Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,860 members, 7,817,542 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? (3257 Views)

Check Out These Cool Joomla Templates / Do you know Site(s) that's Similar To Reddit? / How Do I Use Webmail Or Horde Or Squirellmail Mail On My Joomla Site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by yawatide(f): 2:31pm On Jul 09, 2009
Just curious.

I was listening to the radio last night when a doctor was talking about something and happened to mention his org's site. I was expecting something "run-of-the-mill" but must confess that I was impressed at what I saw. I even was more impressed when I noticed a few joomla-type features which made me view source and verify that it was indeed joomla. What do you think?

http://www.docs4patientcare.org/

What cool joomla sites have you come across?

Note: I am not saying this is the best. I am saying this is the best I have seen so far
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by lojik(m): 8:57pm On Jul 09, 2009
I started using joomla 1.5 on my site (about 1 & 1/2 months ago). I had developed it with flash (flash based for over a year b4) i changed.
You can check it out. http://www.afrisoft.org

Though i tried to reduce the evidently joomla features a little.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by yawatide(f): 9:26pm On Jul 09, 2009
yeah lojik:
Other than the left column, joomla is very subtle. It looks cool too, to me cool

I too, though I have been reading and following joomla for 2 years now, just implemented my first joomla website last month. I was a little scared to be honest but it came out pretty okay.

My main fear was integrating my code with the joomla code and to make matters worse, the book I read, though it said joomla 1.5, was using legacy code and the admin panel flagged it as such. See as babes dey panic, he he. I ended up viewing the source of one of the pre-packaged templates and reusing its code before the "legacy" warning went away.

Once again, cool joomla site, layout-wise.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by lojik(m): 9:47pm On Jul 09, 2009
I'm working on developing joomla modules for my site and i'll make it gpl wen i'm thru. I'll post it here when i make it gpl.
I'm starting with a flash gallery and a job portal.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by nigjoomla: 4:59am On Jul 12, 2009
We have quite few joomla sites in Nigeria with great quality.
Check these out
www.insis-ng.com
www.nigeriagraduatejobs.com
www.magcomlogistics.com
www.nigeriadotcom.com
www.immaculateconsortium.com
www.newsinafricang.com
www.hhinigeria.com

It will be  a nice idea as well to start education on using joomla to build site.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by noibilism(m): 10:43am On Jul 15, 2009
www.fountainuniversity.net
www.ht-limited.net
www.keeshconcepts.com(Launching soon)
www.nigerian-muslims.com(Launching soon)
These are all joomla driven websites i built.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by quadrillio(m): 11:40am On Jul 24, 2009
am rebuilding this for Radionigeria,

http://radionigeriaibadan.net/new/

almost thru with this but I think it's cool too
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by yawatide(f): 11:47am On Jul 24, 2009
quadrillo, making the big bucks.  First, Ibadan.  Next, the rest of Nigeria grin

Though a digression and it's not for you to decide, I wonder why Radio Nigeria, in the name of consistency, doesn't have the main domain as say, radionigeria.com and then subdomain the "branch" stations (so yours would be, say, ibadan.radionigeria.com). Seems to make sense to me. There is no need having say, 36 different urls.

Sha, I tried the site 4 times and kept getting "The server at radionigeriaibadan.net is taking too long to respond." in FireFox.  I will try again later in the day.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by lojik(m): 12:06am On Jul 25, 2009
I checked out this site and realised it was joomla.

http://bcosonline.com/newbcos/

quadrillo, that site didnt load on chrome.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by yawatide(f): 11:40am On Jul 25, 2009
lojik: good joomla implementation.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by quadrillio(m): 1:46pm On Aug 18, 2009
lojik:

I checked out this site and realised it was joomla.

http://bcosonline.com/newbcos/

quadrillo, that site didnt load on chrome.

yes, it's joomla, am using chrome to view it right now and it's working perfectly.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by Nobody: 3:47am On Aug 20, 2009
I have been using joomla for about 1 week now, so i am still a baby - www..com
And i still do not know how to make uncategorized not display in my search results.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by allimercy: 11:01am On Aug 20, 2009
DHTML,

It could be that you put some articles on uncategorized . You may need to give name/title to category for all your articles.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 20, 2009
I know i have to put them in a category, but i am looking for a way to skip that and still prevent the uncategorized from showing in the search result.
I will study the search module eventually and figure out how to get it done
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by lojik(m): 7:50pm On Aug 20, 2009
Thx yawa.

