate it, because google says 1$-196 naira

Let google give you the cash as well.

1 Like

Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by henryutd(m): 7:10pm On Feb 18, 2016
erico2k2:

No longer possible the bank liquidised all Dom account and paid in Naira @ official rate. Someone here had that expirience just the other day scroll bck. To the guy who wants forex. Don't they have 3rd party agents like we do in the UK?

Access Bank pays dollars.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by erico2k2(m): 7:23pm On Feb 18, 2016
henryutd:

Access Bank pays dollars.
Today?
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by Amebo123: 7:35pm On Feb 18, 2016
oyinkinola:
[b]...there are very many commentary on depreciation of ₦ nowadays expecially in parallel market, although parallel or black market can be manipulated by the traders, they either do it on their self interest, so those who doesn't beleive in the prosperity of nigeria can harbour $ as they can on imported goods hereby cause hike!
But in my own point of view the depreciation of ₦ is a great success to this nation if well manage to nigeria situation today. the looted fund is in $ and it must be refunded back in $, so if $1 is ₦198 when the money is looted, then if the money is refund today at $1 to ₦350 the nation has gained ₦152!
imagine if $1=₦1000, the gain is ₦902!
So in conclusion if the government managed to refund the $trillion looted and the refunded money, change it in parallel market, this will reduce the pressure on ₦ and the scarcity of $ in parallel market so the ₦=$.

(take note all the money took out of CBN during jonathan regime were changed in parallel market before ditributed)

you have other opinion?[/b]

Bros abeg no vex o, so CBN go carry the money go black market go change like if we recover say $2b? like seriously? I like your economics, Let me assume CBN takes the money to the black market, so if $2b enter black market you think the dollar rate will still be high? or is it not demand more than supply thats making the dollar to be high? So where will the gain come from?
Re: Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar by murmee: 7:39pm On Feb 18, 2016
victorazy:

I predicted 500 by dec
December ke? April is more like it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Ruin By Online Loan App, Don't Know How To Break Free / Is N50,000 Enough To Startup A Barbing Saloon? / Woman Goes Under A Trailer In Calabar, Begs To Be Crushed. Her Goods Were Seized

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.