Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,660 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

Exposed! Why Stakeholders Want Sale Of 700mhz Spectrum To MTN Reversed - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Exposed! Why Stakeholders Want Sale Of 700mhz Spectrum To MTN Reversed (720 Views)

Telecoms Operators Lament Poor Spectrum Management In Nigeria / NCC: Why We Reversed Plans To Hike Data Price / How To Subscribe To MTN Unlimited Data For 150 Naira A Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Exposed! Why Stakeholders Want Sale Of 700mhz Spectrum To MTN Reversed by TechRez(m): 5:34pm On Feb 19, 2016
Stakeholders in the nation’s telecom industry have described the recent sale of 700MHz spectrum by the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) to MTN Nigeria as illegal and have called for its outright cancellation.

According to the stakeholders who are made up of staff of other major telecom companies and investors in the telecoms industry, the NBC has neither legal nor statutory right to make such sale, a mandate they said belong only to the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

They allege that MTN Nigeria used underhand means to get the NBC to approve the sale of the 700MHz spectrum to them under controversial and non-transparent circumstances which did not follow due process and does not comply with the Communication’s Act 2003 as well as the Procurement Act 2007 both of which states that such assets should be sold through a competitive bidding process.

Stakeholders argue that MTN got the spectrum under the guise of a digital television transmission (DTT) licence when the real intention was to use it for their broadband services; clearly a deceptive means to bypass the legitimate process of bidding and access the spectrum before the agreed date to the detriment of other telecoms operators.

Reacting to the on-going controversy, Mr Uche Chukwukere, a Lagos based telecom investor called for the cancellation of the 700MHz spectrum sale to MTN by the NBC. “The licence should be withdrawn. In fact, the officials of NBC who approved the sale should all be arrested because NBC has no right to assign spectrum to a telecommunications company. That is the job of the NCC,” he stated.

As the wheels of Justice turns against N34 billion MTN-NBC illegal deal

Finally, I am delighted that the anti- corruption wind finally blew away Emeka Mba, former DG of the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) who was shown the exit as President Buhari’s broom strives to cleanse our system.

This brings me to this question, was the NBC sale of the 700MHz spectrum licence to MTN legal and transparent? The sale of the licence was one of the most...
culled from+= http://www.techrez.com/why-stakeholders-want-sale-of-700mhz-spectrum-to-mtn-reversed/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Exposed! Why Stakeholders Want Sale Of 700mhz Spectrum To MTN Reversed by Asiri1991: 5:36pm On Feb 19, 2016
Not again
Re: Exposed! Why Stakeholders Want Sale Of 700mhz Spectrum To MTN Reversed by Asiri1991: 5:41pm On Feb 19, 2016
Ivestigate the deal. Fine Empty Hen again.

Meanwhile, FTC. I dedicate this to my potential girlfriend.
Re: Exposed! Why Stakeholders Want Sale Of 700mhz Spectrum To MTN Reversed by yungchief(m): 5:54pm On Feb 19, 2016
E no concern me
Re: Exposed! Why Stakeholders Want Sale Of 700mhz Spectrum To MTN Reversed by Nobody: 4:12am On Feb 20, 2016
Na them know. If it means mtn would finally deliver 5G speeds then I'm all for it.

1 Like

Re: Exposed! Why Stakeholders Want Sale Of 700mhz Spectrum To MTN Reversed by MrBONE2(m): 8:55am On Feb 20, 2016
NCC and other Telcom Operators kept playing Guwara-Guwara with
eeeMppppTyyy hhheeeN
since 2015 BC. grin

Gyarbonka Shakalalalalaaaa grin

(1) (Reply)

Uneccessary Adverts On My Phone : Help / Processors: Infinix Note2 X600 Vs Gionee Marathon M5 Mini / These Are The Cheapest Smartphones In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.