@dhtml
If u use php code inclusion modules that make u code php directly in articles, u can use include() to display your content in the article you want it. A search on the contents of the included file will not return any results as long as the search word/phrase is not in your article topic. this is because d joomla search performs the serch in the joomla db and your content is not in the db. It works for me.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by Nobody: 2:53am On Aug 21, 2009
thanks for the insight. I have downloaded the include stuff, but i have not used it yet.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Aug 23, 2009
I have checked out the site. Not much to comment about though.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by inf8nity(m): 9:26pm On Aug 27, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

Just curious.

I was listening to the radio last night when a doctor was talking about something and happened to mention his org's site. I was expecting something "run-of-the-mill" but must confess that I was impressed at what I saw. I even was more impressed when I noticed a few joomla-type features which made me view source and verify that it was indeed joomla. What do you think?

http://www.docs4patientcare.org/

What cool joomla sites have you come across?

Note: I am not saying this is the best. I am saying this is the best I have seen so far

@ yawa-ti-de
I think the site is not joomla if u go to the homepage and hover ur cursor on the rss and print icons u'll notice they have .aspx extensions on the status bar Joomla is purely PHP. Secondly try accessing http://www.docs4patientcare.org/administrator and you get a 404 error page All joomla websites have this admin login page. I think this is asp.net cms. wink
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by yawatide(f): 2:13am On Aug 28, 2009
inf8nity:

I can tell you for a fact that as at the time the site was advertised, it was a joomla! site. At the time the site was advertised, the organization was a coalition of 400 doctors. It didn't even have a "contribute" button. It was basically a 5-page website. Probably done by one of the doctors.

Chances are that as they gained more publicity, some company approached them for a redesign and they went for it. They were probably sold on the fact that the site wasn't "web 2.0" enough. Such shouldn't come as a surprise and happens all the time.

Again, I state for a fact that as at the time the site was advertised, it was a joomla site. Now, you make me wish I had pasted a screenshot of the view source tongue
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by inf8nity(m): 1:55pm On Aug 28, 2009
@yawa-ti-de next time pls do post a screen shot! grin
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by badesemowo(m): 8:36am On Sep 01, 2009
The new GTB site is running Joomla.
www.smartbuyng.com
Turkish Airlines Nigeria. www.turkishairlinesng.com (we made that one)

@infinity . Did you know you can actually move the administrator folder, remove the tp=1 from showing module position, in Joomla, not that I think the doctors would have the resources (and business case) to do that but that its possible.

More high profile guys (internationally) are using open source systems instead of investing in new codes. They invest in removing the common fingerprints of the codes.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by yawatide(f): 10:31am On Sep 01, 2009
badesemowo,

thy.com is pretty neat. Good job!
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by inf8nity(m): 11:25am On Sep 01, 2009
badesemowo:

@infinity . Did you know you can actually move the administrator folder, remove the tp=1 from showing module position, in Joomla, not that I think the doctors would have the resources (and business case) to do that but that its possible.
More high profile guys (internationally) are using open source systems instead of investing in new codes. They invest in removing the common fingerprints of the codes.

@badesemowo thanks i only knew of the tp=1 hack but not the admin folder! Coming to think of it that's really a lot of work considering there are a large number of components and modules that when installed depend on files in the administrator folder. One will have to go through lots of files especially for a large site changing the file path in the scripts. When it comes to updating components and modules instead of the few clicks upgrade u still have to go through the "painful process" again! cheesy
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by badesemowo(m): 12:27pm On Sep 01, 2009
Well its actually not that hard.
Joomla defines the component folder and administrative folder by a global variable:
JPATH_COMPONENT , JPATH_ADMINISTRATOR
so you just have to change it in one place.

except ofcourse kid developers that point to the administrative path absolutely.

and most upgrades can be done by just overwritting the adminstrative directory, where ever it is.

the only thing is why bother if you are not working for a bank, or government.

@yawatide , thank you.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by obinna79: 8:21am On Sep 12, 2009
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by lojik(m): 9:03am On Sep 12, 2009
Lagos State Internal Revenue Service
www.lirs.net or www.lsbir.org

just changed the site to joomla. check it out.
Re: What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? by lojik(m): 4:58pm On Sep 12, 2009
Nigeria Internet Registration Association: http://www.nira.org.ng
Sign On Africa: http://www.signonafrica.net

(1) (Reply)

How To Drive Traffic To Any Website Or Blog / Sendblaster Pro 4 Licence Key / Reasons Why Blogging Can Make You A Better Academic Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.